New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Bum Deal At Christmas?by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
- Joseph was off work for weeks because the government made him travel to a distant town to fill out some stupid registration papers.
- You can bet the Nazareth biddies hounded Mary about her pregnancy. Have you ever been called "slut"?
- Can you imagine taking a four-day donkey ride to Bethlehem at full term? Of course, if Mary didn't want to ride, she could always walk ... or waddle.
- Think about a camping trip with winter winds whistling through your tent. Or do you have a tent?
- How about being in labor in a dirty cattle barn? One whiff was all Mary needed.
- And then, in the middle of the night after a grueling labor, there's a herdsman banging on the door
Life does have its downside, its reversals, its annoyances. And where is God when we despair? He was with Mary and Joseph every moment, working out His plan, just as He is with you and me right now.
I guess Christmas reminds us look to beyond our aggravations. God is doing something. You know, if we'll lift our eyes above Bethlehem's hovels for a moment, we might even catch a glimpse of the Christmas star.
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ