JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Faithful Witness

Jesus is called the true and faithful witness for many reasons. One of them being the fact that he testified of His Father and His Father’s Word. Everything He did was of His Father. He was sent from above meaning Heaven. God sent Him down here to die on a cross to save our souls. He witnessed to the truth of the Truth of God’s Word and what His word meant to the sinner. He was faithful to it by dying on the cross and not asking for another way out of it. He also did whatever the Father asked of Him no matter what the authorities thought. He did what the Father requested of Him no matter how hard it was. He did according to the Father’s will not His. Through Him He also testified of God’s power against Satan. Through His blood He testified of the power of the healing that God had over the world’s infirmities and all its diseases. He testified to the truth that He had the ability to raise the body from the dead when He Himself rose from the dead. He made it clear that He alone had the power to do what no other God could do! 
I have to admit that at times I have not been the best witness at all. I need to reach out to more people to make connections in order to start witnessing. 
It would look something like this: I would be bringing more people to Christ; and i would be glorifying Him through all of my actions as well

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Revelation 3:14) Why is Jesus called the “true and faithful witness”? What did he witness to? How was he faithful in his witness? He is the only witness to the words of his Father, so he is called the "True and faithful witness." 

As a disciple, to what degree are you a “true and faithful witness” to the Word that your Rabbi has taught and has done in your life? I am a truthful person to a fault. I am a faithful person to a fault. Whatever I sense from Jesus in his wish for me, I try to honor it. I know that sometimes he disapproves of my desires, and ambitions, and even though He would like me to be more obedient to Him, I have been too truthful in letting Him know how I feel about certain topics.   

What would it look like if you improved as a witness? I don't ever lie and never deceive but I think where I need to improve is when I learn to just stop asking questions. It's hard because I'm a journalist by nature. It's also hard because I was born a naturally inquisitive and curious person. But thankfully God is forgiving.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Revelation 3:14) Why is Jesus called the “true and faithful witness”? What did he witness to? How was he faithful in his witness? As a disciple, to what degree are you a “true and faithful witness” to the Word that your Rabbi has taught and has done in your life? What would it look like if you improved as a witness?

a. Jesus is called the true and faithful witness because He is Truth and He was Faithful in doing only what He saw the Father do and speak.

b. He witnessed to the Truth and spoke what the Father spoke. 

c.  Jesus' witness to the Father cost him his life. In bearing the Father's words, Jesus is faithful, that is dependable and trustworthy to communicate the Father's words accurately. After all, he is the Word (John 1:1). He is also true, the genuine article, the Son of God himself. And he is the ultimate witness.

d & e. I am learning and growing  and need to be a better hearer of the Word and proclaim it to the lost and not be distracted with other things.  This lesson has me getting to know Jesus better and to be rooted and grounded in Him and knowing who lives in me and that He has given me the gift of His Holy Spirit to witness.

• 1 year later...

Jesus is the true and faithful witness because he is trustworthy and his words can always be trusted. It doesn't matter how strange to the world those words may sound or even if they may sound strange or not understandable to a believer his words can always be trusted. His words will come to pass whether they are spoken to people overall or in a person's own life.

Jesus was a witness to who The Father is. His personality, character and his love for us. He witness to people who the Father is and what is to come. He was faithful in his witness by completing his destiny on earth. By remaining faithful no matter what was going on to do what he was called to do.

I'm a true and faithful witness by testifying to others the good things that God has done in my life and taught me in order for them to be blessed so their lives may change to as well.

Well, when i improved as a witness I will be able to touch more lives and make more of a difference. Also I believe that will give me an even deeper of an understanding of Jesus.

• 1 year later...

The idea of witnessing is connected to the idea of telling the truth. For this reason, Jesus was "faithful" in the sense that He not only witnessed, but witnessed truthfully. He was both true and obedient "witnesser."

He was true to the Word He had been created to bring.

I try very hard, even here, to be honest about what I don't understand as well as that which I may understand, though only through a glass darkly. I'm struggling now over the idea of being less tentative and honest to people who will misinterpret my hesitance or doubt. 

In my life, I am a struggling but faithful witness almost all of the time. I speak when opportunities arise and I think they are of Him. I try to be silent the rest of the time. If I improved as a witness, I would be more silent. My troubles begin when I speak, not when I do not speak.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (Revelation 3:14) Why is Jesus called the “true and faithful witness”?

ANSWER: In the book of Revelation we read letters from Jesus to the Seven Churches, and in each letter, He identifies Himself with a different name. In the letter to “the Church in Laodicea”, Jesus addresses Himself as the “Amen”, the “faithful and true witness”, the “originator” of God’s creation.

Laodicea focused on fending for themselves, lived in luxury, and relished their wealth and material prosperity. In Jesus’ letter to the Laodicean church, He named Himself “the Amen” signifying that He is firm and faithful. It accentuates the next part of His name, that He is the “Faithful and True Witness (Martyr)”. None of the other letters to the seven churches uses this title. Christ emphasizes His own faithful and true character because the Laodiceans so completely lack these two qualities.

What did He witness to?

ANSWER: He witnessed that the Laodicean Church was a lukewarm church. Laodicea was a wealthy community. They were complacent, arrogant, and didn’t see their need for the Lord. The people, were spiritually indifferent and did not make themselves open and available to God, preventing God’s blessings from flowing, and also preventing themselves from being used by God. They claimed that what they had was due to themselves rather than a gift from God, and used it for selfish worldly luxury and boasting.

How was He faithful in His witness?

ANSWER: Jesus was pointing out that He is a faithful and true witness, that He sees their deeds and their hearts, and that His testimony about them is true and trustworthy. Those who are faithful and prove they are true to the Lord and the works He has given them to do will get to rule with Christ one day.

In this letter, Jesus is warning those who are self-reliant and fail to live in obedience to the Lord that if they do not repent and come into an intimate relationship with Him they will continue to miss out on blessings, and will not get to rule with Him when He comes back to rule over the earth.

What as a disciple, to what degree are you a “true and faithful witness” to the Word that your Rabbi has taught and has done in your life?

ANSWER: To become a faithful witness, I start with receiving the knowledge of Jesus deep within, drawing near to Him in prayer and worship, and then following His example as a faithful messenger of truth. I am committed to pleasing heaven and doing what the Lord says, not what the culture wants.

As His messengers, I proclaim salvation, call people to pray, expose lies and false beliefs, and announce Jesus’ return. Finally as a witnesses I am diligently seeking to bring understanding of His judgments and to give understanding to praying them in at the proper time. The cost is real, but the reward is great … shaping history, building the kingdom, and pleasing the Lord, not men.

THIS IS GLORIOUS - THE BEST LIFE POSSIBLE - BUT IT’S NOT WITHOUT TRIALS. JUST LIKE JESUS, THERE WILL BE TIMES WHEN WE MUST SPEAK THE TRUTH, EVEN WHEN IT HURTS.

What would it look like if you improved as a witness?

ANSWER: As a Christian, it is important to be faithful to God. It is one thing to simply believe in Him, but another to be faithful to Him. When we are truly faithful to God, this shapes the way we live. For example, we are able to be loyal in our relationships here on Earth and truly love others. Love for God and others is the way to remain growing in the Lord.

Faithfulness, is a fruit of the Spirit, it can be a challenging trait to possess. Faithfulness comes from a place of trust and loyalty. Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is a confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”

Faithfulness requires us to submit our ways to God. It comes from a place of realizing that we are in need of a Savior and that He is in control of our lives. We grow in our faithfulness by having a personal relationship with Christ. If we are truly faithful to Him and obey His commands, this will be evident in our lives.

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the “one like a son of man” have in Daniel’s prophecy?

ANSWER: Daniel is written during a time of great upheaval and persecution for the people of Israel, who are struggling to maintain their faith in the face of oppressive foreign rule. The visions in Daniel, including the one featuring the Son of Man, serve as a source of hope and encouragement for the Jewish people, assuring them that God remains in control of history and will ultimately establish His everlasting kingdom.

In Daniel 7:13–14 the "Son of man" seems to symbolize the angels (perhaps the archangel Michael) and/or the righteous and persecuted Jews who will be vindicated and given authority by God, rather than function as one individual, heavenly figure who represents the people. The Son of Man in Daniel's vision is portrayed as a heavenly figure who is granted authority, glory, and sovereign power by the Ancient of Days. The Son of Man is presented as a figure who will act on behalf of God's people, bringing about their ultimate deliverance and the establishment of God's eternal kingdom. His kingdom is described as everlasting and indestructible.

In what ways does this personage, (“one like a son of man”), possess divine elements?

ANSWER: This personage, “one like a son of man”, possess divine elements in that He:

• Resembles a man.
  • Comes on the clouds of heaven, perhaps denoting His heavenly origin.
  • Approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure obviously representing God.
  • Receives authority, glory, and sovereign power.
  • Is worshipped by people of all nations and languages.
  • Possesses an everlasting kingdom.

What authority does He, (“one like a son of man”), have?

ANSWER: The Son of Man in Daniel's vision is portrayed as a heavenly figure who is granted authority, glory, and sovereign power by the Ancient of Days. The authority He has is He will rule over an everlasting dominion which will not pass away. The Son of Man is the final king over the earth. His kingdom will last forever. His subjects are all the peoples, nations and men of every language who will serve Him. All rulership, praise, and the entire earth are given to this king. This new king is unlike any king who came before Him. He is, of course, Jesus Christ.

How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

ANSWER: He is presented before God so that God can examine and evaluate Him. God clearly approves of this Son of Man, because He gives Him dominion, Glory and a kingdom. This king will be a son of man (someone in human form) yet arrive with the clouds of heaven (v. 13), attaching heavenliness and deity to Him. This combination of man and God is only found in the person of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God and of Man.

Today, the Lord Jesus is seated on the right hand of God the Father in heavenly glory, but the great Creator of the universe has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness - through the Man Christ Jesus, Who has been appointed heir of all things. By grace, He has furnished us with proof that Jesus is indeed His anointed Son, by raising Him from the dead - praise Hiss holy name.

Q2. (Daniel 7:13-14) Since Jesus is the Son of Man in Daniel’s prophecy, what implications does that have for your obedience, your worship, your estimation of Jesus’ power and glory?

ANSWER: The implications that the Son of Man in Daniel’s prophecy have for my obedience, my worship, and my estimation of Jesus’ power and glory. …:

a: your obedience - the Son of Man, serve as a source of hope and encouragement for the Jewish people, assuring them that God remains in control of history and will ultimately establish His everlasting kingdom.

b: your worship - The Son of Man is presented as a figure who will act on behalf of God's people, bringing about their ultimate deliverance and the establishment of God's eternal kingdom.

😄 your estimation of jesus’ power and glory - Imagery would have resonated deeply with Daniel's original audience and continues to hold significance for readers today as we seek to understand the role of the Son of Man in the broader biblical narrative.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the One who finds joy in His Father?

ANSWER: Jesus is called “a man of sorrows” because of how much suffering He had to endure. He suffered first by leaving the glories of heaven and entering the human race as a man. Then He suffered all the things that humanity suffers, and then finally He suffered the wrath of God as the sin-bearer. Such suffering must have been all the more acute for Him, given His perfect nature. Who of us could ever understand the depths of what His righteous spirit suffered as He lived among fallen humanity?

Although He is called “a man of sorrows,” Jesus was not a morose, doleful person. He did endure times of sadness, but He could rejoice in His sufferings as He focused on the final outcome. Jesus is “the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2). Jesus endured many pains, hardships, sufferings, and sorrows, but He kept His eyes on the final joy of completing God’s purpose and redeeming His lost sheep.

It was Jesus’ willingness to endure suffering and sorrow in a world of suffering and sorrow that ultimately rescues all who trust in Him from the very presence of any suffering and sorrow. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

ANSWER: The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. The Scripture depicts a sort of happiness in the midst of sadness. It means experiencing two things at once: one being the damage caused by sin and the other being the happiness given by God. We are to have joy in sorrow. We can experience joy in the midst of suffering by experiencing joy in the Holy Spirit.

1. reasons for joy and sorrow can converge. One of the reasons there can be joy and sorrow simultaneously is that the reasons for each of them are different, and those reasons can both be true simultaneously in our experience.
  2. pain and joy are grounded on different realities. Christian joy doesn’t mean we don’t feel pain. We can see from Revelation 21:4 that tears correlate with death and loss, and crying correlates with pain. the Bible speaks about that pain in relation to joy in two ways — two real, true ways. tearful joy in God will be replaced with tearless joy in God. Painful joy in God will be replaced with painless joy in God. You can’t stop pain and tears from coming, but you can keep joy from going. Because the pain and the joy are grounded on different realities.
  3. nothing can dislodge our joy in Jesus Christ. God is in charge of what happens to you. There is no condemnation now or forever. And Jesus is an all-satisfying treasure and friend. This is an unshakable boulder of joy — real gladness, real satisfaction in all that God is for you in Jesus. Tearful joy gives way to tearless joy. Moreover, embrace all the Scriptures about joy and sorrow.

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:5-6; 1 John 2:1) In what sense is Jesus our “one Mediator between God and man”?

ANSWER: A mediator is an official “go-between” who acts as a link between two parties to reconcile their differences. The term literally means “one who stands in between.” Because of our sinful condition, human beings need a mediator to negotiate peace with God—and that person is Jesus Christ: Only the sacrifice of the sinless, spotless Lamb of God could fully pay the ransom required to set people free from sin and eternal death. Jesus took our punishment on Himself, making it possible for us to experience forgiveness of sin and freedom from its destructive control. There is one mediator between God and man means that Christ is the only way to God the Father. If we want to experience peace with God and a restored relationship of joy in His presence, we must come “by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body”

Jesus Christ is the one mediator, the one and only Savior of the world. There is no other go-between. We come to God through faith in His Son, who is the only means of salvation. Religion cannot save us. Good works won’t make us right with God. Nothing but faith in Jesus Christ is sufficient to bridge the gap between sinful humanity and a Holy God.

What happens to this personal relationship with Jesus when we ask a minister or a saint to intercede for us?

ANSWER: God appreciates people who pray fervently for others facing trials.

God urges us not only to pray and commit our burdens to Him, but to seek out others who will help us carry our burdens by their prayers. The Bible says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

Do this believing that there was power in others praying. This is why we shouldn’t hesitate to ask others to pray for us. God loves us, and one of the ways He shows  His love to us is by promising to hear us when we pray. God sent His Son into the world so that the barrier separating us from God, a barrier caused by our sin, could be destroyed. Because Christ gave His life for us, the Bible says “we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand” (Romans 5:2).

Does this mean we should indiscriminately ask everyone we know to pray for us, no matter how personal or delicate the situation might be? This may be appropriate at times, but not always. Sometimes our burdens shouldn’t be widely shared, because people who don’t know us may not be able to pray intelligently. Jesus prayed with His disciples, but frequently He also prayed alone, because even His closest disciples couldn’t have understood the burdens He was carrying.

Don’t let your pride, or anything else, keep you from asking others to pray for you. Prayer is one of our greatest privileges, and the Bible’s promise is true: “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14).

How is Jesus our Advocate before the Father?

ANSWER: Jesus is our Advocate before the Father means that our Savior (Jesus) stands before the Father to plead our case. He is literally our lawyer. When you mess up, He does the legwork, He makes appeals, He files motions, and He defends us even when we were wrong because of His grace, empathy and forgiveness. He is the fulfiller of the Law, and He is actively fighting for us.

He advocates for us to be judged by the Law of mercy because our Lawyer already paid every penalty. Even when we are guilty of messing up, the verdict is not guilty. And He has a host of angels to enforce His verdict. He has never lost a case. Imagine; the God of the universe is our personal lawyer.

Run to Him! He will set you free from a life of sin. He will be your Advocate and will empower you to advocate for others.

In what ways are you an advocate for the powerless in your community?

ANSWER: Community advocacy is a strategic approach to influencing outcomes and driving change on behalf of your community. It involves representing your community's rights and needs to the level of government best able to respond. We currently live in a society in which individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities are not fully appreciated and included as valued members of a community.

The ways in which I am an advocate for the powerless in my community are: speaking up when I see someone being insensitive or discriminatory against ALL people, especially for people with disabilities. Very supportive of people with disabilities. Actively listen to the needs and passions of the individuals. Support and love them unconditionally. Have managed several group homes for people with autism. Continue to assist the seniors in my apartment building (cook meals, push to get maintenance issues done right away, etc …). I must continuously strive and to use my extensive education, skills, dedication, and training to support the people with disabilities, so that they can be recognized as productive members of an inclusive society.

How do you function as a reconciler, a mediator, a peacemaker as you serve Christ?

ANSWER: How do I function as a … as I serve Christ?

a). Reconciler - Reconcilers serve as witnesses to Christ when they mediate between parties. Using a process to facilitate godly discussion, they coach all parties to apply God's Word to the conflict. As mediators, reconcilers do not make decisions for the parties but guide them in reaching biblically faithful solutions.

I encourage people to reconcile through confession and forgiveness. Throughout the process, they proclaim Christ and His ministry of reconciliation.

b). Mediator - Functioning as a go-between or intermediary between two people or parties, in order to initiate a relationship, promote mutual understanding or activity, or effect a reconciliation after a dispute. Do not make decisions for the parties but guide them in reaching biblically faithful solutions.

c). Peacemaker - First, we must forgive others as God has forgiven us in Christ Jesus. The peacemaker initiates reconciliation when others have wronged them. The peacemaker is quick to repent when they have wronged others. The point of peacemaking isn't just to avoid violence, but rather to radically bring about peace.

When we talk about making peace, we’re talking about reconciliation. We’re talking about doing whatever is in our power to build bridges and create opportunities for relationships to be mended and strengthened.

1. Take responsibility for reconciliation. It also means that you’re willing to do what you can to improve other folks’ relationships, too.
  2. Avoid sweeping generalizations about others. As children of God, it’s our responsibility to destroy barriers and walls of hostility, not add to them. DO NOT buy into representations of others that solidify those divisions.
  3. Cultivate a gentle spirit. It might be surprising to discover, but “nice” isn’t necessarily the goal of a peacemaker. “Nice” tends to circumvent the hard work of bridge building. Gentleness addresses the way we wade into difficult situations. It’s a trait that helps breed peace and calm in the midst of high-stakes discussion. Sometimes peacemaking entails saying difficult things that others don’t want to hear.
  4. Be patient with others (and yourself). Patience is so critical because it gives us the stamina to work through the typical process of making peace. There isn’t always a quick fix to relational brokenness. Patience flows from our faith and hope that you’re doing real kingdom work in reconciliation, and the outcome will be worth the effort.
  5. Don’t vent about others. Being a peacemaker is about consistency of character. People need to be able to trust you and your motives. When you vent about difficult people and situations, people doubt your sincerity and don’t feel that they can be open with you. As peacemakers, it’s very important that we avoid gossip and complaining about others. Venting about others also impacts our attitude. Jesus tells us that peacemakers will be recognized as children of God.