JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

(John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer. 

To pray in Jesus' name is to pray in accordance with His will and character. Prayer is not about arm twisting God to give us our hearts' desires. Instead, prayer is about seeking Him and His will with the intent of seeing His will come to pass in our lives. In effect, there are no practical limits to the promise of answered prayer. The promise in open-ended. The only criteria are

(i) praying in Jesus' name i.e. believing and having faith in Jesus and

(ii) so that God can be glorified.

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”?

To pray in Jesus' Name means that I have been given permission to pray in His authority and power and all that He stands for and desires to be done through my prayer. It's as of we were given His signet ring to "sign" for Him as though He were writing the letter.

What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes?

I used to worry about this until I saw the truth of Romans 8:26,27. "The Holy Spirit comes and bears us up in our weakness for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit goes to meet our supplications and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearning's and groaning's too deep for utterance. And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the Holy Spirit (what His intent is) pleads before God in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will."  In other words, The Holy Spirit will take our imperfect prayers and deliver them to the throne perfected according to His will.

Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

I don't believe there are....if prayed in faith believing we have the Father's will.

I have never been very sure about what it means to pray ‘in Jesus’s name’ but I hadn’t realised that it was a cultural aspect in the time of the early church.  That makes more sense.  I tend to pray direct to Jesus or God (the Father).  To me, the two are so interwoven that it makes no difference to my prayer.  If a prayer is out of God’s will he will not fulfil it, or may find another way to help, which you have not considered.  My own experience is an example.  I prayed desperately for my children to come back to me when they rejected me, but God had decided otherwise.  Instead he sent me to work in an orphanage in South Sudan where I now have around 50 wonderful children.  That was God’s will and I consider it an answer to my prayer.  If somebody had asked me a few years ago if I planned to go to work in an orphanage in South Sudan, I would have thought they were mad.  So, no, I don’t think practicalities are a barrier to God.

Q6. (John 14:13-14) 

What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"? 

What happens to prayers that are out of His will and purposes? 

Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

To ask in Jesus’ name is to ask in accordance with His mind and will. Sometimes there is a misunderstanding of what Jesus is saying in these verses. He is definitely not saying that prayer is a magic formula to grant a person’s every desire. Jesus means, asking for the things that are in His will and will bring glory to God. It does not mean to simply to insert His Name at the end of the prayer. It is when we pray in the Spirit, in line with, “Your kingdom come. Your will be done”, that we seek the will of God in all our prayers. Some might feel that this will result in fewer blessings for us, but this will result in more blessings, as our desires will be the same as His. When we live in close fellowship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, our prayers will be answered. When we pray in the will of God with clean hearts we have every right to expect God to answer us. However, prayers that are out of His will and purposes are not likely to be answered in the way we prayed for. If it is in His will, I don’t think there are any limits – with Him all things are possible. 

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

"13  And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (14:13-14)

The phrase “in my name” according to the notes, occurs seven times in John. In the ancient world a person's name stood for one's whole personality and expressed the whole person. To pray in the name of Jesus is therefore to pray in accordance with his will and character. So anything that is asked, that will bring glory to the father, will be answered, according to the promise. In addition, there are no limits to prayer.

(John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.        

• To pray in Jesus' name is to pray in accordance with his will and character.  Prayers that are out of his will and purpose are selfish prayers and will go no where.  There are no limits to his promise of answered prayers.

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

We have no merits to stand before God except in the name of Jesus.  So this is for believers only, those who are in Christ and He in us through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Those who love Him want to see God glorified through His Son and their prayers should reflect that.  When we go to God in prayer in the name of Jesus we go in who He is, His will and His character.  It is good to know His will and His character so it is rather important to read His Word.  What an awesome privilege He has given us, to pray in His Name.  How little do I understand this awesome God that loves me and desires to answer my prayers in a way that will bring glory to His Name.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Lesson 24 Question 6

To pray a prayer in Jesus name is to pray to God - approaching God being assured that one can expect a positive reception knowing that we are now sons and daughters of God and are therefore loved and received. It is not in our name that we pray but in the name of our faithful Savior Jesus. His name stands for all that He is about and is.

Prayers that are out of his will and purposes are not for His glory and will not be heard. We, hopefully, will sense this through the urging of the Holy Spirit. We then can approach the heavenly throne humbly and repentant. This prayer we are assured will be heard - 1John 1: 9.

The limits of the anything we can pray for are that the prayer is for God's glory and not for our own glory - the Holy Spirit helping us.

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

When we pray in Jesus name we are praying it is Gods will for our prayer request and that the prayer will glorify God. Jesus said what ever we ask in his name, he will do, provided it brings glory to the Father.

Prayers that are out of God's will  and purpose will never be answered. Thus we should be sure our prayers are sincere and glorify Jesus name and God's will.

The limits to our prayers are that we ask not in greed or self benefit. This brings nothing in glory to God's purpose for all believers and unbelievers. If we ask amiss non believers will shun us and may consider God our Creator to be non existent or we are not true believers. This surly hurts our witnessing among unbelievers, who may believe in God if we believe our prayers will be answered. There are times when our prayers may take days or years to be answered, this dependent on our faith and belief in the prayers we pray.     

• 3 weeks later...

When we truly pray in Jesus’ name, we’re praying according to how Jesus Himself would pray and ask.  We’re identifying with His character and heart, His power and authority.  We’re praying with the same focused desire and intent He has to bring glory to the Father in all things.  We’re seeking what the Father wills and determines is right.  We’re asking that the Father’s purposes and will be manifested in and through our lives. 

When we miss that mark and pray out of His will and purposes, our prayers cannot be answered with a “yes”.  But when we rightly pray to the Father in Jesus’ name with unwavering faith (James 1:6-7), Jesus Himself promised there are no practical limits to this promise of answered prayer!  With every opportunity to do what we have asked, John 14:13 indicates that it’s His delight to personally glorify His Father.

• 2 weeks later...

Q. What does it mean to pray “in Jesus’ name”?

A. Meaning have faith, have confidence that Jesus is a God Provider.

Q. What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes?

A. The will and purpose of God is for us to glorify him. If the prayer is out of his will and purpose then, He will not grant it because it will not benefit us.

Q. Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

A. There are no pratical limits, pray as long as you love him and truly believed in him. (14:14, 15:7)

• 2 weeks later...

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer.

Jesus is not saying that his disciples would do greater works—after all, raising the dead is about as amazing as you can get. Rather, the disciples, working in the power of the Holy Spirit, would carry the Good News of God’s Kingdom out of Palestine and into the whole world.

When Jesus says we can ask for anything, we must remember that our asking must be in his name—that is, according to God’s character and will. God will not grant requests contrary to his nature or his will, and we cannot use his name as a magic formula to fulfill our selfish desires. If we are sincerely following God and seeking to do his will, then our requests will be in line with what he wants, and he will grant them.

The name of Jesus represents His character. It is another way of referring to the mind and heart of Jesus. This phrase appears often in John (cf. 14:13-14,26; 15:16; 16:23-26). The more like Christ one is, the more likely the prayers are to be answered in the affirmative. The worst thing God could do spiritually to most believers is answer their selfish, materialistic prayers

• 1 month later...

Q6. (John 14:13-14) What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"? What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes? Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer

He said that anything in His name is possible, but "I can do all things through Christ..." this means I have to be in His will, otherwise I an not remaining in Him. and if I am "in Him" I will only pray that it be done according to His will. One can not put the cart before the horse, on can't be changing the will of God. if we are lucky enough to know His will of the moment, we are truly blessed.

Oh Lord help me to find thy will and obey you all the time, in Jesus name amen

• 3 months later...

What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"?  In 1 John 5:14, the apostle writes: “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”  Prayers offered in Jesus’ name should always be prayers that honor and glorify Him.  The words that we choose aren’t terribly important, what really matters is the intent and purpose behind the prayer.  When we come to Him humbly and earnestly in the name of Christ Jesus we are praying with His authority and according to His will.  Simply saying the words “in Jesus’ name” isn’t just some inconsequential proclamation that we feel compelled to add to the end of our prayers.  When we pray “in Jesus’ name”, we are proclaiming to the Living God that the prayers that we offer are not in accordance with our will or for our own glory.  When we pray in Jesus’ name, we are praying for His glory and according to His will.  If not, we’re praying insincerely so simply saying the words “in Jesus’ name” is pointless.

What happens to prayers that are out of his will and purposes?  Simply put, insincere prayers are not answered.  God knows our hearts before we open our mouths and when our prayers are filled with false humility and/or insincerity, He knows and will not hear them.  Our prayers should always be filled with praise, honor and thanksgiving to the Father and should be offered with reverence and humility in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer?  Of course there are, if we pray insincerely and not in accordance with His will he will not answer but... that's a self-inflicted limitation.  God's power is infinite and any restrictions or limitations that might be placed on our prayers are not put there by God, they are determined solely by our faith.  “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:14)

• 3 years later...

To pray “in Jesus’ name” means that we can ask anything of the father that is in his will and Jesus will back us up. Prayers that are out of his will and purpose will get answered but it will be a no. The practical limits to this promise of answered prayer is that it has to be in the will of Jesus.

• 7 months later...

To  pray " in Jesus name " means to be praying in His will and also we can ask anything of the Father and Jesus will give it to us as long as it is in His will. When they are not in His will and purposes; we will not glorify Him and we will get a no from Him. Yes, the prayers have to be in His will and purposes.

• 2 years later...

Christ is occupying the mediatorial throne (Psalm 110; Psalm 72). Christ shares in the dominion; Christ has ascended to the right hand of the Father.  Praying in the name of Jesus Christ underscores his oneness with the Father (Acts 2:33-36).

The Holy Spirit purifies our petitions; we pray with unuttterable groanings (Roman's 8:26).   We see through a glass darkly; there are issues that we cannot comprehend on this side of the veil.

This promise of Christ implies his essential omniscience and omnipotence--Christ's personal Godhead is spelt here.  What is so important is that the Father be glorified by the Son's omnipotent work.  The Gospel plan encourages our prayers.  Christ is able to answer prayer by his own Almighty power so that His kingdom on earth be completed.

This doesn't mean that God is akin to a vending machine.  God's ways and thoughts are high above our own.  Prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel, including Ezra and Zerrubbel and Joshua the high priest--all knew about suffering and hardship.   Yet they had faith in God during their darkest moments.   It is time to rediscover the power of prayer in Jesus' name !

• 9 months later...

What does it mean to pray "in Jesus' name"?

What happens to prayers that are out of His will and purposes?

Are there any practical limits to this promise of answered prayer?

Thus, to pray in Jesus' name is to pray in accordance with His will and character.  (Taken directly from the notes) 

To ask in His Name,  in the Amplified puts it "to ask as His representatives".

Just prior to Jesus having made that statement, He had said that greater things would be done by those who believed in Him as Saviour.  So it could be deduced that it would be where Father is glorified.

The promise He had made do not apply to those prayers which are out of His will and purposes.  

"If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you." (15:7)

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us -- whatever we ask -- we know that we have what we asked of Him." (1 John 5:14-15)

From those verses the limits are that the requests are according to His will.