JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?

First of all to remind Timothy that he is held accountable by God, the Father, and by Christ Jesus to faithfully carry out this charge to preach the Word of God. . . Secondly, to encourage him to give it his best effort at all times because, the people may not always be in a frame of mind to receive the Word of God and it will involve correction, rebuke, and encouraging to get the message out. . . .

He is encouraged to be ready when it is convenient and when it is inconvenient so that there are no missed opportunities to preach and/or teach the Word of God. . .

I feel the problem Paul is trying to overcome is the temptation to either compromise and not be as aggressive as it may be necessary because of the resistance of the people

• 6 months later...

I think the reason that Paul has resorted to the command in verses 1 and 2 was to let Timothy know that it is Jesus is the one that is going to be judging him and not the people that he is teaching. Therefore he can teach them the truth and not fear their judgment.

He was telling us that we should always be in God

• 2 years later...

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?

Paul is aggressively and strongly encouraging Timothy to preach the Word of God without fear and being timid.  Additionally, Paul is instructing Timothy to preach the Gospel with a sense of urgency because Jesus Christ is coming again and at some point people are going to turn from sound doctrine to doctrines they are comfortable with.  Furthermore, preach the gospel in situations that are both comfortable and/or uncomfortable. 

Paul is trying to overcome fear and complacancy in ministry.  This speaks to me in that I too should minister to others with a sense of urgendy without fear or reluctance.

• 5 months later...

3a)Paul wants Timothy to know importance of his the command&that he’s calling on heavenly powers to witness his request. I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels...." (1 Timothy 5:21),to be ready to share,teach,the Word,persistently,at all times that Jesus is the Messiah,saviour of all, and is the One whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead." (Acts 10:42).He wants Timothy to stand firm&speak with confidence in Christ.

b)Paul knows his time is limited,&urges Timothy to refute actions of opposition,even when fearful, so all hearers are prepared for Christs return.He wants no oportunity to be missed&many given chance to be taught winsomly the gospel,be encouraged &equipped to pursue right path. UrgingTimothy to be persistent faithfully in this& not giving up when discouraged,or in apathy,whatever is going on around him."... While we wait for the blessed hope -- the glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ." (Titus 2:13) and he urges Timothy to preach about Christ’s life&teaching, so that many will be saved &brought into the kingdom of God before Jesus comes again.

c)He knows the task is not easy but requires great patience,persistence&is a serious calling convincing others of right path,correcting where they have gone astray.

d)To continue learning,so I am more prepared to share accurately Christ’s messages with others using all opportunities given to me.

• 10 years later...

Apostle Paul wants to underscore the immense responsibility that has been entrusted to Timothy.  Ministers have grave responsibilities to God and Jesus Christ who are Witnesses to of their work.  Ministers need to fit for the Master's use.  Ministers have to be ready for the final judgement "his appearing and his kingdom," where the reward of fidelity will be held out to faithful servants. Paul was so urgent in his last charge to Timothy; Paul wanted the Gospel to be propagated.

Instancy is crucial.   The Gospel is not a mere esoteric course on metaphysical studies.  The kerygma message is present salvation.  The soteria that Paul believed in was so important in the present time; not a mere esoteric theological thesis to be debated.   St John wonderfully preached how the Gospel of Christ is for NOW.  Salvation and Divine healing are for today. Timothy must give an account of his ministry at the Final judgement, so we to must be ready.

I must ever be instant in season, out of season. 1 Peter 2:9 illustrated the grand call of the ministry; we don't do it for filthy lucre.  We are not like the sons of Korah not offer an unholy fire nor do we put the Ark of the Covenant on a mere wagon. More so, I need to seek the Lord ever more for the salvation of souls.  Moses had to spend 40 years in the desert to become a fitting vessel for the Master's use.

• 2 months later...

When do people command others?

• First, people command others when they’re afraid of not being listened to; they raise their voice and use directives or decrees. When they don’t want their authority questioned, they “pull rank.” Note that when Charismatics “decree and declare” they are actually commanding God, even if they don’t realize it.
  • Second, people command others when they have the authority to do so – lesser does not command greater.
  • Third, people command when the topic is crucial or critical. The command voice is one that implies the seriousness of what is being ordered.
  • Fourth, people command when they don’t want to convince or debate, but take the short cut of coercing others to do their will.

So, why did Paul command in these passages? I think he wanted Timothy to pay attention to his words, more so than usual, because, perhaps, he wasn’t sure he would live very long. His words remind me of last words people say to their family on their death-bed, his most important parting words. He tells Timothy to always to be ready to preach the gospel and patiently and carefully attend to the spiritual development of his congregations.

I intuit the reason Paul wanted Timothy to be ready when inconvenient is because the political situation was turning against Christians which meant that easy and free conversations with unbelievers in the past would be more difficult in the future. The governmental situation was turning against the church, so Timothy had to be reminded that he would be preaching at times that were neither safe or “convenient.”

This passage makes me wonder if I should take one of those “How to share the gospel” classes occasionally offered in churches in order to be more ready and articulate about the gospel. Christians used to carry small booklets that described how to become a Christian. A booklet functioned as a guide for the Christian-evangelist and a take-home reminder for the new or potential Christian. Generally, I wing it, letting the conversation guide the message more than the message channelling the conversation. This can’t be ideal. And it isn't well prepared.

I feel convicted.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2?

ANSWER: Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2 to defend his faith, against all error and false teaching, at all times. Whatever forces of evil were lined up against Paul, nothing could keep him from the heavenly kingdom. Paul ended this letter by comparing the sadness of his earthly circumstances with the glory of his heavenly but invisible circumstances. We, like Paul, show we are living the godly Christian life when we recognize that the Lord will in His time rescue us from all evil. This new life we live in the grace of God is shown by the fruits of righteous works. So then grace, God’s kindness and goodness toward us, motivates us to change and helps create the desire to receive the divine nature, the mind of God.

Why does he (Paul) have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient?

ANSWER: Paul have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient because: …

1. You are called to keep on doing the work of the kingdom, when it’s easy and when it’s hard,
  2. You are called to keep on doing the work of the kingdom, when you feel like it and when you don’t. 
  3. You are called to respond to the leading of the Spirit, when it’s convenient and when it is VERY inconvenient;
  4. You are called to keep pressing on in the Lord, when people are cheering you on and when people  are snickering at you. 
  5. You are called to hold fast to the Word of God when people accept the message and when the whole world rejects it.

People who are steadfast, immovable, faithful in season and out of season, are NOT people who just happen to have pretty smooth sailing, or who are blessed with stable emotions, and never feel the overwhelming urge to stay home, quit, or give up or withdraw. They have the same in season and out of season feelings and experiences as everyone else but they have chosen to NOT let the seasons of life determine their faithfulness to God and his call. In summary we must be prepared in season and out of season. Everyone in a leadership role in a congregation of the Lord Jesus must be ready to serve.  In a sense, it’s a reminder to be “on call” for the Lord.  It doesn’t mean church leaders don’t get a break from the congregation; it means we don’t get a break from Jesus!

What problem is Paul trying to overcome here?

ANSWER: The Apostle Paul is struggling with sin yet still under grace. Paul highlighted the human struggle we experience. He knew that even those with God’s Spirit still had human nature and have to resist the selfish pulls of the flesh while seeking to obey God’s law. Paul summed up this struggle when he wrote: “I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?” (see Romans 7:22-24, NLT)

How do these verses speak to you in particular?

ANSWER: The way these verses speck to me in particularly, as Paul states, In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin” and I will persist to struggle with temptation and sin throughout my physical lifetimes. Although God’s Holy Spirit helps me resist the pulls of my selfish-oriented nature, that nature will continue to trend toward sin. My relationship with Christ is not broken unless or until I deliberately and irrevocably sever it.

Nevertheless, I must always be vigilant and strive against the pull of my sinful, selfish desires. I am to be so rooted, grounded, and immersed in the Word of God, that no matter when or where I am challenged or questioned about my Christian beliefs, I am answer boldly and authoritatively. If my faith is firmly founded on the truth of God's inerrant Word, I will be thoroughly equipped to preach the Word in every circumstance of life and encourage, reprove, rebuke, and exhort my brothers and sisters in Christ, with great patience and instruction.

A3.

Paul had to encourage Timothy to be ever ready to preach the word boldly especially to the false teachers by rebuking and correcting them. But he was also to encourage them when and where necessary. This task did not have to be convenient or not to Timothy or anyone of us.

Q3. Paul is trying to encourage Timothy to forget about his own shortcomings and to preach God’s word. No matter what is going on around Timothy he must faithfully teach and preach the word. Even when people are not interested, he Timothy must be faithful and persist. Paul tells Timothy he must be prepared whether it is convenient or not. We must all have some words always at the ready to say to non believers. Even when it is not convenient we must obey God and share the gospel of Christ. There seems to be an urgency about Paul’s words, we know he is coming to the end of his life and I am sure he wants to be sure Timothy has overcome his timidness and understands the urgency and the need to faithfully teach God’s word to his congregation and to make sure those who are false teachers do not distort the gospel. His people need to know God’s word so they can discern if they are being taught wrongly. 
I sense the urgency in these verses to share the gospel before it is too late. We do not know from day to day what will happen either to ourselves or to someone we know and haven’t shared the gospel with them.

Paul resorted to the command in verse 1-2 to remind Timothy of the seriousness of his duty, encourage him to remain faithful to his calling, to prove himself to God and Jesus Christ, and make due return to God who made him and the Lord who redeemed him for at the judgement he must give an account to Jesus Christ of all the trust he put in him when he called him to ministry.

He talks about being ready when it is convenient and inconvenient because it may not always be a convenient time but Timothy must be ready to preach the Gospel at all times. He is to preach the pure word of God and not corrupt it as the false prophets were doing,  Even when men don't want to hear the truth he must speak the word with power charging sinner of the need to repent, believe, and live a holy life.

Paul was trying to overcome the problem of telling men what they want to hear rather than the truth as the false teachers were doing. Those God have entrusted with His Word are to correct, rebuke, and encourage even in a time when preaching against sin is considered to be judgmental, but we must declare the truth even in a world where men would rather believe a lie than hear the truth.

These verses reminds me that I need to speak the true word of God and not some watered down version that does nothing to encourage man that he need a Savior and that God sent His Son Jesus Christ into this world to be that Savior.  I need to continue to tell dying men and women that they wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life and that hell is real.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2)

Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2?

There were to many false preachers and teachers who spread false doctrine, that put people under that falsehood. 

So Paul has to straighten the wrong believes and used and give this words to sharpen and strengthen Timothy's faith.

Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient?

When someone confronts Timothy iro Scripture he has to back-up his answer with relevant Scripture for the WORD of GOD.

In short Timothy must be ready at all times.

What problem is Paul trying to overcome here?

To illuminate false doctrine, that why Paul says to Timothy to preach sound doctrine through correcting, rebuking and exhorting those under his preaching or teachings.  

How do these verses speak to you in particular?

That there is only one way of doing things and it is the right way, in this case to teach and preach GOD's BREATH. 

Timothy is being charged to preach and teach the scripture  so that man of God may be complete ,thoroughly equipped for every good work .

The Word of God should be proclaimed whenever  opportunity arises.

Paul is exhorting Timothy to preach fearlessly regardless whether the message may displease some,it’s  for the result of producing disciples worthy of the name of Jesus.

It’s not easy to tell the truth for truth hurts .But we are not men pleasers but Christ centred.

• 2 weeks later...

Apostle Paul knew that he didn't have much time to live, so he wanted to make this urgent commission to Timothy to take his charge very seriously. The success of the Ephesian church depended on a diligent and courageous pastor.    Paul knew how fragile things were; there was no time to beat around the bush.

Paul had to resort to the command in verses 1-2 because he wanted Timothy to know that he isn’t teaching the world view he is teaching about Jesus who will be judging the living and the dead. That put a great importance on what he is teaching. The Christians were being beat and killed for their religion so it wasn’t always convenient to teach all the time. So, he was telling Timothy that things were going to get rough.

Paul was quite urgent due to the fact that he knew his days on earth would be over.  On the basis of divine truths, Paul urgently places a divine charge upon Timothy: preach the Word without mixture; the Bible is the only Book that is the authentic revelation of God and His only begotten Son; it is truly a living Book.

The Ephesian church was surrounded by various mystery religions; it would a grave mistake if the Ephesians ended up backslidden!   To go back to the pagan religions was a constant danger. 

Timothy had the God appointed office to preach the unadulterated Word of God.   The new believers needed to be exhorted and taught further.

When it's inconvenient....yes!  That strikes home with me!   As an outdoor evangelistic preacher, the Gospel goes forth in the public square.   Gainsayers may not want to hear the Word of God: Paul admonishes Timothy to courageously preach the unadulterated Word of God in a city of idol worship.   A state of inertia, the Laocidean spirit will be detrimental to an evangelistic church or ministry.

Q3. (2 TIMOTHY 4:1-2) 
Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?
The whole world needs to hear Jesus Christ’s gospel invitation of salvation and their personal response in repentance and faith. For all have sinned (Rom 3:23); the wages of sin is death … the gift of God is eternal life (Rom 6:23); while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Rom 5:8). Amazing Words – God sent Jesus Christ to die for us, not because we were good enough, but just because of His grace and love for us. If these words are not preached how could unbelievers ever come to faith in Jesus? We should be sensitive to any opportunity our Lord may give us, irrespective of whether it is convenient or not. In other words, we should always be ready to serve God in any situation. I think Paul is trying to emphasize the urgency of the situation and overcome complacency. Time is running out and there are many who have not heard the good news and need to be saved. It was because of a good Christian team that came to our church one Sunday in 1982 that both my wife and I truly heard the gospel for the first time. We put our trust and faith in our Lord Jesus as our Saviour. I shudder to think if this had not happened, and we had both carried on in our ignorance. We will be ever grateful for them. Praise the Lord.