JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fit and Useful

I don’t have good plates and silverware but my kids do and they put it out when there is a special day like Christmas. I use my everyday tableware all the time. I think Paul is telling us that we need to be already to help the Lord when ever he calls on us. We “cleanse ourselves” when we stay connect to the word of God.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 TIMOTHY 2:20-22). 
When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everyday tableware? What point is Paul making with this example? In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use? 
In any large house there are all kinds of utensils, not only gold and silver, which are articles to be kept and displayed, and used on special occasions; but also, wood and clay vessels, which are used on a daily basis and are not so keenly shown. Similarly, a church contains noble, honourable believers (the gold and silver vessels) who are useful to the Lord for the highest purposes. These are the brave soldiers, the disciplined athletes, and the hard-working farmers. At the same time there are the less noble, less honourable believers (the wood and clay vessels) who are useful only for the menial ordinary purposes. These are the cowardly soldiers, the lethargic athletes, and the lazy farmers. All believers should have a desire to serve the Lord – to become noble vessels. I think Paul is saying that if we will effectively cleanse ourselves, we will become a utensil for honour. Now, the way to cleanse ourselves is to become detached from that which is evil and attached to that which is good. By staying close to our Lord, and separating ourselves from the lusts of the flesh - the **** for money, fame, and pleasures. By purifying ourselves so that sin does not interfere with what God wants us to do. God can only use clean vessels in holy service. “Be clean, you who bear the vessels of the Lord (Isa 52:11).