JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Warning about Carnal Living

Q4. (5:21) Why do some Christians resist accepting Paul's warning in 5:21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

The only logical reason I can think of base on what I have learnt from this study, is because they are operating in self or flesh mode. Had they been yielding to the Spirit, they would have been guided in all truth and thereby suppress the power of the old nature.

What statement might these Christians desire to substitute for Paul’s warning if they could reword the Scripture?

Jesus' righteous life and death cancels all sins, just believe and you are eternally saved.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Christians take God’s grace for granted and believe that God will forgive whatever they do. They believe they cannot lose their reward because of their actions once they have been saved. Paul’s letter to the Galatians reminds us that our good works cannot save us but our sinful works can condemn us. If they could change one word in Paul’s warning, they would feel better about it, but it wouldn’t change the truth of what Paul says.

"...those who live like this will STILL inherit the Kingdom of God."

• 5 months later...

4a)They resist Paul's warning,believing Jesus accepted them and their safe, deceived by self into thinking, they can gain salvation,without yielding to the Holy Spirit’s leading, to live as Jesus asks of us.

B)They would re-word scripture to say, by grace we are saved, and by grace alone we will enter heaven, omitting obedience to the Word.

• 7 months later...

Some Christians resist accepting Paul’s statement because it is a difficult thing to do -  to crucify the flesh and not gratify it.  They will think such a life will be boring and without any fun to live. 

They may reword Paul's statement saying, good works will wash all your sins and will take you to heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (5:21) Why do some Christians resist accepting Paul’s warning in 5:21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11? What statement might these Christians desire to substitute for Paul’s warning if they could reword the Scripture?

They are not Spirit-led and do not take the Scripture seriously.  On a sadder note, they do not really desire to please God by living holy lives.  God did say "Be Holy because I am Holy."  Many Christians live carnal lives because their desires for self gratification are more important than honoring and having a vigorous relationship with God. 

Carnal Christians  would probably restate Paul's words in the following manner:  All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  So I'm not perfect, but I believe in Jesus.  He will forgive me.  So long as your heart is in the right place you will enter the Kingdom of God.

What self delusion.

Q4. (5:21) Why do some Christians resist accepting Paul’s warning in 5:21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11? What statement might these Christians desire to substitute for Paul’s warning if they could reword the Scripture?

They are not Spirit-led and do not take the Scripture seriously.  On a sadder note, they do not really desire to please God by living holy lives.  God did say "Be Holy because I am Holy."  Many Christians live carnal lives because their desires for self gratification are more important than honoring and having a vigorous relationship with God. 

Carnal Christians  would probably restate Paul's words in the following manner:  All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  So I'm not perfect, but I believe in Jesus.  He will forgive me.  So long as your heart is in the right place you will enter the Kingdom of God.

What self delusion.

Some Christians resist Paul's warnings because they have actually not surrendered their lives totally to Christ. Only a person who is deeply rooted in Christ and wants to live for Christ will not gratify the desires of flesh or not sin.

If the Scriptures had to be reworded accordingly it could be something like this....

God is love,He loves us no matter what.we are but weak!

• 1 year later...

some Christians feel that once they become Christians, they can do anything they want. They feel that God already knew they were going to do that so they are already forgiven for it.

Once your sins are forgiven, live like you want because God will let you into heaven.

• 8 months later...

Some Christians resist accepting Paul's warning in 5:21 and 1 Corinthians 6:11 because though they have accepted Christ as their savior, they have not the power of the Holy Spirit to over come their sins or these sins are so habitual they never seem to realize the consequences of these faults. They keep these sins and do not let Christ fully convict them of these problems in their lives. Worst of all they have not totally accepted all that Christ has done for them.

The statement that the Christians might substitute for Paul's warning might possibly be that Christ died for them and even though they live like sinners they will still inherit the Kingdom of God.  

• 1 year later...

RESIST ACCEPTING PAUL'S WARNING: they have no real commitment with Christ; allows depravity (not facing the ugly reality of the flesh) to have reign; they have sinful inclinations and do not want to be judged by God and man; practice of not walking with the Spirit would be evident - no demonstration of faith and allegiance to Jesus (incompatible)

REWORD THE SCRIPTURE: the unrighteous could inherit the kingdom of God

• 5 years later...

These people that uphold  contrary doctrines have basically accepted an inaccurate teaching commonly taught in seminaries, called "fundamental option".

Their reasoning is if a person is basically a good Christian he or she can partake in  immoral behaviour and other sinfull activities.   The Prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel predicted that these false prophets would be deluded by their own specious reasoning.   We witness this tragedy over and over again amongst clergy from a host of denominations.   Highly educated indeed, but tragically deficient in dividing the Holy Scriptures.

They would state that the works of the flesh are just fine, just as long as you 'don't hurt anyone' and maintain some semblance of Christian practice.  These same people would relegate 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 as an antiquarian teaching.   The philosophy of relativism influences their thinking.   Even amongst some Christian theologians...homosexuality has been deemed licit; through spurious scholarship, these verses has been twisted.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a harshness to Paul's statement, perhaps a bit of hyperbole: Paul knows that Christians sin -- Paul knows that he himself sins! -- so he must be talking about a particularly unrepentant attitude and behaviour that resists salvation. This is the secularist attitude that surrounds us. A Christian struggling with a persistent, yet-to-be conquered sin, is within the Kingdom and being sanctified and should not be categorized with secularists.

It's not as if one sin is worse than another, though I do think that sins that hurt or involve other people are particularly egregious. The list he gave are the sort of sins that have to be committed over and over until our conscience is deadened. Persistent sins. But ... we as Christians have persistent sins, too!  There are acts or thoughts we have a tendency to do repeatedly, our particular weaknesses.

Jesus came to die for our sins. Period. Once a Christian, always a Christian. I do not believe a Christian can lose his or her salvation. NOTHING -- not even our worst, most disgusting, sinful behaviours and thoughts -- separates us from the love of Christ. I cling to this truth as the process of His sanctification of my heart and mind grinds on.