JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discerning Voices

On 11/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

Examples of the voice of the flesh - **** and desires might sound like; the desire to consume more than I need, in areas of life.  To hard up and want more and more.  'go on, just one more it would be rude not, just a taste'.

Similarly, our lusts can operate in a similar way, the **** of the eayes to desire beauty can take on various forms staying into unhelpful thoughts manifest in actions that spawn addictive bahaviours.

The voice of the world might sounds like the need for power, to control one's kingdom and damain in the areanas we find ourselves in. To hoard and gather more food into our barns and make that seem it is the natural things to do.

The voice of the devil might sound like the justification of the behaviour and actions one has taken. 'we'll they did  it first so you have every right to take, steal, demand or take back etc.

After a fall, it may be - We'll you are a sinner, you can't go back to God like this best to have a period of purity, goodness or time earning his favour back before you return to him.  At which point the devil can continue to lure one away.

the knowledge of scripture is necessary for discernment of these voices because if we can identify them we will know who they are and can be armed with how to deal with them the right way.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like.

The voice of the flesh might sound like a Billionaire who craves to one more car to the dozens he already possesses. Just one more!

Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like.

The voice of the world might sound like the culture that says, 'what is right is wrong and what is wrong is right; that black is white and white is black; bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter'.

Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like.

The voice of the devil might sound like the voice of deception, spoken to Eve, “You won’t die!” the serpent replied to the woman. God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil.”

Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

Knowledge of the Scripture is necessary for discernment of these voices because it renews our minds, it teaches us the ways of the source of these voices in contrast to the true word and desire of God for our lives.

• 5 months later...

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like.

"Your husband is not tired, or stressed out, he does not find you attractive anymore, but that old boyfriend of yours, he thinks you're amazing and is waiting for you to contact him."

"So now you have that great high paying job, you can go on holiday twice a year, buy that expensive flash car you always wanted, and buy that big expensive house with all those fancy hands free gadgets. Dont worry about your depressed neighbour who is struggling to make ends meet, the one who keeps asking you for a loaf of bread, that's their problem, they can get help from the government for their basic needs. Go enjoy your fancy life, you have earned it, you deserve it."

"That person just did you wrong, you need to get them back for what they did."

The knowledge of scripture tells us how to, and how not to act in all aspects of life. Tells use how Father wants us to live, what is right and wrong in His sight, how He wants us to treat others, regardless of how we are treated.

When we have a knowledge of scripture we know how to react to these voices, and to decern if the voices we hear are from our Father or not.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 7 months later...

Voice of the flesh -- When I feel that death is preferable to living; when I feel that the trial I am now enduring, though temporary, will never end, that this is it ... life is over.  When I feel God wants me to live a small, insignificant, dull life, one that is small and punishing. My flesh screams for a meaningful and big life. My flesh hates the life I'm forced to live now. My flesh doesn't sing in prison, like Paul, but screams to get out.

Voice of the world -- When I want recognition for what I can do and don't want to work anonymously or in the dark. The world's voice, to me, sounds like awards and public honours.

Voice of the devil -- When I want power, to associate with a particular group of people, to have great influence. Sometimes Satan tells me that I should be with them because I could use my influence for the good, that I could be a little light in a place with no light, but I know this is false. t would be throwing away my calling and life.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16).

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like.

It will reveal to us or point out to us something that we desire. (in an unhealthy way).  It will not be the same for everyone.  For one it might be ******* after a companion, be it opposite gender or same gender, in an unhealthy way.  For another it is ******* after possessions.  Always having the latest in electronic equipment or the latest in the weird fashions of the day. Keeping up with the proverbial Joanses.   For another again it can be craving food. An obsession of food.  It could be work, cars, acclaim from your superior, etc.

The voice of the world, would again point out to the fact that others are doing it it must be right so you can also do it.  This could be something you might have difficulty with deciding if you should take part in them,  eg., yoga, dancing, drinking, painting yourself, having an abortion, tattooing, drugging, going to discos etc.

The voice of the devil will of course strengthen the other voices and assure one that there is nothing wrong with it.  Will point out that the people taking part in activities you're  uncertain about are such wonderful people. Surely there can be nothing wrong with it.  So he often masquerades as an angel of light.

It is important to be grounded in Scripture and in prayer, so that when you doubt something you can immediately weigh it up with   .   .   .   is this glorifying God   .  .  .  would I be able to do this with Christ as my companion  ,   ,   ,   would Jesus be found taking part in this activity.

• 5 months later...

The voice of the flesh will push us into achieving thing for self-gratification. When a member of your family is in dire need of assistance and you see your neighbor driving a new car, instead of helping your family, you come with excuses and decide to buy a car and not listen to God's voice of putting others first. **** says if you want it you can have it no matter how much it can cost your life. Desire is when you start manipulating people in order to fulfil your cravings.

The voice of the world is when you allow people to manipulate you into doing things that are "done by people". When you go to parties and you know that you have not tasted alcohol or smoked, then you are told that every person who wants to enjoy life, must go through this stuff. Peer pressure plays a key role and that is why we have a number of young people behind bars not because they wanted to but they followed the world to make quick bucks. The world says it is fine to be who you want to be and not what God created you to be. If you feel as a man that you no longer want your body, do as you wish. 

The voice of the devil is when adults commit adultery and the world will say nobody sees you forgetting that God sees everything.  The devil will confuse believers even when it comes to issues of giving and tithing to say in the New Testament, there is no way where that is mentioned and that those scriptures were for the Old Testament. The devil confuses people through false prophets that are mushrooming all over and people who do not read the Word of God find themselves deceived. The Word of God says " Even the elite will be deceived".

It is necessary to read the Word of God daily so that you hear God speak to you. It is good to listen to preaching of the Word but it must not end there, assign time to spend with God and tell Him you want to hear Him and let Him reveal Himself to you. He is a just God and He will surely give you the desires of your heart if you allow Jesus Christ to be the centre of your life. 

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like.
The Flesh- Its ok to fornicate you have needs that need to be met, it’s not hurting anyone.

The World- Its ok to to like the same sex, God made you that way. Besides what type of God wouldn’t want you to be happy. God has evolved to the goings on of today and not back in the Bible time.

The Devil- You’ll feel so much better if you cut yourself, it’ll help to relieve the pain your having. Suicidal thoughts are ok, you don’t need help people just don’t get you.

Without the knowledge of God and His word. Being strong in your faith and knowing that life with Him is better than living a life to this worlds god, will lead you to death.

• 5 months later...

Q.3 The voice of the flesh would say 

There is no harm if i can take just one glass of alcohol

Voice of the world

God help those who help themselves

Voice of the devil

You've been praying long enough , but there is no change in your situation

Knowledge  of the scriptures is so important in that when such voices speak you will know what to respond to the voices using the scripture