JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Being with Jesus

Jesus doesn't tell His inquirers where He is staying because, He wants them to come along with Him and walk with Him.

It was important for the disciples to "be with" Jesus because, they needed to learn from Him.

What "being with" Jesus today means is spending time with Him by reading our bible and praying. We need to spend time with Jesus so we can learn from Him.

• 2 months later...

The only way for someone to learn back then was to live with their teachers day and night. They had no formal school system for people to learn at. A learning opportunity can come either day or night.

Being with Jesus today mean being willing to read the bible daily for possible messages. Say prayers of gratitude, love and of course asking for help. It is living our lives in a way that will honor God. We go past the letter of the law to the meaning of the law. We watdh out for our fellow man. We live in a way of love for all. We do not abuse or waste what we are given by God. For every thing we have is a gift from God.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39) Why doesn't Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? Why was it important for disciples to "be with" Jesus? What does "being with" Jesus mean today?

1. He didn’t answer them by telling them where He was staying because He wanted them to follow Him.
  2. It was important for them to follow Him in order to learn and grow in their faith and discipleship with Him.
  3. Even though Jesus doesn’t always answer our questions, it’s still just as important today as in His time on earth, that we as Christian men and women walk through our life-long journey learning to grow in our faith and our own discipleship at His side.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39) Why doesn't Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? Why was it important for disciples to "be with" Jesus? What does "being with" Jesus mean today?

Jesus could have told them but Jesus knew their interest and inviting them to come and see would help their interest blossom into something more. As stated in our lesson learning means spending time with Jesus, walking with Him, talking with Him, listening to Him. That is being with Jesus. Being with Jesus today means spending time with Him, understanding Him, learning about Him, simply hanging out with Him. After all, Jesus is real and He hears us and He talks to us. 

• 1 year later...

Why doesn't Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying?

Suppose I was to meet a stranger for the first time and he invited me to follow him I would be sure to ask, “where are you taking me?” “Is it far from here?” I may be thinking, “are you leading me into a trap?”

Now switching roles to be the stranger I would be wondering if the person I am speaking to is prepared to trust me. If I questioned over and over again I would reply “ Don’t you trust me?’ 

So I would do the same as Jesus – walk ahead a little distance and say, “come and see”.

Then if the person starts to follow me it would confirm that I am to be trusted. The person is willing to take a calculated risk. The person has courage to walk into the unknown. He/she would demonstrate a character that is up to the task at hand.

Why was it important for disciples to "be with" Jesus?

Staying with the line of thought as above, I would want to be with Jesus not so much to hear what he had to say, but would want to find out if he could be trusted also. If I were being led into a dark cave, or a dead-end canyon, I would be backing away and not going further.

But more likely the inquires were curious to find out superficial nonentities about Jesus – like his living standards, social status and his lifestyle in general.

Finally, there is so much information we can glean about a stranger and his true intentions by monitoring their body language – tone of voice, eye contact, body stance/positioning, hand motions etc. Building rapport is that much easier when you are able to spend one-on-one time with someone you just met.

What does "being with" Jesus mean today?

When a new friendship is formed the more time you can spend together goes a look way to strengthen the relationship. It is important that the two of you can feel relaxed around each other.  Acceptance and tolerance grows and you are both able to be more authentic.

• 2 months later...

This was not a chance meeting – Jesus was led to these men – He wanted them to follow Him (in more ways than one) and he said, “come and see where I am staying”. They did follow Him and spent the rest of the day with Him. Jesus was then able to communicate with them, and vice versa.  Today “being with Jesus” ought to mean the same thing – “walking” with Him. Journeying with Jesus. Allowing Him to shape our lives.  Being in harness with Him, following, obeying, learning.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that didn’t tell his inquirers where he was staying because he wanted them to be with him. They could only learn about Jesus by being with him. I think that “being with Jesus” today means that we are studying our bible, praying to Jesus and being with other Christians.

• 7 months later...

Because I believe it was more important they learn to follow Him. It is important for them to be with Jesus in order to learn from Him and be taught from Him. I would have to say the same thing applies today as well.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39) Why doesn’t Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? Why was it important for disciples to “be with” Jesus? What does “being with” Jesus mean today?

The disciples of John asked Jesus where He is staying which in Greek means abide. They want to come closer, know Him more before committing themselves to be His disciples because they are curious about Jesus. They want to know more about Jesus. But Jesus doesn’t give them the information that they sought, but He gives them an invitation, “Come and See.”

Anyone who comes to Jesus must come to Him, abide with Him and know Him in intimacy. His invitation was met by their submission and obedience. They did not question Him further. As a disciple we need to come to Jesus and as we spend time with Him and obey we grow in intimacy and closeness with the Lord.

In today’s scenario also this hasn’t changed much. Even though Jesus is not in our midst in a physical sense, He still dwells in our midst through His Spirit. We need to be submissive to His scriptural commands, accept His Lordship over our lives every day, and know that we can grow in intimacy with the Lord by knowing and obeying the scriptures. Jesus is the written word revealed in a human body.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39) Why doesn't Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? Matthew 8:18-21 is titled 'The Cost of Following Jesus.'  A teacher of the law said that he would follow Jesus wherever He went.  Jesus said, 'Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head.' Jesus didn't have a place where He stayued.  He was always on the move.  

When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. 19Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”

20Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

21Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

22But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

When the crowds tried to get Jesus to dtay with them, He said He couldn't stay with them because He had to preach the good news of the Kingdom in other towns.  That was why He was sent. 

At daybreak, Jesus went out to a solitary place. The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them. 43But he said, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.” 44And he kept on preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

They had to learn to do the things He did. 

It means being led by the Holy Spirit. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2014 at 1:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 1:38-39) Why doesn’t Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? Why was it important for disciples to “be with” Jesus? What does “being with” Jesus mean today?

He wants them to spend time with Him, to learn from Him and to be "like" Him. When we're "with" Him, we're of the same mind, we begin to think like Him, to want the same things, to know the same things, and to do the same things.  When we're "with" Jesus, we want to be like Him, to emulate Him, we want people to see Him in us. We want them to have what we have in Him!

• 6 months later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39)

1. Why doesn't Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying? With His divine nature, Jesus knew that if He told them where He stayed they might turn back and promise to find Him another day. This didn't' suit Jesus. He is a Savior now; He has them now, and He must do His job of redemption now.
  2. Why was it important for disciples to "be with" Jesus? The disciples had to follow Jesus so as to learn from Him in order that He might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.
  3. What does "being with" Jesus mean today? "Being with Jesus" today means spending time with The Word, the Bible and other sanctified means such as this course.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 1:38-39)

Why doesn’t Jesus tell his inquirers where he is staying?

• The journey to where He was staying was equally important the place where he was staying
  • Jesus apparently gave opportunity to have a conversation along the way as well as where he was staying

Why was it important for disciples to “be with” Jesus?

• Jesus was the long awaited messiah, so people had been looking for and anticipating his arrival for centuries
  • they wanted to learn from him
  • possibly the believed he was the one to deliver them from bondage under Rome, so they wanted to be a part of that

What does “being with” Jesus mean today?

• asking Him to join me on my everyday walk
  • constantly having a desire to learn from Him and about Him
  • Trusting His lordship in my daily life circumstances

• 1 year later...

Jesus Christ doesn't give a precise answer because He desired that Andrew and John would be genuine disciples.  Christ wanted to have genuine disciples not erratic ones.  Following and abiding are essential characteristics of discipleship.  These characteristics were part of John's following.

We are not made spiritual giants overnite.  The Prophet Ezekiel had to out on the plain and be tutored by God.  Through the time of bereavement, God ministered to him.  He needed to be alone with God.  Prophet Elijah also had times of being in the "spiritual desert".  Apostle Paul spent time in the desert to pray.  He needed time to be taught by God and deepen his devotion to Christ.

Being with Christ means that daily altar is paramount.   Daily Bible study and prayer are absolutely essential for the man of God.  To be quiet before the Lord and meditate on various Scriptures are essential.   Gideon didn't have the Holy Scriptures as we have them today.   He was a man of faith; however, he didn't have recourse to the High Priest who had the Urim and Thummin.  Gideon built a shrine to house the ephod; thus the seeds of idolatry were sown.  He had good intentions but tragedies followed after Gideon died.  

• 9 months later...

John 1:38-39) Why doesn't Jesus tell His inquirers where He is staying?

Yeshua wanted them to see for themselves. They needed to be with Him to see and make an informed descision. Not just a "on the spur of the moment" decision. To be "with Him" meant they could then decide for themselves. 

To "be with Him" would be spending quality time in reading the Word, in prayer and worship.