JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Nudge

1.Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

I think she either does it because she greatly cares for the groom and his family who are hosting the wedding and she doesn't want them to be utterly shamed, she knows Jesus can fix the situation so "why not?", or, she just wants to show off her Son, Jesus. I think it's the first reason though.

2. Are her words to Jesus appropriate?

Yes, I think... she doesn't mean harm and she just wants a crucial issue to be solved and she understands that only Jesus can solve that problem.

3. Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?

No! He's only telling her the truth of why He shouldn't do this miracle.

4. If so, why does He go ahead with the miracle?

I think He goes on with the miracle either because He wants to be a dutiful Son, or, the more likely matter, He senses from the Father that it is okay to do this miracle.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (John 2:3-5)

1. Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

2. Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Yes

3. Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?  No. 

4. If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Before I even begin to answer I would like to thank each one for answering these questions especially, JanMary, Gerbrandt v Schalkwyk, Roseam, Pickledilly. Your answers have sorted out a problem I have always had about this miracle. I had accepted the fact they drink wine and made myself accept it to be grapejuice (not in my wildest dreams could I think anyone would enjoy drinking wine). I really had a problem with this wonder/sign that Jesus performed. Now I am looking at it through eyes seeing lots of symbolism. 

1. At the wedding feasts there was generally a huge crowd of people. It was a great celebration which was usually provided for by the grooms family. I believe that somehow Mary was part of this family and so also was responsible for something in the celebration. Otherwise she would not have been aware of the shortage of wine. 

A shortfall of wine or food supply would be a disaster and bring shameful humiliation to the bridal couple. Mary was aware of this. (She had experienced humiliation in that she was pregnant before she had her marriage feast.) Mary did not want them to experience this. 

2. Mary at the time of the marriage feast in Cana is a widow. I too am a widow. Her reactions would thus be similar to mine. The difference is her son was also DIVINE whereas mine is/are not. If I see or have a problem, I automatically go to my son (whichever one is present) to solve it or sort it out. Mary did exactly the same. I do not find it strange for her to have told Jesus about the problem at all. I find it perfectly natural. 

3. Jesus at this time was already away from "home" and started getting disciples together for His ministry . As the oldest son he would have looked after Mary in her widowed state, until it was time for Him to start with His calling/ministry. I can understand Him helping her into making a difference between how she addressed Him as a son and how she would address Him as her Lord. He too would address her differently, but always discreetly and dutifully. 

4. I don't think that everybody at the feast was made aware of what happened, viz., that there was no more wine. (Once the 'cat was out the bag' the host would still be shamed.) I guess it was done discreetly. 

Cana is listed as one of the 24 towns where priestly families lived. (John the Baptist was also from a priestly family). The presence of the stone jars (which were used for water for purifying rituals) indicates that it was a priestly household or one concerned with purity, where the wedding was held. 

Stone does not absorb impurities like clay. That was why stone jars were used to store water for ritual cleaning. 

There were 6 jars. Believed to represent the 6 ages. 

Adam to Noah

Noah to Abraham

Abraham to David

David to "carrying away" to Babylon

"Carrying away" to Babylon to John the Baptist 

John the Baptist to the end of the world

The servants filled the jars to the brim and told Jesus it was done. He told them to take it to the one who would taste it. 

The result was the BEST WINE. 

The jars represented ritual purification and hence the Law. One day Jesus' blood would represent the purification of the body and soul in fufillment of the Jewish Law. 

The BEST kept for last. Jesus brings grace (the grace of the Gospel) in place of grace (the grace of the Law). 

Jesus needed to go ahead with the miracle as it foreshadowed what was to come. The wine that Jesus would provide through His Passion was SUPERIOR and accomplished what the Law could not. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked different Pastors for their understanding of this scripture. There seems to be many difference interpretations of what Jesus is saying in this miracle. His reply to his mother is that he has specific instruction from the Father on where his ministry begins and this is not the time or place. This is what he means by " my time has not yet come". In Matthews 10:5 Jesus sends his disciples out to preach the gospel but only to the Jews or people of Israel and not to the Samaritans or non Jew.. Jesus is sent by the father to return his chosen people back to him. He is instructed to share the good news of Salvation first to the chosen people of God. So the wedding was not where he is  to Reveal himself as the Messiah first. But being obedient was also part of his mission so God allows him to respond to his mother's request. Perhaps Mary is a little anxious and excited to show off her son and to let others know of his importance of who he is. A mother's pride in who her son is! Jesus is on his way to fulfilling is destiny and he has specific instructions on how and when and to whom from the father to accomplish his will.  We know that Jesus often stated that he only does the will of his father who sent him. So everything we see Jesus do and say,whether we understand or not is from the father. I believe Jesus was to begin his ministry of miracles, to show the Jews that he was their Messiah and they were to repent and return back to God. This has been the Messeage of the old testament and is now being revealed in the New Testament in Jesus.