JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Lappers and Kneelers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I answer this question I checked some of the comments of different authors, like these ones:

a. Why did God use this way of testing the troops? Perhaps because those who would cup the water to their hands and bring it to their mouths would be better soldiers, because they could keep their eyes on their surroundings even when taking a drink
David Guzik Study Guide
When the wandering people in Asia, on a journey or in haste, come to water, they do not stoop down with deliberation on their knees, but only bend forward as much as is necessary to bring their hand in contact with the stream, and throw it up with rapidity, and at the same time such address, that they do not drop a particle. The Israelites, it seems, were acquainted with the practice; and those who adopted it on this occasion were selected as fit for a work that required expedition. The rest were dismissed according to the divine direction.
Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary
We must suppose they were all thirsty, and were inclined to drink; it is likely he told them they must prepare to enter upon action immediately, and therefore must refresh themselves accordingly, not expecting, after this, to drink any thing else but the blood of their enemies. Now some, and no doubt the most, would kneel down on their knees to drink, and put their mouths to the water as horses do, and so they might get their full draught. Others, it may be, would not make such a formal business of it, but as a dog laps with his tongue, a lap and away, so they would hastily take up a little water in their hands, and cool their mouths with that, and be gone.
Matthew Henry Commentary

Now it is hard to distinguis which was the real reason that God used to choose the 300 men, but seems like the ability of those who were choosed to stand quicker and be ready faster to attack the enemy, was the major reason for been choosed by God.

+ If God wanted us to understand the reason I believe the author, which may have been Samuel would have given us some indication. I have studied this before. I find no answer!

:huh: The only significance that I see was that this was God's way of selection and Gideon didn't question it. God would be recognized as the source of such a great victory and Gideon was obedient in choosing the members to participate in just the way the Lord told him to choose them.

Might this now just fit into one of those times when we have to remind ourselves that God's thoughts and ways are not our thoughts and ways. That his ways are higher than our ways, his thoughts higher than our thoughts and sometimes He has His reason(s) for what he does and expects of us that really isn't any of our business. He really doesn't have to explain and sometimes we probably don't need to understand. Just trust Him.

The significance between selecting lappers as opposed to Kneelers I feel is purely with regard to "Being prepared". I say this because the lappers were more likely to be aware of their surroundings while drinking and be able to see all that was going on around them, whereas the kneelers would not be fully aware of their surroundings. The difference between these two with regard to either being a member of an army is that the former would be more alert in their actions, whereas the latter due to their lack of alertness could put the rest of the army in danger.

Lappers----Aware of our surrondings. We are in a spiritual warfare. Even though we are about our daily duties, we should always stay spiritual focus. Satan is out to deceive and destroy. Let us stay alert.

Kneelers---God doesn't want us to be so busy with things of this world that we are not aware of our spiritual welfare. We are soliders on the battle field for the Lord.

blondesmiley.gifIf you picture the scene, perhaps there is an answer. Imagine 300 men kneeling, as if in prayer to our Lord. Now, imagine the other 9,700 (10,000 remained after the fearful were sent home) prostrating themselves on the ground bent over at the waist as the heathens do to worship their gods (ref. the Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.). And, just as there are only a handful of true Christians in the world compared with the heathen, there were just a handful of the "kneelers" left.

I don't know if this is correct, but the imagery struck me.

I agree with the majority that those who lapped were more ready for

whatever might happen while they were assuaging their thirst.

They would be able to see what was going on around them and thus not

be surprised by an enemy. Since most people would think this was a

break from the fighting, they would be more apt to take it easy, kneeling

down to drink by putting their face down to the water. That way, they could

not be as aware of who or what came near them. They would miss those

precious moments that could mean life or death to them. So, since God

wanted soldiers who would be "in uniform" all the time, and since, even

more importantly, He wanted the force to be so small that the people

would recognize that the conqueror was God Himself, He used this method

to separate the majority and send them home. When God is on our side--

or rather, when we are on His side--the number is immaterial!

I can only surmise that the lappers were those that would be more alert during a time that they might be vunerable to attack. Those that are trained in the martial arts would be more likely to be aware and on guard while drinking rather than put themselves into a kneeling position to drink where they could be easily overcome by an enemy. We will never know the real reason God chose this method of separating the men.

I do not know why God told Gideon to choose the lappers as opposed to the kneelers. I wondered which one I would be if I were there. I suppose I would be a lapper if I were not all that thirsty. However, I would kneel if extremely thirsty. This does not answer the question .. but is interesting.

Q5. What significance, if any, do you see in selecting the "lappers" from the "kneelers"? See Exposition and Footnote 11

With God wanting to reduce the army to a smaller size,God instructed Gideon on how the men were to be chosen.So Gideon took the men down to the water.The lappers were more alert and aware what was going on around them as they scooped or cuped the water in their hand.The ones kneeling and lapping like dogs did not pass the test.With your face down and lapping water there was a great chance you would be slain by the enemy,but that was really not Gods purpose,God new what He was doing.Now the Lord told Gideon with the 300 men that lapped water in there hands, I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands.To me God was fullfilling His promise to Gideon,and Gideon was obeying and trusting God.,

#5. Why lappers over kneelers? Lappers are more alert - they are aware of their surroundings and are always ready for battle. -- But then it could have been that God was just looking for the smallest number of men in a group.

God performed a miracle that day by letting 300 men (with torches and trumpets) defeat 135,000 men or more.

God found that Gideon trusted Him enough to obey Him even when things don't seem to make sense. That is some very powerful faith. That kind of faith is priceless.

The kneelers were the ones who knelt down and put their faces in the water to drink. They were in a vulnerable position because they could be easily taken by surprise while they were drinking. It would have been easy for the enemy to sneak up upon them and attack them.

The lappers were the ones who cupped they hands together and brought the water up to their mouths,lapping it with their tongues. They were in a position were they were able to be alert to their surroundings. They could easily see what was going on around. It would be difficult for the enemy to sneak up upon them or take them by surprise.

The lappers, who totalled 300 men, would be the men Gideon would lead into battle. With a small band of men defeating the midianite army,the people would have no choice but to give God the glory. Only by His miraculous intervention could so many defeat so few.

#3 Q5. What significance, if any, do you see in selecting the "lappers" from the "kneelers"?

Well now, this one had me puzzled and to be honest, for the first time in this study, I looked at Pastor Ralph