JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Conquering Overwhelmingly

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to?

They were fed to the lions in the Colosseum for starters. They were kicked out of home by their own families sometimes too. Their property was seized by the authorities in some cases. In some cases they were just killed outright by the soldiers or police.

What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today?

In some countries all the above persecutions are still being practiced (apart from feeding them to the lions). In the Western world the worst that can happen is something on the social level, where we're ostracized by former friends for becoming Christians. We could also be passed over for promotions at work if the boss is anti-Christian. Also, our Christian standards might make us at odds with our workmates and colleagues in the win at all cost world that exists today. That is not really a peril as such but could still be detrimental.

Thank God we aren't likely to become martyrs.

How does this passage reassure us?

This passage reminds us that no matter what happens to us in this life nothing can stop God from loving us, or separate us from His love in Christ Jesus.

In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

The worst anyone can do to us is to destroy our bodies. Elsewhere in Scripture we're told whom to fear. In that passage we're told to fear God, not man who can only destroy our bodies but afterwards can do nothing more to us. It is God whom we should fear who can destroy both body and soul in hell. Thankfully that won't happen to Christians and this passage in Romans assures us of that.

So, no matter what hardship or peril we may face if we hold to our faith in Jesus eventually we will be with Him for all eternity. What we're talking about here is the big picture. We come out on top as joint heirs in Christ! God will place EVERYTHING under Christ's feet and we as Jesus' brothers and sisters in God's family will share in that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? How does this passage reassure us? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

The perils of the early Christians were hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness danger, and death. Today, we Christians are still being persecuted. But we have one thing in our favor

• 6 months later...

The death and destruction Roman Christians endured is unquestionable. The Christians of today face a psychological peril. Separated by denomination, race, class, and wealth, blinded by the Medias false true’s, in a time when the American dream replaces Gods promise to us all. My faith rest in God, Romans ( 8:37) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

My God bless us all

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? How does this passage reassure us? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

The early Roman Christians were terribly persecuted and many suffered imprisonment and martyrdom in the arena under Nero and other evil rulers。Christians today are still persecuted in many countries suffering discrimination and imprisonment, beatings, torture, martyrdom。

Most Christians in the Western world have different perils, for example the distractions of the entertainment industry, materialism, money and power are also big distractions, and not just in the West, I live in China and these things are many peoples ’god‘ here。

No matter what we are going through, God is with us and present to help us, he gives us the grace and is with us in the trials。We are able to “overwhelmingly conquer” because God works in every situation in our lives and is in us, and Christ has conquered everything even death。And when we die we will go to heaven!

• 2 months later...

(Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? Famine, persecution, imprisonment, death, and destruction.

What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? Persecution, death, imprisonment, rejection, and physical abuse.

How does this passage reassure us? That no matter what we go through, even death, we are more than conquerors through Him. The battle has been won. We are victors through Christ Jesus and that His love will forever be sealed with us. Nothing or no one can take that away!

In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face? We overwhelmingly conquer because of Jesus. He intercedes for us. He fights our battles. He walks with us and holds our hand as we "walk through the valley of the shadow of death." As we are lead as sheep to the slaughter, we know He's by our side, and that just because our enemies can do harm to our bodies, they CANNOT touch our spirit!

• 1 year later...

They were exposed to persecution, death, hardship. We are exposed to the same things including ridicule and abuse.. It assures that Christ has us firmly in His grasp and His care and He will protect us ultimately from harm although we will suffer, He will guard . See psalm 91. Ultimately we will conquer because we are held in his bosom and are united with Jesus who will keep us safe in His protection

• 1 year later...

The early Christians were exposed to all sorts of perils, beatings, slander, crucifixion, burned alive or boiled in oil.

Today Christians especially in foreign lands are exposed to rape, beatings, prison and death by execution. In America and most western Europe, Christians are only beginning to be scrutinized, belittled, crosses and biblical quotes are being removed from public places. Children are no longer to pray in school and evolution has replaced creationism. Satan is once again gaining the upper hand in society. Christians in America seem to have fallen silent to the ridicule of the church and the rise of the homosexual behavior which is being accepted in society as normal behavior.

The passage assures us that as believers in Christ, that we are conquerors of all types of trails and persecutions. We are reassured as Christ  has suffered and overcome the world, so will we.

Despite all the obstacles we face today, we must remember that Christ has suffered first for us and He prevailed all the wiles of evil. So too, we will overcome all if we keep our eyes fixed on Him and His love for us.       

• 7 months later...

Perils include:  "Persecution", Tribulations, "Hardship", "Nakedness", famine, peril, sword. (notes)

Around the world Christians are exposed to all of these. Here in North America persecution and perils of often more subtle. The notes proclaim - " Some people see every problem and difficulty as a sign of God's disfavor. Wrong! An enemy has done this. ...We are still living in a war zone. But none of these thing [(ABOVE] have power to drive a wedge between us and God. " We cannot allow this to happen. 

​We as Children of God overwhelmly conquer, for we have the Lord our God on our side."If god is for us who is there who can be against us"(31) Despite all the perils the only one that is fatal is the choice of freewill- does one chose good or evil. Otherwise we are God's children and with His aid, the suffering and death of His Son and the sending of the Holy Spirit, we will overwhelmingly conquer.  

None of the above perils, nothing suffering or even death will separate us from the Love of Jesus Christ the Lord.As Origen wrote "If I suffer persecution and confess Christ before men, I am certain that he will confess me also before his Father. Famine cannot not disturb me , for I have the bread of life which comes down from Heaven... Nakedness does not confound me , because I am clothed in the Lord Jesus Christ." Origen in Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, Gerald Bray , 240. 

• 3 years later...

The early Christians in Rome had some very rough times. The fact that they wouldn’t worship the emperor especially made it very dangerous for Christians at this time. To top this off there was much conflict between Jewish & Gentile Christians. After Paul wrote the letter to the Romans, the emperor Nero waged all out persecution against all Christians. Nero, in fact was known for lighting Christians on fire to light up his gardens at night. The persecution of early Roman Christians is well documented and was truly a dangerous and trying time for Christians in Rome in the early days of the Christian movement.

Christians are still persecuted heavily in certain parts of the world today. Christians are murdered and jailed daily in many countries, in fact there are countries where they will not only sentence you to death by starvation and being overworked in slave labor camps, but their children are also given the same sentences.

The passage in question gives me reassurance of the fact that I will not have to stand trial post resurrection as so many teach. This was the best part of this whole study for me because it gave me more ammunition to add to the fact that we have been forgiven our sins before heading to God’s throne, a time I have always speculated was a time for those who died unsaved to have their sentences read and cast into the furnace just like Jesus described at the end of Matthew, chapter 25. Jesus said He was bringing our rewards with him, Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. The verses Romans 8:33-34, which have taken on a very special meaning to me was truly the best part of this whole Bible study for me. Maybe I didn’t see it because I don’t remember getting that far in the book of Romans because it seemed so hard for me to understand. Romans 8:28, however is one I have quoted often because a good friend showed me great encouragement at an extremely dark moment in my life.

We overwhelmingly conquer in that even though we may be harassed, tortured, or even killed for our faith in Christ we still share the eternal inheritance for standing strong for our beliefs. What comes after conquering? Occupy, of course and spend eternity with Jesus.

• 2 years later...

The early Christians were killed by lions, burned at the stake or even sawn in two like Isaiah.

Christians now are imprisoned, tortured or killed.

It reassures us because we know that whatever we go through He will be with us. That nothing can separate us from His love.

We overwhelmingly conquer because we know that the world will see that we are not defeated by our troubles or difficulties. That instead we rely on God to help us. It is through Him that we are able to be overcomers. It is our love and faith that overcome anything. 

• 7 months later...

They were exposed to much persecution, famine, hardships, being ostracized, prison, violent death. 

Depending on where you live, Christians too are persecuted in a similar way. Families are ripped apart, imprisonment, persecution etc is also faced by many. 

We are assured here that nevermind what we experience, it cannot stop Christ's love to reach us. Even amidst that difficult time Christ is there and will not leave us. 

When we are through all the persecution and pass over the vale of death we overwhelmingly have conquered whatever the enemy has put in our path and are with Christ forever more. 

WATCH AND PRAY

• 2 years later...

Why didn't God rescue and deliver Polycarp and the other martyrs?

That's a haunting question for in the time of our greatest peril, God may NOT preserve our lives. It's difficult to reconcile this with a God who supplies our every need while we're alive, a God who counts the hairs on our heads, who loves us with a boundless love ... but then lets us be murdered brutally??? To my little mind, this feels like God forsaking us.

I know I'm not supposed to ask "why" but this terrifies me.

Increasingly, Christians in the US are brought before hostile courts and governmental bureaucrats. I know of many people who have been, or still are, persecuted even though they have committed no crime. In many cases, they are persecuted for doing God's will in a particular circumstance, God's explicit will as laid out in scripture. So, the era of having a benign government is over, folks. What is now court-jail may soon end with the taking of our lives.

Worldwide, Christians are greatly persecuted. Increasingly so. Thus martyrdom is more, not less, likely. 

I don't find this passage reassuring because I cannot resolve the idea that a good God lets His children be murdered. I know that pain and suffering are part of our fallen life ... but God can alleviate and deliver us if He so chooses. 

The conquering of which Paul writes must not refer to this life, but to the next one in the heavenly realms. Only in heaven can Christians conquer. But in heaven, there's nothing to conquer. No sin. No death. No evil.

Again, God could, if He so chose, rescue and deliver us in this life as Paul was sprung from prison by the angels. But strong Christians such as Polycarp were NOT rescued by God, so this final act of His mercy cannot be depended upon. I don't know what to think. The God who supplies our needs, who promises to a generous giver that He'll be blessed, may choose to have us dismembered and painfully murdered? This doesn't make sense.

Yes, having an unshakeable faith in the time of martyrdom is laudable and ultimately a gift of God, but how does this conquer? In the end, our murderers prevailed. We may "put on God's armor" and have legions of warring angels defending us, and still be murdered.

"Lord, help me understand this. Help me see you as a GOOD God, one who cares for me as your child. Help me get over my overwhelming fears of abandonment in the moment of need, that You'll turn Your head from me and not hear my cries when I call to You. I want to believe You'll rescue and deliver me. I want to be bold and confident in Your mercy and love. I want to tenaciously fight the bullies and evil-doers in the government. I want to wield Your weapons of prayer and win ... not lose. Yes, Lord, heaven is the ultimate prize, but I want to know You care enough for me here, on earth, to not let me suffer a fate like Polycarp. Forgive my unbelief. Forgive my fears and lack of faith in your goodness.  Amen."