JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

Even though David seeks the kingship, Saul has always been revered by David as the Lords anointed.He is sorrowful and laments over Saul and Johnathan's deaths. He holds no animosity toward Saul, he recounts his life as Glory for God's people, in his Psalm. Israels Glory!!! He reminds God's chosen people of all the wonderful things Saul provided during his reign. He remember only the good in Saul. And insist that to the Israelites (as his men are also taught Psalm) Saul is to be revered and remembered as a great King..

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? The chronicler speaks of Saul life and the judgement against him, because of his unfaithfulness.He speaks of God's wrath upon those who do not obey and heed Gods word.

How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life?

It is evident that God has removed his spirit from Saul as we have seen previously in this lesson.However, I believe God still loves Saul, Saul is God's child ( perhaps you could liken him to the prodigal son-who fell away from grace - and his father took him back). Just as David is saddened by Saul unfaithfulness and Saul's death, God is too! However, unlike the prodigal son, Saul never returns to the Father. I don't know what Saul's fate is concerning his salvation,ONLY GOD KNOWS, but since the Holy Spirit has been taken from him, I believe his fate lies with the evil one. God, nonetheless, still loves and laments ( as David does) His once anointed child, Saul . God grieves His lost children, we are all his, good or bad. He is our creator.

What do we learn from this?

Obey and seek God in everything, strengthen ourselves in the Lord.He is our salvation in times of good, and in times of trouble. He is steadfast. He will never leave us if we seek Him earnestly He is always with us! Forgive those who trespass against us and hold God in the highest esteem, He has authority over EVERYTHING!! He is our Sovereign Creator! In all things obey,forgive, and love. Try to reach those who are lost, by example of living God's will in our own lives, and lament (grieve)for for the lost ones!

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? What do we learn from this?

David remembers Saul's victories and that he made the kingdom prosperous. He does not mentions Saul's faults. He is concerned for God's glory and that the enemy should exalt in their 'sense' of victory.

The Chronicler spells out in no uncertain terms why Saul died. He did not keep the word of the Lord, (did not obey) and consulted a medium instead of inquiring of the Lord.

With sadness as someone whom He was prepared to bless but instead had to take his life.

Listen! to God's voice and obey.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

David recognizes all the good in Saul. He praises him as the annointed one of God. The Chronicler remembers the dark side of Saul and does not give Saul any credit. I believe God loved Saul, but disciplined him severely for not following and obeying Him. God never gave up on Saul; Saul gave up on God. God sees Saul for the disobedient child he was, but never stopped loving him. God's love is everlasting.

David remembers Saul's life by looking beyond Saul's dark and troubled side to Saul's greatness as a king and warrior of Israel.

The Chronicler remembers Saul's life by speaking of the Lord's judgment against Saul because of his disobedience and unfaithfulness.

I'm not sure how God evaluted Saul's life.

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

1. David remembers Saul as God's annointed and as a warrior. He did not concentrate on the dark side of Saul but the good side.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life?

2. Chronicler remember's Saul as being unfaithful to the Lord. One who was not obedient to God's word and one who consulted a medium for guidance instead of the Lord.

3. I cannot say how God evaluated Saul's life. I do know that God knew when He made him King how he would be. I think Saul was just fulfilling God's perfect plan.

4. Even the best of us has dark side and we all need God's grace and mercy.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14)

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life?

As grandious, courageous, and memorable.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life?

Self centered and that there will be judgement for his disobedience to God.

How do you think God evaluates Saul's life?

I think God said “Oh, you foolish man. You could have had it all and more if you would have just honored and obeyed me”. I think God evaluates Saul's life and all of our lives by the condition of the heart. If we do something good or generous but then brag and let everyone know what we have done, we have already obtained our glory. Saul's heart was wrong. He was not putting God first.

God honors the person who obeys him and looks to him for guidance – no matter who you are on the food chain.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1178

• 1 month later...

:wub:He remember Saul by writing a psalms about him.

I think they remember Saul is all of the bad things

that he did for some reason people remeber the

bad that a person do and not the good.yes,I learned

that we are to alway look to God for our help even

when we feel he is not there. He is there waiting gor the

right time to come and answer our pray.

• 2 weeks later...

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember

Saul’s life?

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life?

a. David remembers the good about Saul. How he was anointed

by God. He looks at Saul's greatness as a King and a warrior.

b. The chronicler said Saul died because he was unfaithful to the

Lord and not keeping the word of the Lord. He saw Saul as selfish

and having turned his back on God, doing his own will instead of

God's will.

c. God would evaulate Saul by his faithfulness and trust in Him,

his repenting and of his sins. Saul onl had to repent and ask

God's forgiveness, but he did not.

d. We all sin, but when we repent and mean it, God forgives us.

We should try our best to live for God, to be in close fellowship with

God. We should try not to let wrong's done to us hinder our path

with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? What do we learn from this ?

David always referred to Saul as the anointed one; hence he never sought to depose or kill him. He treated Saul with the respect of a King always including all words said and writen about him.

The warning that Saul was self centered is a good one for all of us. We must sek the kingdom of heaven first, and let God care for the rest of our lives. We need to be still and hear him. And when it is clear, to take action, with God's lead behind our actions.

We thank God for Jesus who came after all this, otherwise my regular self centered actions of the past would lead me to the same end as Saul. Let there be words of fear and reverence in this comment, thanking God for Jesus our redeemer, without Him there is no hope in life.

We must trust, submit to, obey and praise/worship our God who knows the best for us

• 2 months later...

3a)David had a degree of respect for Saul as king,provider for his familyand obedience to the Lord’s anointed,and remember’s Saul with dignity & sadness,how the mighty have fallen, as a warrior whose values he sought not to emulate. Saul was still important for David’s training in leadership skills. He had valued his life , seeking to avoid him, rather than kill him, in obedience to God,& to not have bloodguilt as a future king David himself e.g.not killing him when he had the chance, even though he taunted David and hunted him in his paranoia.

. b)The chronicler records the facts. Saul died for not obeying God’s word, living unrighteously,turning to a medium,doing things himself, rather than seeking the Lord’s guidance, and God turned the kingdom over to David.

c)God saw Saul as a sinner who didn’t obey him, didn’t seek his will & didn’t repent. He knew also he needed to be removed.

d) God knows our hearts.We are all sinners saved only by grace.Who should seek to turn to Lord in all our decisions &allow him to direct our paths.Growing more closely in our relationship with the lord, keeping he one and only God our focus.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

He looks beyond Saul's dark and troubled side to Saul's greatness as a king and warrior in Israel.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? He recalled Saul's failures which caused the Lord to take his Kingdom and turn it over to David.

He evaluates Saul in terms of did he finish well.  Did Saul use the information, the grace and mercy bestowed upon him to make better decisions and steward the things the Lord has blessed him with.

It is how you finish your life that counts regarding your rewards so we should concentrate on finishing well and not to dwell on past failures.

• 9 months later...

David remembes Sauls life as a King anointed by God and gives the respect that is deserved for an apointed King by God.

The chronicler is more concerned with the judgement that has came down on Saul.

I think God loves Saul, but since he didn't obey every command as required to be King, God has to take Saul and appoint someone who will obey and be the leader of Isreal.

• 2 months later...

(2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life? How do you think God evaluates Saul's life? What do we learn from this?

While David only remembers the good that he saw in Saul (strong, gracious, loved), the Chronicles verse is clear that Saul did not follow God's commands and suffered the consequences.  God expects his chosen leaders to honor and seek Him.  He also knew all of who Saul was-the good and the evil- just as He sees each of us.  When He gives us responsibilities, we must take them seriously and seek to follow Him wholeheartedly, as David tried to do.

• 2 years later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? What do we learn from this?

David wrote   a Psalm of Lament, 2 Samuel 1:1-16 in order to honor the King Saul. He may have done this in order to make himself look good as well as the king. Has David strives to become king he must make people loyal to him and if those who supported Saul can be convinced that David is gracious to Saul then they may come over to David.

The chronicler suggest that King Saul had a number of bad traits which included referring to Divinations.

The life of King Saul would probably be divided into two parts by God if he were judging. The first part of King Saul's reign could be considered as being quite appropriate by God. But in the second part of the the reign the kingdom referred to the bad traits to which the chronicler referred.

• 3 years later...

1. David sees Saul as the mighty one , annointed by God to be king of Israel

2.The chronicler sees Saul as being unfaithful to the Lord , he did not keep God's word to the point of consulting medium  for guidance

3.God evaluates Saul's life , as one who became disobedient  to His word and did things that displease  God

4.From this we learn that we need to put all our trust in God , for whatever situations  we face in life . We should inquire of Him and God will give us guidance.

• 1 year later...

He points out that Saul was a great warrior and that he provided amply for his people .... he keeps focus only on the positive attributes of Saul's life. 

The Chronicler simply records the facts that Saul did not obey the Lord and he paid the price ... the kingdom was handed to David

I think God evaluates Saul's life in the same way he evaluates everyone's life. Saul is accountable for the decisions Saul made.

I learn that God is sovereign, that his plans and his will overcome everything. There is nothing else! 

• 2 months later...

David believed Saul was in God’s hand so he left hm alone.  David  remember Saul being a mighty warrior and that he was anointed by the Lord to become King

The Chronicler's epitaph on Saul's life and legacy speaks of the judgment of the Lord against him: "Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for 
 for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse." (1 Chronicles 10:13-14)

Saul didnt look up to God For guidance or anything, he felt he could do it himself

I learned to follow God

• 3 weeks later...

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life?

How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life?

How do you think God evaluates Saul's life?

He remembers it as it was before he went nuts and turned away from God.  Before he did his own thing. He remembered him as a hero , where he was brave and served the Lord and his country as he ought.  Where he brought prosperity and safety to his realm.  

The Chronicler remembers Saul as he was at the end of his life.  Disregarding God and His will and purpose.

Who am I to judge how God evaluates his life.  I just know that I dare not let go of God.

We learn not to carry bitterness around in our hearts. David sure gives us an example of that.   Wait upon the Lord and in due time He shall bring to pass what He has promised.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Eulogy of Saul