JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jesus' Anger

• 4 weeks later...

Q2 (John 2:11-17) Apparently, Jesus was angry. Was his anger justified? Why? Is anger good or bad? What about anger gets us into trouble?

1. Yes, I believe His anger was completely justified.  He was angry for the right reasons; His concern was for God’s holiness and the sanctity of His House of Worship (the temple).  His anger was directed at sinful behavior; that being the case, He was justifiably angry and took action.  2)  Anger is a human emotion and nearly impossible to control.  In his letter to the Ephesians (Ephesians 4:26), Paul said “in your anger do not sin.”  The command is not to “avoid anger” but rather that we need to deal with it properly. 3)  When we become angry, more often than not, our sinful nature is exposed and we fail God.  James wrote: “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. (James 1:19-20 NIV).

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ anger was rightfully justify that was He Father House for praising and worshipping the Almighty God. It depends if your anger is going to be getting crazy then no that not justified. Anger showing love is justified. Uncontrollable anger will get you in trouble every time.

• 1 year later...

Q2 (John 2:11-17) Apparently, Jesus was angry. Was his anger justified? Why? Is anger good or bad? What about anger gets us into trouble?

Jesus anger in the temple was more than justified. Anger is not always a bad thing. Anger can lead to positive change. In this situation Jesus restored His Father's house to a place to worship and pray. Anger gets us into trouble when it leads us to do the wrong thing, to do unrighteous acts. This is true of most, if not all emotions. 

• 1 year later...

First I would like to say that I grew up being taught that anger was a bad emotion and even thought of as committing sin. So what am I thinking when I read about Jesus becoming very angry?

If I was standing in the courtyard at the time Jesus arrived, and not knowing who he was, I would run for cover to avoid being tangled up with what was going on. I would certainly think there was a madman let loose in the courtyard and the police should do something to stop him.

I find the behavior of Jesus in cleansing the temple as somewhat out of character. By that I mean he comes across in the gospels as a man of peace who is capable of exhibiting patience and kindness. As I read the words he spoke I imagine hearing a voice echoing love, hope and encouragement to those around him.

Then I read in Mark’s gospel 3:1-5 about the occasion Jesus was about to heal a man who had a withered hand and was at risk of being accused of breaking a Jewish law regarding the Sabbath.

And he said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?” But they were silent. And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was restored.

And now I am feeling uneasy to see this once peaceful man display his outrage in the temple courtyard. Am I to use this behavior of Jesus to justify the times I become angry? Am I to assume that Jesus is saying that in some situations anger is very necessary?

The question is not a matter of if anger is necessary but how do we express this potentially volatile emotion appropriately. This question demands serious contemplation. Imaging what would happen if each person who felt anger reacted in rage. If anger is left unchecked it would dismantle the law and order of our society.

I have read in St Paul’s letter to the Ephesians  - "When you are angry, do not sin, and be sure to stop being angry before the end of the day" (Ephesians 4:26, NCV). And again in James 1:19–20, (ESV)  - "Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God".

Now I am left thinking that if we were all happy to remain docile and not get angry then I would imagine a world where evil could flourish. Looking back in history anger has been a powerful motive tool for social change as evidenced by the feminist, civil rights, anti-war and other rights movements. Underling each of these movements was a feeling of being unheard and cast aside. Using anger effectively has essentially changed the course of history and if expressed aptly has a positive outcome and has even avoided all out violence and war.

In closing I would like to say this is a tough question. Anger is a double edge sword – one side can be used to harm or kill the other side can be used to protect and rectify wrong.

• 3 months later...

Anger was justified because the merchants were taking the place of the gentiles that might have wanted to worship. It was like an open market in there and it wouldn’t have been a place to worship. Anger can be sometimes be good and other times it just might get you into trouble. The way that it gets into trouble is when you break the law and try to take things into you own hands.

• 7 months later...

Yes it was because His Father's temple was turned into den of thieves instead of place of prayer for all nations. It is an appropriate emotion to have when injustice occurs however the Scriptures are very clear on how we are to express it. Ephesians states that we are not to let the sun down go down on our anger. It also states that we can not let the devil have the opportunity to take advantage of it either. That much is clear in the Scriptures. 

• 5 months later...

We usually associate anger as a negative emotion as expressed by fallen men. And that emotion is definitely bad. But the anger that Jesus expressed was righteous, and hence it is justified. He was angry because they were desecrating His Father’s house, converting the place into a den of thieves. The temple was to be a beacon to draw all men to the Lord, but by their actions they were actually disappointing the people and leading them astray.

As fallen men, living in this fallen world with temptations abounding, we tend to misuse and abuse anger. This gets us into trouble. We need to yield to the Holy Spirit to work in us so that we are angry when required but do not fall into sin. (Ephesians 4:26-27). If we are controlled by the Holy Spirit, then we may express righteous indignation, but it should be only when we are completely yielded to the Holy Spirit.

• 2 months later...

Q2 (John 2:11-17) Apparently, Jesus was angry. Was his anger justified? Yes. 

WYes.hy? God's house had become perverted from its main function as a house of prayer, and turned into something resembling a marke5.

Is anger good or bad? According to this lesson, I don't think it is either good or bad.  It is what we do with it that is good or bad.  But in real life I think anger is usually bad.

What about anger gets us into trouble?  That is bad.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2014 at 1:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

(1) Of course He was angry!  His Father's house, which was intended as a house of Prayer, had been turned into a den of thieves and robbers.

(2) Yes, His anger was justified, His Father's name was being blasphemed, and His house was being desecrated.  If He wasn't angry, then He wasn't as consumed with zeal that the scriptures said He was wouldn't be fulfilled.  Psalm 69:9 "for zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me."
(3)  Good anger, (righteous indignation) is justified when it's directed to those who have illegally wronged you and threatened you or your loved ones.

(4) If we allow our anger to turn into rage, then it causes us to sin and do things that may cause to do something that we'll be sorry for later.

• 1 year later...

Christ's anger was justified for anger because the Court of the Gentiles was being used as a venue of commerce, it was not a place of prayer and meditation.  The Temple was kept to itself, the Gentiles were kept secluded in this Court, not exactly a place of prayer and study.  A form of godliness was kept.  Maintaining external Ceremonial  and sacrificial worship in the temple took on a magical position.  Israel had failed to fulfill her universal mission to mankind to preach the truth.

This matter of anger is a deep topic.  James 1:19 is my devotional verse for today.  I need to listen and learn;  I Need to cultivate a loving spirit and pray that God keep a cover on my mouth.  The book of Proverbs is very emphatic on anger.  A wise man needs to stay from anger as much as possible.  Often it's fools that start on angry monologs and fools make the mistake to listen to such things.  Ancient Roman writers have expounded on the wisdom of maintaining a life devoid of on going anger.   There are times when anger is justified;  but we must let be used for constructive and godly purposes.  At the end of the day, we must let anger go and sleep in peace.

• 3 months later...

1. Apparently Jesus was angry. Was His anger justified? Why?

YES! Jesus' anger was justified because He was angry at the great injustice happening in the temple. Those selling things and exchanging money were defiling the house of God and turning it into a marketplace, not a place of worship, repentance, praise, and prayer, like it should be! They were cheating the people who WERE there to worship and they weren't letting anyone praise, worship, repent, or pray because of the sound of clinking coins, the sound of animals, and the murmur of people, buyers AND sellers, also!

2. Is anger good or bad? What about anger gets us into trouble?

Anger can be good or bad, depending on why we're angry and what we do with our anger. If we control it and use it for God's Will and Purpose, then it is good, but if we don't control it and act irrationally because of it, it is bad, especially if we're getting mad at something not important!

• 5 months later...

John 2:11-17) Apparently, Jesus was angry.

Was his anger justified?

Yes, it was. His actions too, were appropriate. 

Why?

The people were using the temple courts as a market place. They were actually insulting God by what they were doing. The normal coinage which was in use was also exchanged for the coin which they accepted as temple tax, for a price. In other words they had a thriving business going there. 

Is anger good or bad?

It can be either. 

What about anger gets us into trouble?

What the anger causes us to do gets us into trouble, if it is not controlled.