JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Jesus puts himself as equal with God with the I Am statements. This let's us know that he is making it clear that he is equal with God and that he is God in the flesh.

All of the I am statements are very important to me personally but the one I choose to say something about is I am the good shepherd. I always depend on Jesus to be my shepherd to guide me to lead me. When I need direction I trust in The Father which also includes Jesus and The Holy Spirit to guide me fully even when I don't understand what is fully going on. Jesus has always proven himself faithful in shepherding me. Jesus will Always be faithful in leading and guiding me and taking care of me. 

• 1 year later...

The "I am" statements are all metaphors, obliquing referring to a quality or characteristic of Jesus.

Of the list given, I suppose the verse that means the most to me is the fifth, "I am the resurrection and the life." It's the clearest statement on the surface; less metaphorical. Yet it's meaning is difficult for me. The resurrection occurs after Jesus' life and death. The order is inverted. I would expect Jesus to say, "I am life and the resurrection." 

• 7 months later...

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I AM” statements?

ANSWER: The phrase “I AM” reflects Exodus 3:14, where God introduces himself to Moses with the expression “I AM WHO, I AM.” This statement became a way to connect with God personally and was used throughout Israel’s history to convey that God always was, always is and always will be. Jesus' I Am statements reveal to us who He is and what He came to do. They show us His nature and His heart towards His people. Each statement is intended to give the miracle meaning for the ministry of Jesus. They show us that Jesus’ miracles were not just acts of power or mercy, but actions demonstrating the meaning of his ministry and teaching. 

These are powerful statements that each follower of Jesus should know. The “I AM” statements found in the Gospel of John are:

1. the bread of life (John 6:35), emphasis on 35
  2. the light of the world (John 8:12), emphasis on verse 12
  3. the door (John 10:7), emphasis on verses 7-10
  4. the good shepherd (John 10:11,14), emphasis on verses 11 and 14
  5. the resurrection and the life (John 11:25), emphasis on verse 25
  6. the way the truth and the life (John 14:6), emphasis on verse 6
  7. the true vine (John 15:1), emphasis on verses 1 and 5

Which of these “I AM” statements means the most to you personally?

ANSWER: All of the “I AM” statements are most personally to me. If I want to grow my faith and step into the incredible life that God has for me, a great way to start would be to get to know God through these statements, “I AM”. I must study them, pray them, live them. Knowing Jesus is the way I can find truth and experience the freedom that He has for me.