JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hidden Treasure, Costly Pearl

Both of the parables deal with something very valuable being purchased.

The main point is that if you find something of value, give your all for it.

It should establish our priorites and to aim high.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? What is the main point of these parables? How should it affect our values? Our lives?

They both compare the Kingdom of Heaven to items of huge value, that a person would give up anything to possess. It should effect us and our values the way Paul expresses it in Philippians 3:7,8.

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46)

What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common?

What is the main point of these parables?

How should it affect our values?

Our lives?

In both parables we notice that if we find something of inestimable value we will, or should, part with everything to obtain it. We will experience that same joy when we discover the Kingdom of God and its meaning for eternal life. Our joy will be so great, that we then, cannot do other than give up all else for the Kingdom. This is a full dedication to Christ and a joyous relationship with our Redeemer.

Both relate to the finding of a great treasure related to the discovery of the Gospel. ' The Word is a lamp unto thy feet ' the scripture says. The point is that we should give up our possessions that were previously the focus of our attention and be sure that we get the treasure which is the Gospel and make it ours.

Our values would be affected as we would then have a change of direction in our lives. Our emphasis would then be on living righteous lives and renouncing materialism and possessions, and living according to God's Word.

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? What is the main point of these parables?

Both are treasures that are found, but worth more than what is first revealed. Both parables refer to finding something of value that is a once in a life time find and giving all that one has to purchase it and both are of an incomparable worth. We may stumble upon His truth or we might search for it and find it. Either way, it can be found and held on to. How ever salvation is acquired, the point is that it can be and that it can only be through Jesus Christ, the story teller, the One who paved the way.

How should it affect our values? If we rightly estimate the value of our soul, we will make salvation our highest treasure and do every thing we can to give up what ever is in our way that might prevent us from obtaining it.

Our lives? I dont know how it should affect my life, I only know how it does affect my life. This is the greatest gift possible and my life is securely in His hands. Jesus views earth from the vantage point of heaven and interprets the present by projecting Himself into the future and then looking back, as He shares these parables. We might do the same as we walk through this life. Keep looking upward and moving forward advancing towards the Kingdom of God. Once in awhile, look around at all that He has blessed us with (material things) and realize that one day it will all be gone as if it never even existed. Because one day, it will not exist. But we know that His love and His word, endures forever.

Philippians 1:21 ¶ For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Only one life twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last.

¶ It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. Proverbs 25:2

When we find a Pearl or something of value, we strive to own it. You can be rich by what you have but still be poor in spirit. If you are poor in spirit you have nothing...Jesus is our PEARL and we should strive to live our lives for Him. With Him we have everything... Without Him we have nothing....This I believe is the main point of thses parables. By striving for Jesus we are living God's Word. When we put money above salvation we are a fallen nation. That is what has happened here in the United States. We have put Jesus at the back of our country and we are falling further and further behind. Once we start to put Jesus first we will turn our nation back to the stong hold it once was...You notice I said Jesus, not God. 85% of Americans believe in God, But only a hand full of those believe in Jesus....Think about that and reply if you would. I would like to hear what others say about this...

I cannot distinguish God form Jesus because to me they are one in the same!!! Notice I said to me.I truly don't know statistically speaking, how many people in the United States believe in God as opposed to how many believe in Christ, or how many believe in both. But it is an interesting statement and for curiosities sake, I will research it a bit later. However each being the same, it doesn't really matter. Even if one does not know it, if they are putting their TRUST in God, they are also putting their trust in Christ. They are Not however receiving REDEMPTION, because redemption can only be received by Christ and Christ alone. And only if one comes to Christ and ask him into ones life. And that is a good point you are making about our country. Our country needs to Put God and JESUS back into the forefront of everything we do. It is so true that our country has slipped far from the values our our forefathers. We have removed prayer from school, which I believe, certainly among other factors,of course, has played a major part in the downward fall of our society. We have separated Church and state, we have in a sense denied our God. And the consequences of doing that is being felt not only here in the U.S. but throughout the world. I can only pray that as a society we can become a more God, Christ, oriented society again and get back to the values of our forefathers. As a Nation, bring more people to Christ, move more,and more people toward redemption, so we as a nation can be redeemed! WE must each do our part to achieve this by serving God and seeking to bring more and more of us into his Glory. We must believe through GOD all things are possible, EVEN the redemption of the U.S.!

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? What is the main point of these parables? How should it affect our values? Our lives?

There are a few things that these parables have in common. The obvious is the value of the kingdom the overlooked is the cost. In each case the buyer gave up all he had to enter the kingdom of God. The old life done away with the new begins... Gone is the sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. And a new life begins filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (List from Galatians 5 NIV)

The next passage, Matt. 13:47, should also be considered. 47"Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. If there is no change in our lives why should we expect the rewards? Here Jesus says that there is no reward if there is no change in our lifestyle.

Entering the Kingdom of God is more than going to church on Sunday or Saturday in our best dress, clean on the outside, it is a complete change of the heart.

Darrell

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common that people were willing to sell everything they have in order to acquire great wealth.

The main point of these parables is that we have a greater treasure in heaven and we should do anything in order to acquire that great wealth.

The way that this should affect our values and our lives is that we should be willing to do anything that God asks us to do for the Kingdom. We should always look to the Kingdom as our great wealth.

The two parables speak of finding something of such great value that you would give all that you have to obtain it. They both stress the superlative value of the kingdom and that a person should be willing to part with everything in order to possess the kingdom, as Jesus requested of the rich young ruler. (Luke 18:22)

The meaning could also be that Jesus is the purchaser who purchased our salvation with His own blood. (Acts 20:28)

We should first seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness

These two parables are alike in the way that they both are examples of finding something that is priceless; something that has more value than all of their posessions combined. They sell everything to have the object of their affection. This is compared to the treasure of finding out about the gospel and the opportunity to live in the righteousness of heaven. The good news of being able to live in heaven should encourage us to keep our eyes on the things above and live in accordance to the teachings of the bible and of Jesus.

The parable of the hiddedn treasure and the pearl of great price both demonstrated that when something of very high value is found, people bear the cost of getting it. In both parables, the two people had to sell their possesion to acquire the greater value asset.

Salvation cost the Lord Jesus his life. We have to pay the cost by being ready to go through every trial and temptation by carrying our cross daily (Luke 9:23= "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me").

In these two parables, someone found something of value, and was willing to give up all they owned to posses it. The main point of these parables, is that God's Kingdom is worth far more then anything on earth. We should keep this in mind, being with God, for eternity, is worth more then all our gold, and by the way, gold is paving material in Heaven. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common?

Both parables are about a man finding a treasure of such great value that they were willing to give up all else, and at great sacrifice, in order to purchase the treasure for their own, for the joy which it held for them.

The main point is that the Kingdom of God is like that.....it is the most precious treasure which can be imagined, and it can be "found" by any who are seeking God. When it becomes our own, it is the source of unimaginable joy and peace!

How should it affect our values?

The Kingdom of God is our "plumb line", if you will, in setting the priority for our values. All else pales in comparison to what the Lord freely gives to us. We were walking dead men and women with a future in hell, before we were given the inestimable treasure purchased by Jesus' blood...now we are ALIVE to Him and dead to sin, a royal priesthood, destined to reign with Him. We should be shouting it from the housetops!!!!

Our lives?

It should affect every area of our lives... I cherish and treasure that HE is mine. I don't know if the men in the parables would have let others know what they found, but we are to share our found treasure with "whosoever" comes across our sphere of influence, and with joy! I want as many as possible to find the greatest treasure ever offered, and the joy which He brings!

Matthew 13:44-46 - 44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 45"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? The kingdom is of great value to each of us.

What is the main point of these parables? The point is not the monetary value but the kingdom is a treasure that is beyond material costs and we must do everything in our power to achieve that heavenly treasure.

How should it affect our values? Our lives? Our values and lives should reflect Jesus' teaching.

[/quo

They both tell of people finding something of great value to them, they are willing to give away or sell everything to possess it.

Nothing is more important then our relationship with Him.

The salvation that comes from accepting Jesus as your Savior is more valuable than anything you could find on this earth.

Both parables have in common about finding a treasure of great price, recognizing the treasured item is worth attaining at any cost and putting into action the process needed to be done to make that treasure your own. The main point is to find something so special, so important, so valuable that everything else is laid aside to attain it. The parable is about God and His Kingdom and recognizing nothing else is of importance except finding it and Him. All else is as nothing and everything else pales in comparison. When we find that and seek to make it our own and treasure it, then our values can't help but change because we will be constantly in a Kingdom mindset. Our lives will be changed because we will have put all else aside to win that race and attain the goal set before us. An eternal goal with eternal treasures.

Q1 The two Parables are treasures that are so priceless that one needs to go all out

to own it, even to the extent of selling all the properties one own just to

process it. The joy of such treasures are beyond comprehension.

The main point is that one should not let go of such rare treasure. It is hard

to come by and it is not every day that such treasure would fall from the sky. To

own it is the greatest joy in life.

We need to value the treasure with great care. To a poor man such opportunity

is like striking a lottery and need to protect it with every effect.

There will definitely be a change in one's life after owning such treasure but

one must bear in mind our humble root and to reach out to those who are not so

fortunate and to share the blessing with others.

Answer;

The similarity involves:

1. FINDING

2. VALUED OBJECT

3. SELLING AND BUYING

That first it involves our participation and cooperartion to

The main thing they have in common is that a person in each found something very valuable and gave everything they had to possess it.

The point is that entrance to the Kingdom of Heaven is so valuable that we should be willing to give all we have to gain it, and we should remove any thing or behavior from our life that might be an obstacle to attaining it.

The things we value most should be the things of God.

Our lives should be lived to reflect our values. That we serve the Lord should be apparent by the way we live, the choices we make and so on.

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common? In both, a person comes across something of great value (the tburied treasure and the pearl). In each case, the person goes away and sells everything he owns to acquire in the one case the treasure and in the other the pearl.

What is the main point of these parables? The pearl and the treasure are like the Kingdom of Heaven for which we should rejoice at giving up everything neccesary to acquire it.

How should it affect our values? Our lives? First of all, we should realise that the Kingdom of Heaven is the most important thing imaginable. It is more important than anything else we possess or are. We should be prepared, and indeeed be happy, to give up or give away whatever it takes to acquire that treasure. That doesn't neccesarily involve us in giving everything we have to the poor, although in some cases it might. The important point is that we rejoice in giving up whatever it is necessary for us to give up to acquire this all important treasure.

Q1. (Matthew 13:44-46) What do the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Price have in common?

Both treasures were worth obtaining whether by accident or by diligently searching for it.

The value of the Kingdom outweighs any sacrifice.

Both relate to the true value of of how we should see Heaven as our ultimate treasure which has no equivalent in earthly terms.We need to learn to let go of what the world sees as wealth and strive for heavenly treasures.

Both are on a man selling everything to be able to buy something better.

Lesson: to us Jesus must be most important.

To me, this question is embarassing.

Because I was busy with other things, I begin this week's study just now.

However yesterday there was a Bible quiz, with also questions on the merchant and his pearl.

I had them all wrong, because I thought it was about the hidden treasure.

If I should have begun in time, I would have known the answers.

The usual interpretation of these parables is that Christ is the hidden treasure and that he is the pearl of great price. And as we go through life we are the people who some day discover him. Then it is up to us to sell all that we have, give it all up, and buy him at any cost. But I submit to you that that is false, and obviously so. Never, anywhere in Scripture is salvation ever offered to us as something we have to buy, or can buy. We are absolute paupers in God's sight. We have nothing to offer him, nothing that we can give in return. Salvation is offered to us as a free gift, entirely by the grace of God. No one can ever give all that he has in order to purchase Jesus Christ because he has nothing to give in the first place. Notice that there are two things in this story, which are immediately recognizable because we have had them before. There is a man, and there is a field. So we already have clues as to what these mean. The man in these parables is always Jesus himself. He has previously identified himself as the central figure. And the field, he has told us, is the world, the world of humanity, the human race, all of society. With these clues that our Lord himself has given us, we now have the key to the understanding of this parable. Jesus came, he says, and found a treasure hidden in humanity. Something was hidden, lost in the human race, but he uncovered it. And then he did an amazing thing. He covered it up again, buried it again. Then he went and gave all that he had and bought that field of humanity.Immediately we are asking ourselves, "What is this treasure?" That is what our Lord wants us to ask. One of the fascinating things about studying Scripture, especially in a series of parables, is to try to answer questions like that -- to seek to fit the puzzle of the parable to the pattern of life, and see where they correspond. Something is hidden in the world. It was hidden when our Lord came. He uncovered it but buried it again, and now it is hidden once more. And there it remains until our Lord's return.

Pax