JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit-Led Living

In these verses, Paul encourages the Galatians to follow the Spirit’s leading and reject the temptation of giving in to fleshly desires. As we submit to the Spirit, fleshly desires are drained of their power over us. Each time we resist, resistance becomes easier and the old nature has a less powerful influence over us. Spirit-led living is a life-long process and we still make choices. We will not choose perfectly until we are fully controlled by the Holy Spirit living in us. In addition, while we are in this world, satan is still at work to draw us away from Spirit-led living and he knows our weakness.

• 5 months later...

a)The flesh desires us to act in self-interest, the Spirit in us now free’s us from this trap of sin’s pull to flesh desires. It is impossible to lead a sinless life. The Holy Spirit works in our bodies,restrains us, gives us the ability to make right choices when tempted, & avoid committing sins we would otherwise commit.Those who are led by the Spirit are sons of God.

b)If we feed our minds, heart and Spirit from the Word, and yield to the Holy Spirit in us,our faith and consciences are strengthened and gives us the power to overcome the pull of devil into dark choices,&weaken’s power of satan.

c)The power of satan is very strong, and the only person who has never sinned is Jesus, we are all sinners only saved by the cross, not by us. If people use will power alone to oppose satan, and not yielding to Spirit’s control, they are still warring with flesh, not allowing Spirit to battle for them. Sin is always crouching at the door, need to be prepared and arm ourselves and be led by the sword of the Spirit.

• 7 months later...

These verses teach us that when we are led by the spirit we can live a sinless life.  The Holy Spirit frees us from sinful nature and restrains us from doing activities which gratifies our flesh or leads us into sin.  For this we have to live a life which is rooted in the word of God and we have to be connected to God at all times in prayer.  Our walk with the Holy Spirit has to be a continuous one to live a sinless life.

Both the flesh and the Spirit have desires which drive and motivate them. The flesh desires us to act like a god to ourselves; the Spirit points us to serve the true God in love and faithfulness. 

Such people who claim that it is impossible not to sin have not given up wholly the desires of their flesh.  They are disobedient to God and fail to listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  The flesh is weak and always in a battle with the spirit.  The moment we go away from god’s word and a prayerful life then the flesh wins over the spirit and causes us to sin.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?     

The sinful nature is at war or in conflict with the Holy Spirit in our lives.  It is the sinful nature of man and his spiritual state that cannot please God.  However, through the Holy Spirit we can please God and overcome the desires of the flesh.  

By yielding to the Holy Spirit I'm walking away from the temptation or negating the sinful desire (whatever it might be).  I'm yielding my will to the Spirit and not exercising my will.

It is impossible not to sin because we don't always yield to the Holy Spirit in any given situation.  Unfortunately that is reality.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

The sinful nature is at war or in conflict with the Holy Spirit in our lives.  It is the sinful nature of man and his spiritual state that cannot please God.  However, through the Holy Spirit we can please God and overcome the desires of the flesh.  

By yielding to the Holy Spirit I'm walking away from the temptation or negating the sinful desire (whatever it might be).  I'm yielding my will to the Spirit and not exercising my will.

It is impossible not to sin because we don't always yield to the Holy Spirit in any given situation.  Unfortunately that is reality.

We are told that its impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. Bit Vs16-18 teach  us that we must live by the Spirit of God and then it is possible for us not to gratify the desires of the flesh. We have to be led by the Spirit not to sin.

While we yield to the spirit of God we have the power of the Holy spirit to suppress our old nature. Only when we totally follow the leading of the spirit however difficult it may seem we are able to walk in freedom from sin and not do the things of our old sinful nature.

People who claim that its impossible not to sin are surely not the ones who have crucified their flesh and Christ does not live in the them. there is no Christ formed in the person at all. The one who is Spirit led only can overcome sin.

• 1 year later...

There is always an internal struggle between the Holy Spirit and human nature of the flesh. It tells us that if we continue to fight and allow the Holy Spirit to win, we will eventually be able to win the struggle and our human urges will decrease. And it will become easier to allow us to live in the glory of God here on earth. We, as humans, have a sinful nature. We are not perfect. And no matter how hard we might try, we will occasionally fail to withstand the temptation. Our weakness of the flesh will cause the sin.

• 8 months later...

these verses in Galatians 5:16-18 teaches us that if we live by the spirit we will not gratify the flesh. For the sinful flesh and spirit are contrary to one another and if we are led by the spirit we are no longer under the Mosaic law.

Living by the spirit suppresses the power of the nature, because living by the spirit empowers us to be led by the spirit to over come the desires of the flesh.

Some people believe that living by the spirit, it would be impossible to sin. This is false. Some believe that if they sin, giving into the flesh, they are not sinning because we are no longer under the law. However, if we sin willfully we have gratified our flesh and not the spirit, w have sinned.       

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it's impossible not to sin?

It is not impossible to live a sinless life if one yields to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit releases us from bondage AND restrains the flesh. However, too many times people trust to will power to restrain the flesh and not the Spirit. Too many times temptations arise and the Spirit is forgotten. Man relies on himself and is not truly surrendering to the Holy Spirit. Man needs to quit trying to beat sin through his own efforts and surrender to the Holy Spirit. This is the only way he can live sinless. 

• 2 months later...

LIVING A SINLESS LIFE: it is possible to live a sinless life when you consider if it is the practice (contiunal, habitual, pattern of life) to sin; the drive and motivation is obeying and pleasing God; it is the commitment to be servants and not selfishness; the basic character is of repentance; not participating in the sin even when faced with it (temptation) it is choosing and relying on the power of the Holy Spirit (divine grace)

YIELDING TO THE SPIRIT SUPPRESSING THE FLESH: it is subscribing to a higher standard of conduct with having righteous behaviors and attitudes; to walk with the Spirit as a way of life; recognize the manifestations of the flesh and gives us restraint to yield to the Spirit instead of doing what the flesh wants

IMPOSSIBLE OR POSSIBLE TO SIN BEING SPIRIT-LED: when we look at our freedoms as not from a base from which we can freely sin (without consequences) but instead of behaving as a redeemed person; even though there is the  temptation, the Spirit offers the strength to resist

• 4 years later...

We can live a victorious life over sin by being subjected to a Divine Person, the Holy Spirit.   The attempted law obedience In their own strength wouldn't help them.  The Holy Spirit anointing or the impulses of the Holy Spirit will assist us to live for Christ Jesus.  The evil nature's power over us is broken, and the believer need not to obey it.

The Galatians needed to return to the Gospel of Grace of God and permit the Holy Spirit to work in their lives.  This struggling to be Holy would come to an end.  No need for myriads of rules and self effort.   The precious HOLY SPIRIT, THIRD PERSON OF THE HOLY TRINITY, present here on earth, would energize them.  What an amazing remedy!  The flesh with its affections and **** would fall away.--crucified with Christ and they could live the Spirit filled life.

Being diligent Bible students, we have the mind of Christ.   We have the sure Word of God.  We have a more SURE WORD OF PROPHECY (2 Peter 1:19).  We don't follow the the oracles of heathen priests who faked spurious messages from idol God's.  We stand on the promises of God.   Yahweh has given us sure promises that we can indeed persevere in holiness all day long.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but no set of verses can be isolated from the rest of biblical teaching -- clearly, we can not and do not live sinless lives. No one has lived a sinless life except Christ, (not even Pastor Ralph, though he's probably quite a bit closer to sinlessness than I am!)

Sanctification is a process. It's a long, windy, rock-strewn path that leads to sinlessness. We're all somewhere on that path, hopefully travelling forward as we incrementally yield to the Spirit ... step by step. I can look back on my Christian "journey" and see some progress, which is comforting, but I know I'll continue to sin in the future. 

Spirit-led living is possible, but not actualizable all the time and in all circumstances. Again, as we aim to more closely approximate a life that is entirely Spirit led as we grow in the Spirit, the battle between the flesh and the Spirit doesn't cease, not even when I'm feeling particularly close to God. It's there. Always. It's that subliminal battle between me, God and Satan -- three powers battling for control. My inner conflict, then, never ceases. What does change is the battlefield.  I've also become aware that victories have been won, that I've taken some of the enemy's territory by yielding to the Spirit.