JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Foundational Forgiveness

Jesus in the above statement is most serious.  We tend to forgive but remember and treat the other person differently.   We must totally or 7 X 7 forgive.  Forgiveness is  a foundational principle of the Kingdom along with love your neighbor.  Forgive him and love him.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. It is the merciful that are included in the Kingdom.  Forgiveness is a standard not an option, but a foundational principle: not of lip service but of the heart.  This takes on a very serious note when I receive forgiveness for a life time of sin (a debt that's unpayable by me) and will not forgive one of my brothers.  I must forgive or listen to the Lord's warning myself.

B. Yes, He is serious.

C. Forgiveness is a foundational principle of the Kingdom.

• 4 years later...

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious?  This is not something to be frightened of. What Jesus is saying is basically that we should strive to love and forgive one another as He, the Most High will love and forgive us. 

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom? It's probably both. First, we need to clarify that forgiveness is not a pardon, ie releasing the trespassers from accountability.  We can emotionally forgive someone for hurting us, but that does not mean we forfeit the right to seek justice. In order for there to an honest act of forgiveness by the aggrieved persons, there needs to be a genuine act of repentance by those that trespassed and injured. Without heartfelt repentance, forgiveness becomes an automatic license to keep trespassing and hurting others.