JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Ministry Hardships

1a)Paul by sharing what he had struggled through could encourages Corinthian believers that they too can stand firm,showing his faith is living &active &his claim of apostleship is authentic even in trials.

B)This help them see his faith &leadership is tested &proven even through times of testing.

c)Yes but try to limit it to God &spouse if possible.d)Paul faced far worst,yet his faith stood firm,he has inspired me to battle on with Jesus, &show my faith more clearly, &daily put others first instead of self.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 6:3-13) Why do you think Paul shares so much about his various struggles with the Corinthians? How does this help them accept his apostleship as authentic? Have you ever complained about what you’ve had to put up with in your ministry? How does it compare to what Paul faced?          

Paul shares his struggles in the gospel ministry with the Corinthians to prove to them that he is a true minister and will endure whatever hardships to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ to them (out of love for them and Jesus as well as others).  His hardships indicate his willingness and commitment to suffer in Christ for them.  Paul does this despite the hostility, discomfort, deprivation, and danger his cutting edge ministry encountered.  Paul was the true deal.

The insincere, fakes cannot handle hardship and persecution and remain faithful to Christ or the people they are ministering to because they are in the ministry for some kind of personal gain or personal glory.   Sell books, book speaking tours, count the cash to the bank -- that kind of ministry.  I'm the greatest kind of ministry.  These kinds of people aren't equipped to handle demonic opposition.

Yes, I have complained at times, about what I have had to put up with in the ministry in dealing with some people's behavior.  Particularly within the Church.  However, it does not compare with what Paul faced and it won't stop me from being a minister of the gospel.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 6:3-13) Why do you think Paul shares so much about his various struggles with the Corinthians? How does this help them accept his apostleship as authentic? Have you ever complained about what you’ve had to put up with in your ministry? How does it compare to what Paul faced?

Empathy is important is connecting with people. What is our common connection, this Paul shared openly. They know from the past he was sincerely for them and was selfless about his own needs. It is a mistake to compare unless we simply want to see htat he went through so much more than we ever will. And what about Christ in His ministry. He has paid it all for all of us. He has overcome it all.

Our job is to rejoice and do the next right thing.

• 8 months later...

Paul shares his tribulations with the Corinth ians because in his sharing he hopes to establish his apostles ship with the people for he has no writing recommend ation. His recommendation is his record of suffering and his record of preaching with the Corinth ians.

With such a record the spirit must necessarily with paul.

No, nothing compares with Paul.

• 8 months later...

Paul shares so much about his struggles as an apostle to prove to the Corinthians that he has suffered and undergone much to preach and spread the word of the gospel. he is no impostor, his mission is to spread the truth he has been commissioned to give, Jews and gentiles alike.

To the Corinthians Paul's trails and tribulations as an apostle is proof enough that he is an authentic disciple of Christ, regardless of those who are trying to discredit his authenticity. He is the founder of the church in Corinth and they should should honor him as such.        

• 8 years later...

I've read these "suffering" passages many, many times and have wondered how the early church reacted to Paul's litany of sufferings. Would this be an "encouragement" to them, as many here have said? I doubt it. Put yourself in their shoes. Perhaps they were already suffering like Paul so this would be a familiar tale, but more than likely, they were new Christians who, as they were learning about God, were keeping their heads low. They didn't want to suffering like this. This could have terrified them. 

I think, but am not sure, that these passages were not meant for the new believers in the early church as much as for the fake Christian leaders who were mocking and persecuting Paul. Paul could have been letting them know what really happens to church leaders, that it's not all pomp and admiration, but suffering ... unto death. 

--

No one at that time had any idea what an "authentic" apostle looked like. It was all new. So different. They were probably expecting the normal trappings that go with political power -- Paul quickly disabused them of this notion with this description of suffering. Leaders, he was saying, would suffer more than the average Joe in the pews. This is how authenticity would be validated. 

How different this is today! Our leaders seem not to suffer, though some do, I'm sure. But some have lovely sinecures and manses, public acclaim, etc. Most church leaders lives quiet lives that are rather obscure; they are not suffering for their faith. 

--

I've complained and whined and asked God to die as I suffered, which though is NOT ministry-related, was unjust and unexpected. I'm far from the woman God wants me to be.