JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discerning Voices

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

• 2 months later...

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like.

Wanting to look a certain way or having something that someone else has.

Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. 

Desires and ambitions.

"The whole world-system, based as it is on men's primitive desires, their greedy ambitions and the glamour of all that they think splendid, is not derived from the Father at all, but from the world itself." (1 John 2:16)

Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like.

1. Cravings of sinful man     2.  **** of his eyes     3.  Boasting of what he has and does.

Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

It shows the way Jesus wants us to be and keeps our lives in line with him.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

1. The flesh: You deserve to have all that you desire because you're Gods' child! Everyone else has....(whatever you don't have).

2. The world: Does God really love you when you're having to go through such hardship and pain? You're sure He's really there? Really who you think he is?

3.  The devil: I'll give you what you've been longing for but there's a little short cut to have it!  I gave a vivid example on Q2 of how Satan deceived me! Appearing as an angel of light, he promised me what he'd heard me talking about wanting, and which God had promised me, and said It's yours right now, then gave specifics, like the date, etc. I didn't realize it was Satan or a fallen angel until it was obviously a lie and I looked like a nut-job because I'd told family and friends. (I'm still waiting for what the Lord promised and it's been 30 years! He never fails to perform His Word, and He promised it will bring Him Glory, so I wait with patience!)

4. When we don't know the scriptures we're vulnerable to which ever voice speaks to us because there is no plumb line with which to measure it! Had I known the scriptures when the angel of light appeared to me I'd have been suspicious! I'd have recognized that what he "promised" was a compromise to what I'd been praying about and to what God had promised,  and that "It's yours right now", is not usually the way God works....waiting is God's great teaching method to train us in patience, perseverance, faith and trust in Him. I'd have recognized that the Lord never appeals to or appeases our flesh!

His Word reveals His character, and other voices will differ from His character and will appeal to our flesh, pride, impatience, greed, and ego.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like.

You deserve that new car or house because the neighbor down the street has one so go get one. 

If it tastes good eat it. It it feels good have some. 

Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

Just give me a try and I will give you what you really want. A knowledge of the Scriptures are necessary for discernment of them because you can easily confuse them for God's voice when you are just learning to discern His voice from them. You need to realize that God would never want to steer you towards sin because He wants the best for you. 

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

In my life, I have learned that the voice of the flesh will tell me that I ought to cave in and buy an expensive facial product to look younger or buy food that I crave. Even when I know that I will overeat or pig out on it.

The world will tell me through someone I know that it is all right to buy lottery tickets or to drink. That I should have some fun occasionally. But I know that this is not what God wants me to do. I know that I must keep myself pure and holy for Him.

The devil might tell me that it is all right to remain angry at someone or I should forget about obeying God because He has not come through for me. Yet I know that God’s timing is not like mine. I know that He wants only my good and that the devil wants me to fail.

If I do not know the scriptures well I could be tempted to sin and ruin my testimony. I would not know what God has in store for me or what He requires us to do. Without taking the time to read the Word I would be putty in the devil’s hands. But when I know scripture I can refute the devil and refuse to listen to him, my flesh, or the world. Like the apostle, Paul says in Ephesians 6 verse 17 the Word is our sword that we use to deflect the devil and guard against our flesh and the world.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16).

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like.

The voice tells us it's okay to go along with the crowd.  

The voice will tell you it's okay to eat a little more or it's okay to date that married man.

The voice of the devil might tell you that you don't have to go to church today, the weather is bad.

The Scriptures help to renew our minds.  We will get to discern God's voice from voice of the world, flesh and Satan.

Meet my need or I want this.

Everyone's doing it!

You  won't die.  Try this it tastes great!  You don't want to be the only one NOT doing this.  Think how respected you'll be!

You'll feel wonderful.

The Bible shows us the mind of God--He'll speak through it and lead us on right paths.  It can help us discern what is motivating us.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

Any of these three examples could sound alike although the nature of the voice could be different. Lusts of the flesh could include things like adultery, fornication, alcohol, drugs, power, etc., whereas a voice of the world might just be mainly material things. The voice of the devil might sound like any of the above. Satan is very sly and can adapt to the situation very quickly. Disguised as an angel of light (wolf in a sheepskin), he could go anywhere from telling you something like—"see them people over there? They smoke cigarettes and they’re healthy and strong, quit worrying”, or “you won’t get caught”, or “who will ever know”? Although only a few vague answers here I think that at-least the one about Satan makes it’s point. A good working knowledge of the scriptures will help in many ways because the Bible tells us what kind of person we should be and how we should act, and most of all, how to respond to such attacks. II Timothy 3:16 is a prime example of why we should study God’s Word.

(Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?  Anything that puts me n the throne of my heart is from the world, flesh or devil. I know immediately that it is wrong because it goes against what the Bible teaches.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Perhaps this one time, since no one will know. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Everyone else does it; its a God given activity after all. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. God doesnt really care all that much about you; otherwise why wouldt He speak to you all the time? Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices? How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word. 10 With all my heart I have sought Thee; Do not let me wander from Thy commandments. Thy word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against Thee.  Ps 119:9-11 Word of God Speak – MercyMe

Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices

The voice of the flesh would have you believe that you deserve that promotion, or that bonus, or that car, etc.. Who cares whether your wife gets mad, you deserve to go out drinking once in a while. You're not hurting anyone.

The voice of the world: You hear a song that reminds you of when you and your friends used to hang out at the clubs, drinking, and partying. Makes you want to pick up the phone and call your old friends.  

The voice of the devil: You are worthless. Nobody loves you. God won't forgive you this time. You might as well quit while you're ahead. You are a failure. The pain will go away if you kill yourself.

Knowledge of the Word of God is necessary because it is through the  word of God that you can discern whether the voices you are hearing come from God or not. You get to plug in to God, engage with him, so that you allow the word of God to renew your mind and your thoughts, thent it will become easier for you to hear His voice and know for certain it is Him.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. Why is a knowledge of the Scripture necessary for discernment of these voices?

1. Our flesh will tell us we can have sex sometimes so that we can be happy.  Lusts I couldn’t help it, I wanted it. Desires I will be promoted above Jim in three months even if I don't deserve to be.

2. If it feels good, do it. If you want it, get it. Do what you gotta do.

3. There is nothing wrong with having sex before marriage because you should try it to see if it’s good. Take the money when they are not looking.

4. Scriptures are necessary to help us discern God's voice from the voices of the world, the flesh, and the devil. D

1 Out in the world not living by God's word stealing ******* sexual desires never picking up the bible never listen to God's word. 

2 Doing things on Sunday that can be done through the week. 

3 Satan telling you its okay not to read the bible not true anyway.

Go out with your best friend wife he will never know. I could go on and on 

4 You have to know God and his word not to do all of the above. If you don't believe and know the word then you don't thing nothing wrong

I pray all will get to know our Lord Jesus and read his wonderful word and make heaven our eternal  living place with Jesus.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). 
Give an example of what the voice of the flesh - our lusts and desires - might sound like. 

“The Lotto is paying an enormous amount tomorrow. You need to buy a 100 tickets immediately and thereby not miss out on this chance”. 
This is the voice of flesh – a **** and desire for material things; for coveting and accumulating things. 
“Why go to church. You don’t need to go to church, they are only after your money. Besides Jesus is not relevant today. That all belongs to some ancient myth”.
This is the voice of the world – wanting me to conform to this world's values,
“Look at what you have done in your life. The house and cars you possess. The successful business you own. 
All part of your own making: your superior business brain. What a success story”. 
This is the voice of the devil – pride in our achievements and possessions – an obsession with one’s status or importance. Not giving our Lord any credit. 
Without Scripture we would not know the truth, and would not be able to differentiate between truth and untruth. It is our safeguard against false teaching and is our source of wisdom and knowledge – equipping us for life. Only by comparing the voices we hear against Scripture will we be able to discern the truth.  

On 28/11/2017 at 8:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are envious, or **** after another women or are filled with pride and self-righteousness - these are the voices of our flesh. The voice of the world continually tells us that we should do things in our own strength, that we don't need God. The voice of the devil will tempt us to do what is not Godly, To ignore what God is telling us and do what we want to do. Scripture should be our guiding rule. It is all laid out there for us. 

For example you were doing something bad to somebody but no excuse, next time olso the same Problem.

Or you said you don't have time to read the bible, and you make plan to go Shopping. 

Or you said you go everyday to work, and sunday you nicht time for relax with Family no Church.

Because  all of us must be proud of our faith, Show us many miracles, to Chance our mind es is garanty to eternity life.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh -- our lusts and desires -- might sound like. Spending your entire life in rebellion against God.

Give an example of what the voice of the world might sound like. "The whole world-system, based as it is on men's primitive desires, their greedy ambitions and the glamour of all that they think splendid, is not derived from the Father at all, but from the world itself." (1 John 2:16). There is a strong pull in us to conform to the values and standards of the culture around us.

Give an example of what the voice of the devil might sound like. When you followed the ways of this world and of the rule of the kingdom of the air. Gratifying the craving our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Adopting standards of morality and behavior held by the world around us, following its thoughts and desires.

i. loving the world with anything in it;

ii. The cravings of sinful man, the **** of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does.

A knowledge of the scripture is necessary for discernment of these voices because it renews our mind. God’s written word becomes indispensable to us to retrain us and help us discern the new way from the old.

The bible has a cleaning power to those who are “washed” by reading it. It is designed to train us in what is true righteousness is, so that we can discern. It transforms and renews our mind. The scripture is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, and equipped for every good work. This is also because the word of God is the only way we can judge what we think God is saying to us. If you read the word, you learn what pleases God.

• 2 weeks later...

Flesh - what I want, or need, or feel I deserve, or wish I had, or constantly dream about.  Gives me great pleasure physically.  Where I would not have to exercise self control.

World - to accumulate (greed), to have, to delight in, to have what others don't, to fulfill an emotional need, to have boasting rights, to be considered important, significant by other people.  It works against generosity and service to others.

Satan - Get it now, God would want you to have it (red flag - God has made all good things available to me if I ask), God does not care for you, will not come through for you, anything not in line with scripture, the Christian life is too hard, you are not good enough, need to work harder, what is the point, ....you deserve it.

Scripture is like medicine.  Vitally necessary to correct the mind, attitude and heart from the stain of sin, past sin, a sinful life and a sinful world.  Finally, developing an immunity to the ruler of this sinful world.  Scripture is where you start, and scripture is where you go everyday as part of "training yourself in righteousness"  Scripture is also like an intimate letter from a loved one, telling you the secrets if their heart.  

A. The voice of the flesh may urge us to commit a sin- sexual urge to commit adultery;

the voice of the world may say to us, everyone is doing it, so  go ahead and do it too.

The devil may talk  to us that we should go ahead and commit a sin because God will not really punish us the way we think etc.

But if we study and know the Bible, we will be able to see at a glance that all these voice are contrary to the written Word of God. SO HELP ME LORD TO KNOW YOUR WRITTEN WORD

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.) Flesh - Oh, you can go ahead and eat 2 or 3 donuts,  whatever you want, it won't hurt, you know your want it. Our flesh craves it, but it is not God's will, I am putting my will first (gluttony). The flesh is in control, not the Spirit.

b.) World - You can go ahead and live with someone before marriage, there is nothing wrong with in, practically everyone is doing it, young people, old people.

c.)devil - All the above and much more are influenced by the devil. He wants to kill, steal and destroy you.

d.)  Because the Word of God keeps us on track, we need to mediate on the Word, day and night.  When we do, we know the truth and will be able to discern where to voice is coming from.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Fornication, the desire to have money more than faith in God who is able to provide money, ******* after women, adulteries, abortions, etc.  The world is evil Jesus Christ said it himself the works of this world are evil.  So the voice of the world would want material possessions how rich one is.  Who does a person know, how many friends.  Who’s their friends??  The devil has a deep voice he wouldn’t say anything nice but pure evil, he would use foul language.  He would blaspheme God, he would lie, he would threaten oneself.  Because it’s a matter of life or death.  The Holy Bible is the truth and is a sharp weapon against the devil and all demons.  They know the truth but they lie because they are evil.  We need to know the Bible as a guide on how to live life, what to do and what not to do.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The flesh speaks of lusts like material possessions, pride, envious of what other people have, sexual desires, lying, swearing.  The world would sound like everyone else does it so I can do it as well.  But God doesn’t compare us to one another He judges us from our heart, weather it is good or evil.   The devil would sound like the world, go ahead do it everyone else is doing it.  Satan has set up traps all over the world to catch us in sin and therefore accuse us to God.  Satan accuses us day and night before our God.  The scripture is the truth a great weapon against evil that the devil cannot fight against.  Jesus Christ used the Word of God to rebuke him three times.  We need to know scripture to fight evil of all kind, know the Bible and live by it.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:16). Give an example of what the voice of the flesh – our lusts and desires – might sound like.

I have to see that or I have to eat that or I have to hear that or I have to go there... all ungodly things. When the senses dictate what is to be done in order to satisfy the flesh.

The voice of the world sugar coats sins into something more palatable. So in world’s eyes sin loses its intensity of sinfulness. So homosexuality becomes genetic abnormality etc. 

Devil is called accuser of our brethren. So any voice that’s accusatory and contradicting the word of God are examples of voice of the devil.

Knowledge of scriptures give us a biblical worldview and helps us to understand our situations through a biblical viewpoint. The more we familiarize ourselves with the word of God, it would be easier to recognize when God speaks to us. For His voice will never contradict His Word. And when we hear the voice of the flesh, the voice of the world or the voice of the devil it would be easier to recognize them for what they are. 

• 1 month later...

Voice of the flesh - our lusts and desires which are selfish 

When we are driven by desire to love the things of this world like cravings for food always, for the materialism of this world to fulfill desires, desire to have all things that looks teasingly nice to our eyes, greed to have more and more and not content. Always this will be contrary to the word of God and voice of God , which draws us away from God and His purpose for our lives.

Voice of the world - voice of others, peer pressure and world standards

The desire to follow the culture and pattern of this world which is contrary to the word of God and voice of God. New age movement and thinking that there is no sin and nothing is bad. That you are god and have all the power and control. Scripture clearly warns us not to conform to this world and the patterns of this world, rather be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Voice of the devil - temptations from satan and wrong guidance 

When you are tempted to do things that are contrary to God and His word, with a reward for doing the same. You are drawn farther away from God. This is what satan desires.

Scriptural knowledge is important. We have to feed on His word every day as our daily bread. The word of God cleans us, every scripture of God is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for  correction and for training in righteousness that the man of God be complete and equipped for every good work. Understanding of His word enables us test and approve God’s will for us which is good, pleasing and perfect. His word helps us discern between good and evil and causes us not to be moved by satan’s evil desires and purposes, rather to stand strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.