JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

So many churches are in a hotbed apathy because of various reasons. Immorality that is bred by sexual immorality and/or greed among church leadership. This is devastating to the church because lay people look up to those in leadership roles within the church and if impurities is present if will definitely affect attendance. Another problem is those within the church that don't have anything positive to say about the church. Everything that comes out of their mouth is negative. This causes discord among members and many members don't want to attend services. We can combat this by being dedicated in attending and participating in worship and ministry. We must make ourselves available for Christ by keeping our mind on Him only. When our little light shines, those within the church and those we witness to will see it and all praises will go to Christ!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many churches are spiritually dead! The eople do not have the time to do anything with or for the church. We must find what the people need and provide it, and, make it exciting by doing it. Once people get involved it is easier and they feel the Spirit more. But, it all needs to be ground in the Scriptures.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. Why are so many churches a "hotbed of apathy"? How can we combat spiritual apathy and an insipid witness in ourselves?

Many churches are apathic because they are inward focused and selfish.  They have lost sight of the "Great Commision" and are concerned only with a watered down gospel of self-indulgence.  They believe saying the "sinners prayer" is all there is to it.  Once saved always saved whether I act and operate as a follower of Christ or not.  Many churches today are filled with church attenders not born-again, spirit-filled believers.  That makes for a "hotbed of apathy."  One cann't give what they don't have.  Or follow what they don't know or care to know.

We can combat spritual apathy with a spiritual rebirth and vigorouly following Jesus Christ and responding to the pressure of the Holy Spirit in our life.  Daily rejoicing, prayer, Bible study, and thanksgiving gets one over spiritual apathy.  When this happens our witness is enthusiastic and dynamic.  When we allow Jesus Christ to work in our lives and He takes us places we have never been, a person cannot stop talking about Jesus.  Apathy goes out the window.  It's all about a love relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Q4. Why are so many churches a "hotbed of apathy"? How can we combat spiritual apathy and an insipid witness in ourselves?

I think traditions are fine and some are highly desirable. Seems like most churches think they have to do things the "new fangled way". You know, old fashioned religion was good enough for generations and it's good enough for me, too. I really DO NOT like how so many churches have gone to the overhead for music ALL THE TIME. Our gospels and hymns have a magnificent history and are worthy ways to praise GOD and glorify GOD. There is certainly nothing wrong with using overhead but it doesn't have to be the ONLY thing people do to keep themselves full of Joy and Glory. Being supportive of what exists and being supportive of new changes is essential in a healthy, growing church. I have searched (still am) for a church that uses the old hymns or gospels in their services. They don't seem to be existent they all think they need to change and go with this new form of music which really turns me off sometimes. You see, I have a log in my own eye about this. I need to remove my log........However, I also think there are people out there like me who would like to see some of the traditions stay alive and well. This is motivation for them and thus allows them to be more of a Joyful witness full of beauty and faith.....bubbling over with the GOODNESS of God's LOVE

• 1 year later...

Many churches have become a Sunday club house where people come, sing a few songs, say a few prayers and go out and live their lives as they want. God is only an hour thought in their lives. We are becoming a group that just walks and talks and does not really have anywhere to go or anything important to say.

We need to start walking the walk like Christ did, we need to really start believing in the talk that we are giving, We need to shine like true Christians. We need to be an example all the time of what love and justice really are. We need to break out of our shells and go forth and be like Christ in all things.

• 1 year later...

The churches are trying to get as many people in their churches that they are willing to compromise on the spiritual things. We can continue to be bold for our churches. We can be in the right attitude when we are with others. We can brag about our churches rather than tear them down.

• 4 years later...
On 7/28/2003 at 12:40 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Why are so many churches a "hotbed of apathy"?

So many churches are a "hotbed of apathy" because from its leadership it has entered into a state of traditional service and refuses to make a change.

How can we combat spiritual apathy and an insipid witness in ourselves?

We can combat spiritual apathy and an insipid witness in ourselves by returning to our first love, by fervently communing with God, hearing His voice and obeying what He tells us to do.