JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Resisting Temptations to Sin

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them? Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

1. We live in a decadent society.  When you show non-participation in the sins of others, they feel as if you are judging them. In order to make themselves feel good they try to shame you into sinning with them. I believe misery loves company.

2. Lack of self-constraint will cause us to fall. We must stand for the truth. Some people want to comprise, but that is not of God.

3. We must exercise self-control, so that we can see the will of God worked out in our lives. We must be determined to serve God with our whole heart and soul.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-Christians do not serve God.  They serve their own desires.  They are taken up with the many distractions of this evil world.  They try to get non-Christians to sin with them because they do not know the consequences of their actions.  They do not think that they are sinning, only enjoying the vices of the world in which they live. 

We are tempted to do so, because we tend to be weak and not truly committed to God. 

To prevent this, they have to focus on what God wants them to do; they have to pray and read their bible.

(4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

When non-Christians hear that we are professing Christians, they feel that we are saying we are perfect, better than them, holier than them. Could be it gives them the satisfaction of knowing that we are just as bad as them or no different. Seems like they want to see us fail or err so it can make them feel good. At the same time, I believe they are blinded to their sin, and therefore don't see anything wrong with themselves or with the choices they make.

Christians that continue to hang out with non-believers will encounter many temptations. We tend to want to be accepted, to be part of the group, to belong and so we might have the urge to compromise or give in to temptation. Sometimes, we start off innocently by accepting an invitation to lunch, a party, a drink(pop), and then before we know it, it becomes a habit. Like they say, be careful with our habits because they become our character.  That's why it's very important to cover ourselves with God's shield of protection. We need to abide in Christ, be filled with the Holy Spirit and never put our guards down.Praying before we start a new day, reading the word of God. Doing these things on a daily basis we help us resist temptation.

People won't think their sins are very bad when you join them.  We're tempted because we want to have the crowd's attention and approval.

We can resist by just saying "no" and then setting up an acceptable activity to share with them--one conducive to sharing Jesus with them eventually.

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

non-Christians try to get you to sin with them because your righteous stand makes them feel uncomfortable and Evil. If they are able to draw you down to their level then they feel that you were just a goody-goody.

everyone would likes and desires to be accepted so we try to conform by doing what everybody else is doing.

we can resist doing what the crowd is doing by praying to God and asking for strength to live a righteous life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2004 at 9:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

Non-Christians try to get us to sin along with them because if we condone what they are doing then we are confirming that we are not true Christians.

We are tempted to go along with them because we do not wish to be out cast from their group.

We can resist their temptation by not participating along with the non-Christians.  

• 2 weeks later...

Because we did not stabil to ressist with our weapon in this Situation. But now we study more to walk with our weapon is Jesus Christ everywhere and non christians heap abuse on us.

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them? Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

Q. Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them?

A. So that you will belong

Q. Why are we tempted to do so?

A. So that they will not accuse you for not belonging

Q. How can we resist this temptation?

A. By depending on God to give us the power to resist

Because they-nonChristians have other many Gods, so their Gods can do many People believe they are  Gods too. Sometimes we do like them because we live in the world together.

Es Christian I must be careful to learn from past Situation tempted. I Need my God to block every temptation so i  take time to pray and think about HIM is the only one God in heaven-hearth, HE is my kingdom, noone like my God-Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2004 at 10:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Non Christians try to get you to sin with them because they fail to want to know that you are in agreement with what they are doing, with their lifestyle.  Sometimes Christians are tempted to do so when they want to be seen as one of the crowd, not wanting to appear different.  We can resist this temptation by living in the Spirit.  

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 

Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited,

provoking and envying one another." (Gal. 5:24-26)

• 6 years later...

This question is personalized. I associate with mostly non-Christians including my family. They are, for the most part, moral people so it is not so much at the behavioral level that they try to get me to sin. What bothers them about me is my faith. They mock God, the church and believers and do everything they can to make me “rational and sensible again.”

Sinning in the mind is far more insidious than sinning with the body. Though it’s relatively easy to stop drinking or stay away from gross-acting people, it is harder to control doubt, fear and a nagging sense that God has abandoned or rejected me. It’s difficult to understand why there is so much evil and suffering in the world and how a good God wants this to be the case (otherwise He would have done something about it.) For me, the persistence of evil is a constant faith-challenge … at times, even a faith-stopper. Forcing myself to continue with the studies alone in the morning has kept my faith constant and even growing. I have far, far to go …

The temptation to sin in the mind with doubt and fear is best counteracted by study, as I said above, and by  associating with a charismatic church. Charismatics explicitly do things that are above/beyond human understanding, such as speak in tongues. I do think this is an antidote to the hyper-rationalism with which some people approach God, including myself.