JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Even if we could turn our backs on our faith, that would not change some of the sufferings and tribulations we face. The only way we can grow (in faith) is by applying resistance, which according to the scriptures it procude patient and unswerving endurance. Challenges that we experience makes us to reflect and realise that our hope is in Christ.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

Let's check the dictionary

<I>tribulation: "distress or suffering resulting from oppression or persecution ; also : a trying experience"<I>

not a pleasurable thing, nor is suffering.

The underlying message is that we as humans can choose how to respond to our stimulus. We're not Pavlov

We rejoice in our sufferings "because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope".

Perseverance - as we persevere, God produces in us one of the fruits of the Spirit, patience.

Tried character - the longer we walk in the Spirit, we add experience, that which has been tested.

Hope - enables us to know why we are who we are and where we are going.

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Through suffering and tribulations, God develops His character in us. Perseverance gives us the ability to hold out for something we believe in in the face of difficulty. Character is built by going through difficult circumstances and strengthens our faith in Jesus Christ. Hope enables us to know why we are who we are and where we are going. Hope lets us look forward to the coming of Jesus with certainty.

Our sufferings are what produce character in us via endurance, perseverance, determination, vision and all the things that are required to deal with suffering. Without these qualities no-one gets anywhere. The eternal principle works in the world (eg if you want to achieve a profession or career you have to give up certain things in order to achieve others) as well as in Christian life. Christian vision goes far beyond worldly vision into eternity which is with Christ, and therefore adds a great new perspective to our lives. "All things work together for good to those who are called according to God's purpose (Romans 8:28). So for us particularly, suffering is turned to wisdom, understanding, perspicacity (look it up - it has become a favourite word of mine lately to describe a certain quality). It brings us to a point where God can begin to do something more with us - well, that is if we are constant in faithfulness and hope through times of suffering. When we look back at what suffering has produced in our lives we should see strong character strengths forming. We begin to know who we are in Christ and learn the power of His Spirit. When we look at others suffering we should encourage them in character development through this means. When suffering is ahead of us we know that Christ will never leave us or forsake us, but enable us to "walk through the valley of the shadow of death" fearing no evil, comforted by the staff (God's Word?), looking at a table set before us in the presence of our enemies (suffering), annointed with oil for the journey, with mercy and grace following us, and dwelling in the House of the Lord forever. Then there is the victory to look forward to, the answers to prayer, the grace of the Father in provision, the fact that there is a reason why we must walk through this and we can look forward to what God will do through it. (eg Those who have been released from drugs minister with understanding to those still in their grip). We cry out to God for wisdom and sometimes suffering is the spur that brings it on!

Perseverance is the beginning. I am working with a child at school to help him focus better in class. As he gains little successes he sets himself further goals, without me having to set them (though I sometimes motivate them). Perseverance is pre-requisite to achievement and success. Success is basic to (right) confidence (yes, our confidence is in God because we know a bit more than those of the world) and unity with the way things are. Challenge (goal setting) is essential to perseverance. These are the tools of character building.

Tried character is much lacking, even among Christians today. Character means being in touch with reality (as God sees it). Character is integrity that goes beyond Sunday into the family life and workplace. Character is well understood by everyone, as we all know what we expect of our leaders, politicians, and in particular the world knows exactly what it expects of Christians! They may not practice it themselves, but they know exactly how Christians ought to behave. Character means leaving peer-group pressure behind and doing what is right. Character means putting aside the techniques commonly used for manipulating society, family, associates, and keeping the picture clear and clean, bringing to light that which is suspect and replacing it with that which is accountable. Character means rock-hard standards together clear-sightedness, tender sensibility, total vulnerability and gentleness of heart. Rudyard Kipling's poem "If" describes it pretty well.

Hope equates to vision of what is coming, and with God that is everything! It is not comparable to the scant promise of the lottery ticket. It is comparable with the hope of seeing daylight arrive in the morning, spring time arrive after winter, judgement at the end of time, and Jesus coming again. We are betting on certainties! The odds may be long but they invariably pay up.

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because God uses them to develop his character in us.

Perseverance is important because it gives us the ability to hold out until the end in the face of difficulties.

Tried character is going through a test or ordeal and having the ability to stand it or come through it. It is experience that we as Christians gain from.

Hope is built in us through these experiences and gives us the assurance that through the resurrection of Jesus, we will be resurrected and be prepared to go to heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Sufferings and tribulations, in the life of a believer, will always have an outcome with hope. We endure trials and tribulations in many forms however, with God's help, we are able to endure. The outcome is always promising, no matter what the situation. If we live through the trial, then we have obtained, only with God's help, character and strength that is pleasing to God. Now, if we do not live through suffering and tribulation, our hope does not end, for we will spend eternity with God. So, my point, either way, if we continue to trust God, endure and follow through, there is always hope in the end.

Hope: Brings confidence because we know God's promises. Whatever outcome this life brings, we will always have the promises of God, to stand on. For those who do not know God, their understanding of "hope," can only just get them by.

Perseverance: Gives believers strength. Without the strength which only God provides, how would we be able to withstand the next trial? Therefore, strength from God is an amazing thing. It allows us to sustain.

Character: Without character, believers would most likely be weak. The type of character in a believer can only come from God allowing trials to build us up.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, we rejoice THROUGH our suffering, not because of it. This shows the character that God builds in us. We then become the beacon He wishes us to be to the lost world. What more incredible witness is there than the suffering Christian singing the Lord's praises...think of all those martyrs singing hymns to our Father as they were being led their death!

We suffer because the world rains on the just and unjust. We persevere because we know the Lord is with us in all things. We hope of things to come (the Prize that awaits us in the end) and have no fear of what may come here on earth...we know where we will be in the end! And, Christ's character shines through us in the midst of our tribulations.

There are elements involved in perserverance

one is spiritual growth Eph 4:15 Instead by speaking the truth in spirit of love we must grow up in every way to Christ who is the head

2 is fruitfullness John 15:5 I am the vine and you are the branches Those who remain in me and I in them will bear much fruit.

3 God' armor Ephesians 6 18 Do all this in prayer asking for God's help Pray on every occasion as the Spirit leads For this reason keep alert and never give up pry always for all Gods people

4. Chastening Heb 12 7 Endure suffering as being a Father's punishment: your suffering shows God is treating you as His children Was there ever a child that was not punished by his Father?

5. Assurance 2 Tim 1-12 and it is for this reason that I suffer these things But I am still full of confidence because I know whom I have trusted and I am sure that he is able to keep safe until that Day what he has entrusted to me.

6 Salvation Mat 10:22 Everyone will hate you because of me but He who holds out to the end will be saved

7. Reward Galations 6:9 So let us not tire of doing good for if we do not give up the time will come when we will reap the harvest

Perserverace develops our christian character and as we experiece God though our trials and victories it increases our hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Our sufferings and tribulations are training grounds for us. For our testimonies of God's goodness and mercy come from them. We share with others how God has moved mightily on our behalf as we experience peace in our trials and later the manifestations of our victories. God is faithful! He will deliver us. Perseverance is bearing up under pressure holding on to promises that we have received from God, knowing that He is in full control. Tried character is important because it is the strength in character that enables you to remain firm in your conviction that God is with you. You are not alone. It is the realization that assures you that when you have come through this trial your faith will be stronger, your love walk stronger and your relationship with God will be closer.

Hope is important because through it you know the outcome, you will be victorious. God has said so, you believe it and its a done deal.

Why should we rejoice in suffering and tribulation? I believe that when we rejoice when our flesh would be beside itself, it is a spirit not our own. When we rejoice in those times, it is showing faith in the promises of God and that our eyes are on something that is beyond ourselves. The more we perservere, I believe we grow in our endurance to fight the selfish desires of the flesh and submit to the selfless desires of the spirit. When we succeed, we gain ground in the spirit realm of our existence. The more we submit, the stronger the spirit can be seen in us, freely giving us His character and allowing us the hope he will continue to help us and grow strong within us.

Why should we rejoice in suffering and tribulation? I believe that when we rejoice when our flesh would be beside itself, it is a spirit not our own. When we rejoice in those times, it is showing faith in the promises of God and that our eyes are on something that is beyond ourselves. The more we perservere, I believe we grow in our endurance to fight the selfish desires of the flesh and submit to the selfless desires of the spirit. When we succeed, we gain ground in the spirit realm of our existence. The more we submit, the stronger the spirit can be seen in us, freely giving us His character and allowing us the hope he will continue to help us and grow strong within us.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=793

perseverance

or patience is where we can bear up to times of trouble and difficulties. Because we know what the future holds (maybe not how we get to this future but what is in the end) we can bear up under times that are difficult. We have our Lord to lean on.

Character

As we work through difficult times God builds within us a strengh or character that can strongly place what is before us. We are tried..tested and passed

Hope

We know what is ahead...we know why we are here and where we will be going. There is no guess work to be done. As we plod along we can keep our eyes focused on what is to be and work our why through what ever we need to face to get there

Thank you Lord for giving to us this Hope that without our lives would be empty and lost.

• 2 weeks later...

:):)

We should rejoice in are our sufferings and because it builds character.

Perseverance will help you get help with other people if that happen to them and it will builds character too. Tried character will come from perseverance and will help with other people. Hope is looking forward to something that you know is going happen.

:):)

1.we are supposed to be happy because we learn from the bad things that happen to us.

2. a. Perserverance is being able to stick to what you believe.

b. Tried character is when you have passed a test when someone is testing you.

c. Hope is when we know what is going to happen and we look forward to it. For example,

we know that heaven is coming.

We should be happy in our sufferings because it's for God and it shows that we're doing something right. Because if you're being persecuted for your faith, you're living the life of Jesus, because naturally, man hates all that is holy and rightous. It's important to persevere because that's the ability to stay strong in your faith. Tried character is being tempted then passing that and not falling into the temptation. Hope has two different meanings. For most, it's the act of looking forward to something, but for us as christians, it means that we know something so much greater is coming and we just can't wait.

We rejoice in sufferings and tribulations because in the sufferings we might get something good out of it.

the importance of perseverance is so we can have real expierence and we know what to do when we're older.

of tried character is that we can know what to do when we are older and we have already had expierence to what we have to do

of hope is that in our hearts we know what is going to happen and that God does not ever lie to us so we can now be prepared for what will happen in the future

• 1 month later...

We should rejoice because God uses sufferings to build our character. If we are constantly on the mountaintop we will forget that God is our only hope in life. He must be all that we need at all times.

Perseverance: This is what keeps us going. God gives us strength to push through the hard times toward our Eternal Reward.

Character: This is who we really are. This is our innermost being. God works in us to make us more like Him.

Hope: This is what we look forward to- the Eternal Reward of Heaven, which we know is to come!

• 3 weeks later...

Q2: We should rejoice in our suffering and tribulations because it helps to build our relationship with God through faith and believeth. If we didn't go through suffering tribulations then we wouldn't see the work of our father, Jesus Christ.

Perseverance means "endurance", exercising our faith during suffering. Character means "qualities and virture" which will strengthen us to draw closer to God. Hope means "confident and trust" that the love of God has been poured out and we receives the Holy Spirit which encourages us in our hope in God.

Thank you, Shirley

• 5 weeks later...

According to Paul I can rejoice in suffering(to press, crush, compress, squezeed) because what it will produce in my life; this I may add becomes a reality IF I do suffer acknowledging that everything has a purpose, that everything comes from God, that He is working in me His will and that I must show Christ to the world thru it. Suffering with the wrong attitude, as bitterness, anger, resentment, coveting or envying other's circumstances will not produce the fruit that Paul is explaining here: perseverance, tried character and hope. The bible dictionary defines perseverance as "the steadfast effort to follow God's commands and to do His work". The KJV translates this as "patience" and Vines defines it as "endurance as to things or circumstances, longsuffering, endurance toward people. It is associated with hope in 1 Thes.1:3and refers to the reality that does not surrender to circumstances or succumb under trial". "Tried character" is defined as proof of genuiness, trustworthiness. The act of proving oneself true".And finally the word hope as defined by Vines is "desiring of some good with expectation of obtaining it". Genuine hope is not wishful thinking , but a firm assurance about things that are unseen and still in the future(Nelson's Bible dictionary)

The importance of "perseverance" or "patience" in my life is first of all that is a part of the fruit of the Spirit which I have in me(John 14:16-17) and therefore is part of who I am in Christ. Patience is extremely important to be developed in the believer's life simply because it demonstrates an unshakable stand on the fact that God is in control(Job 36-40) , sitted on His throne(Ps.11:4) and sovereign above everything. Also it shows confidence in the love that God has for us. When I allow circumstances, people or issues to unsettle me then I am like the ship on choppy waters...coming an dgoing and not knowing where it will end.

The importance of "tried character" in the believer is that by God's grace the believer can be someone trustworthy. After all , we are supposed to show to the world the character of God. As we steadily wait on the Lord and He works in us patience, our character will be tried by different situations/people and we will be able to be people that "do not speak of both sides of our mouths" and not have a double mind like it says in James.

The importance of hope in the believer is simply that the believer makes God and His Word his very object of hope and that whatever God says is as good as done because God is faithful. The hope that we have is not based on emotions but on the pure word of God and on His character. Those who know Him by name will trust in Him.Ps.9:10

Paul tells us to rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because of what it produces. Many believes wonder why God allows His people to suffer. Suffering and tribulations produce in us the character of God's nature. Take time to read about the character of God's nature by reading the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5:21-24. This is what we are striving to be like.

Suffering produces perseverance or patience. Perseverance is the capacity to hold out in the face of difficult situations. I personally call it stick-a-bility. Perseverance is the attitude of the new testament believer.

Perseverance is what produces character in us. Many of us have heard the coinage "character is who you are when no one is looking." "character is how you conduct yourself behind the scenes." That is saying alot. How do we conduct ourselves when no one is looking? Many Christians have two lives. They have a life in church and a life outside of church and neither of them cross paths or have anything to do with the other. Many Christians act one way at home and another way in church and their is absolutely no consistency. Character is defined as experience that you have obtained while being tested. Character is the experience of perseverance.

Character produces hope. Hope is the expectation of the future. Hope is the expectancy of fulfillment. We cannot make it in life without hope. We are going through all of this suffering in order to build grow in patience, build character so that we can obtain a fulfillment of promise. What is that promise? 1 John 3:2 tells us that when we see Jesus we shall be like Him. That is what our hope is. We are going through all of this suffering and tribulation so we can come out on the other side looking more and more like Jesus.