JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. To Know God

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? Because a relationship is based on trust. And trusting God is necessary or we won't follow through with the hard things God will be asking us to do.

Yes Developing a relationship with God comes before seeking to hear God's voice.

How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? By
Hearing his voice is part of a conversational relationship. Hearing God's voice flows out of a relationship. It is wed to our life of prayer before God. Ref: When Jesus moves beyond feeding multitudes with bread, and speaks of people eating his own flesh and drinking his blood, "many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him." Those who stayed, remained because of a relationship, a receptivity to Jesus. "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:66-68).

Why are we commanded to "press in" to know the Lord?
First and foremost, our goal must be knowing God himself and the power of His resurrection.

How does Paul's passion for a relationship with God inspire you?
By desiring to give up his own life in search for the riches of Christ's glory. He would stop at nothing to finding or seeking the Lord. He would rather die if it took death to know God. Ref: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:10-14)

• 5 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice?

Christianity is all about relationship and it is not a religion. Any relationship grows by spending time with the other. To grow in relationship with the Lord we need to spend time with Him. And that’s what our Father in heaven desires of us. To have a relationship with us!!! Even the thought that the sovereign Lord who created me loves to have relationship with me baffles me. Hearing His voice is only part of the relationship.

How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship?

As communication is vital in any relationship, hearing His voice greatly benefits in the growing of our relationship with Lord. 

Why are we commanded to “press in” to know the Lord?

Living in this material world, our senses could be tuned in to the things of the world which would take our focus away from the Lord. Fish of the sea and birds of the air are not comfortable in an environment that is not suitable for them, whereas we, spiritual beings, made in the image of God become more comfortable in the things of the world rather than the things of God. So we need to press on, strive, take effort in order to know Him more. Knowing Him intimately is how we grow in Him. Our life on earth is not sufficient to know Him, neither eternity is sufficient to know our Eternal God, who is the Other, Incomprehensible God. So, we should take every opportunity and press on to know Him more than we do earlier. Not to know about Him but to know Him.

How does Paul’s passion for a relationship with God inspire you?

Paul, almost towards the end of His ministry says, “ that I might know Him...” We might think that Paul who had written so many epistles had reached a greater intimacy with the Lord. But he says I need to know Him. Same thing happened with Isaiah. One in previous chapters who was saying woe to them, when he saw the Lord realized his spiritual bankruptcy and says woe to me. If these stalwarts wanted to know the Lord more, how much more we need to press in know the Lord more. 

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? Why are we commanded to "press in" to know the Lord? How does Paul's passion for a relationship with God inspire you?

Desire for relationship with God is more important than seeking to hear His voice as the relationship is based on trust. If trust is not there, it is difficult to obey and do the things God desires from us. Strong relationship builds strong communication and trust.

As we see in eg of Samuel when he was serving at the temple, though he heard the voice of God, he could not discern or know. As there was no relationship with God established yet. It was his early days of his walk with the Lord. Later, we see Samuel known as Seer (see - er of things of God), and was able to discern what exactly God was intending and desiring, to do His will.

We are commanded to press on to know the Lord so that we are able to run the race to win the prize. Paul was so passionate in his walk with the Lord and he wanted to know the Lord more to lay hold of that for which Lord Jesus had laid hold of him. 

Paul’s passion for desire to know Him inspires me tremendously as He was so convinced that knowing Him is the greatest of all things on the earth. For him to live is Christ and die is gain as he knew nothing greater compared to knowing the Lord in his life. He would give up anything for Christ and that zeal and passion kept him to finish the good fight of faith against all the odds that came up.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? Why are we commanded to “press in” to know the Lord? How does Paul’s passion for a relationship with God inspire you?

A desire for a relationship with God is more important than seeking to hear his voice because desire creates relationship a knowing of that which one yearns for.  A need that must be satisfied.  This desire to have a relationship wth God to know Him more intimately, leads us on to find out more about him, to know his character, what He love and likes and abhors.  Developing this kind of relationship is an essential foundation to build on for the trust between us and God to grow.  When we trust God because we know ( yāda ) Him we can leverage this relationship (based on trust) when it is not clear what or where God may lead us to; in what we perceive is the dark or hidden path (unknown - to us).  The hard things God may ask us to do.

Hearing God's voice contributes to the relationship becuase after a relationship and trust has been established, we are no longer reliant on the novelty of the hearing God's voice as it relates to our perceived special position or relationship that one might believe this confers.  Hearing God's voice just adds some more colour to vibranccy of colour that already existed in the relationship as opposed to being the feature wall.

We are commanded to press on to know the LORD because within us there should be a sense of urgency to build a relationship with the LORD.  Akin to taking hold of a prize.  A prize which Jesus has given to me with the riches of this prize something that we can take hold of as we strain (it'll be a sttetch) towards heaven.

Paul's passion for a relationship with God does insipre me, becuase it enables me to view the journey as a race, a journey which we must take becasue the prize is worthwhile.  The prize is a richer, moe rewarding relationship with the LORD God knowing Him and the joys that exist in a wholehearted trusted realtionship within his presence.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? It prepares us for an intimate relationship with God to be readily sensitized to recognize Him  in the various ways that He chooses to communicate with us. It fortifies our trust and reliance on Him. And trusting God is necessary or we won't follow through with the hard things God will be asking us to do. How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? As part of the conversational relationship it adds to the receiving part of our communication with God. Why are we commanded to "press on" to know the Lord? So that we can develop such a passionate relationship with God it becomes our first nature and we can have such a faith that we know He will respond to us. How does Paul's passion for a relationship with God inspire you? It drives me to want to emulate him. Paul remained so steadfast in his passion to follow Christ that despite the hardships of prison, ship wrecks and torture he pressed on to the goal that God had set for him. My trials and tribulations are as nothing compared to Paul’s. Like him I want to focus on forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. I want to press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly price….

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? The relationship defines acceptance of love and trust. If you're faithful in your love for God, you will trust him to do what is right for you. With this, you can use God's voice to confirm things that are in your heart.

How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? Hearing God speak to you will confirm things that may have not been clear.

Why are we commanded to “press in” to know the Lord?  This is basically telling people to pursue a relationship with God by actively engaging with Him for counsel, support and love. Don't wait for God to come to you, go to God and keep communicating with him.

How does Paul’s passion for a relationship with God inspire you? He is able to leave his life behind and reach for a life that is one with Jesus in Heaven. You know that the Paul's faith in Christ was above that of all things on earth. That is selfless faith and trust.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice? How does hearing his voice contribute to the relationship? Why are we commanded to “press in” to know the Lord? How does Paul’s passion for a relationship with God inspire you?

Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice?

A desire for a relationship with God is more important than seeking to hear his voice because it is in the relationship that we build trust in Him and that trust will lead us to blindly follow through with all of God's commands.

Hearing God's voice flows out of a relationship.  Jesus said, "My sheep knows my voice."  We learn His voice with continuous relationship.

We are commanded to "press in" to know the Lord so that we would learn of Him as He reveals Himself to us.  Our strength is found in Him.

The Apostle Paul's passion for a relationship with God inspires me to seek God more passionately so that I too can have a ministry that bears that mark of Christ; to go where He send me and do as He bids me.  To be completely sold out for Him.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A close relationship endorses trust. When God speaks and gives us instructions, it may be that ii is something we won't want to do with every fibre of our being. Note Jonah; the man heard very well as he must have had this close bond. What he didn't want was God to show Nineveh any mercy. According to him, they didn't deserve any. According to God, they didn't know one hand from the other. Jonah was tuned in alright but thought he knew better but couldn't see beyond his nose. A close relationship will give one the grace to go beyond one's own feelings and trust that God ways are higher than our ways as are his thoughts.

Hearing His voice endorses the relationship causing obedience and humility no matter the cost - like Jesus who did nothing without his father's instructions. 

There are many eternal consequences to either having this relationship or not. Pressing in to know the Lord has eternal ramifications not only for ourelves but also for thoseGod is asking us to help. Better to know Him than not. Not to mention short and long term earthy consequences.

Paul pressed on inspite of all the punishment and inspite of the thorn in hisflesh. He made no deal with God. If you do this I'll fo that. He pressed on to strengthen the relationship because He seemed to understand the nature of God sometimes better than the disciples. Also to have this relationship gives one the grace that during the race one is never alone and it will help confirm ones path step by step to do the will of God even if one did have fear

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A desire for a relationship with God is more important than seeking God's voice because if one has a relationship with Him then it follows that he/she will hear His voice. Jesus spent time in prayer, talking to His Father,  building that relationship with God, and He heard from Him all the time.

Hearing God's voice contributes to our relationship with Him.  Hearing His voice increases our trust and builds our faith in Him.

We are commanded to "press in" to know the Lord because if we do then "He will come to us as the showers ..." His word says if we seek Him we will find Him.

Because of Paul's passion for a relationship with God he kept in constant communication with Him and so was able not only to hear Him but he obeyed His every command regardless of the outcome or consequence to himself. That inspires me.  I want to have that same passion so that I will obey in spite of, regardless of, despite what may happen, I want to be obedient and leave the rest to Him.

• 1 month later...

Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice?

A relationship with Father gives us peace and comfort knowing that He is in control of all things, life and death.

A relationship gives us an understanding of who He is and How he works in our lives and the lives of others.

A relationship with the Father gives us the peace and comfort we need in this dying world.

Father likes us to talk to Him just as we would talk to our earthly Father, telling Him our struggles, joys and desires.

When we go through lifes trials, a relationship with Father increases our faith, as we trust in Fathers will for our lives. I call it Gods School, where we learn Godly lessons, then we get put to the test what we have learned , and to see if we can apply to life what we have read in the lesson plan. When we ask for patience, we dont just get it, we are faced with people and situations that try our patience, so that Father can help us work on it. Graduation day is amazing as you look back on where He has brought you from, and what He has brought you through. Its amazing ????

When we believe that nothing happens unless Father authorises it to happen, we know and have faith that things are happening for Fathers plan to be fulfilled in our lives.

Having an intimate relationship with Father helps us to mature in Christ Jesus, to become more like Him.

Father knows what we need when we need it. He talks just at the right time when we need to hear from Him. We might be going through a difficult time, but He promises to be there for us directing our path, whether that be talking or nudging, it gives us that added sense of security, just when we need it.

So that we can know Him and trust His ways. So that He can replenish us, renew our faith, hope and strength as we continue on our journey.

Paul is all about Christ, Christ is his life. He has given up everything worldly to follow Him, and trusts only in Him. Even so Paul in honest and humble in pointing out that he still has a way to go, that he is not perfect, but is striving to be, as Christ is perfect.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 7 months later...

I understand the distinction between being and doing, than God wants us to BE (in relationship with him) and not keep asking what we are to do (our mission). 

Relationship is hard. It's difficult to know God as a person. Almost impossible, really. To have any sense of who Jesus is is to miss his divinity, which seems off-limits to us.

I am too focused on what I should be doing, my calling and purpose. I need to refocus on being, on my relationship with Him.

If I heard his voice -- not yet, but I'm hopeful -- I think that would go a long way toward making me "feel" as if I were in relationship. That relationship would grow if I could only hear his voice and converse with him, as I do with people in my life. My prayers are like these blog entries -- one-way.

I understand the distinction between being and doing, than God wants us to BE (in relationship with him) and not keep asking what we are to do (our mission). 

Relationship is hard. It's difficult to know God as a person. Almost impossible, really. To have any sense of who Jesus is is to miss his divinity, which seems off-limits to us.

I am too focused on what I should be doing, my calling and purpose. I need to refocus on being, on my relationship with Him.

If I heard his voice -- not yet, but I'm hopeful -- I think that would go a long way toward making me "feel" as if I were in relationship. That relationship would grow if I could only hear his voice and converse with him, as I do with people in my life. My prayers are like these blog entries -- one-way.

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Having a personal relationship with the Lord helps me to recognize what is His voice. I know the character of God and therefore know when something does or doesn’t line up with His character 

• 9 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14)

Having a relationship with God enables you to bask in His presence and possibly actually feel or sense what he desires you to do.  When we have a relationship with someone that is worth anything, we try automatically to do things that will delight that person or bring pleasure to the person.  So also the relationship with God, should enable us to do what He would have us do and also draw us closer to Him.  The more you know Him the closer you want to get to Him.  

With the relationship comes the Voice, the recognition of the Voice.

It is easy to just be part of a group and still be on the outskirts. Your'e part but not really part.  Only once you contribute of yourself and vice versa can a trust be built.  So you can speak, hear each other but NO RELATIONSHIP.  Only with the trust, the pressing in, comes the relationship.  So it is important to press in (don't give up, don't be half-hearted), be real.

• 5 months later...

The desire of having a personal, intimate relationship with God is important because it indicates the love you have for God, it shows that you wholeheartedly trust God and will not do anything without enquiring from Him no matter how small you may think the matter is.

Hearing His voice contributes to the relationship because when you honor, revere, trust and love God, you will always be anxious to listen to Him and looking forward to the conversations that you have with Him even hearing that small still voice. It is a relationship where one acknowledges that God is the Only true way and therefore whatever He says will come to pass.

We are to press in to know Him because firstly, He is our Father. Every child who is obedient listens to his/her when he speaks and therefore as His children, we must always be eager to listen to what our Father has to say to us be it an instruction, command or advice. 

Paul's passion for a relationship with God inspires me in that all that God spoke to Paul came to pass, be it the hardships, the trials and tribulations and everything that Paul went through was just as God spoke to him. I get inspired because God assured Paul that "His Grace was sufficient for Him." That's all that Paul needed. The assurance that God will be with him wherever he went as long as he was obedient to the call of God. I feel comforted that when God assigns me to do something, He has already levelled the plain field. All that I need to do is to obey knowing that He will neither leave me nor forsake me until the mission is accomplished. 

• 3 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 3:7; Hosea 6:3; Philippians 3:10-14) Why is a desire for a relationship with God more important than seeking to hear his voice?
You have to know who He is and why you need to hear His voice before you can seek to hear it. Without a relationship with Him what would you even expect to hear from Him. 

You grow so much more closer to Him. You trust Him and know that He cares for you. That He won’t lead you into trouble but out of it. Plus it gives you a better understanding of His word, you can now put a voice to what you’ve been reading.

So that we can know Him, the more you purse something the more you know about it. That’s why we run after God to know Him and His ways more. 

Paul is inspiring because he came from persecuting the Saints to being one of them. His life shows me that all people have the opportunity to change. Also inspires me to keep my eye on the prize which is God. I desire to know Him more and more each day. To live my life according to His plans and so that His death won’t have been in vain. 

• 5 months later...

Q 2 You cannot  spend your time seeking to hear a voice  of someone you don't know or don't care about . Therefore spending time with lGod  through prayer , worthing and reading His word enables us to hear God

Ability to God’s  voice give assurety  of the relationship  we have with God and strengththens our faith

We should make it  our responsibility  to press on seeking God and stays in Him no matter what our situations 

• 1 month later...

To first know God more intimately, to understand more deeply.

Hearing Gods voice directs us closer to the path he wants to lead us.

To keep pursuing him to know him better.

To never give up, to always keep learning.