JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Patience as Forbearance

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

The fruit of patience should be understood as forbearance, that is, putting up with people around us without exploding. Why is this patient forbearance such an important personal character element? Why is it so important for peace in the family and in the Christian community?

Because God uses self-restraint and tolerance with us, so should we use the same characteristic expression of our God.. We are all one big family of God and it is His house we all live in.

• 1 month later...

Patient forbearance is essential personally and collectively in order to reflect the “peace that passes all understanding” (Phil 4:7) and to live in peace “as far as it depends on you.” (Rom 12:18) It demonstrates that you trust God’s plan and purpose for your life and that He will “work all things for the good of those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose." (Rom 8:28)

• 5 months later...

2a)In our work, churches we mix with wide variety of people, different agenda’s. With each, we should be Christ in our thoughts and actions, knowing God has the plan, not in our hands.

b)Christians can distress each other in churches,though we’re asked to maintain peace in our churches, need to be Spirit led in our actions, allow this fruit of patience, to come even when we are distressed by others,replace anxiety with trust in God, allowing Him to bring healing, mending needed to work out his purposes.This fruit develops with maturity of faith, age and walking with the Spirit.

• 7 months later...

Patient Forbearance is an important personal character element because we live in a world with different kinds of people in it.  Not everyone thinks and acts in a godly manner or like how we want them to be.  So it is important that we learn to bear with each other.  Only when we are patient with different people will we be able to give them Christ. 

If there is no peace in our families and Christian community we will not be able to pray and enjoy spirit filled fellowship.  We will be constantly under stress and anger which will give way for the enemy to get into our relationships.    Peace in the family and church will lead to unity and growth.  More people will be drawn towards Christ by seeing the peace of Christ in us.

• 2 weeks later...

Patient forbearance is important personal character element because it helps us to endure and tolerate any person . We need to have it to reflect the nature of Christ in us.

It is important for peace in the family and Christian community because we can easily get along with everyone and keep and pursue peace at all times.

Q2. (Galatians 5:22) The fruit of patience should be understood as forbearance, that is, putting up with people around us without exploding. Why is this patient forbearance such an important personal character element? Why is it so important for peace in the family and in the Christian community?

Patience prevents undue anxiety, anger, rudeness, and ungodly behavior.  One of the elements of love is patience.  When love dominates my life I strive to be patient with others. 

Patience creates a peaceful spirit within my home and church when exercised.  Where there is no patience there is anxiety, anger, rudeness, bitterness, and an ungodly environment.  Patience creates unity in a family as well as in a congregation.

Patience serves as an excellent witness for Jesus Christ.  It glorifies God.

Q2. (Galatians 5:22) The fruit of patience should be understood as forbearance, that is, putting up with people around us without exploding. Why is this patient forbearance such an important personal character element? Why is it so important for peace in the family and in the Christian community?

Patience prevents undue anxiety, anger, rudeness, and ungodly behavior.  One of the elements of love is patience.  When love dominates my life I strive to be patient with others. 

Patience creates a peaceful spirit within my home and church when exercised.  Where there is no patience there is anxiety, anger, rudeness, bitterness, and an ungodly environment.  Patience creates unity in a family as well as in a congregation.

Patience serves as an excellent witness for Jesus Christ.  It glorifies God.

• 1 year later...

Nobody is perfect. And little flaws in a person's character can drive people nuts. However, with patience, it will be easy for a person to look the other way.

Patience will allow a person to handle little spats without it turning to an argument. They are able to listen to everything a person has to say. It does cut down on a lot of fights within a family.

• 8 months later...

The fruit of patience is important in our Christian character because it teaches us to endure persecution and allows us to love one another with the love that Christ has for us. With out patience we would not grow in our church and forgive others of their faults and patience allows others to forgive us.

Patience in the Christian family is important because as a family we should bear up and endure with situations that arise in our family. Showing love towards one another shows we love our family in spite of all the faults. The same thing applies in our Christian community which is also part of our family. With patience towards one another we allow the Lord to work in our lives.    

• 1 year later...

PATIENCE IMPORTANT CHARACTER ELEMENT: the opportunity to witness to others by the Holy Spirit's work in us for endurance; we persevere even in the face of persecution knowing that God is long-suffering toward sinners; we see how Christ reacted with compassion and boldness for the long haul; forbearance works in our favor when things (events) do not work out; this steadfastness is the foundation of working for Christ when we work with unpleasant people; it is the Spirit of God helping us so that we don't explode or seek retaliation in trials with others; we yield to being wrongfully treated knowing at the end we will have peace and be with God in the future; it sees beyond the limitations of this life by never giving in to the enemy (Satan) but holding on to God's hand

PEACE IN FAMILY AND CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY: it is important that Christians learn to live together and worship together; it can be a witness of the church as seeing believers operate to being in harmony to every situation, this includes wholeness and well-being for a right relationship with God and man; it is the binding and joining together as a family unit to provide a stable environment for growth; in the Christian community there is peace to every one (working together to form the body of Christ) being the goal for being united; we seek to have the peace of God and the peace of assurance to counter disturbing acts of conflict; peace deals with personal relationships; to have peace in the family and the church, being on one accord, unites us together to help and encourage each other to see God in situations; it does not focus on what I can do to climb the ladder of success but that we all can see value in each other; it speaks of peace with God that transcends understanding with prosperity being deep within; it is the quietness of God's peace

• 4 years later...

St Paul learned greatly about long-suffering during his ministry.   He had to be patient during very difficult times.   This way he kept his poise of mind, and didn't allow bitterness to corrode his mind and heart.   To be anointed by the Holy Spirit, a quiet heart is essential for the spiritual life.  Paul knew that abiding in peace was the oil to the machinery.   Forbearance, patience and gentleness are essential in the Christain ministry and formation of genuine Christian character.

Paul had to deal with head stronged people who were caught up in rather serious doctrinal errors.   He knew that he could get more flies with honey than with vinegar.   By being patient, kind and having  forbearance; he was able to convince these erring Galatians that his Gospel was the true Gospel.  Yet he too had his limits; Paul was quite upset with the Judaizers.  He couldn't waste time trying to convince the Judaizers who were persisting in their errors.

• 4 weeks later...

Because of circumstances, I've had to develop the character traits of forbearance and patience -- against my will. I'm not sure why God has focused on this particular trait to the exclusion of others, though perhaps it's kept my head above the water these past few years. Without this trait, the circumstances I am in would be unbearable.

Forbearance may be relational, but it's primary impact is on oneself. It's a form of self-control or should I say the control by the Holy Spirit.