JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. The Mind of Christ

The mind of Christ isn't part of most people's heart. I feel you can't not accept Christ without transformation the you can't receive the mind of Christ. Having accepted God we receive this and allow the Holy Spirit to lead God's mind through us providing his gifts as he said he would.

Q5. (1 Corinthians 2:9-16). Explain how we can “have the mind of Christ.” How does this work, according to these verses? How does having the Holy Spirit “circulating” through our minds explain spiritual gifts working through us?

First, the Spirit which is of/from God helps us to understand that the substance and the verbal expression of the apostles' witness to Jesus are indeed from God. Up to this point, it seemed that using the term "spirit" or "spiritual"  seemed to refer to things or words but Paul seems to be moving in a different direction here in referring to "spiritual" people:  only the Spirit can render the message of the cross truly understood to someone...this means that believers/Christians then are spritual people, and non-believers do not have the spiritual capacity to understand the things of God. 1 Corinthians 2.10b states that "the Spirit searches all things...no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God".

Second, and according to verse 13, ESV, the Spirit "interprets spiritual truth to spiritual men", again making the point that people who have received the Holy Spirit have the frame of mind and perspective to not only receive but also to understand and comprehend spiritual things.  V. 16 states that "he who understand the mind of the LORD has the mind of Christ". Acording to our lesson,  we have the Holy Spirit and can communicate and share our thoughts even at their most basic level to someone else.  The thoughts come to us from the Holy Spirit through Bible Study, prayer and intimate moments with the Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (1 Corinthians 2:9-16). Explain how we can “have the mind of Christ.” How does this work, according to these verses? How does having the Holy Spirit “circulating” through our minds explain spiritual gifts working through us?

The mind of Christ is given to us when we accept Christ. We are therefore in management of the development by reading the word, studying the word, memorizing the word while the Holy Spirit gives us a deeper discernment.

• 4 weeks later...

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

First, the Spirit which is of/from God helps us to understand that the substance and the verbal expression of the apostles' witness to Jesus are indeed from God. Up to this point, it seemed that using the term "spirit" or "spiritual"  seemed to refer to things or words but Paul seems to be moving in a different direction here in referring to "spiritual" people:  only the Spirit can render the message of the cross truly understood to someone...this means that believers/Christians then are spritual people, and non-believers do not have the spiritual capacity to understand the things of God. 1 Corinthians 2.10b states that "the Spirit searches all things...no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God".

Second, and according to verse 13, ESV, the Spirit "interprets spiritual truth to spiritual men", again making the point that people who have received the Holy Spirit have the frame of mind and perspective to not only receive but also to understand and comprehend spiritual things.  V. 16 states that "he who understand the mind of the LORD has the mind of Christ". Acording to our lesson,  we have the Holy Spirit and can communicate and share our thoughts even at their most basic level to someone else.  The thoughts come to us from the Holy Spirit through Bible Study, prayer and intimate moments with the Spirit.

• 5 months later...

We can “have the mind of Christ” as we allow the Spirit of God to lead us in our daily lives.  The Spirit of God reveals to us the mind of God.

Having the Holy Spirit “circulating” through our minds manifests the gifts of knowledge, of wisdom, of tongues and interpretation, of  righteousness and holiness.  It is the Holy Spirit who will guide us into all truth and guide us by the mind of God.

• 4 months later...

The mind of Christ is an all knowing knowledge that comes from God the father. It is the true understanding of the bible and the messages that God intended for us to understand and comprehend at that time. It is a wisdom that go past worldly knowledge. It is a wisdom that speaks to our souls. The Holy Spirit can be a very active part of our lives by opening up doors and windows into our hearts and souls where we can be open to the working of the Father and Jesus to allow us to grow more into the person that they want us to be.

• 3 years later...

We can have the mind of Christ only with the help of the Holy Ghost.  We also need to be spiritual not material, also humility in which Jesus Christ being the Son of God humbled himself to come from heaven to become one of us, and to die for us.  Being in the spirit is to be in the realm of God, I find we can only do this when we are bowing and praying.  The natural man doesn’t recieve the deep things of God, but the spiritual man does.  We all being believers receive different gifts from the Holy Ghost,  some can preach, some can do miracles, some can speak in tongues, and other gifts also.

• 3 years later...

1 Corinthians 2:9-16).

Explain how we can "have the mind of Christ."

How does this work, according to these verses?

How does having the Holy Spirit "circulating" through our minds explain spiritual gifts working through us?

If and when we have come to Christ and accepted Him as Lord and Saviour it is then He that reigns. It is He on the throne of our hearts. By that we should also have the mind of Christ operating in and through us. Therefore it should also be His gifts that should be working/operating in and through us. 

• 1 year later...

I understand well the metaphor of the Spirit circulating in one’s mind. Right now, I have a blood infection. When the infected blood circulates throughout my body, my thinking became jumbled: as the antibiotics kill the microbes, my thinking is clarifying. So in a very real sense, I know what it is to have something circulating in my mind.

--

On many occasions, I have prayed to have His mind, to understand His will and do it. In this sense, I'm praying for the "more" of the Spirit to be in me. Are there people or times of life in which the Spirit comes in extra amounts? I ask this because I think the mind of Christ increases within us as we age in Him, that we become increasingly like Him, for having the mind of Christ is a metaphor for Christlikeness.

I should be able to connect the idea of "the mind of Christ" to His spiritual gifts, but am unable to do so. Perhaps as we think more like Him, He indwells us more, taking up more space in our minds. Yet we always hold back a bit of ourselves, willfully. That's sin nature which is never utterly eradicated by the presence of the Spirit.

As the mind of Christ slowly creeps into us like a barely perceptible ocean tide, it brings spiritual gifts that have floating on it's crest.  I am waiting for these gifts.