JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I think that to abide in Jesus is to talk about him and talk to him and be with him at all times. An example of what a Christian might be doing to “abide” in Jesus is to go on mission trips, teach the word of God, and to help the poor.

The symptoms in a Christian that is not “abiding” in Jesus is that they are going out to get drunk all the time, not helping those who need help and keeping his own interests in mind at all times.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4a)It means seeking to stay close to the Lord engaging with His word, allowing his words to lead us in our thoughts and actions,seeking to love others,lifting others in prayer,and resisting being pulled into worldy thoughts &actions.

b)abiding in Jesus could be putting aside our feelings even when hurt and showing acts of loving kindness, praying for a situation,or for someones healing.

c)We backslide if don’t pray,read bible or worship in church. Compromising their walk when not abiding, actions probably prideful,critical of Church&other christians,showing indifference,hardness,carelessness,rashness, instead of living honourably,with encouraging, loving actions to build up other christians&the wider church.We will know them by their fruit.

• 3 months later...

I believe that to abide/remain/continue in Jesus means to walk with him and try to become more like him in all you do.  If we are abiding in Jesus we will always put God first and love our neighbors as we love ourselves.  We will become a Matthew 25 Christian.  If one is not abiding in Jesus we have rejected the only one with whom we will have eternal life.  The me becomes much more important.  We live for ourselves in this type of Christian.  We abandon our early teachings of Jesus and think we can do it all ourselves.

• 2 years later...

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

For our part, it is important for us to be praying, confessing our sins, praising, thanking, asking, praying to be a light daily.   If Jesus sacrificed so much for us, and we are serious about living in thanksgiving for that, then we show it by thinking of Him and striving to live for him.

As sinful humans, it's easy to stray from that, to not pray, to not keep our mind focused on spiritual things, to let ourselves be engulfed in the world, to do what is comfortable and easy.  I think this allows us to slide into sinful patterns in our thoughts, speech and habits.

Thankfully there is forgiveness, new mercy and there are fresh starts.

• 9 months later...

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

To remain in Jesus, as I myself see it means to live, act, think, etc., as Jesus did. Walking in the light pretty much sums it up. I’m also aware of the fact that we also have a sinful nature to deal with, and that we must do. Jesus gave us a way out on that one and we need to go that route. Something to keep in mind is Matthew 10:22 …But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.

A perfect example would be spending your entire waking moments with Jesus. That means starting the day (not when you get to your church once or twice a week) but the minute your eyes open. Give Him thanks for waking you to a new day. Get up a little bit early and spend time with Him. Let the Holy Spirit talk to you before you being the events of the day. Pray about everything you do and for everyone you know, and don’t forget the country’s leaders. Don’t do things you shouldn’t do and do what you should, seek forgiveness when you goof up. He will put you back on your feet. Keep in mind what Jesus said and in Matthew 7:13: “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and Matthew 7:14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. These verses are so true but remember that Jesus has made a way for those who pursue life.

What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

In answering this question, I am going to draw on personal experiences. A person who follows the ways of the world shows these symptoms. Satan sits in ambush at every turn of the road holding out things like a “free” cigarette, beer, or joint, or maybe a good deal on something which maintained a total occupation of your mind at one time or other in your life. Music might be one of these things. Spending your every minute trying to figure out “the missing piece” to a solo which has never been written. Becoming so dedicated to work in general that not having any space for Jesus of God. Money, this is a big one for so many, I have a very good friend who, although a devout Christian at one time, actually got mad at God for not giving him the lottery numbers. Trusting money is a big problem today for so many. The word “but” comes up often when discussing where your trust should be. There are many more examples which could be used but I was wanting to remain brief.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) 

To abide in the Lord Jesus is to live in close fellowship with Him. It is to acknowledge Him in everything we do. This will result in us becoming closer and closer to the Lord – even to thinking His thoughts. We will get to know Him better as we persevere in our study and in the meditation of His Word. The more we get to know Him through His Word, the more we will understand His will. The result will be our prayers being answered. Our great safety is to stay close to the Word of God. We do this by testing everything and rejecting any teaching that does not agree with the Bible. If we stop obeying Jesus’ commands and do not display the fruit of the Spirit, we must be careful because this means that we are not abiding in Jesus. 

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28)

Q. What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

A. It means to continue to hold on to the truth that was taught in the beginning by true disciples/ apostles  of Jesus so as to remain faithful to the Lord Jesus

Q. Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.

A. He/ she will be reading/ meditating in the true word of God, obeying by doing what the scriptures say and having fellowship with other believers.

Q. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

A. He will be doing things contrary to the provisions of the Bible and walk in the dark by engaging in sinful acts.

• 3 years later...

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

Abiding in Jesus to me means being with Him every day of my life. It means to dwell in Jesus, having the Holy Spirit working in you at all times and keeping close, to the Lord, remaining in Him. Doing this will keep fuelling our engines to want to continue in abiding with Jesus, and a continued hunger to have more.

Christians abiding in Jesus show this by their actions, reading the Bible daily, praying daily, enjoying fellowship, using opportunity to talk about their faith, worshipping Jesus when they can, going to church.

Christians not abiding loose the intimacy they should have, and myself and many other Christians fall in to this at times when work and the world starts to take over. The above mentioned actions get less and we don not feel that closeness to Goad as we should. Like a family member not keeping up with visits and communications. The love is still there but the relationship is colder. It changes when you realise this and work at fixing this, by working at it daily, abiding in Him.

• 2 months later...

To remain is to keep returning to the core belief in Jesus as saviour. It's to hold steady in that belief, to not give into doubt. When wavering occurs, its to return and "re-remain" in the faith that God is who the Bible says, and that Jesus was human and divine, and that the Holy Spirit really does reside in my mind.

It's difficult to remain. It takes labour and effort and a constant re-turning back to first principles. For me, this means putting as much time as possible into study of the scriptures and prayer.  Those two things -- study and prayer -- enable, but don't assure, my remaining in Jesus.

Debilitating doubt. A sense that I'm failing as a Christian, both in belief and behaviour. A mind that wanders down avenues that shouldn't be trod. Tears and overwhelming sadness. Hopelessness ... yes, mostly hopelessness.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?     Abiding with Jesus means staying with the teachings (the truth) as written in the Bible.  Only God’s Word, recorded by the prophets and disciples, is the truth.  Any diversion from the true Bible is a path towards the Antichrist.

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.   On a daily basis, or as often as possible, they will read the bible, pray to the Lord, and continue to accept and believe that Jesus Christ is their savior.  The also tell others the good Word about Jesus as savior.

What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?    They are denying that Jesus Christ was born as a man, lived on earth, suffered and died for our sins, and rose from the dead after 3 days.  When they deny Jesus, they deny God, also, and so are lost to eternal life.