JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Water and the Spirit

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”? What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

I have never heard or thought before that the spirit part of the verse 5 in John 3 is a reference to the way that Jesus was conceived (Matthew 1:20). I would be more inclined to think that being "born of the Spirit" is another term for being born again/anew or from above. However I do not dismiss that it is a reference to Jesus birth. It may also be a reference to Issac (Galations 4:29ff)

In John 3 Jesus explains being born of the Spirit and appears to interchange these terms from verse 5 through to verse 8 with terms mentioned above.

With reference to the water: It is obviously, in the writers opinion a reference to the repentance and cleansing/purification of Johns baptism. The notes state that ..."dipping in water naturally suggests washing and cleansing. In addition the baptism of water-in the new testament is in contrast to the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). John, the apostle must have known this when he wrote his gospel . I would paraphrase the term "born of water and the Spirit" with John The Baptist's statement:

Matthew 3:11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Jesus promised to the Samaritan woman that the water he provides will cause her never to thirst and that the water he shall give her will well up to eternal life (John 4:14).

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”?

It means to be born again, brought from death into eternal life by His Spirit.

What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion?

I think water may be a reference having to do with our birth into the world, and that Jesus' mention of water refers to the rebirth by

the Spirit. Water is often used as the symbol in scripture to describe the Holy Spirit. This symbolism would not be lost on Nicodemus, a teacher of the Law, as he was required to take ritual baths for cleansing. Priests were washed with water before consecration as well as on the Day of Atonement when they were washed for separation. Jesus was going to "purchase" for Nicodemus, the priests and for everyone in the world, His cleansing and forgiveness from sin, in a very short time after their conversation.

How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

"One enters the Kingdom of God only through accepting Jesus' invitation to be born again by His Spirit, and cleansed from all sin through His death and resurrection."

What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”?

1.  The contrast between physical birth and spiritual birth. 

2,  "Water" refers to baptism.

How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?   

3.  Being born of water refers to natural birth, which everyone goes through and being born of the spirit refers to the gift of the Holy Spirit imparted at the time of salvation.

Hello,

These are just symbols

Water refers a spiritual purification

Spirit refers a spiritual Renewal

Believe in God's word all your heart, obeying his commandments.

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”?

We must be contrite of heart and repent from our sins. In those days prophets like John would baptize folks who were wanting to renew their devotion to God or were first time converts to Judaism. I think Jesus was endorsing that practice. He then goes on to say we must be born of the Spirit. That is God's doing. God gives us His Holy Spirit and we are made new in God's eyes . . born anew into salvation, if you like.

I've always believed it refers to baptism. Reading this study reinforces that view. As Pastor Ralph points out, Pharisees thought they had it made as far as salvation went because they obeyed fully the law of Moses to the letter. They were proud of themselves for being so pious. For a Pharisee to admit he needed a Savior would have been a rare thing indeed. Jesus knew exactly what to say to Nicodemus to answer the questions he had in his heart. All Jerusalem was buzzing about John the Baptist's ministry and I think Jesus alluded to that in what he said.

No one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he/she is cleansed from sin by repentance and re-birth by the Holy Spirit's indwelling sanctification and is baptized as a sign of rebirth.

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?

Q. What do you think "water" refers to?

Q. Why have you come to this conclusion?

According to Jewish background “WATER” represents “PURITY” – one had to be ritually pure before entering the Tabernacle or the Temple, the “water” Jesus turned into wine came from the water pots of stone, after the manner of purifying of the Jews (John2:6).

Ritual purity could be lost in many ways; therefore, the means of restoring it was through washing, a person who immerses himself is one who desires to being “cleansed” – to be made pure.

John the Baptist came preaching, preparing the way for the Messiah, John’s preaching must have been powerful, in the sight of the Lord he was great, and John was filled with the Holy Spirit while in his mother’s womb, therefore, I can only imagine the powerful and convicting words of truth he was speaking to God’s people, Israel, powerful words of “Repentance” - you must turn from your wicked ways and return back to God, such powerful words that great multitudes flocked unto him, believing and submitting to his baptism, however, how sad for those who did not believe and rejected his baptism, for it is a repentant heart that prepares the way for the Messiah, the greater One who will baptize with the power of the Holy Spirit.

Q. How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

Repentance is our water pots of stone that holds the “WATER” of purification, and it is ones testimony of “FAITH” that releases its “water” to flow over us, allowing our entire being to be immersed in its cleansing power, preparing the way for the Holy Spirit to come in and to take residence in the heart of man.

What a day that was for me when my heart repented and released its own way, and turned it over to the working of the Holy Spirit, the day I was “born of water and the Spirit”.

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

To be born of water and the Spirit means that in humility we repent of our sin and acknowledge that our effort can not enable us to enter the Kingdom of God. That is, only regeneration by the Spirit of God can qualify us for the Kingdom of God.

Q3. (John 3:5-7) 

What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? 

What do you think "water" refers to? 

Why have you come to this conclusion? 

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

I believe Jesus is simply contrasting both the natural birth (born of water) with the spiritual birth (born of the Spirit). So water refers to the natural birth, and spirit refers to being born anew/again/from above. In answering the question about entering the Kingdom of God, Jesus is not talking about the physical birth, but about the birth in which a person’s spirit comes alive and is regenerated by the power of the Holy Spirit of God. This spiritual birth takes place when a person puts their trust in the Lord Jesus. A person is born again through the Spirit, he receives a new nature, and is made fit for the kingdom of God. Jesus further explains that we are all born of flesh, that is corrupted by sin – the natural birth (born of water). But the Holy Spirit performs His work of washing and cleansing and renewing the hearts of those that belong to Him. “Born of water and the Spirit” – To enter the Kingdom of God we must be the recipient of new birth by the work of the Holy Spirit. 

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”? What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

Jesus required that unless we born again of water and the spirit we will not have a rebirth. My thoughts and research on the "water" that Jesus refers to could possibly have two definitions, in the Old Testament the word of God is usually referred to as "living water" thus if you are born of the cleansing of the word of God. Gods word is living word to our soul. Also, Jewish repentance was exhibited by immersion in water or for a new convert to Judaism. Being born of water can have no reference to being born of women, that is being born a human being, which I have heard some pastors proclaim. We can also say that baptism is an outward public display of Christ burial and resurrection for the believer, but the thief on the cross next to Christ was not baptized and many new believers may not have the opportunity to be baptized. in short I do not think Christ was referring to water baptism in his statement.

To bring out the full meaning of "being born of water and the spirit" is most likely to be mean, being cleansed by the word of God, accepting Christ as our savior and belief in what he has done for us, then we are filled with the Holy Spirit and a new birth to our soul has miraculously occurred.                   

Water and the Spirit is a complex idea and I have more than one way of thinking about it, both of which I believe.  Water and the Spirit are mentioned at the very beginning of the Bible:  ‘and the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.’ (Genesis 1, verse 2)  This shows the link right from the start of the Holy Spirit and water.  Jesus talks about the Everlasting Water when he speaks to the Samaritan woman at the well.  This shows the huge importance of water, not just as the physical substance that is necessary to sustain life on Earth, but eternally.

I also think it refers to two sacraments.  The sacrament of Baptism (water) and what is referred to in the Catholic Church as Confirmation, where the emphasis is on receiving the Holy Spirit and on our mission to go out to spread the Good News.  Baptism is the start of our new life as Christians and when we join the family of Christ.  We attempt to lead a Christian life and put away sin.  When we are confirmed, we become fully-fledged members of the Church.  I disagree with Dr Ralph on this, as I believe that our sacraments are divinely inspired and that earthly time is irrelevant to God.  He knows the past, present and future of our world.  I hope that what I say does not cause offence to anybody.  If so it is quite unintentional.  I have come to believe that in churches where there is adult baptism, these two sacraments are combined as one.  This is also fitting when one considers the link between water and the spirit mentioned previously.

When young people are confirmed, the imagery is of the first Pentecost and the candidates are told to receive the Holy Spirit and go out and spread the word.  In the next verse, verse 8, Jesus says, ‘The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.  So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.’  To me this is very reminiscent both of the beginning of Genesis and of the first Pentecost.  We must remember the huge effect Pentecost had on the disciples.  I think this is what Jesus must mean by being born of the Spirit.

Perhaps the phrase ‘born of water and the Spirit’ could be paraphrased, but it would become considerably less succinct.  I can’t think of a way to do it without still having the problems of getting such a complex meaning into a few words.  

I  have believed and continue to believe the water refers to a cleansing or purification. It's a reference to repentance, that is a turning away from the old life or a recognition of one's sin and the seeking of forgiveness from God. It can only be accomplished by the Spirit of God working in us. I John 1: 9 speaks to this: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just  and will forgive us our sins and purify us (cleanse us) from all unrightestness..

(John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”? What do you think “water” refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase “born of water and the Spirit” to best bring out the full meaning?

To me 'born of water' refers to John the Baptist's baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 'Born of the Spirit' refers to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, just as was experienced at Pentecost following Jesus' ascension to heaven - 'They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in tongues as the Spirit enabled them.' (Acts 2:3-4)

Water refers to a symbolic death, where we die to our sins and rise again or 'born again', having been cleansed by the water.

I would suppose we can describe it as being 'born again and Spirit filled'.

"Born of water and the Spirit” means to be baptized by immersion in water and a spiritual baptism by the Holy Spirit which is an experience of the believers at repentance.  This is what Jesus referred to when he told Nicodemus: You must be born anew by your own repentance and humbling yourself before God and the Holy Spirit's divine regenerative work within you.  To paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning one can say, as is generally said to repent or to be saved.

What does it mean to be born of water and of the Spirit?  What do you think water refers to and why have you come to this conclusion?

Our first birth is by water and we are born spiritually dead.  Our second birth we are born again or anew, made spiritually alive, through receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior and the Holy Spirit resides in us.  In this case the water refers to being cleansed, a changed person, a new person, made right in God's eyes though the redeeming work of Christ on the cross and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

It could mean of water and the Spirit the contrast between physical birth(water) and spiritual birth(Spirit) or being made new by the Spirit and showing that rebirth by christian baptism.

when we are born physically we are not alive in Christ. we have to be reborn and that is giving our all to the Lord And Savuior  no matter how good a life we live we have to give it all to Jesus Christ to be come a believer

When we give our life to Christ I think the next step is to be immerse in water being cleansed. I know baptism is a symbol of going down and coming up a new person. Praise Our Savior.

• 3 weeks later...

To be “born of water and Spirit” to me means that we have got to surrender myself to Jesus. We are to repent of our sins and turn to God. I don’t know what water is referring to. I know that when I give my life to Jesus I am saved at that moment. To be baptized is just telling everybody that you have become one of Jesus’. You must be born from anew.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

For me this is clearly linked to how Jesus was baptized by John, and then the Holy Spirit came from heaven to alight upon Him, anointing Him to begin His ministry. And the Father spoke of how He was pleased with Hi Son's actions. yes, it was with humility that Jesus submitted to this act, surrendering to His Father, showing us what and how to do it. 

So Jesus Himself was "born again" in receiving the Holy Spirit to begin doing what He was sent for, to server, heal, and save... all. 

Q3. (John 3:5-7)

What does it mean to be “born of water and the Spirit”?

Verse 5. Be born of water. By water, here, is evidently signified baptism. Thus the word is used in Ephesians 5:26, Titus 3:5. Baptism was practised by the Jews in receiving a Gentile as a proselyte. It was practised by John among the Jews; and Jesus here says that it is an ordinance of his religion, and the sign and seal of the renewing influences of his Spirit. So he said (Mark 16:16), "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." It is clear from these places, and from the example of the apostles (Acts 2:38,41, 8:12, 13, 36, 38, 9:18 Acts 10:47, 48, 16:15, 33, 18:8, 22:16, Galatians 3:27), that they considered this ordinance as binding on all who professed to love the Lord Jesus. And though it cannot be said that none who are not baptized can be saved, yet Jesus meant, undoubtedly, to be understood as affirming that this was to be the regular and uniform way of entering into his church; that it was the appropriate mode of making a profession of religion; and that a man who neglected this, when the duty was made known to him, neglected a plain command of God. It is clear, also, that any other command of God might as well be neglected or violated as this, and that it is the duty of everyone not only to love the Saviour, but to make an acknowledgment of that love by being baptized, and by devoting himself thus to his service. But, lest Nicodemus should suppose that this was all that was meant, he added that it was necessary that he should be born of the Spirit also. This was predicted of the Saviour, that he should baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire, Matthew 3:11. By this is clearly intended that the heart must be changed by the agency of the Holy Spirit; that the love of sin must be abandoned; that man must repent of crime and turn to God; that he must renounce all his evil propensities, and give himself to a life of prayer and holiness, of meekness, purity, and benevolence. This great change is in the Scripture ascribed uniformly to the Holy Spirit, Titus 3:5, 1 Thessalonians 1:6 Romans 5:5 1 Peter 1:22.

What do you think “water” refers to?

Water refers to baptism. You must be baptise with water. Even Jesus was baptized with water and Spirit (Matt.3:16)

Why have you come to this conclusion?

Because this is the ordinance and the only way once faith comes into your heart.

Rinsed and anew.

• 3 months later...

To make ourselves worthy of a new birth, we need to cleanse ourselves from our old habits. We need to wash our souls in the cleansing waters of the cross and the grace of God. And once this cleansing takes place, God will send the Holy Spirit to keep us on the right tract. This is one of the promises of Christ to all who accepted His forgiveness, grace and salvation.

We need to cleanse our hearts and souls in the Holy Water of God, and we will be graced with the presence of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q3. (John 3:5-7)  What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?  What do you think "water" refers to?  Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the full meaning?

1. To first century Hebrews, water represented cleansing however, Jesus was referring here to a spiritual cleansing, i.e. washing away ones old life and being reborn into a new life with God.  Christ’s words to Nicodemus were about a “spiritual” washing of his soul by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God that without it, no one can enter the Kingdom of God.  2) In this context, I believe it’s a reference to the Jewish ceremonial washings of that time.  Nicodemus would have understood this meaning and Jesus was telling him that this spiritual washing of his soul through the Holy Spirit transcends the ceremonial cleansings that he was familiar with. 3) Christian baptism wasn’t in effect at the time and although Jesus would have been aware of that meaning, Nicodemus would not.  Ceremonially cleansing himself with water was something that he would have been quite familiar with so I believe the inference would have been clear.  Jesus goes on to explain to him that this spiritual cleansing is in-fact a work of God and not simply the result of his own endeavors when he said, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”  4) Being “born of water and the Spirit” refers to a spiritual rebirth and not merely purification by water alone.

• 6 months later...

Jesus already established the foundation of being able to discern the Kingdom of God only through a second type of birth, not of flesh but from above. Now He told Nicodemus how this spiritual birth is accomplished. It could only come through “water and the Spirit”. He continued on to clarify a difference between what is born of the flesh and what is born of the Spirit (vs.6).

Water is associated with physical birth, whether through the father's semen (a new concept to me from the lesson) or the mother's amniotic fluid. The conception of a baby is a divine miracle, but natural birth cannot produce eternal spiritual life. Personally, I rule that out.

Could water mean the humbling of Jewish hearts to submit to baptism in accepting and acting on their need for repentance? This was the message of both John the Baptist and Jesus, since the Kingdom of heaven was at hand as Messiah was revealed to Israel (Matthew 3:2, 4:17; John 1:31). Since He was dealing only with Jews, Jesus would certainly be calling them to look beyond their heritage to see their own need for personal repentance of sin and demonstrate that in the “baptism of repentance”. And Jews (certainly the well-studied Pharisee, Nicodemus) knew of their practice of tevillah, which required proselytes to be fully immersed in mandatory baptismal waters. [These converts were called “a little child just born” or “a child of one day” - like babies just born from the waters of the mikvah pool, which they considered to be “the womb of the world”.] It seems likely to me that Nicodemus would have immediately understood if Jesus had used the word “water” to mean some type of water baptism.

But baptism cannot create life “born anew from above”. And Jewish baptism of repentance did not equate to the baptism of salvation in the name of Jesus Christ (which wasn't instituted until the birth of the Church; cf Acts 19:1-5 where Paul differentiated between the two baptisms).  Therefore, I really don't think “water” would mean this act of obedience as a requirement for entering the Kingdom of God. Indeed, baptism is never given as a mandatory work for salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9), but is a commanded response to the gift of salvation in following Christ with obedience and good works.  Acts 2:41 concisely reveals the proper sequence of first receiving the Word for salvation and then being baptized as a result of salvation. And so I also rule out water to mean baptism.

I lean toward another meaning for “water”. Entry into the Kingdom of God depends on spiritual birth, not physical or outward acts. And Scripture reveals how God does His work of spiritual purifying, and regeneration of new birth. In Old and New Testaments, water has been used to represent this inner work only done through the Spirit of God.

a. In confessing and repenting of adultery and murder, King David cried out that the Lord would mercifully wash and purify him from iniquity with an inner cleansing (Psalm 51:2,7).

b. Jesus said His Word makes us clean (John 15:3).

c. In John 17:17 He said the Word of God sanctifies us (makes us holy) in the truth.

d. He spoke of the fulfillment of Jeremiah 31:33 as the Holy Spirit uses the Word of God written “within them” to transform the human heart with rivers of living water (John 7:38).

e. Paul explained that Christ gave Himself up for the Church out of love “that He might sanctify her by the washing of water with the word” (Ephesians 5:26).

f. Paul wrote in Titus 3:4-7 that God saves us “according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior”.

I believe the inner purifying, cleansing, washing, and regeneration of the heart is to make it an acceptable dwelling place for His Spirit and give entry into the Kingdom of God. Jesus defined that this is only accomplished as “one is born of water and the Spirit”. My paraphrase would be that we must be spiritually born of the purifying water of the Word and the regenerating work of the Spirit in order to enter the Kingdom of God.

• 1 year later...

I believe being "born of water and the Spirit" refers to physical birth and spiritual birth. Apparently this was something understood by Nicodemus but the meaning has been lost. While I believe "water" refers to physical birth the other possible meanings are probably just as defensible. Not sure "water" refers to baptism as this was not a common practice among the Jews. I believe "born of water and the Spirit" means we must become new beings in Christ, must become children of God.

• 4 months later...

When we realize that we are sinners and  repent from the heart, wanting to make a uturn in our lives we are washed in the blood of Jesus.The Holy Spirit enters us and dwells in us as we seek to follow Jesus and acknowledge Him as Lord of our life. Although we are in the world we are not of the world anymore but God "birthed" us into His kingdom. Amazing.

The fact that the Lord calls it a new birth also reminds us that we start off as babes in Christ, it takes a long time for infants to walk and mature. A lovely reminder for us to be very patient and understanding, especially with new believers.