JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q4. (Exodus 14:4, 17-18) Why is God�s glory important in the Exodus? How is recognition of his glory important to faith? To holiness? To reverence? What happens when leaders take for themselves the credit and glory that should go only to God? How can leaders keep themselves from pride?

I wonder how we can even have to ask a question about God's glory. Who is man that we are mindful of him? Everything is of God, to God and through God. We are nothing without Him, we can do nothing without Him and yet we take glory for things. It is mind boggling to consider.

God's glory in the Exodus was important to show just one of the big ego heads on this planet that he was a worm, pharoah was nothing. Any power he had was granted by the Lord of Hosts.

How often do I forget to recognize God's glory? Well it could be when I have my mind on myself. That is deadly. I end up depressed and failure. We need to recognize God's glory to stand strong in the faith, to desire a holy walk, to love and adore Him above all else.

His Glory stands supreme over all the earth.

When leaders take credit for what God and God alone did is stealing from God what is His alone. I believe maybe the angels in heaven shudder because they carry out His wrath.

Lord help us. We need to humble ourselves before Him and express our sorrow for the sin in us and thank Him for the gift He gave us in His Son. Thank you Father, thank you Jesus, thank you Holy Spirit that You are mindful of us.

On this earth I am not a leader or a person of "earthly" importance except to those in my family but I am important to God. He knows the little person down in the glen. People like pharoah know only themselves and they must lead very boring lives.

"To God be the glory, great things He has done, So loved He the world that He gave us His Son, Who yielded His life an atonement for sin, And opened the lifegate that all may go in."

What did pharoah do for anyone but himself, nothing. What did God do for me? EVERYTHING!!

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 4 months later...

4a)The Israelities faith grew as they saw the Lord mightily defeated the Egyptian army crushing them as they tried to cross the Red Sea. The honour and glory of the Lord was evident for the peoples of the area to see.This defeat was important for the israelites protection in the Exodus, to prevent Egyptians mounting another attack. b)Rocognising and believing in what God is doing, and giving him the credit is important, this builds our faith.As we give him the glory and the praise it purifies us, and we have right thought about God and what he is doing in our lives. c)If we put results down to us what we have done, we are not living holy lives but letting our pride rule, not revering God and his power as we should d)When leaders take the credit for “victories” themselves, their pride is puffed up. We must acknowledge that the power is not ours but God’s, and we should give him the glory, which is our purpose. e)leaders can keep themselves from pride by daily,submitting to him in worship,and realising we are nothing without Him.

• 1 month later...

Why is God's glory important in the Exodus? IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT THE PEOPLE, IT IS TO DEMONSTRATE THAT HE IS THE ONE AND ONLY GOD TO OTHER, gods, like Pharaoh.

How is recognition of his glory important to faith? GLORY BUILDS FAITH. WHEN WE WALK BY FAITH, WE HAVE NO FEAR

To holiness? IT IS ALL ABOUT GOD

To reverence? IT IS ALL ABOUT GOD

What happens when leaders take for themselves the credit and glory that should go only to God? HE DEALS WITH THEM, HANDILY!

How can leaders keep themselves from pride? STAY IN THE WORD! IN THE WORD, IS THE WILL--STAY THERE!!

• 1 year later...

God's glory is important during the exodus because first and foremost He is God and not Pharaoh or the gods of Egypt.  Secondly, God wants the people to know that He is God and that nothing is impossible for Him.  He wants them to put their faith and trust in Him.

Recognition of God's glory to faith, holiness, and reverence is important because all three of these are in response to our recognition of God Almighty Maker of Heaven and Earth.  It is to the glory of God that we acknowledge and serve Him.  He is creator, holy, and King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  By our recognition of God's glory we realize that we are not gods, not holy, just lost humanity.  Humanity has a way of wanting to deify itself.  Recognizing the glory of God puts us in our rightful place as God's creation.  That is not a bad thing.  We cannot enjoy the benefits of being God's creation if we are in constant rebellion against God.  Humanity by nature is selfish and self promoting.  Therefore if we do not allow God's glory to shine through us we can never get rid of the old sin nature and grow into the people God intended for us to be.

Leaders can avoid pride and self promotion by constantly praising and giving God the glory for the works and ministries they do.

• 10 months later...
Q4. (Exodus 14:4, 17-18) Why is God glory important in the Exodus? How is recognition of his glory important to faith? To holiness? To reverence? What happens when leaders take for themselves the credit and glory that should go only to God? How can leaders keep themselves from pride? 

Seeing God's Glory demands an action from the people. It is something undeniable to those who believe and those who oppose such belief in a Holy God. God is spoken about through Moses and is seen mightly and without question through miraculous events. To acknowlege His Glory is to show faith and be built up in it. Those who take glory for themselves have not acknowledged the power of their God in their ministry or themselves. The try to rob the glory knowingly or unknowlingly and fall as short as Pharaoh with sighting only themselves as a super power. Leaders who are responsible to the people will always acknowledge their God and His power in every word or action that comes from them. This maintains a humble and contrite heart, one that is always focused on leading the people to the same knowledge as they have of His Lordship.

• 4 months later...

God's glory is important in Exodus because the people were coming out of slavery, forced labor from the Egyptians and the whole process of doing so showed that God keeps His covenant with His people.  He takes his marriage with His people serious and He showed them that by His might only could they be freed.  It was by His Glory, His might power, that He did what He did and all glory and honor goes to Him.  We must recognize God's glory because in doing so we are demonstrating humility, dependence upon Him and fear of the Lord.  We are reverencing the Holy God and hallowing His name!  It is not good or safe to bear pride and take God's credit and glory.  Before a fall comes pride, and King Saul can tell us about pride, fear of man and getting the glory for himself.  Allow the Holy Spirit to check us and constantly examine ourselves.  Always try to remember that we are nothing or do can do nothing without God. 

• 3 years later...

God's glory is important in Exodus because now the world will know and believe in an all powerful and real and living God!  Who can witness this power and not believe??? God wiped out the whole army of the most powerful people of the times and their king too!!!!  They refused to believe but now there is no doubt!!!!  This power is unmatched and can not be denied!!  No mortal or stone god can do what God just did!!!  This glory of God is important to show him to be in control of all things without any doubt!!.  Man has no power to match God.  We did not create ourselves, or anything in this world.  Man was created by God for his glory so anything we do in his name , is for his glory and praise, he gets all of the glory and praises.  What mortal can explain the wonders of this world or created it from nothing?  Can speak it and it is so?????  God chose the Israelites as his people for this purpose, that through them the world would see his glory and his faithfulness to those who will trust in him and be obedient to his word;  to serve him and worship him and do his will. God's glory is evident in the story of this people and how he delivered them and provided for them and all he asked was for them to trust in him, obey him and serve and worship him as their living God.  He provided everything they would need to do just that!...  Their forefathers, for 400 plus years had believed in this God who they had never seen and only had a promise of, but now they were actual eyewitnesses to Him and his power and to all that was promised. They actual see the power of their God, not just the belief in it, but the actual, physical prove of Him, and their enemies as well witness it.  Moses finally realized this power and he came to know and trust in it, realizing he was only a servant, a spokesperson for it.  He could not take credit for it because it wasn't his.  Our leaders are to do the same.  We are just an instruments.    " FOR WE ARE HIS WORKMENSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS,  WHICH GOD PREPARED BEFORE HAND, THAT WE  WOULD WALK IN THEM.    Leaders can keep themselves from pride by being humble and recognizing that they are only to do the will of the father and that we are nothing by ourselves.  It is the power and the glory of God that we are to exalt and not ourselves.  He said  if he be lifted up he will draw all men.....   All of the glory honor and power belongs to God.   This Exodus story is also proof of how God deals with disobedience in his people.  The reason they were in bondage in the first place was because of disobedience and turning from God and living in sin with other nations and adopting other gods.  God's wrath is just as powerful as his glory, mercy and grace!!  We see witnesses here to both!!!! Which one will you choose???

• 4 years later...

Q4. (Exodus 14:4, 17-18)

Why is God's glory important in the Exodus?

How is recognition of His glory important to faith? To holiness? To reverence?

What happens when leaders take for themselves the credit and glory that should go only to God?

How can leaders keep themselves from pride?

God's glory/honor is important because not only the Egyptians but all nations  will come to know of what He has done, of how He led His people out of slavery.  Pharaoh was slanting God's name when he said   "Who is he, that I should let you go?"  In spite of everything Pharaoh had witnessed , in his heart of hearts, he still wanted to destroy the faith of the Hebrew and bring them back to slavery, this is termed, he hardened his heart, and would not let them go.  When the Sea parted for the Israelites and they crossed on dry ground, Pharaoh and his army followed and when those waves crashed back and swallowed them they knew they had to do with the Maker of Heaven and Earth and sure recognized His glory before they drowned. The Egyptians that had stayed back sure too acknowledged and witnessed God's glory. 

By recognizing God's glory it boosted their faith and the Israelites could cross over the sea on dry ground. Just to think that is what my God can do, is just amazing.  It sure does boost one's faith and makes one 'fear and revere' Him, more than ever.  It makes one desire to live holy as He is holy and calls us to live.

Help me dear Lord, I fail so often.

Pride comes before a fall and so often one finds when the leader is put on a pedestal, not much later, stuff comes to light, bringing his downfall.  When a leader is shown honor,  the best is to give that to God immediately and remain humble.

• 1 year later...

God's glory, as described here, reminds me of the Mideastern notion of honor. Westerners, unlike Mideasterners, generally take criticism lightly ... yes, there were feuding families like the Hatfields and McCoys, but they were rare, very rare. IN the Mideast, if a family's honor is abrogated, family members are obligated to revenge or protect the honor of the family. Thus, honor killings of young girls who fall in love with undesirable men, etc. In the West, we simply don't have this. Not only is it illegal, it's also thought of as unethical. Because we are so stridently individualistic, we take pride in ourselves and nuclear family, not our extended families, church or country. So the idea of protecting God's honor has been forgotten, if it ever existed in the first place.

God's glory is like His honor. When God is insulted, His ancient people took up arms to defend His name. THey weren't acting as individuals but as a tribe with God as it's head. To insult God, then, was to insult His tribe. To insult oneself.

Glory has to be seen/sensed to be glory. Glory hid under a rock is not glory. I think that's important to the understanding of God's glory, that glory has meaning only to the degree that it is seen or felt corporately. Yes, Moses was alone with God when He saw God's glory while receiving the Ten Commandments, but that glory became historically/tribally significant only after Moses came down from the mountain "glowing." 

I have seen prideful church leaders, but none of them took credit for what God was clearly doing. Thankfully. Protecting the self against pride would take a different form in each leader. My hunch is that most leaders have their egos in check.