JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Gentle but Fearless Witness

When persecution comes our way it is easy to harbor bitterness in our hearts. We are a selfcentered people and it is natural to want to get revenge. We think more of ourselves than we ought. We mistakenly think that it is because of who we are that we are persecuted instead of realizing that it is because of who He is we are persecuted. Satan cannot get at God in Heaven personally but he gets at God by coming against His children. We think it is against us but it is really against Him.

Most needed is to speak gently and realize that is is a spiritual battle. Stay close to Him. Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

Being a human being, the physical aspect takes over once the body is persecuted or tortured, because the body metabolism fights back against pain. That's why the body takes the short-cut route to escape. The body instructs the mind to escape from the problem by taking the easy way out. Unless the body, mind and soul are in complete control of the Holy Spirit, it is very difficult to be a positive witness when were are percecuted.

As said above, the body dictates the mind to take it easy. As in 2 Cor 10:5, we must take every thought captive to the Holy Spirit and let the Holy Spirit direct our thoughts, words and deeds.

In my case, Peter's instructions regarding reply with gentleness applies. I tend to get upset with criticism and react sharply. I am learning to be gentle and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will get over this problem

It can be difficult to witness under persecution, because those who persecute us don't want to listen to what the christian has to say. The persecutor's heart is closed to what the christian has to say.

It is easy to make a wrong decision, because we don't want to say the right thing to bring on the persecution.

All four can help me in my situations. Each advise is useful, and a reminder. As to how I'm suppose to deal with the situation.

I have a hard time witnessing because first of all, I'm scared of rejection, and I'm afraid that I will get no response at all. I find myself not being direct about witnessing, I'll find some way to work it in, instead of being really direct about Christ. But because of fear, I think some Christians just withdraw and give their money to missionaries and call that witnessing. I've considered that option myself. I'm learning this is not imitating our Lord, who gave up all things. People ignore me most of the time, or they always interupt me and some have come right out and told me "now is not the time or the place to discuss spiritual things". I have to say that witnessing is harder than I thought it would be. I know that juggling several different principals at the same time is really difficult too. It may be easier for you than me but I can't imagine. So when I'm out in the world and trying not to be of the world so my light will shine through I'm afraid I'm going to get lost in the world. So to say it's easy to be the wrong kind of witness in tough places is an understatement. The Holy Spirit is trying so hard to help me work on my worldliness right now. You can bet that most Christians today are not like the early Christians who loved not their lives unto death. I find that I need all of Peters' instructions to me at all times. I would pray for witnessing to become easier but I think the Lord would just tell me that if it were easy I would lose the spirit of glad sacrifice.

• 1 month later...

a. It is hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted because, like Peter when he denied Jesus, we are often cowards, especially when confronted by a crowd.

b. The answer to the question as to why it is easy to be the wrong kind of witness in "tough places" is the same answer to question number one. We are cowards and allow Satan to put fear in our hearts, when we should be focusing on Christ, as emphasized in point number one. We forget who has the final, ultimate upper hand in this conflict: God!

c. Peter's instructions to focus on Christ rather than our fears is most needed in my situation, though the second (be ready to give an answer) would be a close second. I need to study more diligently and apply myself to knowing the Word so I can verbalize the truths in which I say I believe.

• 3 weeks later...
Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?  Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

Being actively guilty of that which you are testifying of, makes it hard to be a witness when under trial of it. And so although the same err would be easy to identify in somebody else, it makes that person out to be a hypocrite if they should say anything to correct the situation.

Having a clear conscience will defeat any kind of accusation that may come your way at anytime, and also qualifies one to correct another.

• 4 weeks later...

It is hard enough for most to be a witness to people not persecuting us. So, for us to be the right kind of witness we need to reflect first and determine the kind of witness we need to be and then believe in God to help us in our struggles. I know that fo rme in my situations I need to work on keeping a clear conscience. So, I don't get off the track that I am in following Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

It is so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted because we live in the flesh. It is easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness because fear sets in and we do not rely on the Lord. Of Peter's four instructions, I find the most needed in your particular situation is to focus on Christ instead of my fears.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

I think it is hard to stand up, to be on the unpopular side of a view, whether you are being persecuted or not. I recently had to stand up and explain some of my views to the homeroom teacher at my daughter's school. It would have been far easier to just go with the crowd. I risked her being upset with me. But I realized if I didn't stand up, my conscience was going to bother me more. After I did stand up I felt such relief and joy just knowing I did the right thing. It's hard to be a witness because it so difficult to be ridiculed! It is far easier to just not say anything - when we don't stand up for what we believe in we are the wrong kind of witness. I learned from my situation that if God was bothering my conscience then He wants me to stand firmly for what I believe and also that HE WILL GIVE THE STRENGTH TO DO HIS WILL.

• 7 months later...

People are blinded to the truth. They cannot know or understand the things that Christians have learned along the way. When we are being persecuted for what we believe in and know to be right, I think that just frustrates us and when we become attacked personally, our "flesh" kicks in and we just want to tell them off. We may be Christians, but we are not perfect.

When we are in tough places it is easy to be the wrong kind of witness because the more we're under pressure, the mor ecareless we are with the words that come out of our mouths. (We all know that i a heated arguement words just begin to fly out of control.) Hence, we are made out to be no different than any other person in this world.

My problem is that I have more of a quiet personality. Sometimes (depending on the relationship I hve with the person) a fear of speaking rises up in me and I can't think of what to say and when I do the words just become all jumbled, because I am so nervous to talk.

BUT... on the other hand, If I'm really close to the person, such as my husband, I get really frustrated with him when he doesn't even seem to care to have a deeper relationship/walk with God and I am shocked, afterwards, with the words that come flying out of my own mouth. I think that is why it is better to just keep your mouth shut and say nothing when under pressure.

• 1 year later...

When we witness in hostile circumstances, I think we try to rely on ourselves rather than putting our trust in Jesus; putting Him first. If we do he will give us the wisdom and the arguments. Our witness is ineffective if we ignor the Holy Spirit within us and rely on ourselves. When persecuted we lack confidence and when we lack confidence we lack conviction and cannot convince. In tough places the quality I most lack is the preparedness to give an answer. It is easy to avoid the situation by saying nothing and turning away from the subject (and the opportunity). But I should be prepared to give an answer always. I should not fear because fear challenges my belief in Jesus and the trust I should place unconditionally in Him. In tough places giving an answer to why I have faith may be the start of the most effective witness.

• 5 months later...
:) I believed that it would be hard to be an effective witness during times of persecution; because as human being when trouble hits we are more concerned about ourselves. The same answer would apply to the second half of this question. In Peter's four stated instructions, the one that I need to cultivate most is learning how to reply with gentleness

• 6 months later...

It's hard to be a witness when we're persecuted because it hurts to be slandered. People say mean things that aren't true and it hurts in our hearts. Replying with gentleness is the hardest for me - I want to respond like for like and have to work hard to control my tongue.

• 4 weeks later...

It can be hard to witness when we are persecuted because we are distracted, fearful, anxious and off-balance. Therefore, we become the wrong kind of witness. "Reply with gentleness" is the area that I am working on in witnessing to those who profess distaint for Jesus Christ.

• 9 months later...

It is hard to witness when we're persecuted because we have a tendency to become defensive, and react or reply in a way that isn't pleasing to God. In tough places, we often want to go with the flow or try and fit in. It is during these times, that we harm our credibility as Christians. I believe I am most in need of being ready to give an answer. I am a very inadequate ambassador for Christ.

• 2 months later...

It is not easy living in the world when we're tempted to act one way according to the flesh, and yet God has called us to live according to the Spirit. I believe many of us fear rejection or non Christions treat us with contempt. The good news is that God never asks us to do anything that He doesn't enable us to do. But we must be willing to humble ourselves before Him and obey His will instead of seeking our own way.

I know that the easier path is to operate in the familar, which is to say that we've often spent so much time dealing with life in a sinful, selfish way, apart from God, that when we do come to faith in Christ it's hard to get out of the mode of how we used to live. But we must remember that we are new creatures in Christ and we have a high calling to represent our God faithfully in this world. Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good.

Number 2-----------No one likes to be abused, especially when I am doing nothing wrong I want to cry foul! But simply because a part of me doesn't seem fair does not mean that God is unfair. In fact as we saw in ( 1 Peter 3: 12 ) " For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their prayer"......... That doesn't simply mean that He always sees us and knows what we're doing. It means that nothing in our lives escapes His notice or concern.

He's aware of even injustices in our lives and He's there to comfort and strengthen us in the midst of those times and to enable us always to look to Him as the God who will never leave us or forsake us.

• 2 weeks later...

We focus on ourselves rather than on God. Our fear is for ourselves rather than a fear for God and what He will think of us. God will bless us when we are persecuted for His sake. The best example of this is Paul and all the persecution he suffered, and Jesus Himself.

We compromise what we believe to save our own skins. It is easier to be compliant than to stand up for Christ and face whatever the consequences.

Focussing on Christ, rather than our fears is the most difficult and needed for me. The fears in the world, and particularly material provision, are the things that tend to overwhelm us. But faith in Christ, and His promises, is what keeps us going.

• 1 month later...

It is hard because the flesh is weak. Pride takes over and then we are saying and doing all kind of things that are not Christ-like. The anger builds and we are one word short of hell's gate a point of no return. It is easy to be the wrong witness in a place were there are unbelievers looking for an answer to life's questions about Christianity and we can't answer any questions they may have because we are sending the wrong kind of message by the way we act before the unbeliever. We need to be respectful of God's word and of the people we are suppose to be winning over to Christ.

It is hard because the flesh is weak. Pride takes over and then we are saying and doing all kind of things that are not Christ-like. The anger builds and we are one word short of hell's gate a point of no return. It is easy to be the wrong witness in a place were there are unbelievers looking for an answer to life's questions about Christianity and we can't answer any questions they may have because we are sending the wrong kind of message by the way we act before the unbeliever. We need to be respectful of God's word and of the people we are suppose to be winning over to Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

Were afraid to be laughed at or made fun of. That we might even be attacked or lose a friend. Our human nature is afraid of rejection.

Our human sin nature takes over and maybe the devil interceding when were in the tough place causing us to be a bad witness.

I think for me its a combination of two of these thats most need my focus on Jesus in the situation putting him first and afraid i won't give the right answer not being ready.

• 2 weeks later...

For years I was the wrong sort of witness, I blended in with the world and no-one looking at me would have known I was a Christian.

Praise God that despite my years of failure, He never gave up on me and I am now able to be a stronger more stand-out-able christian.

I still tend to panic or think I don't know the answers, but I am learning to listen to the Spirit's gentle whisper and to hear what He wants me to say.

• 1 month later...

Being focused on Christ and the hope I have in following Him will enable me to stand persecutions. To back this up I should have the words of God quoted from the bible ready to justify our answers. I should not forget that the Holy Spirit who is in me will help me know what to say in the midst of persecution.

When the Holy Spirit is not in me, Satan can easily manipulate me. So the tendency is to join the sinners and keep Christ away so that I will feel secure with my sinful self. If I have this kind of mindset, I have not totally surrendered my sinful life to Christ. My attitude should be that wherever I am and whatever situation I am in Christ should be seen in me.

I need to improve all the four instructions of apostle Peter. I am asking God to fill me with the Holy Spirit because I cannot "defeat" my sinful self. Thanks for these lessons. It has given me so much knowledge in the Lord. It has strengthen my faith all the more. Praise the Lord!

• 1 month later...

I think as humans we sometimes want to lash back at those persecuting us when God expects us to be Christ-like at all times.

Because it can sometimes be easier to do the wrong thing rather than suffer the persecution.

I am facing a situation at this very moment which calls for all of these instructions. But, I think for me the most needed would be in my heart setting apart Christ as Lord.

• 5 months later...

I think it is hard for us to witness because we are being hurt, we are in pain, and we have taken our eyes off the Lord. It is easy in tough places because we have fear and we start to compromise the word of God. I think for me it is "be ready to give an answer". I know in talking to people and they start asking questions, I will always pray ford the Holy Spirit to give me the words. I don't want the answer to be my answer, I want the Lord's answer. I want my words to be his words.