JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Trial and Error

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? 

Discerning the difference in the voices to know which one is from God is confusing while getting started. In this process, person is bound to make mistakes initially, but will learn to discern the voice of God by experience and continuous fellowship with our God. 

Mistakes are part of the process and can be minimized. The solid food is for those mature Christians who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. The more you train to distinguish, the more better and clear we hear from God. what we hear from God is the real thing. Like a radio that is tuned to the right frequency to catch the clean sound waves, we must tune right to the Holy Spirit who causes us to catch the clean and right voice of God.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

A person will have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice because immaturity preceds maturity. It's through right practice we can make progress and permanence in right understanding and behaviour.

Mistakes are part of the process; this can be from God because allows us to learn to hear his voice.  In order to do so we must be able to know when he is speaking and when he is not.  Only by know the difference can we apply His will to our lives and follow him with certainty.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? There are several voices out there cluttering our minds and we have to be washed clean of them to learn to discern the voice of God. The unlearning of the old and the learning of the righteous voice takes time and mistakes happen because when we are born again, we receive justification; but our spirituality grows gradually from our immaturity as our grasp of the scriptures is still hazy. If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? God is an understanding Father. Through Jesus Christ, He has allocated the Holy Spirit to us to guide and counsel us through the process of sanctification. God appreciates our imperfections, but He loves the exercise of our free will in the direction of earnestly seeking Him, obeying Him and determining to stay the Christian course. As we patiently learn to interpret Scripture well and to distinguish the good from evil before Satan ensnares us, then we are blessed with the discernment of God’s voice.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

A person will have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice because we grow up in a world with many sources of voices.  You have to contend with the voices of the world, your flesh, your conscience and the devil.  There is ample opportunities for a person to make a mistake in identifying God's voice.

If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

If mistakes are part of the process, it can still be of God because He gives us the Word of God to use as a reference to know Him, His word, His will and His voice.

• 5 months later...

Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice?

To decern right from wrong, what is Fathers will and what is not. The enemy is always there waiting to temp us down a different path, to trip us up.

We have been living in our flesh for so long, with a worldly mindset, it takes a while to understand the enemies schemes, and to build up our armour to resist his attacks, and harmful worldly desires.

Father already knows our weaknesses, and He is working it all out for for those who trust Him.

Mistakes help us to mature, they build up our spiritual muscles. We might get caught out a few times, even with the same mistake, but eventually we realise it for what it is, and eventually turn away from it.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

Heb.  13For everyone who lives on milk is still an infant, inexperienced in the message of righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained their *senses  to distinguish good from evil.  * 145 aisthētḗrion (a neuter noun derived from aio, "perceive, discern through the senses") – properly, "the organ of sense" (BAGD), emphasizing the result of sensory experience (sensation) – i.e. moral feeling to know what is right or wrong in God's eyes (used only in Heb 5:14 and in the plural).

God our Father KNOWS that children, soldiers, ambassadors, bride, body: Needs to be Trained in order to develop a ongoing walk of Righteousness. In Step with our Training Director:  Holy Spirit.  

Rom. 14:23 23But the one doubting has been condemned if he eats, because it is not of faith; and anything that is not of faith is sin.e BLB. 

• 3 months later...

These are a couple of the most liberating paragraphs you've written, Sir. I was so worried that I'd get it wrong (and still am) but you're saying, here, that I WILL GET IT WRONG. I should expect to make mistakes. It's okay to hear wrongly and then hone my ear for the next time God speaks.

Even though I'm asking God for confirmation for a big decision that, in my mind, I cannot get wrong, perhaps I can get it wrong. 

Let say I screw up and hear God incorrectly. My heart was open to whatever he wanted, but somehow, my own desires stifled the small voice of the Holy Spirit. Then what? I start again: I ask for forgiveness and ask for him to put me back on the path. This seems terribly painful, but perhaps that's what the Christian life is ... a series of mistakes and corrections, each mistake (hopefully) a big smaller and subsequent correction a bit less jarring.

When I don't hear God, or refuse to hear Him, because of some persistent sin, then his voice gets softer. In my case, my persistent sin is my mind. My mind wanders into all sorts of places it shouldn't be, not evil places but away from the present circumstances, which are very difficult. Rather than face these circumstances squarely, I meander back to the past or to an imaginary future. This is wrong. I know it is wrong. I have felt God's nudging in this regard and have often ignored it. I've noticed that when I ignore Him, His nudgings get less potent: when I obey, my relief is palpable.

BUT ... the pain of obedience sometimes outweighs the fear of losing his nudgings. That's the sad truth. I confess this.

So, sometimes I hear God wrongly because I'm sinning and just don't want to hear what he's saying to me. This deafness is sin, not a well-intentioned mistake. I wonder how often all of us  like to think of "mistakes" are sins: is the word "mistake" just a euphemism, for sin?

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14)

Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice?

When practicing anything , be it a language, a sport, to knit or sew or whatever it could be, we are bound to make mistakes. Mistakes make us learn something. The proverb learning from ones mistakes is real, unless one is stubborn and does not want to learn, then they can lead to our downfall and not our progress.

So too we learn to discern God's voice in the midst of our day to day living.  The more we dwell in / on His Word, the more we learn to decipher His Voice  day by day.

• 5 months later...

As people we make mistakes because we are clouded by a whole range of matters. We have God's Word which is always the truth, the world has its own ways of doing things and mostly under pressure to please our peers and not forgetting that the devil also wants us to distract us from hearing the voice of God. It is therefore important to ascertain and ask for confirmation if God has assigned you to carry out an assignment.

God allows it because He expects us to be rooted in His Word. When we daily spend time with God and establish a personal, intimate relationship with God through reading His Word and prayer, we are bound to hear Him but that does not exempt us from making mistakes. God allows us to make those mistakes so that we can learn from them.

• 3 weeks later...

It's natural to make mistakes. I'm the process of learning anything mistakes happen. We just learn from those mistakes and get better and what we are trying to learn. 

We are human vessels that God flows through

Human beings are in a fallen world and are not perfect so the communication may not come through perfectly all the time. God understands this. So it's something that we have to live with in this life and just get better and better at hearing God's voice.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

We have to have our mind renewed in order to understand and retain the word of God. So the things of this world must be replaced with God word and ways.

If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

We aren’t made perfect by ourselves, we are made perfect in Him. And because we live in a world of sin and we carry our flesh with us we are bound to make mistakes until you are truly lead and live by Gods word. An even then we will have mishaps, His grace will get us through it.

• 5 months later...

Q.2. Sometimes  we will think that we're  heard God speaking to us , yet it is not more especially  in the early stages where we are still new and haven't been accustomed  to His voice then well make mistakes

God is always speaking , but requires  spiritual  maturity  for us to discern voices we hear , and know when it is God speaking