JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Jesus is the example that God has chosen to lead men to salvation, both by emulating him and by being atoned for by him. Jesus had to be in favor with God to reflect the Father's nature, because he had to set an example for men.

The elect are one body in Christ, and a body's parts have to be in harmony with one another to live a full and heatlhy life. We express our love for God by expressing it with our fellow men, creating harmony within the body of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IN_A_MELLOW_TONE

I don't know if this is a correct answer but the trinity is the only thing that comes to my mind. I guess I'm think in terms of the father, son, and holy ghost can be applied to any relationship - man, wife, holy spirit, or man, wife, and son. It all builds the meaning of the family. Bring a families relationship together with another family and add the holy spirit you eventually have a church and then a nation and so on.

In later years, Jesus needed God's help in doing what he was meant to be doing. Had God not helped Jesus by enabling him to heal and to move people, Jesus would not have been able to teach as many as he did. It was important for Jesus to have favor with men so that men would listen to him.

God loves us no matter what, but God has a history of doing wonderful things for those who were in his favor - Elizabeth, Mary, Abram. And if we are to lead Godly lives and be an example to those around us, we have to have favor with those whom we want to be an example to.

• 2 weeks later...

We must grow in favor with God and men because is the only way that we can fullfill the Great Commision, we can't introduce others to jesus Christ and His plan of salvation if we don't interact with others, if we don behave ourselves as truly Christian and as an example to our co-workers and neighbors we would not be able to talk to them about Jesus Christ and the necessity of repentance and acceptance of Jesus Christ as only way to be eternally together with our Creator.

Also relation with other believers and other people who have not become believers yet will help us in growing in our knowledge of God and His Son Jesus Christ, we will be able to share with others our beliefs and what changes this growth has brought in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was it important for Jesus -- and for us -- to grow "in favor with God and men" (2:52)? How is our relationship with people vital to our spiritual growth?

We cannot reach others without the help of God in our lives and we must have people's favor or acceptance for them to be willing to listen to what we have to say when we witness to them. God's favor extends into how we accept and deal with people and how close we can become to the example of Jesus' life on earth and how we are to relate to others. We mst be willing to learn from others and not have a closed mind. I know I moved into a completely different church than the one I was raised in and there were some things about the new church that were not in my basic teaching, such as tithing. When the Lord convinced me that tithing was still in His will and it was for today I began tithing and He began blessing me in ways that I still have a problem believing. I wish so much that I had tithed in the more productive years when I would have been given so much more to help others with. Now my chief help is witnessing to others of the way the Lord blessed me when Istarted tithing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Why was it important for Jesus -- and for us -- to grow "in favor with God and men" (2:52)? How is our relationship with people vital to our spiritual growth?

The way we treat others is the way we will/are treated by others. When we grow in favor with men; we are received as a pleasure and a benefit to the other person. The same is true with God. We were made for his pleasure, to worship and obey him. When we do these two things we please God.

First and foremost, God was literally Jesus' father. One must be obedient and submit to his/her father, especially in Jesus' case. Nonetheless, wisdom is gained through submission.

Secondly, we have this "Great Commission" that is often not taken seriously enough. If we are to be "fishers of men" and truly instruments of the Lord, then how will a lack of submission to our contemporaries give what we say any credibility? In other words, how should be expect the lost to listen to us if we have not found favor with them. The Lord Jesus Christ found favor among God and men and was a GREAT minister to men. Credence was given to his every word, not only because his words were divine in nature, but because people liked him.

How is our relationship with people vital to our spiritual growth? How is it not?!! We grow spiritually and gain a greater appreciation for our Lord when we witness to others. Also, we slowly but surely become a reflection of our the people that we come into contact with on a regular basis. Surrounding oneself with other Christians is a great way of establishing a spiritual accountability. I know that having Christian friends and influences has been instrumentally in my spiritual walk.

• 3 years later...

Jesus had to be in favour with God, because he is in God, and God was in him. the same gose for us, we need God to be with us, so that we can be witnesses for him on earth. and it is also importent to have favour with our neighbours. it is vital to be in favour with our nieghbours, because we must witness to them about god,and help them to come to know God, to be a good influence to them,

• 2 years later...

Q6. Why was it important for Jesus -- and for us -- to grow "in favor with God and men" (2:52)?

It was important for Jesus to grow "in favor with God and men" because "with God" he showed that he was in God's will and "with men" his ministry was pleasing to those who accepted him.

How is our relationship with people vital to our spiritual growth?

Our relationship with people is vital to our spiritual growth because it helps us apply the Word of God to our every day life.