JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Foundational Forgiveness

Q3 Jesus is not actually frightening us with this statement but rather cautious us

because He knows we are stubborn people. As a loving God, He wants us all to be

saved and enjoy the Kingdom He has prepared for us.

He has to be serious in order to get through to us.

"Forgiveness" is a foundational principle of the Kingdom. It is the criteria needed

to enter into the Kingdom. Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is what forgiveness is all

about. To reconcile men with God.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Answer:

1. Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."?

What are the things to which we should be frighten is found in verse 34:- And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him

Indeed this punishment is very frightening,for the rest of your lives you will be tormented..

I think Jesus wants to highlight(and not to scare us) the seriousness of unforgiveness and lack of compassion to fellow man,on whom God has said HE LOVE SO MUCH(John 3:16).

Unforgiveness is also not a fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23..and no matter how loud you pronounce and confess that you are Born Again,that you make Jesus as your Lord and Personal Saviour,and yet you still have bitterness in your heart,due to unforgiveness:I think you better think again.

We cannot mock God(Galatians 6:7-Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap).

We may say something popular and good ,but deep down in our heart,we still have an issue to our brothers then we are NOT OF CHRIST,for unforgiveness is not a fruit of the spirit,and therefore is not of Christ origin.

And if we are not of Christ,then we deserve nothing but eternal damnation.

2. Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

YES HE IS SERIOUS.God does not Lie..

Forgiveness is the purpose of Why Jesus comes to earth(John 3:16),FOR WHOSOEVER BELIEVE MIGHT…..

HIS GRACE WAS OFFERED TO ALL,so that men will be restored to what GOD has INTENDED man to be in CREATION,according TO HIS IMAGE..Yet after the Fall man has corrupted that image,and it needs a perfect,sinless man in the image and Body of JESUS to bring Man back to His SPIRITUAL NATURE,and erase once and for all that NATURE,that SINFULL Human Nature which separates Him from the right relationship with God..Forgiveness or Reconciliation is a BY product of SALVATION,as a result of what JESUS HAS DONE IN THE CROSS.

And it was given to us freely(BY GRACE),and so God expect us to be gracious also to our fellowmen as reverence to what He has done in the Cross,.Freely we received,freely also we give…

Thank you Lord Jesus.

Jesus does not intend to cause fear to us by saying that His heavenly Father will do likewise to us if we do not forgive those who offend us from our heart. On the contrary, He sends the message powerfully that forgiveness is very important in the kingdom and failure to do it attracts serious consequencies (punishment). Forgiveness restores relationship and relationship is a kingdom requirement.

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35)

Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."?

My take away from these scripture verses is that Jesus really wanted us as believers to understand the importance and seriousness of forgiving one another

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Jesus is teaching us to forgive from our hearts. I think Jesus is serious. Things which Jesus insists on are mostly expressed in parables. Forgiveness is a learnt grace on one hand, that we learn to forgive. On the other hand, it is a foundational principle of the kingdom of God since Jesus teaches us to forgive, and since what Jesus teaches is from the kongdom.

Jesus is teaching us to forgive from our hearts. I think Jesus is serious. Things which Jesus insists on are mostly expressed in parables. Forgiveness is a learnt grace on one hand, that we learn to forgive. On the other hand, it is a foundational principle of the kingdom of God since Jesus teaches us to forgive, and since what Jesus teaches is from the kingdom.

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? I don

3a)Jesus wants us to know that forgiveness from the heart is key to the kingdom of heaven. Without this we will perish & not gain eternal life. huh.gif B)Yes c)I feel it is both learned grace as we grow as Christians & understand more true extent of cost of Jesus death being a substitute for my sins/failures, and a foundational principle of the kingdom, knowing Jesus as saviour is only way into kingdom and to be presented to smile.gif our heavenly Father.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you...? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Jesus intention was not to frighten us but to let us know that if we want to be forgiven, we also have to learn to forgive others not by justing saying it with our lips, but really mean it in our hearts. He is serious to the extent that since we know that eternal salvation and the ultimate end and judge comes from God/Jesus, it can be a learned grace, but first we need to examine our heart, and ask God to change our heart so we as christians can abide in Christ, then we can have the character of Christ, which learning this grace will be second nature to us. Yes, forgiveness is a foundational principle of the kingdom in my opinion, since we have to be forgiven by God for our offenses to him first, and then we should believed that we are forgiven.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious?

He wants us to forgive each other as His Father does forgive us. He is not joking, He is serious.

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Frogiveness is a foundational principle of the Kingdom. That is why Jesus is giving it as a command and not a request that we should learn to forgive each other.

• 10 months later...

Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: �This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you...�?

Because not forgiving others can cause us not to receive salvation. It is very serious. We have to forgive others so that our sin can be forgiven. Jesus said it a few times. So if we dont forgive others, our sin can not be forgiven. If our sin is not forgiven, we can not receive salvation. I think that is why Jesus mentioned it a few times, so that we can realize how serious forgiveness is.

Is he serious?

Yes!!!

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Both. We usually can't forgive easily from childhood. We have to practice it, each time we do it, it becomes easier.

What i tell my people is this. Practice it. Forgive your child, it is easy because you love him. Forgive your wife, you need a good relationship with her, and it will build your relationship. Forgive the stranger that bumps into you on the sidewalk. It was an accident, not intended. now that you have practiced forgiving easy transgressions, go a step higher. Forgive that person who scratched your car. It is expensive and will be an inconveniance to fix. Forgive the one who stole your wedding ring. It has sentimental value and was expensive. Once you practiced forgiving more difficult cases, move to the extreame cases, the guy who spread rumours that caused you to loose your promotion. He degraded your name, made you look bad to your bosses and cost you money. This will leave most people bitter. Forive these hard cases and it has become part of your character. Of course you will need God's help with this so ask for it regularly. Dont just ask for it, you must long for it to be able to forgive easily, have a yearning for it.

If is very much part of the Kingdom because it shows God's love. It also is a relationship builder, between people but also between us and God. It makes us more and more to become a mirror image of Christ.

• 3 months later...

This is a frightening statement, but rather than trying to frighten us, I believe Jesus was trying to warn us in the most serious terms of how the Father views the matter of forgiving. I think genuine forgiveness of this quality and magnitude is a foundational principle of the Kingdom. Believers are given the character of Christ, and His character displays a willingness and desire to forgive. That is how people are redeemed to Him. Yet this kind of forgiveness in us is impossible apart from the grace of God through the Spirit’s work in us, so in that sense I guess it is “learned”. We have to be freed of the human nature that wants to be bitter and harbor grudges, and that comes through the practical experiences of being wounded and learning to forgive. We also have to be broken of the pride that glorifies self in choosing not to forgive.

I think Jesus was serious when He gave this parable. People who are unwilling to authentically forgive from the heart do not display the evidence of a heart transformed by Christ. Those who calls themselves Christian without reflecting the character of Christ need to do a serious evaluation of their profession of faith and/or submitted walk with Him. When we harbor an unforgiving attitude, we demonstrate a hard heart that is nothing like Christ.

• 7 months later...

The statement is definitely something to think about, that you do not want to think about….God treating us as we treat others, Him not forgiving us for our sins if we do not forgive others. I do not think that we realize how serious this matter of forgiveness really is. Unforgiveness can bring on a host of problems that can affect our health and well-being as well as our spiritual growth, development, and relationship with God. It is not always easy to forgive but it has to be done and done from the heart. I think it is both a learned grace and foundational principle, with the latter being first. We have to be able to forgive from the heart and if we pray; and ask God to help us with doing that, He can and will give us the grace to do it.