JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Water and the Spirit

I think that the meaning of “born of water and Spirit” means that we have to turn our lives around and follow Jesus. We need to repent of our sins. When we are baptized we are baptized with water into the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Other than this I have no idea what it means. I am just going to let it be one of those things that I don’t understand.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

Water means by Repentance and Purification.  I came to this conclusion because it is the only one that Nicodemus would have been able to understand in his day at the time. You must repent of your sins and be purified of them in order to be part of the Kingdom of God. 

• 5 months later...

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”? What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

Born of water does not mean baptismal regeneration, because Nicodemus would not have understood it. For Christian baptism didn’t exist yet. Another reason why it couldn’t mean baptism is because if it was so, then we would have seen Jesus go places baptizing people. If born of water in the sense baptism was a prerequisite, Jesus would have been baptizing everyone. The Bible specifically says He baptized no one.

Being “born of water and of the Spirit” could mean one of two things. It could simply mean spiritual cleansing because the use of water and the Spirit were an Old Testament description of being spiritually cleansed. An example found in Ezekiel 36, “I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, you will no longer worship idols and I will give you a new heart and a new and right desire and I will put a new Spirit within you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new and obedient heart. And I will put My Spirit in you so that you will obey My laws and do whatever I command.

Or it could also mean of physical birth followed by spiritual birth. Because ancient people used to refer to anybody being born, i.e. physical birth as being born of water. The baby is enclosed in a sack of amniotic fluid and when the baby is about to be born, her water breaks and the baby is born. The baby is born of water. So He might be saying: just as the first birth was necessary for physical life, so too the second birth is necessary for spiritual life. The following verse seems to reinforce this idea. For verse six says, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, (born of water) and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

So I think it could mean either of the two above.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2014 at 2:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”? What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

(1) The first time we born,  we come out of  our mother's womb in a sac of amino fluid, (water) "her water broke" is a term to mean that she's about to give birth, and we're born of the flesh.  The second time, we've been born of the Holy Spirit!

(2-3)  See the first answer.

• 1 year later...

I have given this much thought.  Being born of the water and the Spirit brings Ezekiel 36-37 to my mind.   Christ was referring to a deep cleansing of the heart, a removal of the idols in one's heart.  By sincere repentence, God cleanses the soul of the sinner.  We aren't talking about a superficial conversion or a superficial shaking of the preacher's hand.  St Paul taught  constantly about water Baptism as a burial of the old life.  The early Christain church baptism liturgies constantly alluded to God's cleansing power.

The reference to the Spirit brings to mind Ezekiel 37.  "The life of God in the soul of man" remarked great Puritan preacher Henry Scougal.  By the cleansing power of a new birth and moral renewal of the Holy Spirit, we are sanctified people, holy Nation and His holy priesthood.   No more abominations !  Set free from the world,the flesh and the devil.  Truly we have new life.   We are the fulfillment of Ezekiel 37,  we look forward to our full Resurrection when we get our glorified bodies

John 3:3 can be applied to the sacrament of Baptism.  In Baptism, the believer is incorporated into the Body of Christ.  Romans 6 describes this beautifully.  The Prophet Ezekiel  uses the analogy of water to describe the cleansing power of God (Ezekiel 36:25) and the sanctifying graces to be given to give the believer preservering graces to live in holiness (Ezekiel 36:27).

• 3 months later...

1. What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?

Most likely, it means that to enter into the Kingdom of God, you need to repent, humble yourself before, and believe in God and the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and you need to let the Holy Spirit rebirth/change you, dwell in you. and lead/guide you in all!!!

2. What do you think "water" refers to?

I think "water" refer to "repentance and purification of sins"!!!

3. Why have you come to this conclusion?

Well, it would be pointless for Jesus to tell Nicodemus about something currently non-existent and it would also be pointless for Jesus to say: "To enter into the Kingdom of God you need to be physically born, but then spiritually reborn by the Holy Spirit." Therefore, the only other reasonable option would be to say that you need to repent and humble yourself before God, and start a "new" life filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ,  and the Father (God)!!!

4. How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

I would say: "To enter into the Kingdom of God you must begin a new life, discarding the old life, filled with repentance and humility towards God and rebirth, renewal, and dwelling of the Holy Spirit in you."!!!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

(John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?

What do you think "water" refers to?

Why have you come to this conclusion?

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

Born of water and the Spirit, would be an action of repentance and regeneration/renewal. 

Water is a symbol for purification, cleansing and sanctification. 

* Procelytes to Judaism had to go through a ritual of baptism. (Almost like washing off the stains/marks of the old life). 

* John the Baptist called the people to repentance and baptized those who truly repented. Pharisees felt they didn't need that (lived a good enough life trying to follow all their rules). They in fact looked at the whole thing with scepticism. 

A man is to repent /change his ways, be renewed in his mind/in his thinking and actions. 

(John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?

What do you think "water" refers to?

Why have you come to this conclusion?

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

Born of water and the Spirit, would be an action of repentance and regeneration/renewal. 

Water is a symbol for purification, cleansing and sanctification. 

* Procelytes to Judaism had to go through a ritual of baptism. (Almost like washing off the stains/marks of the old life). 

* John the Baptist called the people to repentance and baptized those who truly repented. Pharisees felt they didn't need that (lived a good enough life trying to follow all their rules). They in fact looked at the whole thing with scepticism. 

A man is to repent /change his ways, be renewed in his mind/in his thinking and actions.