JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hidden Treasure, Costly Pearl

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common the men who purchased the land and the pearl did it to obtain something of value.  The point of the parable is we should try very hard to make the Kingdom of Heaven ours along with Jesus.  Nothing is as important as obtaining eternal life with the Father.  Our lives should reflect as if we were a God coin.  Created by God to serve God 24/7. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great value (costliness) of the kingdom (treasure and pearl).

The value of the kingdom was far greater than all that they could accumulate for the purchase.

Not only was the kingdom of great value, but they (man and merchant) knew their value.

The value of each was so great that the man and the merchant had to be willing to sell all they had in order to make the purchase.

In both, they sold all they had for the purchase.

Of the both, the treasure was hidden and the pearl had to be looked for.

Lastly, their joy at the finding the treasure and pearl was such that "no price was too great to pay."

The over whelming common factor of the treasure and the pearl (kingdom) is their great value, and that the both (man and merchant) were willing to sell all they had for their purchase.

How should this affect my values?  I should take another look at what value I have placed on things: eternal things and temporal things.

In short, what not am I willing to turn loose for the kingdom?  The answer to my own question has to be "nothing."  If I am unwilling to turn loose of "all" for the kingdom, I'm still short in my purchase price.

In short, what is my real treasure, and where is it?

Mt. 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

• 1 year later...

Both parables implies how one should give up everything they have to obtain something of priceless and/or precious value.  Jesus's gift of salvation to each Christians is worth giving up all of our inner substance (mind and heart) because its value is so priceless.  Changing our mindset in a manner that we serve and worship Him in spirit and truth.  What a marvelous gift to have and receive.  God is good and worthy of our total commitment of worship and servanthood. 

Edited by Happy and in Love
After reading my response, I wanted to express myself clearer.

• 3 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? What is the main point of these parables? The point is for us to understand that when we come upon a treasure of extraordinary value, we need to be able to do whatever it takes to keep it. Both the pearl and treasure represent the Kingdom and Jesus is telling us that we need to be able to sell what we have in our possession, to maintain ownership of the pearl and treasure, which is of course is greater in value for what it represents.

How should it affect our values? Our lives? This is telling us that we need to live for the Kingdom of Heaven and that we should be able to part with everything in our lives, in order to gain entry to the Kingdom.