JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Not My Will

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will. What happens if we neglect to do this?

If we dont surrender our desires, we can misinterpret Fathers voice/answer because we have already made up our mind that we can have, do, say what we want, therefore not open to Fathers answer, to His will.

How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

When we hold onto to sin, we are shutting Father out of our lives, we know certain things are wrong, but our desires make them right for us, because they make us happy, or we are trusting more in our plans for our lives, so we carry on doing the things we should not be doing, then the voice of desire, sin, becomes louder to block out Fathers voice of disapproval and correction.

Just like Jonah, Father has a way of correcting us, and shifting us back onto the right path, if it is in His will to do so.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 7 months later...

At the end of your lesson, you said, Ralph, that although we're still imperfect, we should seek God's will and voice. It's interesting that hearing God's voice has morphed into knowing His will. Makes sense. 

I am willing to obey?  I believe I am. I pray similarly to you. I constantly TELL God what I think and desire, then tell Him I want to SUBMIT to whatever He wants for me, and then ASK Him what His will is in this regard. TELL ... SUBMIT ... ASK.

Your bottom line, though, is that I don't know God's will because I'm a horrible Christian. You may be right. I sin often, though not nearly as much as I used to ... the trend is good. At least I confess often, or when I think of something I've done or (mostly) thought. I like to think my confession cancels my sin -- but the blood of Christ cancels sins I haven't confessed, too.

I'm struggling with memories and thoughts, now, recurring ideas I can't quite shake. As I've prayed, the content of my thoughts has morphed. They're less longing for the good of the past, for the imaginative re-telling of the past, and more this-day sorta stuff. But they're still thoughts ungrounded to my current situation in life, my reality. They're not forward-looking. Perhaps, because of these thoughts/memories/longing I'll never be good enough to hear him? Is this what you're saying, that there's some marker or level of maturity I have not reached that is necessary for God to break through and speak to me?

This is what I'm hearing, that I'm too sinful, too proud, too unconfessed ... whatever. I don't measure up. I'm not good enough. 

So God remains silent as the tears drip down my face, as they are now.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7)

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will?

What happens if we neglect to do this?

If we do not recognize and surrender our desires first then we are likely to hear only what we want to hear instead of truly seeking and hearing God's will.  Holding onto sin can also distorts things. We can twist the voice we hear as okaying something which we see from Scripture is wrong.   Basing excuses on half a Scripture here and elsewhere and taking things completely out of context.  

• 5 months later...

When we surrender our desires we acknowledge that God is Omniscient and that He has our best interests at heart. He knows what is good for us and does not allow us to go through disappointments when we do not succeed in what we want to achieve. It is therefore important to ask God if it is His will but at times were are impulsive and do but when the going gets tough, we remember that we did not consult God in the decisions that we made.

We need to repent and ask for forgiveness for not allowing God to be our Sovereign Ruler. Allow that God's good, pleasing and perfect will to prevail in our lives and in so doing, God will direct every step we take.

Sin will hinder our prayers from reaching God. It is therefore important to always confess our sins because there are times when we sin unconsciously so and when we realize that we have sinned, go back and ask for forgiveness. We need to avoid sin and always ask the Holy Spirit to help us not to continue crucifying Christ over and over again. When we wholeheartedly seek God, we will be able to hear Him. 

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will.

It’s necessary to recognize our desires and then surrender them to God because often our desires are for things of this world. We know that God’s aren’t and they are meant for Him to get the glory, His desires are way better than anything we could ever imagine.

What happens if we neglect to do this?

You will continue to come to Him in prayer never getting an answer because you won’t be able to hear him. Your going after what you want and it’s not about our wants. It’s about His desires for our life. 

Sin will have you thinking that your actions and desires are ok. 

• 5 months later...

Q.4

Sometimes  our desires are not what God wants of us , therefore surrendering them to God will make them to fit what God wants of us as we might find that God changes what we desired with what He desire of us

We might find ourselves going astray and at times being destroyed  by what we thought we needed when it was nit God's  desire for us

Sin hinders us from hearing God , even the small nudges He gives us we cannot hear because sin is clouding our judgement