JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. A New Creation

Verse 7 teaches us that the old has passed away and there is a new person. The change in a person when he puts his faith in Christ is everything. He has a complete paradigm shift. We are still human creatures and still have the same wants it just that our way of looking at things have changed.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:16-17) What does verse 17 teach us about the nature of a new believer? What changes in a person when he puts his faith in Christ? Why don’t old habits disappear immediately if everything has become new?

The song that says 'the things I used to do, I do them no more... there is a great change since I am norn again' tells us how the new believer helped by the spirit of God begins to live a life pleasing unto the Lord. The bad things are no longer his/ her major engagement.

Old habits however take a while to disappear as God allows us to change by our willful submission to the Holy Spirit. This is a struggle against the flesh that wages war against us.

I however wish He would change me automatically and fully even now.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:16-17) What does verse 17 teach us about the nature of a new believer? What changes in a person when he puts his faith in Christ? Why don’t old habits disappear immediately if everything has become new?

What does verse 17 teach us about the nature of a new believer?

He becomes a new creation.

What changes in a person when he puts his faith in Christ?

His identity of his inner being changed and now belongs to God. His heart begins to focus on things above.

Why don’t old habits disappear immediately if everything has become new?

The inner being is really brand new but the sins that old man laid on the flesh need to be mortified.The faster we deal with the old habits, the faster they disappear.

Verse 17 teaches us that a new believer in Christ is a new creation.

When a person trusts in Christ,he is given a new nature.

Old habits don't disappear immediately because a Christian still has the old nature in addition to the new nature.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:16-17) What does verse 17 teach us about the nature of a new believer?

Verse 17 teaches us that old nature of a new believer has been renewed.

What changes in a person when he puts his faith in Christ?

The inner man of a person changes when he puts his faith in Christ. The Spirit of God is now within and set you on a new course.

Why don’t old habits disappear immediately if everything has become new?

Even though you have been set you on a new course, and changed on the inside, every old habit will begin to dissapear who you fully

cooperate with the Holy Spirit so that the change on the inside will alter your outward life as well. It is a process and it takes time. But

the beginning creative work of the Holy Spirit has begun.

• 1 year later...

Verse 17 teaches us that anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and belongs to Him is a new creation/person.  The old life is gone a new life has begun.  The believer's perspective of life and worldview changes. The central change is that the Holy Spirit begins to work in the life of the individual who belongs to Jesus.  Moving the believer to become Christ-like and honoring God with his/her life.  The new perspective opens one's mind to whole new way of viewing of life from an other worldly view.

Accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and repenting of sin begins the process of growing, developing spiritually into a mature Christ-like human-being.  This is a process.  As long as we are in this world, walking in this existence we still have to battle and overcome sin, temptation, and the old nature.  And there is learning to submit our will to the will of God.  However, as Christians filled with and open to the work of the Holy Spirit in our life, our nature begins to change and develop into a more Christ-like human-being.  The desires of our heart are quick to change when Jesus comes into our life.  Actions are sometimes slower.  But change does come with intention and desire to please God coupled with a willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to work in out life.  The Christian is work in process.

• 3 months later...

Its wonderful to be reborn again this morning; I was definitively saved Sept 2, 2007. Now I'm being led through a spiritual detox program to let go of everything and trust the Lord with every breath of my life. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood.

In trusting God more and in have the right mentor here on earth, we have the opportunity to walk closer and examine our reactioins, habits and be more able to choose to do the "next right thing"

Praise the Lord!

• 8 months later...

A new believer is changed by the in pouring of the Holy Spirit and is a new creation. A work In progress. As time, even decades go p ast the work of sanctification goes on making us closer and closer to the person God wants us tobe like. When we die we go immediately to God and sanctification is complete and we live with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit fore ver. Our joy will be complete.

The old habits are hard to break because we still liv in the same old creation and we therefore need the guidance of the Holy Spirit every day.

• 7 months later...

Verse 17 teaches us that the nature of a new believer will change from that of a worldly life to a life that is devoted and dedicated to the Lord, being helped in our weakness by the Holy Spirit. All our actions and moral beliefs will change over our life or if not instantly, but of he commands of Christ.most all people will react differently.

The things that change us after we have become a believer is the fact we through faith obey and follow the commands of Christ.

The same old habits die slowly in our new life for Christ. Why is this, I do not know, some people have their life changed instantly, and all habits that are not beneficial for the Lord are gone. These people have a great witness statement for believers and non believers. Others seem to take a life time to come around to the sanctified life for Christ. 

• 8 years later...

"So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view..... Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Isn't it amazing that the Spirit is inside of us? That's the difference, really. Once we were Spirit-less, then the Spirit comes within us, mysteriously and silently. The Spirit is the cause of our new nature. This is completely the work of God. I'm not certain about election, whether God chose me prior to my desiring Him, but I am sure that His gift of the Spirit is wholly His, that I didn't understand or have anything to do with my indwelling Spirit.

Obviously, the Spirit could have transformed us instantly but God's will was that we have a part in our own transformation. We have to willfully deny ourselves -- die to self -- so that more "space" exists for the Spirit. I wish this were not the case!  It would be so much easier if Christ completely erased our old nature. Perhaps this will happen in heaven.