JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Life in the Son

What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in his Son"?

The Christian Church is made up of Christians, that is, a group of people who are followers of Jesus. The Bible clearly states that eternal life exists in the Son of God. It does not say that it exists with people.

What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion?

We should be preaching Jesus and the fact that eternal life exists in Him instead of pursuing personnel recruitment into organized religion.

What is the difference between "faith" and "faith in Jesus"?

You can have faith in anything but that faith will not get you what faith in Jesus will. Faith in the church itself will only lead to disappointment, much like Jesus described taking place when He separates the goats from the sheep, but, if we have faith in Jesus Christ, Son of God, we will not only find ourselves doing what He commands but also inheriting eternal life.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 5:11-12) 
What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in His Son"? 
What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion? 

Eternal life is only found in Jesus Christ personally and not in any church. Jesus not only gives us life, but He is also the Source and Creator of life, and because He lives, we live also. So, the saying “this life is in the Christian Church” - meaning eternal life, has no meaning. Without a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, all our religion, all the doctrines we learn, all the good deeds we do, count for nothing. We should be emphasising this point. Eternal life is not found in education or philosophy or science or good works or religion or the church. To have life, one must have the Son of God. It is all about “faith in Jesus”; having ‘faith’ in anything else is worthless.
As a note of interest: I recently read a book titled “100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart”, written by Robert J. Morgan, and in this book these two verses (5:11 and 5:12) are numbered as 19 and 20. He mentions that these are two of the best verses about assurance of salvation. It is the testimony; what God Himself has declared as truth; this is the record; these are the facts. 

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 5:11-12)

Q. What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in his Son"?

A. The relationship with Jesus Christ is personal and individualistic where each church member has to believe In Jesus Christ to have life eternal. The life eternal is found in the person of Jesus Christ not in a church.

Q. What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion?

A. We show really know the true word of god and teach it to the body of Christ.

A. Faith in any other person (or thing) than Jesus Christ wont lead to getting life eternal. Only faith in Jesus Christ leads to eternal life because He is the only Carrier of eternal life.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (1 John 5:11-12) What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in his Son"? What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion? What is the difference between "faith" and "faith in Jesus"?

The difference is who you have your relationship with. Do you follow the church and do what the others do and feel you are included as a Christian by pleasing them, and looking like you are the part , getting there approval now, and not assured of eternity? Or are you living your life in a true relationship with the Son of God, Jesus, and doing what pleases Him, and having fellowship with Him daily in prayer, reading, praising , and witnessing. Living with the blessing now and continue hereafter as the Bible says, to eternity. Having true assurance that you will get what you are promised if you have Him.

We need to know our Bibles and not be following a religious tradition because we were lead to it in some way. As the study indicates rightfully that the church points us to Jesus, we need to do our part in this relationship, like it is with family to grow this relationship and experience the blessings , rather than doing the same rituals every time we are in church or elsewhere , and have no fulfilment from these man made religious traditions. I see religion as going to work and do my job in a set way, opposed to a faithful relationship , is like going to family and friends, and having pleasure in sharing , communicating, enjoying one another's presence and do what is loving and pleasing for each other.

Faith can mean having faith in anything. I have faith that when I go to bed that the sun will be shining tomorrow morning. That is all fine, BUT it will not be my assurance of a blessed life with promise of eternal life and a relationship of peace, love and rest because of the forgiveness I find in Jesus , only by having the faith that He truly is the Son of God and He pain the ultimate price for me. Thank you Jesus.

• 2 months later...

This was one of the most fascinating posts you have written, Pastor Ralph. Deep and thought-provoking.  

You ask: What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in his Son"? The church is an abstraction: the combined people of faith. The life is in each of these Christian's heart, as put there by the Holy Spirit, His internal, subjective testimony. To say that life is in the Son is to refer to that relationship we have with Him. The life in the Son and the testimony of the HS within us are the same thing, I believe. To the degree that Christians with the HS in them are the church, then the life is also corporate or in the church.

I am not explaining this well at all!

What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion?

This is one of your themes that I appreciate since I'm sorta light on the relational side of faith. I do think that faith is relationship, but the nature of that relationship stumps me, at times. If I had a relationship with you, we would talk. Prayer is my speech, but not God's answer. God's speech is more subtle. Religion isn't faith, but the sociological aspects of faith

What is the difference between "faith" and "faith in Jesus"? Faith is generic. I can have faith in gravity that it will keep my feet on the earth. Faith is a synonym for trust. I trust certain laws of nature, for example. Faith in Jesus is specific to Him.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 5:11-12) What is the difference between saying "this life is in the Christian Church" and "this life is in his Son"? What should we be doing differently so that we teach a faith relationship rather than a religion? What is the difference between "faith" and "faith in Jesus"?

A person can go to church every Sunday, read, sing, pray and follow the content of the weekly celebration, and yet be no closer to salvation.  They go through the motions of the Christian church, repeating the creeds, and passages of a religion that occur on a regular weekly basis.  But unless the person takes the (key/ final/ faithful) step of accepting Christ as his savior, his life remains just a member of a church and not a member of Christ’s family.  His/her life is not “in His Son.” 

This is also the same with faith.  All churchgoers claim to have faith.  Most believe that they are following the right rules and doing the right things to get to heaven. They attend church faithfully, but they are not accepting the true faith, that of Jesus Christ as God’s son and our only way into eternal life.

To make it a faith relationship, the church must teach The Word, directly from the Bible.  It must stress the key points that John stresses so much in his epistles.  It must be spoken repeatedly so that those who are not yet ready can continue to hear and receive the word.  At the forefront should be John’s message, it all happens through the Son of God, and ONLY through Him.