JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Imitation and Mentoring

(1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a)

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

Imitation of Christ is important as it will affect a new Christian's confidence and his understanding of the faith. If our actions do not reflect our beliefs a new believer will be confused and may stumble

What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

I think serving  and caring for the members will be easier to imitate. Evangelism is another area conducive to imitation.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

The leader of a church  normally influences the faith and the confidence level of the congregation. His character may unite or break up the church.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community?

Being in a Christian community helps us to help each other in terms of understanding and experiencing the love of God. We will be able to encourage one another and grow together in faith.

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

As a parent my character will surely affect the spiritual growth of my children as the will often to up to me as their role model, through which they will model their lives. Our character will be a testimony for them to build their faith.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

These are really good questions...we intentionally do a lot of teaching and this of course is right...but intentionally modelling ...well as I begin to ponder this I am struck just how important this is too.

So In Dr Ralph's lesson he talks about Paul's relationship with Silas and Timothy...and of course they learned their craft as apprentices ...Paul being an example to them.

we see this clearly in Paul's relationship with Timothy as we have these personal letters. So ...

2 Timothy 3:10-11 NIV

[10] You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, [11] persecutions, sufferings---what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.

Paul shared his life with Timothy and as a result Timothy could represent Paul in a way that no one else could...that is the power of mentoring...and as Dr R implies in the question, it shows the need of community!!!!

Philippians 2:19-23 NIV

[19] I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. [20] I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. [21] For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. [22] But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. [23] I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me.

1 Corinthians 4:16-17 NIV

[16] Therefore I urge you to imitate me. [17] For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church.

As I think about this...what a responsibility!!!!! to say to others follow my example means that you are confident that you are following Christ's example!!!!

1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV

[1] Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Philippians 3:17 NIV

[17] Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do.

Hebrews tells us twice to imitate the faith of godly people.

This is a huge challenge, Jesus said of the Pharisee's that we should do as they teach but not as they practiced...Paul is showing that Christian leadership need integrity between the two...and that sharing our lives, and ministering together, is so important

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? How do we learn? Who do we watch?  As a baby we watched our parents and learned from them.  The same applies to a new Christian who watches older in the faith people to learn from them.  Head knowledge is great, but that does not always tell us how we should act, or use that knowledge in a way that shows us the love God has for us that we  should have for others

What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? If we can show love, patience, kindness and a willingness to serve (being a servant) then our actions and ministry will be copied and followed

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? If the church is to prosper then it's leaders need to be respected, active and care for people in the church. A church leader shares his/her life with the church.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? Do they grow or decline?

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?  If I am a leader(somebody who has been in the church for a period?) people will say what I do is the acceptable way.  However as a leader I will have faults and areas for improvement

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?          

Imitation is very important in a new Christian's life. It is the imprinting of Christ in our lives through Pastors and leaders in the body of Christ. The charactor of a mentor or leader will help bring the spiritual health and well being to the church that home faith alone cannot bring. We all need good mentors to keep our minds and hearts renewed. My character and actions are important to my family and spiritual children by whether or not my life emulates the risen Christ.  

• 3 weeks later...

1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

Remembering back to many years about my new alvation experience, I was very confused about many things from the world's philosophy in comparison to God's Word.  My pastor became my spiritual mentor ( dad) and helped me tremendosly with my spirtual growth.  I wanted to be like him.  He was patient, kind, and very knowledgeable about the bible.  He was a freat bible teacher nd I wanted to be the same.  Not only did he teach me many biblical lessons but how to teach others.  I remember one time when there was a cul trying to persuade me to follow them and not true christianity.  Their christainanity was perverted in mny ways.  However, being new, I couldn't discern between their beliefs and the bible beliefs.  So I asked my pastor.  Instead of giving me an answer that would have answered the question.  He said for me to pray that God would reveal the truth to me as well as continue to read the bible.  My answer came up within three months later when I saw the difference between what this Christin cult was saying and what God's word was saying.  I must have grown five years that day spiritually speaking.  Yes, Godly imitation's are very important especially in today's culture.

Without the proper role model a new Christian will be lost and led astray.

B. It is important for the "New" Christian to see seasoned Christians outside of the church living as Christ would live. We as Christians cannot act one way in church and live as though we do not know Christ outside the church

C. If the mentor's or leader's character is questionable, then the health of the church will be at risk. Follower's do what they see their leaders doing especially if the follower is weak. It is the same way with children. Our lights must shine brightly at all times

D. People who are not a part of a Christian community will not grow very strong I'm Christ. You must fellowship and worship with other Christians to grow in Christ.

E. My character is like a blank check. If I don't have any money in the bank and I write a check, what good is the check? It is useless. The same with my character. If it is bad, then the examples I set for my family and spiritual children will be bad.

Without the proper role model a new Christian will be lost and led astray.

B. It is important for the "New" Christian to see seasoned Christians outside of the church living as Christ would live. We as Christians cannot act one way in church and live as though we do not know Christ outside the church

C. If the mentor's or leader's character is questionable, then the health of the church will be at risk. Follower's do what they see their leaders doing especially if the follower is weak. It is the same way with children. Our lights must shine brightly at all times

D. People who are not a part of a Christian community will not grow very strong I'm Christ. You must fellowship and worship with other Christians to grow in Christ.

E. My character is like a blank check. If I don't have any money in the bank and I write a check, what good is the check? It is useless. The same with my character. If it is bad, then the examples I set for my family and spiritual children will be bad.

• 1 month later...

1. In the world we learn worldly (self centered ways) we emulate other sinners we are fascinated with. Imitation in the formation of a new Christian spiritual life is important because we have to learn new ways to carry ourselves and become God centered. We are supposed to be followers of Christ so we must imitate his ways.

The character of the leaders of the church is so important to the health of the church because the members will emulate them and follow them they will imitate the pastor. New members in Christ especially can be damaged by unfaithful or dishonorable leaders.

My character is important to my family and spiritual children because the will imitate me and experience God's glory through me if I walk in faith.

1. In the world we learn worldly (self centered ways) we emulate other sinners we are fascinated with. Imitation in the formation of a new Christian spiritual life is important because we have to learn new ways to carry ourselves and become God centered. We are supposed to be followers of Christ so we must imitate his ways.

The character of the leaders of the church is so important to the health of the church because the members will emulate them and follow them they will imitate the pastor. New members in Christ especially can be damaged by unfaithful or dishonorable leaders.

My character is important to my family and spiritual children because the will imitate me and experience God's glory through me if I walk in faith.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very important for a new Christian to have role model to learn from.  That is how the new Christian spiritual being will develop.  As Paul says is v6 that ‘You became imitators of us and of the Lord…’.  It is therefore very important that leaders should imitate Christ in their everyday walk; understanding that new Christians are watching and imitating them or following their example.  Obedience to the Holy Spirit, praise and worship, serving the poor and widows are some of kinds of ministry conducive to imitate.  Christians who are not part of Christian community do not grow well spiritually or do not grow at all.  The leaders (and parents) in the church need to understand that they are role models to the people (and their children) they are leading since their followers are patterning their characters after them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life is very important because Jesus Christ set the example of how we are suppose to live our lives as Christians. He showed us that it was necessary to have the characteristics of our Father. The lives that we live show people who we really are. Paul tells us, instructs us that we have to live a life worthy to our calling where people will see Christ through our actions. We are to have the characteristics of our Father which are the fruit of the spirit.

Ministries that are conducive to imitation in the ministry is Outreach, Nursing Home, Prison and Ministry of Giving. Jesus always met the needs of people right where they were at. He never asked them to come up to His level to minister to them. He went to them. He did not have a respect a person. He showed them all love whether He received it or not.

The character of the mentor or leader is important because this has a lot to do with the decision to stay and receive the word and teachings of the scriptures. If the leader/mentor's attitude and love is not shown people do not want to associate or be around them. If the leader is not living right and according to the scriptures the people are not going to have any trust and will not hear and receive what God has for them because of the character of the messenger. Our responsibility is to minister, preach, teach the gospel to draw the people out of the world not to bring the world in the church or atmosphere to those who are lost.

People who are not part of a Christian community will not be able to grow spiritually because they cannot receive all that the Lord have for them at home watching church on television. People cannot mature in the word of God without gathering with other Christians for teaching to build, grow and be strengthened in the bible and to help increase their faith through the scriptures and testimonies of other Christians.

My character is important because my children, family and friends have to know that even when things don't go right in life we still have to live right. We have an obligation not just for ourselves but for others. Just like our children watch us and learn from us, so do other people; whether, we know it or not. We mentor people we do not even know because of the light that dwells within us that draw people to us. As Christians we have to live a life of holiness everyday and not just in church because there are others who look to us and look up to us. We have to be reminded that sheep begot sheep and how can we do that if we are not living as people set apart from the worldly things.

• 7 months later...

1) Imitation in the formation of a new Christian is extremely important. I would compare it to buying something new that has to be put together. Without instructions or picture to compare what we're making, we're completely loss. I think a new believer is in that same position. Without someone to lead and God it's easy to go off course or just give up.

2) Small groups, one on one discipleship

3) The character of the leader is vital. New believers are hungry and willing to follow. The direction they go often depends upon the one that's leading.

4) You can't say its impossible to grow apart from a strong Christian community because some people have no choice in their situation. So the real question to me would be if it is our choice not to participate in a body of believers can we experience continual growth? Yes, but it's a whole lot tougher so why even try to make it on our own.

5) My character to my family and spiritual children is everything. Who I am now or what I leave behind in the way I led my life will leave an impact. Good or bad the choice is mine.

• 3 months later...

We are to look to Christ for the true example. He is the great leader. Church leaders are to lead by example too. They are supposed to show us how to live the life of Christ. We are to read and study the Bible so we are lights to show others the love of Christ and the way to Him. Often we humans err and our examples are no good.

We should be forever careful as to what we do, say, dress. Everyone who is not a Christian is watching us and wanting us to fail in our faith. We must be strong so the new Christians will learn to be strong. Jesus was strong when he faced the cross. Paul was strong in his persecutions, as was the disciples of Jesus. What can be better than to imitate Jesus!

• 5 weeks later...

Paul writes "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" and in so writing  he encourages the Thessalonians to follow his example because he imitates. In the same fashion the leaders of the  church today need to imitate Christ (and Paul also) than they can be examples for the people. Often it is easier to follow a mentor's example than to figure it all out one self. 

One's character and morals are probably the easiest to follow by example.

It seems that ministers are looked at with admiring eyes. Thus many people we act and talk in imitation the minister.

Christianity as we know it is a community faith and it is necessary to worship in community together. as fellow ship brothers and sisters we share together our faith, our love, our hope and our sorrows. Together we are stronger to combat the trials of life in this world and as brothers and sisters of faith we look forward together to our joyous future with the Lord.

Paul writes "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" and in so writing  he encourages the Thessalonians to follow his example because he imitates. In the same fashion the leaders of the  church today need to imitate Christ (and Paul also) than they can be examples for the people. Often it is easier to follow a mentor's example than to figure it all out one self. 

One's character and morals are probably the easiest to follow by example.

It seems that ministers are looked at with admiring eyes. Thus many people we act and talk in imitation the minister.

Christianity as we know it is a community faith and it is necessary to worship in community together. as fellow ship brothers and sisters we share together our faith, our love, our hope and our sorrows. Together we are stronger to combat the trials of life in this world and as brothers and sisters of faith we look forward together to our joyous future with the Lord.

• 6 months later...

I believe that new Christians need role models on who can lead the young ones onto the proper path of God. We need to be able to stand out and stand proud in our faith. We need to show those that follow in our faith. We need to show those that follow in our footsteps how to walk the walk and talk the talk. We need to be Christ like in everything so that all those that follow us can have the best possible examples of what Christians are. I feel that we are to use examples in all types of ministries. Mentors and leaders set the tone of the Church. If they are strong in their faith, they will lead in very strong ways. There will be growth and maturing of all members. Those people that aren't part of a strong Christian community will never grow to their fullest faith potential. They will always long for something more in their hearts and souls. They will feel empty and they will continue to search for the connection that fills them.

I need to be a good example for my family and friends. I need to show them how Christ is in my life and how much I can teach them about following the positive ways of life. By my words and actions, I want them to see God coming through me. I want to shine with God's love.

• 1 year later...

Being imitators of Christ is important in a new Christian spiritual life because Christ is our Savior. He was obedient to the will of the Father even unto death. If we are to be Christians we should try our best to be obedient to him. As he is so are we.

The ministries that are most conducive to imitating Christ life are those of pastor's and leaders in a church.

The leader is important to the health of a church because he must be an imitator of Christ and ensure that those of his congregation become mature in their faith. If not the congregation will be twisted or not have the straight truth of Christ.

People who are not part of a congregation or resist being a member can not become steadfast in their belief. They refuse the church because they may feel the people are hypocrites or will take advantage of them. They feel their relationship to God is good and moral, but this is a total deception of Satan. They can not grow in their faith nor have the moral character that the Lord that the Lord gives.

Our character is most important to our children because they look up to us for character and moral guidance. With out guidance our children will be fertile ground for SAtan, they will have a contorted view of life.       

• 3 weeks later...

While it is important to have leaders chosen by God it is most important we follow Christ first and only Christ especially in theae times of deception. We need other believers who can encourage us and correct us. If we are Christs we love Christs Church as He does and if we follow Christ others will be encouraged by our example.

• 2 years later...

It's so important to be an imitator for the growth of church because "actions speak louder than words"

I don't know but I thing spending personal time with the heavenly father and By fulfilling His will.

The character of a mentor and a spiritual leader is very important because after God a leader is the one who is going to teach the church but for teaching them he should be discipline first as Paul said taught by giving his example (1Corinthians 11-1)

Many ways like our daily routine, lifestyle, way to treat others etc these are the things wich shows and teach our family and spiritual children's about our character.

It's so important to be an imitator for the growth of church because "actions speak louder than words"

I don't know but I thing spending personal time with the heavenly father and By fulfilling His will.

The character of a mentor and a spiritual leader is very important because after God a leader is the one who is going to teach the church but for teaching them he should be discipline first as Paul said taught by giving his example (1Corinthians 11-1)

Many ways like our daily routine, lifestyle, way to treat others etc these are the things wich shows and teach our family and spiritual children's about our character.