JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Praying According to God's Will

What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22.) How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently? How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

The conditions are our obedience and praying according to His will as revealed in the Word.   We cannot tell the almighty God what to do with regard to the earthly things we pray about.  We always must pray respectfully for His will.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22.)

First we need to be at one with Jesus and our Father and then, we need to ask according to God’s will for us.

How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently?

God’s will is defined in His Word but there are also things going on around us that are not directly written in His Word, in which case we can ask anyway but the answer might not be what we wanted.

How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

Prayers to accomplish our will shall be answered all the time if they are in line with His will, but if our prayer is strictly out of personal gain only one should not expect to many answers.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (1 John 5:14-15) 
What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22.) 
How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently? 
How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

The two conditions to answered prayer are that we obey His commands and pray according to His will. Obeying God is never done under compulsion or for the purpose of receiving rewards. Our obedience is done with a cheerful heart that expresses gratitude. It is by studying and meditating on His Word that we can get to know God’s will. As we study we will be able to pray more intelligently and with greater confidence, and according to His will. We can never expect our prayers to be answered if they are done in a selfish way, only for personal gain.
Again as a note of interest, the book I mentioned previously: “100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart”, written by Robert J. Morgan, lists these two verses (5:14 and 5:15) among the 100 verses to memorize. I like the way he explains verse 5:14: “It’s easy to memorize when you notice how the verses unfold and expand. The meaning and marvel of prayer grows deeper and more practical as phrase builds upon phrase. 
Prayer is...
Coming before Him. 
Coming before Him with confidence. 
Coming before Him with confidence and asking. 
Coming before Him with confidence and asking according to His will. 
Coming before Him with confidence and asking according to His will, knowing that He hears us.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 John 5:14-15)

Q. What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22.)

A. Pray according His will and to obey Him.

Q. How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently?

A. Through the scriptures and also through praying and asking Him to confirm something we are looking for from Him.

Q. How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

A. Rarely.  

• 3 years later...

Q3. (1 John 5:14-15) What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22) How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently? How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

Faith and Gods will are the two main conditions to answered prayer. My immediate question is does the unbeliever suddenly seeking God in prayer in a moment of crisis qualify as such? I think he does. Although he may not have lived a life walking with God in faith , it may be Gods will to answer that prayer? As we previously discussed , if you have a disobedient child will you as a parent give when they request from you. Maybe not, I know I will be less likely to give, unless the request would be something that could be instrumental in changing their behaviour, and our relationship for the better.

We can pray according to His will by knowing the scriptures and leaving the worldly self glorifying requests out. This will be automatic if you know the Bible, you will be in line with His will. I have peace in knowing if I ask God to take care of an issue, be it choices, outcomes, relationships, etc, that it will turn out as it was meant to be if God was taking care of it.

Our prayers will be answered if our will lines up with Gods will, and he has that path planned for us. Sometimes it can take years to see how your path , and requests in prayer not coming your way , turns out for the better in the end. My question is , if you pray to God regarding a subject, do we keep repeating the request in prayer, does God need to be asked repeatedly or if I pray once to Him, is that request in prayer heard, I should think with an Almighty Father. I do not always understand why we have to keep repeating the same request like nagging children? Lets say I pray for rain tonight, I know God heard my prayer, do I need to repeat that every night until it rains?

• 2 months later...

I desperately need this lesson.

The two conditions to answered prayer are my obedience and His will.  

Okay, here's my problem. 

First, I'm never wholly obedient. I can always find a thought or idea or omission that was disobedient. Sin persists in me. Always. So I don't think I'll ever fulfill the first condition to answered prayer; my obedience.

Second, I'm not at all certain that I want His will. I want to want it, but do I really want it?  What if His will involved my torture and death? What if God said that the predicament I'm in now would never end, that there won't be a happy ending to my life?  What I'm questioning, at bottom, is God's goodness. If I really believed God's will was good, not for all human history, but for little me, then obeying and deferring to His will would be much easier than it is. But I doubt. I doubt He really has me in the cup of His hand. I doubt He cares. I don't doubt His power or sovereignty, but His will regarding individuals. It seems that the entire sweep of divine history is God's will, but individuals who were murdered or never knew anything other than captivity, or had painful, sad lives -- I just can't square this with a good God. It seems that God allows individuals to be pushed aside, often painfully, so that the river of his divine plan keeps flowing.

So, no, my prayers are not confident. They're pleading. Hopeful. Desperate, even. But am I confident I merit an answer?  No.  And am I confident that His answer will be good, gentle and kind?  No.

It's not that I want my will -- that I want His will to be good. I'd happily jettison my will, to the degree I am able, if I was confident His will was to my benefit.

I know this isn't the right answer, Pastor Ralph, but it is the truth. The truth has made me cry.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 5:14-15) What are the two conditions to answered prayer in 1 John? (See also 3:22.)

Our obedience (we live in the Word and we Keep the Commandments) and God’s will (He loves us unconditionally and wants to share His goodness with us.  We must pray and ask him directly for help.  If it is best for us to receive the help it will be given).

How do we determine God's will so that we can pray boldly, confidently? When we live in the Word, we come closer to God.  When our prayer request aligns with God’s will as outlined in scripture, we can be confident that He hears us.  He will provide an answer that best suits us.

How often will our prayers be answered when our main motive is to achieve our will?

Practically never.  However, if we remain bold in our request, and it aligns with God’s will, OUR will may be heard and possibly granted.  We must remain sincere in our request and not ask for things in a frivolous way.