JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Rebellion is doing what you think is right instead of what God tells you to do. Its not fully submitting to God and His Word because you think you know better than Him.Rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft or occult practices because as with these two sins rebellion is seeking someone else' counsel in this case you, instead of relying on Gods in other words someone else is exalted in place of God. Rebellion has to do with arrogance because arrogance comes when you feel you know and are better the everybody else and so when you adopt the same thinking when it comes to God you end up rebelling against Him because then you feel you know better than Him.

When we find rebellion in our hearts we should repent and humble ourselves before God and we do this by submitting to him and his authority and acknowledging that He is God and He is in control. If we do nothing then we will end up self-destructing and worse, missing out on Gods plan for our lives.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.  Rebellion - Doing the opposite of what is required based on the thought that your way is better than the way you were told to do it.

2. Rebellion is as bad as witch craft or occult practices because doing anything that doesn't put Gods instructions first is the same as not even having God in your life.

3. Rebellion causes arrogance when anyone thinks their way is better especially if they are able to convince other people to agree, even though it leads them astray from Gods instructions.

4 / 5

When we find ourselves being rebellious we should pray and as for forgivenss, and set it straight with anyone we have influenced to do it our way.

If we don't do anything the consequensis could be terrible causing loss of favor in Gods eyes, or even worse causing someone else to fall short of the Glory

• 2 months later...

I beiieve rebellion is knowingly behaving in a way that is contrary to God's commands.  It's arrogant to think that our way is better than our Sovereign God.  As we stay rooted in God's word and surrendered to His authority, we will recognize our rebellion/sin and confess it to Him honestly, then experiencing His forgiveness.  If we fail to do so, we eventually suffer the consequences of our disobedience.

• 1 month later...

Rebellion is a form of arrogance in that you are basically saying God I have enough power and wisdom to handle my situation. I know what's best for me. The truth of the matter is that we don't know what's best. We lack the ability to see into the future. We also lack the ability to release the chain reactions that occur at each decision we make. God knows. 

Rebellion is a form of arrogance in that you are basically saying God I have enough power and wisdom to handle my situation. I know what's best for me. The truth of the matter is that we don't know what's best. We lack the ability to see into the future. We also lack the ability to release the chain reactions that occur at each decision we make. God knows. 

If you sense a rebellious spirit arising in you, it is important to repent immediately and ask the Lord for direction. Ask God to reveal any area of your life where rebellion exists. Ask for prayer partners to intercede on your behalf. God can change you and your entire situation with prayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Rebellion is an ACTIVE and CONSCIOUS choice to disregard/ go against certain laws and established rules. My take on witchcraft is that it "takes matters into your own hands". From what I generally see, it's never used in any good way but rather to change the course of things to suit one's twisted desires. Rebellion like witchcraft is actually turning away from God and deciding that you and do things your own way. In witchcraft, you are acting as though you are God, making things manifest in your own way. Rebellion is also saying you know better so you can do things your way irrespective of the law.

Arrogance is having too great a sense of one's own abilities or importance (Oxford dictionary) and you wouldn't rebel if you didn't think that you know better, if you didn't think that your way of doing things is much better, that your way of doing things is the right way. So embedded in rebellion is arrogance. The two go hand in hand.

The best thing to do is to go down on your knees, acknowledge what you have done, confess your sin and ask for forgiveness. But the important thing there is (1) Truly mean it and (2) Actually change your ways. For that is the true essence of asking for forgiveness, turning away/cutting ties with what you have done.

If we do nothing, that sin follows us. We will be held accountable for it and pay the price. I think that the worst price of not doing anything about it is not spending time with Our Father in heaven,

What a powerful lesson learnt.

• 1 month later...

Rebellion is doing what we want to do verses doing what God told us to do. Rebellion is similar to witchcraft and occult practices because it displays opposition to the will of God. God gave instruction to do something that He wants done, and if anything is done other than that, it would be going against His will.

Rebellion and arrogance goes hand in hand.  When rebellion is occurs it is done because one chooses to go against instruction. This displays arrogance in a person’s character because at that moment, that person believes that what they believe is more important than what they were told. And in that same thought they become their own god so to say, believing that they think is right.

When rebellion is found in our hearts, it is important that we immediately repent and do what God has instructed us to do. And if we decide to do nothing, we are still acting in rebellion.

• 4 months later...

1. Rebellion means to refuse to come under authority of someone (God) above him.

2. Witchcraft is a desire to be a free spiritual agent without submission to God or regard for His Word. Witchcraft starts with a rebellious heart.

3.A sense of pride believing there way is better.

4.Repent and ask God to change your heart.

• 1 month later...

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft because it is our way of turning away from God and in the case of rebellion we are placing ourselves above God rather than an idol or false god. When we do this we get confused thinking on one hand we’re not turning away from God because we love him but in reality we are because we are not putting him first we’re putting ourselves first.

In order to develop a rebellious heart one will place themselves in a godly position which has everything to do with arrogance.

When we find rebellion against God in our hearts we must first stop and recognize this within ourselves and realize the consequences of this rebellious heart. We have to pray against this and ask God to take control of our hearts and minds so that we can then focus on him and him only.  

If we do nothing we’re turning away from God and facing a spiritual death. We have to understand what rebellion truly means in order to recognize it within ourselves and change.

• 2 weeks later...

What is Rebellion?

a. Rebellion is Not doing what God has asked us to do, to the letter. Thinking we can do it better ourselfs on our own understanding.

Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft & stubborness, it is iniquity & idolatry. A rejection of Gods word is a rejection of him.

Rebellion & Arrogance go hand in hand along with stubborness, we think we know better than God.

As we Love our father, we should want to please him, to delight him in our obedience, we can hide nothing from him, he looks into our hearts & minds.

God our Father gives & takes away, we would not want to disqualify ourselfs from Gods good blessings that he has for us.

If we do nothing, we could become hard-hearted, backslide or even fall away altogether.

Jesus died for all our sins including the sin of rebellion, so it is not a lot to ask that we be obediante in what God wants us to do.

• 1 year later...

Rebellion is doing as I choose, not as God directs or guides me to do.

Rebellion is as witchcraft as you make something else God and focus on it and not the Living God.  It takes precedence.

Rebellion and arrogance go hand in hand.  Arrogance carries with an attitude or I know best, I am best, no one or thing has greater thoughts, plans or ideas than me.  It goes hand in hand with pride...and certainly then destruction.  I have seen this in my own life to many times.

When we get to this point, the only thing we can do is repent.  Ask for God's mercy on us and return to God's way....not our way.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Rebellion is the doing what we want to do rather than what God wants us to do.

The god of self has taken the place of God in the heart of the person.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

We can ask God for forgiveness and pray that we will have a God for most in our lives and in our hearts. If we do nothing we are filled with sin of self.

• 1 month later...

What is rebellion?

The deliberate turning away from authority or power. A decision to do things your own way.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices?

Witchcraft/occult practices work on the basis that there is a power you deem higher than God’s. So you call/draw upon that supposed power, in an attempt to usurp the One True Power.  (This cannot be achieved however, EVER!).

Rebellion is therefore similar in that you believe you have a way of doing things yourself, which is better than God’s way - not true, EVER!

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance?

Arrogance is defined as the ‘offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride’.  Pride is disgusting to God, that is why Lucifer was kicked out of heaven.  To be arrogant is to turn away (so rebel) from God’s intention for mankind.  

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts?

Repent. Repent is to turn from sin, not just say sorry. So we must confess, apologise and turn from it. Do better. We must ultimately humble ourselves to God’s sovereign power..

What happens if we do nothing?

God will turn from us, like he did Saul. There is nothing worse than to have God turn his hand away or against you. It must be terrible to be on that side of God’s judgement, where there is no return. You will simply die - Your life is over.

• 2 years later...

What is rebellion? This is going against authority. God is our Ruler/King He is in charge, has given a command, therefore it should be carried out just has he said. Not doing what we think is the way, we therefore disobey God's instructions.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices?  You think you have power and authority to control things and people, you believe you are a god. This is sin

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? one feel that they are superior, self worth and self importance. we depend on our self instead of God, its all about self and no one else matter.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts?  We are to repent and seek forgiveness. God will hear you has you earnestly seek Him through prayer and fasting.

What happens if we do nothing? Our hearts will be harden and evil will take us over and finally drift away from God. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2012 at 12:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

On 7/26/2012 at 12:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Rebellion is when we do what we want to do instead of doing what we know God wants us to do.  Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft because rebellion is the root of witchcraft.  Witchcraft is manipulating people or events in order for our agenda to be fulfilled. It's the same way with rebellion in general.  Rebellion and arrogance go hand in hand because when there is rebellion, it is us wanting to fulfill our own will, our own desires; and arrogance is being all about ones self, and not about the good of others.  We need to search our hearts and pray that God will search our hearts daily for any rebellion; and if any is found, we should repent of it,  (turn away from it), and move forward.  If we don't repent from our arrogance and rebellion, there will be consequences just like there is consequences for any sin.  We need to do what David did and pray..... Create in me a clean heart oh God!!!

• 4 months later...

Scripture connects the sin of divination with rebellion, and the sin of idolatry with arrogance.

Divination with Rebellion: Did God tell us to use divination for answers?  Did we through the idea of divination away since it did not come from God?  To follow our own thoughts and ideas is rebellion.  Just as the Northern tribes using their own thoughts separated themselves from David' United Kingdom to worship golden calves.

Idolatry with Arrogance: What exactly is arrogance?  When a person has no room in their heart to ponder the thoughts or feelings of another, and only concerned with their own thoughts and feelings, they are arrogant.  Every person has passions, interest and appetites.  However when we spend too much time with those and do not make time ponder Gods word, thoughts and feelings we become an idolater, worshiping the things with our time, thoughts and energy.  When we have no room or time for God we are considered to arrogant.

• 3 weeks later...

Rebellion to me is when you are given a clear directive and you purposely go against it because it does not line up with what you desire to do and\or your thoughts and beliefs on a subject. 

When I think of the "witchcraft" practice, I think rebellion is compared to that because when you seek out a medium, tarot, witchcraft, etc. you are looking for answers from a source that is not God. And since we are blessed to know of Gods existence and have been given Jesus and the Holy spirit as a way to speak directly to God, then when we go to this alternate source for an answer, we are consciously rebelling because we are very much aware we need to go to God for our answers.

You are purposely choosing  what you desire over a directive.

Take the time to reflect and be fully aware of it...repent, and ask God for help to obey him. Especially if you are aware and don't feel the "need" to change your course of action to align with Gods will.

We are walking a dead mans path.

• 1 month later...

Rebellion is actually the attempt to sit the seat of self alone and telling God that "you" are in charge. It is fueled by selfishness and executed with knowledge and aforethought.
To me that is like diametric opposition to obedience. Like witchcraft.

Arrogance is the switch that turns bad thinking into bad action.

I catch myself so often thinking that my flesh alone can solve a problem. "for the thing which I would not do, that I do..becomes my dilemma and I realize I am in that rebellious space. 

I have gone to God many times to tell Him my shame and ask for wisdom and humility.

• 2 weeks later...

What is rebellion?: refusing to do what should be done and going off to do my own thing. In this case, rebellion is refusing to do the will of God (especially as revealed in scripture) and doing our own bidding inspite of knowing what God wants me to do. this is especially so when what God wants me to do is difficult or unpleasant to my mortal understanding

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices?: Witchcraft is abandoning God and seeking help from evil forces. God is at hand for any help we might need, but we prefer to look for that help from witches, etc.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance?: We think we are perfectly capable of finding solutions in our lives, and so deliberately ignore God. The arrogance is heightened when we are christians who have tasted the Living God but knowingly go in another direction when God speaks to us through His Word.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?: And this happens to me daily!! Mercifully, the Holy Spirit convicts us about this rebellion and prompts us to go back to God with humility, confess our sin, and seek forgiveness. If we do it, then God has promised to forgive us through Jesus Christ

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2012 at 5:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Rebellion is opposition to authority.  Doing things in our own way not God's way.

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft because it is willfully choosing to be led by another spirit. Operating outside the will of God.

Arrogance and stubborness go hand in hand. We think we can do things our way and think we know better than God. It is better to do things God's way.

When we find rebellion in our heart we should humbly repent before God asking Him to remove the rebellious spirit. If we do nothing God will bring us to a place where we must do something. 

• 6 months later...

1.Rebellion is going against what you are supposed to do / against what the word of God says.

2. I would say rebellion is as bad as witchcraft in the sense that ,witchcraft is going against God's command of not fully trusting I Him .

3.Rebellion has to do with arrogance ,in that while knowing what is right  , you decide to do otherwise

4.when we find rebellion in our hearts , we need to repent and ask for forgiveness  from God and also ask Holy Spirit to guide us to the truth.

5. If we do nothing about our rebellion,  we detach ourselves  from the love of God and we make ourselves vulnerable  to be used by the enemy. 

• 2 months later...

I have made myself God and done things my way. I have spit in the face of God with my careless nature concerning what He's said. I have been out right disgraceful. I definitely am amazed that God would still forgive me, love me and want to use me for His purposes. 

If nothing is done about rebellion it can form a calloused heart, causing you to devalue the need of repentance 

• 6 months later...
On 7/26/2012 at 9:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Rebellion is doing something against the command, doing things in your own way, even if you have been told to follow certain things in certain way.

2. When you feel your self decision is important than God's command then you indirectly lead to witchcraft or occult practices.do something by giving importance to self.

3. Rebellion and Arrogance goes parallelly.

4. If we realize that we are rebelling against God. Seek forgiveness from God and correct your ways and thought. If this is left undone, then you will fall from the sight of God.