JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Son of God

In what way does the title Son of God make Jesus equal with the Father?  I'm not sure.  The only thing that comes to mind is where Jesus said that He and the Father were one.  The Jews saw this title as Jesus being equal with God, but I'm not sure why. 

When you deal with the Son, is that the same as dealing with the Father?

With God it is, but in our world it isn't. 

Do you know Jesus the Son of God? Yes.

Do you love him?  Yes.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. In what way does the title Son of God make Jesus equal with the Father? If he is born of a God, it means Jesus is also God, which would make him equal with the Father.

When you deal with the Son, is that the same as dealing with the Father? It's hard to say because I've never met either. I wonder if one gets offended if I don't mention the other in my prayers. If I say, "Lord Jesus, deliver me from my suffering..." is the Holy Father upset that I didn't mention him? If I say, "Dear Heavenly Father, please shelter me in your wings..." does that make Jesus jealous? It's really hard to tell. I was told that the Son and the Father are one, but if this is the case, how can Jesus be praying to the Father every morning? 

Do you know Jesus the Son of God? I believe I know him and get to know him more and more everyday. 

Do you love him? I do love Jesus the Son of God with all my heart but I always feel like it's not enough.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. In what way does the title Son of God make Jesus equal with the Father? When you deal with the Son, is that the same as dealing with the Father? Do you know Jesus the Son of God? Do you love him?

a. Jesus in His pre-existent state was in the form of God.  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
b. Yes,  I and My Father are one.” (John 10:30)  We pray to the Father in Jesus Name.

c. Yes, I was in need and committed myself to the Lord and He revealed Himself to me.

d.  I love Jesus because He first loved me and revealed Himself to me and showed me what He was really like and that He loved me.  In really getting to know Him I want to love Him more and more each day.

• 1 year later...

Because Jesus is God Almighty and is divine just like the Father. He already existed before we did. He has always existed. 

Yes when you deal with Jesus it is the same as dealing with The Father. When Jesus says something it is the same as The Father saying it. Jesus would never say anything that the Father didn't agree with. His words are perfect. So when Jesus says something it is The Father saying it to.

Yes I know Jesus the Son of God and Yes I do love him.

• 11 months later...

The identity and difference of God and the Son (and the Spirit) is not something I well understand and yet it's crucial in Christian thinking. I believe it was the Arian controversy in around 300 AD that dealt with this thorny issue -- How can Jesus be God and man, and how can He be the Son of Man and the Son of God???

In normal human relationships, the son is not equal to a father. There is a deference, experience and knowledge in a father that a son does not yet have. Yet, we all know that sons eventually grow into fathers, or boys grow into men. But the Son of God is simultaneously God the Father because time is an irrelevant concept in the Bible. On earth we must wait for a boy to grow up to be a man -- in the Bible, Jesus the infant was fully God at birth.

I know that many Christians pray to God the Father and Jesus the Son differently; some even directly appeal to the Spirit. I'm not nuanced/mature enough in my faith to understand the difference so pray to God. If brought to mind (by the Spirit) I pray to Jesus. I ask the Spirit to come into me to strengthen/guide/comfort/inform, but as I do so, I know I'm still praying to God.

To answer your last question, I fear God more than love Him.

• 7 months later...

Q1. In what way does the title Son of God make Jesus equal with the Father?

ANSWER: Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form. Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is called the Father for at least three reasons: because He is the Creator (or “Father”) of the earth, because we take upon us the name of Christ when we are baptized (just like a baby takes his or her father's name), and because Christ does His Father's will, which means He has the authority of the Father and is therefore called Father. That explained why the scriptures sometimes refer to Christ as both the Father and the Son.

When you deal with the Son, is that the same as dealing with the Father?

ANSWER: The Father and the Son Relationship which exist between God and Christ is the being a Father-head Figure and an Offspring Status Relationship instead of being two ranked Persons because the Son (Jesus) and the Father are equal in reference to the being of Spiritual Persons.

The difference between God the Father and God the Son: … God the Father is the title of the supreme creator. The titles of the Son and Holy Spirit are merely titles reflecting the different personal manifestations of the One True God the Father in the universe.

Do you know Jesus the Son of God?

ANSWER: YES, I know Jesus the Son of God because the Bible gives evidence of His divinity from the virgin birth to the Resurrection.

Do you love Him (Jesus the Son of God)?

ANSWER: YES, I love Him with all my heart. I choose to do nothing but to love my Lord Jesus - nothing! I desire to do all things for His sake, and out of love to Him. This is the first and last of true delight — to love Him, who is the first and the last.