JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Imitation and Mentoring

It's so important to be an imitator for the growth of church because "actions speak louder than words"

I don't know but I thing spending personal time with the heavenly father and By fulfilling His will.

The character of a mentor and a spiritual leader is very important because after God a leader is the one who is going to teach the church but for teaching them he should be discipline first as Paul said taught by giving his example (1Corinthians 11-1)

Many ways like our daily routine, lifestyle, way to treat others etc these are the things wich shows and teach our family and spiritual children's about our character.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so important to be an imitator for the growth of church because "actions speak louder than words"

I don't know but I thing spending personal time with the heavenly father and By fulfilling His will.

The character of a mentor and a spiritual leader is very important because after God a leader is the one who is going to teach the church but for teaching them he should be discipline first as Paul said taught by giving his example (1Corinthians 11-1)

Many ways like our daily routine, lifestyle, way to treat others etc these are the things wich shows and teach our family and spiritual children's about our character.

ÒIt's so important to be an imitator for the growth of church because "actions speak louder than words"

• 3 years later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A new Christian forms ideas about being a Christian soon after taking the step to follow Christ, from those around him/her, as this is their immediate reference, before they grow in Christ and the Bible teaches them how to be as Christians.

Ministries where the leaders in the church walk the walk and not just talk the talk, are most conductive, and where the community of the church is inclusive, loving and honest. The leader of the church is the one everybody looks up to as the standard. I have seen good and bad, and the bad examples just loose credibility, and causes members to think the grey areas are ok. Not good.

The growth of people not in a church community will be different for each individual. Some people need that more than others , but it is to the benefit of everybody to grow in your Christian character when you are in a church with the right leaders and loving members.

My character sets the example to my children, and as I am not perfect, just like the next person, we know Jesus has set the guidelines as to how we should live our lives and this is what we should strive for. My children will imitate some of my habits and actions when they grow up and if they do not see me have a relationship with God, or living a lawless life , that will form them in a negative way, and their spiritual wellbeing is just as , if not more important than their physical wellbeing. 

• 1 year later...

Consistent behaviour glorifying Christ was indeed a sure testimony to their conversions.  They were living evidences of the truth of Christianity.   By their purity of life, unselfish behaviour, and patience in suffering; Christ was glorified.   The unbelievers saw their witness.  The Cardinal virtues affected the Thessalonians to such a degree that the their pagan neighbors eventually became Christian.

We imitate our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ not died as a Sacrifice for sins but lived as an example.   Christ had patient endurance in His sufferings.  The Thessalonians had joy amidst the tears, a holy joy even in the midst of afflictions.

The Thessalonians were teachable; they accepted the message of salvation as a message from God.  The example of the Thessalonian church spread throughout Achaia and Macedonia.   They were the salt of the earth; they didn't hide their candles under a bushel.  Their characters were sanctified by the Holy Spirit to such a degree that others wanted to have what they had.    The new believers were mentored by more serious and mature believers;.  coming out of paganism and immoral behaviours, the new Christians had a new song in their hearts!   They weren't groping for answers; they had the songs of Zion in their hearts despite swift, sharp persecutions.

• 6 months later...

Q. How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

A. Proactively, a newbie Christian should be paired with a more mature Christian who mentors him/her for a couple years; passively, the new Christian often has his eyes open to watch other Christians and learn from them. This is the primary reason why mature Christians should be transparent with their struggles and victories -- so others can imitate the best in their progress.

Monasteries used to have a strict regimen that included spiritual direction from a wise, older monk. Confession and honesty were part of the regimen for spiritual growth. How little of this is in today's church! Really, we need to revamp some of the aspects of church that are NOT working, such as the responsibility of the mature to shepherd the less mature. Some mentoring seems done in parachurch ministries for youth and, to a lesser degree, in church youth groups. Unfortunately, those who come to know Him as adults are simply dropped into a church and left to figure it out alone. Churches encourage adult solo faith and isolation.

Perhaps we need a more structured, monastic-like determination to shepherd every person in a church, even the most mature in Him. It's not just the pastor's duty, but ours.

Q. What kind of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

A. One that is open, so there's something to imitate. Having said this, our goal is to  BE LIKE CHRIST, not be like someone we admire in our small group, etc. We imitate HIM and only Him. But being like Christ is conceptually difficult, at times. That's when we need wise, older Christians to lean on and learn from.

Q. Why is the character of the mentor or leaders so important to the health of the church?

A. Organizations usually rot from the top. Without honorable leadership, a church cannot maintain itself for long. Inevitably it fails. I'm in one of those sort of churches right now. It's failing.

Q. How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

A. There's a happy medium between learning with/from other and learning in one's prayer closet, alone with God. Both seem to be needed, to different proportions at different times of life. Frankly, I think that developing a solitary relationship with God is far more important than imitating people in church. Our prayer life ... our disciplines ... our time alone doing studies such as this -- these are critical; having a mentor and people who mentor us are, in my wee opinion, optional. 

God calls people to solitary places at the most important junctures of life. He calls us away from fellowship, that is, and into His heart. He implants ideas and perhaps a path when we're alone with Him. Jesus constantly LEFT the fellowship of his followers to be alone with God. Similarly, most of the great individuals in the Bible had long periods of time alone, by the river Cherith, for example -- Elijah.

We tend to assume that people can't grow in faith unless plopped in a church with fellowship. I'm not so sure that's true. It seems to me that people grow exponentially in their faith when they're pulled out of an environment, alone with God. Then, they return to fellowship with something to give. Furthermore, on the Internet, we can watch sermons and listen to teachings and connect with people virtually. It's not ideal, but neither are churches.

Q. In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A. They are mystified. No one in my family is a Christian except my son who accepted the Lord a few months ago and is now struggling to believe.