JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Fragrance of Christ

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a)

In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

Knowing God is fragrant to people who are open to God in the sense that, when a person spreads the gospel and acts according to that gospel, the people to whom the gospel is being spread will easily become converted and follow what the gospel provides.

In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God?

This fragrance is repugnant to people who are closed to God in a way that, such people do see the gospel as restricting on their earthly ungodly doings; such people are doomed to end in eternal hell.

Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

I try with my level best not to suppress my 'fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume. I try to spread the perfume. However, knowing that, I am a human being and can fall; I always pray to the Lord to keep me steady and when I fall, to forgive me and give me courage to stand and be back on track.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? When we are filled with the Holy Spirit we are filled with peace and joy. Others can sense this peace and joy and are drawn to it and ask questions like How are you so happy?

In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? When someone is closed to God, they may sense our peace and joy as fake, not genuine. When I was in Sin and away from God I wore my pain and anger like a beautiful coat, showing it off for all to see.

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel? I am a very empathetic person, sometime I do suppress as to not overwhelm, however I feel God calling me to be Bold in spreading his word, and to not tame down my "fragrance" I believe I can regain the fragrance by prayer, faith and staying in the word and asking each day for God to show me how to serve him and others and make that my top priority for the day.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

Meeting a fellow Christian is like a breath of fresh air. When people are seeking God and open to His Spirit's working in their lives, to encounter someone who brings the words of life would be like a fresh fragrance.

To people hell bent on rejecting God and the Gospel, the sight of a Christian is anathema to them. To encounter anyone not indulging in the worldly pleasures they embrace and with an obviously more righteous outlook, makes their consciences condemn them and they feel so uncomfortable in the presence of a Christian that they actually turn their noses up at us, as they would to a bad smell.

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

Yeah, plenty of times. Sometimes it isn't appropriate to make a stand in some situations and other times I've just been slack.

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

Jesus says we can't become salt again once we lose our saltiness. I haven't completely failed so there are still opportunities for me to influence others. I pray for opportunities to do so.

Q. In what sense is knowing GOD fragrant to people who are open to GOD?

A. The fragrance of hope. Simply put. The fragrance is potent to those who are open to the good news. Hope brings people to want to know more.

Q. In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to GOD?

A. The smell of death, the smell of truth of their own sinful nature. The idea that the good news exposes them makes these people even angrier. No one likes to be exposed of their iniquities (unless you're a Christian and you seek with prayer for any hidden sins), nonbelievers do not like that.

Q. Have you suppressed you fragrance because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

A. Yes unfortunately and embarrassing to mention it, yes. I was a new born again Christian and was embarrassed to expose my Jesus to my friends. Not any more. Everyone knows now that I'm saved.

In order to regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel I must study the Word, meditate the Word and with the Holy Spirit's guidance pray that in time people can smell hope and King JESUS on me.:-)

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

I liken it to those who like hanoi hotels darkness and those who like light. To those who are open to God it will be sweet and comforting. To those who are in darkness it is uncomfortable because it conflicts with the darkness in them. They can see themselves and it brings forth rage and anger. It is a spiritual battle raging in people.

I tread slowly with some people because I know the reaction is going to be viceral. I wait for openings. Is that suppressing? I don't feel so. People know my beliefs and the reaction here has been intense on many occasions. Sometimes it is good to pull back. The Lord went off by Himself many times. He knew the hatred of our enemy. People who are fighting God will react to the fragrance of God. They will want to get rid of it, ridicule, shun, persecute, murder it is so totally opposed to the natural unredeemed sin nature.

I agree with the first post. We need to pray for each other. I need prayer.

This analogy of the procession of triumphant soldiers making their way within a cloud of fragrance is vivid to me. To anyone who is open and seeking, this scent of God will be appealing. It will be like the aroma of fresh baked bread to a starving beggar. To the person who is closed and self-satisfied, this scent of God will have no draw. It might even smell interesting, but with a belly full of self, it won’t be appealing.

When we operate out of self, we mask the fragrance of God with a cheap smelly knock-off. The genuine and true fragrance can only come when a believer becomes a vessel filled with the perfume of the Spirit of God. Then we have to allow our flesh nature be broken and shattered to release that beautiful aroma. That comes little by little with every decision to give up what we want for what God wants, to give up what we love for what God loves, to give up our perceptions of truth for what God says is true. This transformation comes as we are immersed in His Word and yielded to the Spirit’s development of Christ’s qualities in us. If we’ve lost that fragrance, we need to evaluate how broken we are.

1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

The love of God revived and really is like lightning when it appears in a Christian believer. When we obey Christ fully in acknowledging HIM as our LORD, and when we tell others about Christ love for us, Christ work and authority in those who believes really shows. The fragrance of God really shows when we really know God personally. When we know God, we cannot hide from HIM and we know 100 percent that HE is watching us all the time.

In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel

1) Fragrance of life-We are to be like a sweet perfume whose fragrance will attract people to God. This is a fragrance of Christ within us. An aroma to both the saved and the unsaved. People that have this fragrance are used wherever they go to tell others about Jesus.

2) Fragrance of death-This is the smell of people who are perishing. They are lost, dying and being destroyed forever.

3) Yes, in the past for fear of offending someone.

4) First, ask forgiveness. Then, be who I am in Christ. I no longer hide my love for God. If I am out in public and something happens where I know it was a blessing from the Lord, I no longer surpress my thankfulness I say "thank you Jesus". When someone ask me how am I able to make ends meet on a pension, I tell them I owe it all to God. I am no longer afraid to witness to them that if He did it for me He will do the same thing for you. Praise God!

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

Those who are open to God are those who are drawn by the sweet smell of the Gospel, the sweet aroma comes from those who have offered themselves through the Messiah to God, as a living sacrifice, spreading the sweet aroma of obedience, a sweet fragrance of what it means to know Him.

The fragrance of life smells like death to those who are closed to God, because it would cost them something, the sweet fragrance, the Gospel, calls one to come out of sin, death, sad to say there are far too many that cannot stand the smell of the Good News, for it is death to them, life to them is continuing to live in sin, sin is their fragrant aroma.

Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

Oh my No! I am not sure how a true believer can suppress the sweet aroma that comes from within?

The Messiah is the sweet fragrance of the Gospel; it is because we are open to God, that we are willing to follow after Him in obedience that we put on its sweet fragrance, displaying to those who are allergic to its perfume, the "Life" that lives within, how sweet it is! :)

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

The message of salvation brings joy to those who receive it. This also pleases God and is thus like a good perfume that smells sweet.

This is not the case with those who reject the gospel. To this category of people, the gospel is repulsive to them. Thy do not believe it and thus head for eternal damnation in hell. The failure to know the true saviour is like a smell of death- eternal death.

Most of us hessitate to share the gosple because we fear rejection or even persecution. I for one do hereby make up my mind to proclaim the gospel whenever the opportunity arises.

Sensing we are bringing life to those perishing. Repugnant when they choose death over life. My fragrance over the years has been suppressed, but God is changing that! By totally abiding in Him & obeying Him.

1.BELIVERS KNOW THE LIFE- GIVING FRAGRANCE WE GET FROM GODS WORD. TO NON-BELIVERS IT SMELLS FOUL , LIKE DEATH THEIR OWN.

2.BELIVERS ARE TO BE LIKE SWEET SMELLING PERFUME. NON-BELIVERS CANT' SEEM TO NOTICE THE SWEET SAVOUR.

BUT IF WE AS BELIVERS REMAIN STEADFAST IN CHRIST HIS SPIRIT WORKING IN US WILL ATTRACT OTHERS

3.NO I HAVE NOT SUPRESSED MY FRAGRANCE KNOWING THAT HE IS WORKING IN ME HELPS ME SPREAD HIS WORD.

4.HE HAS GIVEN US THE HOLY SPIRIT TO SPEAK WITH HIS POWER. HE WATCHES US DAILY, PROTECTING US AS WE WORK FOR HIM DAILY.

It is much easier to tell people of Christ who wonder, want to hear the Word that will make them a believer. They are open to the Word and want confirmation that Christ is truly the way, the truth and the life. For those who believe that they are their own god and have true power over their lives, the task is not as easy. The only thing I can do is to pray for them, to pray for the Spirit to give me the words that will, in some way, give them something to think about. Some need spoonfuls, some can only manage a crumb at a time. Ultimately, it is only the Holy Spirit that can bring around change in hearts. I confess, I sometimes only throw out a crumb at a time because it seems that this is all they would be willing to swallow. I will continue to pray for boldness, for myself and for all the saints that the Mighty Creator will use us, inspite of ourselves.

God is a sweet smell and when you are around other christain the sweet smell draws other christain to you and people that are not christain will want what you have and will ask you whant is it that you have because I want it. The false smell is the smell that you get when you are around alot of unchristain people . The devil smell is the opposite of the sweet smell. I use to be afraid to people know the way I love God and how he is my all and all but I realize he is my life I love him.

We discover that God is good and actually ... loves us!! doesn't it feel good to be loved, I mean, really loved? :-)

.. and God is ... like the stars, the ocean, the high mountains ... so deep, so high, so big, so perfect, so ... it's just too much!! ... but all this is good news only because God is primarily love! :-) ... if you start feeling it ... it smells good! :-)

I guess they smell only part of the flavor of it, as the one who got one talent, and said he was afraid because God was "... reaping where [he] did not sow, and gathering where [he] scattered no seed..."

The evil one loves to mix the truth with the lie... so we smell something from the knowledge of God, and we misinterpret it!

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

I don't want to enter into a role, or to act out of guilt, as I used to do; but I have been many times regulating my perfume to the degree I thought people could accept it.

Yet, it is not I who know the hearts of people, so I need not to be afraid, but I should instead speak the truth from my heart in boldness. And not be afraid to tell as I feel in my heart, even though they can mock me... (but Jesus loves me! :-))

It's the fragrance of the knowledge of God! ... so it's as 2 Peter says, "make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,

2Pe 1:6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,

2Pe 1:7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

2Pe 1:8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Fragrant -sweet smelling - pleasing - alluring, when a Believer's relationship is an intimate relationship with God there are simply some beautiful aspects that are revealed. To those who are open to God they are receptive to the things of God therefore fragrant of God is pleasing to them as well. I personally love testimonies where the power of God was revealed. It could have manifested through healing, a financial blessing, comfort or simply how the Spirit empowered someone to behave in a difficult situation.

It is repugnant to people who are closed to God when hypocrisy is amidst, when the motives are not genuine; when evil has a stronger influence; when the person is filled with or full of Self; when they've experienced a great hurt; as they reject the Spirit because of their belief, intelligence or pride.

Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

My fragrance in relation to God knowingly I can't say that I have suppressed it, however knowing people I know that I have. In the marketplace (work or activities outside of a church house) my actions, behavior and speak are wholesome and some whom I encounter deem me as a good person. Some will acknowledge and or see the Christ in me. Often times depending on whom I am taking with or to I do not name the Name Jesus. I may say I thank Him, or He is good, or there is Somebody Greater, being that I do not say Lord or Jesus, if they are blind they may not smell His fragrance emitting from me. Some may simply see me a good person, however as they come to know more about me, many have come to know that I am His.

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

As for myself and to anyone who feel that they have suppressed their fragrance relating to God reengage in the relationship. I know many people that are married but not engaged in the marriage. When dating even an onlooker could see their passion, however after years in the marriage it would take an archeologist to discover it. We need to commune with Him, talk with Him and more importantly listen to Him. The Holy Spirit will empower us according to His leading. Every Christian doesn't not have to imitate Peter or Paul as they did Christ, some personalities may align more to Andrew's, Mary's or Barnabas as they followed Christ. If we feel that we have suppressed our fragrance relating to Christ we should pray that whatever cause us to do so that He would remove. After which believe in faith what He does and Walk.

The sense in knowing God’s fragrant to people who are open to God is to know if they are open to his word. If they are open to his word it makes it easier to talk to them.

The way this fragrance is repugnant to people who are closed to God is that they will reject you prior to you even saying anything to them.

I do have a tendency to suppress my “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume. To people who are open to the gospel I will talk about it but to those that are closed to it I usually don’t mention it.

People who are open to or seeking God, will be attracted by godliness. Those who are closed to God will want to move away from a person who demonstrates godliness, as this fragrance is not what attracts them, they will find it repels them. In the natural, we are drawn to what we like, whether it is lovely or ugly, and drawn away from what we do not like. So it is in the spiritual. This puts some responsibility on us who know God to ensure that we are in fact displaying his loveliness. If we don’t display it, we can’t attract people to the loveliness and ultimately its source.

The question of whether I have suppressed my “fragrance” is challenging. I think what happens to me is more that when I am under pressure I tend to not wear God’s fragrance. Or, when people do not appreciate a godly fragrance, my tendency is to withdraw, or to even take on their fragrance. – a bit like, oh well, I will throw you back the fragrance you have dumped on me”. I allow my fragrance to turn toxic perhaps because I am feeling hurt or stressed. “Lord, preserve me from toxicity, and help me to put on your fragrance every day, starting from today. Amen”. Putting on fragrance requires me to life up the bottle and push the spray to release the fragrance… “Lord, be lifted up in my life today, and I release your Spirit to fill me”.

To people who are open to God, a person who carries the fragrant of God is a welcomed opportunity to hear the gospel message and thereby grow closer in relationship with God and increases their faith.

This fragrance is repugnant to people who are closed to God because the light of the pure Word of God, given the the preached GOOD NEWS, will shine a light on their ungodly deeds so that their evil work cannot be hidden.

I suppose we have all at one time or the other suppressed our "fragrance" because of company where the Christian message would not be readily received. With the help of the Holy Spirit; to regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel, we can say, regardledd of the reception I will wisely present the gospel is ways where it is received and not rejected outright.

• 2 weeks later...

This fragrance is repugnant to people who are closed to God, because it signifies eternal death. The smell of death is the odor of the putrefying flesh of a corpse. Even when masked by funeral spices, the smell is still present. No one is fooled. It is the smell of people who are "perishing," ap-ollymi, "to cause or experience destruction," here in the middle voice, "perish, be ruined." Many Christians don't really believe that people are lost, dying, and being destroyed forever to end up in a hell eternally separated from God. But that is the pungent odor of eternal death that Paul is trying to contrast with the fragrant smell of life and victory.

No, I have not suppressed my “fragrance.” Looking at the news and the condition of the world it shows that sin is rampant, and the need for the gospel message to go out is greater than ever before.

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

When I get discouraged or sin, I know that I can regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel by confessing my sin to God and trusting in the power of His Word to not only give out the gospel, but to live it.

The fragrance of God is like the fragrance of life to those who are open to the gospel. It is like a sweet smelling spice.

The fragrance of God is like the smell of death to those who are in opposition. This fragrance is the stench of eternal death.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a)

In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

They welcome it and are convinced that is sweet and beneficial.

When they have prejudice and rejection in their hearts.

Yes in some way.

By living as a testimony of Christ before them.

• 1 month later...

Whenever Christians take a stand for the “Truth” found in Scriptures, we have an effect on those around us. To those who are open to God, the effect is positive. To those who are not, the effect is negative. The tendency is to “water down” the Gospel’s fragrance in order to make it more acceptable to all. Paul is saying that he is unwilling to suppress the truth and is encouraging his readers to follow his example. You can revive your fragrance by setting your eyes on the prize and looking at the end result instead of compromising to make it more pleasant for now.

• 7 months later...

3a)It is the sense of peace, love & hope we have when we accept Jesus as our saviour, &receive his forgiveness&promise of eternal life.This causes people to ask questions &think.BThose who don’t believe they are lost and separated from God, including Christians are not saved. As believers our message makes people,see faulty lifestyle &thoughts. Gospel confronts people,seen as repugnant to those who are closed to God.c)I know my behaviour loses it’s saltiness at times, when not close to Lord.d)Regain fragrance by confessing, staying close to Jesus and his word, and seeking the His guidance through Spirit.

• 1 year later...

The fragrance of knowing God to people who are open to Him is the sweet message of forgiveness, involvement, and the hope of eternal life with God in His presence.  On the other hand, the gospel is repugnant  to those who only see the gospel as restrictive to sinful lifestyles.

I preach and  teach the gospel to others and do not let their attitudes affect mine.  I strive to love and honor God and encourage others to do the same.  I do not let other people's attitude regarding God affect my own.