JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Obadiah is a good person in a wrong place. And he has to contend with the dangers of being Yahweh's worshipper with Ahab and Jezebel around. Nevertheless, Obadiah did what he thought was the right thing to do. He gave protection to other Yahweh's prophets in Israel. And he supplied them with a place and food to eat. 

I wish i will have the Obadiah's courage when the time comes. You'll never know as we can be over- confident and say i will lay my life for the Lord but when the time comes will I really do it? Or when the anti-christ appears will i be able to say NO to his offers of pleasures, freedom and wealth and succumbed to his lies and lifestyle? Basically, will I be able to put my neck on the line when the time comes to do what is right for the Lord and His Church just like Obadiah? I hope i'll have that same courage or at least some of it to be faithful to the God of Jesus even during crisis time.

These passages speak to my heart. The long wait ... God's silence for several years ... provision without contentment ... and then, finally, it ends. May it be so, Lord.

Obadiah is a complex man, seemingly brave and faithful but still distrusting and fearful. Perhaps he's like all of us. I admire his behind-the-scenes undermining of Jezebel's desire to supplant Yahweh with Baal. Hiding 100 "enemies of the state" required ingenuity and conniving. And risk. He would have died if his plot was discovered. 

Among other things, I think this pericope teaches us to foster good even when the government is evil, and part of this fostering may mean actively undermining powerful leaders and their policies.

I pray to do this. Soon. May I be brave, Lord.

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'

Q5. (1 Kings 18:3-16)

What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage?

What do we know of his faith?

Of his courage? Of his fears?

If you were in Obadiah's situation, how much courage would you have shown?

Obadiah was governor of Ahab's 'house'.  He must have been well trusted to be in such a position.  We also find that he feared the Lord greatly.  He was not a 'fence-sitter'.  When Jezebel was on her prophet killing-spree, he took a hundred of them and hid them in caves and then fed them. (Quite an undertaking).  He must have had organizing skills.  From the passage we find the feeding was with bread and water.  Water, at this time was scarce, yet he found enough to supply 100 people at a time  with it.  He would have had to trust the Lord with this kind of undertaking. This took great courage, for if he was found out, it would have been sure execution.  

When Elijah appeared to him, I can only guess at his mixture of joy, fear and excitement. His biggest fear was that Elijah would again vanish , as he had done before and that he, Obadiah, would be seen to be playing the fool with the king.

It is easy to think oneself into a situation, but reality and imagination are not always one and the same.  I just pray for grace that my faith will not falter and that come what may, I will always remain standing and loyal to my God and Saviour.

What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage? Obadiah was a devout believer in the Lord and was the Administrator in Ahab's palace. He was a courageous man amidst the danger around him when he hides to preserve the lives of one hundred prophets of God.

What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears? He is a firm believer in God. He is courageous despite holding fear of the consequences of his discovery. His fears are that he would be killed like the many prophets of God before him once discovered.

If you were in Obadiah’s situation, how much courage would you have shown? It is an exceedingly difficult thing to remain courageous in the face of danger but most importantly when the assurance is coming from the living God Yahweh, I would show some resolve to do that which is right but remain calm under the circumstances.

QWhat do we learn about Obadiah from this passage

We learn that he was a true devout  believer in God , we see that when he hid 100 prophets fom Jezebel who was killing the prophets. In so doing that he also feared for his life for he didn't  know what Ahab will do to Him if he found out

5.1 What do we know of his faith ?

That he is firm believer from his youth , he also knew Elijah as prophet of God and referred  Him

5.2.Of his courage 

Him hiding 100 prophet as they were killed by Jezebel and providing fir them in the caves , knowing the consequences  of his doing should it be found  out

5.3 Of hus fears

He feared for his life against king Ahab if he could found out  what  he  did 

5.4If you were in Obadiah situation , how much courage would you have shown? Not sure what I would have done , but it takes a true believer , who puts all his trust in God to do what Obafiah did

Obadiah was like a Joseph or a Daniel.   Obadiah was a God fearing man in the pagan beauracracy.  Despite all odds, he quietly served the Lord.   Indeed he had to walk on egg shells during this tumultuous period.   Obadiah protected the men of God from certain death.  Reminds me of a God fearing German-Mr Schlinder-who went to great lengths to protect many Jewish people working at his factory. 

Obadiah's courage was noteworthy.  To maintain his faith and not get involved in Baal or Arstate worship, were remarkable feats.  To hide the Prophets of God was an undertaking that spoke of his deep love of God.  He knew that the Prophey Elijah could be suddenly be spiritually transported.  Obadiah knew he had to give strict account with King Ahab;  this was a time when Obadiah had to have the chutzpah of Joshua  or a Phineas.   

Yes, his fears were note worthy.  He was concerned that Prophet Elijah would be transported suddenly by the hand of God.  It would be quite embarrassing for him when he would confront King Ahab.

Yes, I have been there.  When I started my career with a major telecommunications firm in NYC, I commenced street preaching in front of a nearby church.  I and other brethern had street meetings on our lunch breaks and prayed together.  We were Obadiahs!   I was in FULL GOSPEL BUSINESSMEN FELLOWSHIP for years.   Men that are working in the everyday world yet witnessing the Gospel of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

On 9/14/2022 at 6:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (1 Kings 18:3-16) What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage? What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears? If you were in Obadiah’s situation, how much courage would you have shown?

Obadiah was very brave in all that he did at the court.  He would have seen things and heard things that confirmed the power, reach and destructive ability that the king had.  In spite of all this, he took the chance to hide the prophets.  It appears that he also knew the extent to which the King sent people to find Elijah (..."there is no nation or kingdom, whither my lord hath not sent to seek thee" - 1 Kings 18:10).  He further indicates that they took an oath, confirming that they did not find him. For Obadiah to come back and tell the King that he found Elijah, he seems to indicate that this was a death sentence.  Nonetheless, based on Elijah's promise that he would meet the King that day, he did as he was asked.  He could have been killed outright by the King who could have met Elijah later that same day.  I sense that Obadiah was a good man and a good friend.  

Q5. (1 Kings 18:3-16) 
What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage? What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears? If you were in Obadiah's situation, how much courage would you have shown? 
Obadiah is employed by king Ahab as a kind of overseer of the king’s household, and is a devout believer in the Lord (18:3). He must have feared the Lord. This is shown by his hiding 100 prophets of the Lord from Jezebel and by providing for them (18:4). But I feel that he feared man more than the Lord. Some might look upon him as a rather timid person in that he did not stand up for the Lord by refusing to help Elijah. Also, how could a true believer of God be so closely associated with such wicked people like Ahab and Jezebel. I don’t think we should judge Obadiah too harshly, what about the 100 prophets of the Lord - they also did not reveal themselves. I think it took a great deal of courage to look after all these prophets while in the employ of Ahab. Remembering that Jezebel was on a mission to kill all the Lord’s prophets. He was exposing himself to great danger and putting his own life on the line, for if found out to be a true believer would have meant his death. I feel we cannot all be like Elijah. I realise that Obadiah must have represented the believing remnant in Israel, and him coming into the open might have sparked this remnant into service for the Lord. And that his secret discipleship was of no immediate benefit to the struggle. Personally, I would hate to ever land up in Obadiah’s situation. It is easy for me to criticise and say I will stand up for Jesus, but if my life depends on it, I pray that my Heavenly Father will give me the courage to stand up for Him, and that I will not let Him down. 

Q5. Obadiah is in charge of Ahab’s palace and his household. We are told that Obadiah is a devout believer in Yahweh. His very name means worshipper of God. Although he is living in Ahab’s household with all its worship of false gods, he has kept himself pure and he is devoted to the one true, God. He had such great faith in God that he risked his own life by hiding a hundred prophets in caves when Jezebel was trying to destroy Yahweh’s prophets. He provided sustenance for them while they were hiding. The fact that Obadiah was able to feed so many prophets shows us that he must have been both wealthy and also his importance. His courage and trust in God is an example to us all. Although he knew he was in danger and was afraid he did not allow it to stop him. Obadiah has probably seen Ahab angry and seen the punishment he has metered out to innocent people and knows that if Elijah is not there when Ahab comes, Obadiah will bear the brunt of his wrath. I don’t think I would have been as  brave as Obadiah when a hundred prophets needed help. I would maybe have tried to help one or two but not a hundred.

Q6.The danger of syncretism is not following God fully because you are not fully committed to God and can easily be swayed by worldly distractions. I do try to prioritise church, personal prayer, and study. I go through periods of being too busy but am aware of it and make efforts to cut back. My husband is not a believer so I have to balance my church life and my commitment to him. Thirty years ago when I became a believer it was difficult but Praise God my husband has mellowed and now accepts the things I do. As long as we are in this world there will be competition as Satan tries desperately to distract us to take us away from following Our Lord and Saviour. I am not limping between two opinions, I know exactly who I am following and where I am going. Thanks be to Jesus. 

I have learned from the passages of 1Kings 18: 1-18 that Obadiah was a servant of the Lord from youth. Being a servant of the ruthless King Ahab of Israel, Obadiah secretly hidden prophets of the Lord, knowing that if he is found out he will be put to death. If I were in Obadiah's place I would most likely not have the courage that he has displayed in serving the Lord. 

On 9/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (1 Kings 18:3-16) What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage? What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears? If you were in Obadiah’s situation, how much courage would you have shown?

I learned that Obadiah was truly a man of God, and had worshipped from his boyhood.  He was a man of great faith and trustworthy.  From the position he held in the palace, I believe he worked directly with King Ahab and his wife Jezebel but his faith was strong whereas he did not lose sight of who he was and to whom he belong.  I can imagine the numerous conversations he overheard about the king overwhelming desire to seek Elijah since it was he that caused the drought and how Jezebel probably boast of killing God's prophets.  The Bible does not indicate whether Obadiah worked along as he cared for the 100 prophets he hid in the caves.  But, I can see him working alone.  He never had to fear about his secret being revealed.   He provided the food and water for the hidden prophets from his own resources so that none of the king's provision would be missed.  Obadiah reminds me of Jesus when He was being questioned by Pilate. how he answered him nothing.  Jesus stood his ground.  Obadiah stood his ground. 

Obadiah had great faith because he recognized Elijah.  Spirit recognized spirit.  During his time, there were no pictures of the "most wanted."  So, he did not exactly know what  Elijah looked like.  But what he did know for sure was that in order for Elijah to  could cause it not to rain for years, then, he had to chosen by Yahweh and  had to have a strong personal relationship with Him.  Obadiah knew how intense Ahab had searched for Elijah and the only way Elijah was able to evade being caught was by Ahab for years was through Yahew's grace.   Therefore, when he saw Elijah, he knew he was in the presence of greatness and he bowed. 

Obadiah had little to no fear.  But he was a cautious man.  He seen first hand what the king was capable of doing and he knew how bad the king wanted Elijah.  

I would like to think that I would mirror what and how Obadiah did in this situation.  But, I'm not sure.  I have not mastered the art of "standing still." However, I have gotten better.  I'm sure Obadiah had his days when he felt that his action came close to being exposed.  Obadiah, I feel, trusted no one and he being a  long time follwer of Yahweh, he probably prayed often.  I pray often as well but its not always my first reaction.

What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage?

Obadiah was the official in charge to Ahab's palace and a devout believer in the Lord. 

What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears?

Obadiah was strong in his faith to the point where he risked his life to save the lives of 100 prophets. He was courageous in what he did, however he was fearful of his life if it was found out.

If you were in Obadiah’s situation, how much courage would you have shown?

I believe in helping people in trouble.  Sometimes I respond without thinking thru the danger.  However, I do not think I would have been an courageous as Obadiah if I thought about it.

We learned that Obadiah believes and fears God and is very worried with the presence of Elijah’s who is being badly sought by King Ahab and more worrisomely by Jezebel, the Kings wife who wants to avenge the killing of the prophets of Baal. Obadiah’s fear and reverence of God is shown by the risk taken by him in hiding Gods prophets in two caves from Jezebel persecution and he fears for the life of Elijah as well. Obadiah’s faith and courage in God are very strong. Am greatly motivated by Obadiah’s faith and courage and would do the same if in a similar situation with the help of God's spirit.

Q5. (1 Kings 18:3-16) What do we learn about Obadiah from this passage? What do we know of his faith? Of his courage? Of his fears? If you were in Obadiah's situation, how much courage would you have shown?

Obadiah served and worshiped the Lord God, Yahweh. He was very courageous as evidenced in preserving the lives of 100 prophets from Jezebel/Ahab death penalty; and being brave enough to go and tell Ahab that he had seen prophet Elijah. 

I probably would not have been as courageous as Obadiah

• 5 months later...

We find out that Obadiah is a man that fears God and that he is a wealthy man being able to support 100 prophets. We have learned that he believes in God and he has been doing what needed to be done to save some of the prophets. But he does fear the king and his wife. I’m glad that I am not in Obadiah’s shoes because I don’t know how much courage I would have against such odds.