JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Not My Will

• 2 months later...

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will.

When we ask something of God we must be able to obey what He is telling us.

What happens if we neglect to do this?

Our desires will come through instead of God's desire.

How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

We are prone to justify them.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will. What happens if we neglect to do this? How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

1. Our desires may be motivated by the flesh and totally against the will of God for our life.  In surrendering them, the Lord may change them to fit His plan for us, or He may change our desires completely!

2. If we fail to surrender them, they may continue to motivate us to pursue them to our detriment, and away from Him into a backslidden condition.

3. When we hold onto sin, preferring it to intimacy with Him we lose the ability and more than that, the desire to hear His voice. 

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will.

As a Christian we are to surrender our desires because we are to do God's will and not our own. Like Jesus said in Gethsemane Not my will but Thy Will be done. We need to have that same attitude when it comes to our desires and surrender them totally to Christ knowing that sometimes they may be against the grain so to speak and not what God wants for us to begin with. 

The Lord may not hear us and answer our prayers and we may wonder why He is not answering them.

It can make you think that you are hearing from God when you are actually hearing the flesh speak to you or the devil. 

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will. What happens if we neglect to do this? How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

It is necessary for me to understand and realize when my desires do not coincide with God’s. Sometimes what I want is not what is for my best in God’s plan for me. I need to recognize when I might be more favorable to hearing something when it does not clash with my plans or wishes. I need to surrender my desires and be willing to do whatever He wants instead. If I neglect to do this then it will be harder for me to detect his nudges, and no’s and then he must shout to be heard. My willfulness and unconfessed sin hurt my relationship with Him. It makes my heart become callous and hardened and unable to detect my desires from His. It causes me to be stalled in my spiritual growth or stagnant. This is what happens to a person who is sinful everything they hear becomes distorted.

Surrender is the best way.  We need to tell God we want to do His will and to seek His leading.  Your will, God, not mine.

We end up operating in our own strength for our desires.

We don't want anything to separate us from our relationship to God.  We just add to our sin if we keep going.  He's not going to speak to us to lead us if we are holding on to sin.  It's a distortion at the least.  step by step--if sin is held onto--you've skipped a step.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7)

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will. What happens if we neglect to do this?

We must recognize and surrender our desires so we will be able to distinguish God's voice.  If we neglect to do this, our desires may not be aligned with God.

You will not be able to hear from God or what you do hear will be distorted.  

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will. What happens if we neglect to do this? How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

If we don’t recognize our own desires, we can never know what we need to surrender. How can I quit doing wrong if I don’t know what is wrong to begin with? Once we recognize what our own desires are, we need to surrender them to God because if we are seeking God’s will, and God makes His desires for us known we would become too easily confused between what we want and what God wants for us. Holding on to sin is bad because the longer we regard it, the more we justify it and continue to practice it and after a while we don’t even pay attention to the fact that we are doing it. This makes it easier for Satan to attack on a new front because we have already given ground in one area. Eventually your head gets all clouded up with sin which should have been gotten rid of and we have become so accustomed to justifying it that when God tells us we need to repent of these things we’re not even paying attention to “outside interference”, as we continue in our sin.

(Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will. If I dont distinguish my own longings from Gods way for me, I can conveniently presume that He agrees with my will rather than listening for His & surrender to it. What happens if we neglect to do this? Per the lesson we may be misaligned from Gods will &/or experience uncertainty in hearing God. How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God? In another lesson I mentioned Ps 66:18 If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; definitely an unnecessary hurdle we all have to navigate. I loved how the fuller passage of 1 John 1:9 included light, fellowship & purity as the framework of maintaining the humble, honest relationship w/ the Lord via confessing.

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will? 

Our desires are not always in sync with those of our Lord. Initially, our heart was filled with envy and strife - only determined to enrich ourselves. In other words, only to gratify our natural appetites/desires. We have low morals and whether at home, at work, or in social life, we are constantly contentious. Having no concern for fellow humans, and being two-faced, often only using people for personal gain. 
We need to recognize this, if we don’t, we will find these desires taking over our thought processes again. As we mature and draw closer to our Lord Jesus our thoughts will take on a new nature, and they will start to be in sync with Him. We will naturally be humble of heart, gentle, mild-mannered, and at the same time always have a genuine love for others - totally the opposite behaviour of this world. In words and deeds, we will remind others of our Lord Jesus - living a morally pure and spiritually clean life. 
In order to be in fellowship with God, we must have confessed all our known sin, and also admit that we are sinners by nature and saved by grace. God has stated over and over in His word that all have sinned – denying this is a complete denial of the reason the Lord Jesus died on the Cross. 

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will. What happens if we neglect to do this? How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God? 

1.  For us to be able to discern God's voice, we must be willing to obey once we determine what he is saying. When we acknowledge our desires up front and fully surrender them, we will be able to better distinguish God's voice from your own desires.

2.  We may never know whether or not we are hearing God.

3.  Unconfessed sin injures our relationship with God and a sin-calloused heart is less able to hear his whispers, detect his nudges, and respond. When we hold onto our sins we are prone to justify them -- even against God's clear Word.

1 We have to recognize our sins and desires if we can't then we don't have the God's will in our heart.  If we ask for forgiveness and ask the Lord to help you to do His will then God will forgive you. You will look at things different and will want to do God will.

2 If we neglect to do this then we will live our lives in sin and never be able to discern God"s will. We will hear Satan voice clearly. We all have to give our lives to the Lord and Pray for forgiveness and do the Lord's will. when we do this we will listen and hear God's word and will want to do what is right and will be able to discern right from wrong.

3 Holding on will only let us live a worldly life never being able to hear God's voice. Unless we are living for the Lord all we will hear is Satan commands.

On 28/11/2017 at 8:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will. What happens if we neglect to do this? How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

Our desires are often sinful desires and we will not hear God speaking to us if we don't surrender our will to him. Our temptations will lead us away from Him if we succumb to them. We will not be able to discern what is from Him

Because of God's will is very important for us, when we pray everyday.

I think God hears me.

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will? One of the strong voices in our head is our own desires, the voice of "the flesh." Desires aren't necessarily bad; they're a necessary part of what makes us humans. However, our desires are not necessarily aligned with God's desires.

Our problem is that we often have "selfish ambition"[58] (James 3:17) that can cloud or interfere with us hearing God's voice accurately. The key is to deliberately humble ourselves before God, rather than be quick to assume that God agrees with us.

Acknowledge your own desires up front and fully surrender them. If you do so, you'll be able to better distinguish God's voice from your own desires.

To be able to discern God's voice clearly, we can't be harboring or nursing sin. It is true God can speak to sinners. Rather than blessing rebellious sinners, however, God promises blessings to those who obey him. God is repulsed by those who sin at the same time they are offering sacrifices before God, pretending to be pious (Matthew 5:22-24).

When we explicitly recognize and then surrender our own ambitions and desires to God in prayer, we are better able to distinguish between them and God's will, as did Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane (Mark 14:36).

For us to be able to discern God's voice, we must be willing to obey once we determine what he is saying. Without a willingness to obey, we may never know whether or not we are hearing God. If you neglect to do this, you will not be able to distinguish God’s voice from our own desires.

How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?  Unconfessed sin injures our relationship with God and a sin-calloused heart is less able to hear his whispers, detect his nudges, and respond. When we hold onto our sin, it distorts what we might hear from God, because when we hold onto our sins we are prone to justify them -- even against God's clear Word.

"If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:7-9)

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will. What happens if we neglect to do this?

We don't want to miss out on the opportunity of God speaking to us, therefore we must be willing to obey God's voice. We get knowledge of who God is and what He desires from us and for us through scripture. When that small voice comes , we can compare it to the Word of God, which will confirm that it is God speaking and not ourselves. When we humble ourselves and surrender our desires, we can be ready to accept God's will.

How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God? Sin is often the result of our own selfish desires. Sin will separate us from God and will hinder our prayers. Therefore, when there is unconfessed sin, we can be sure that what we hear is coming from our own deceitful hearts and not from God. Walking in humility and purity of heart causes us to hear God’s voice more clearly by being more sensitive to the Holy Spirit He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.

• 2 weeks later...

Our own desires are not always obvious to us, may even be disguised in what we call our personality and character, since we have always been like that. In my own life, my own desires basically come down to avoiding pain in any form.  Pain in others and pain in myself.  As a result the fear of pain operates strongly in my life and is the motivation behind many of my actions and words.

Recognizing how my own desires motivate my actions as opposed to resting in the love of God and trusting Him, is part of learning to surrender my desires to Him.  It is a continual process of having my hidden desires revealed and then surrendering them to God.

When we neglect to do this, it results in fights, quarrels, lack of faith and ultimately prayer-less ness etc. James 4:1-5.

When we hold onto sin, the desire for that which sin gives us, becomes greater than our desire for God.  God does not tolerate competition for our hearts.  He will move to reclaim His place.

When we nurse it, we make it harder for God to get through to us.

His goal is always to restore relationship and develop an intimate and deep relationship with us.  When we fail to deal with sin, we are rejecting this offer.

Q. Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God's will.

A. Our desires are very often different from God's plan for us. We thus need to go to Him, tell what we feel and ask Him to confirm or otherwise help us see exactly what He has for us. 

Q. What happens if we neglect to do this?

A. If we neglect to seek God's will we may end up acting based on our own desires and plans and thus go astray.

Q. How can holding on to sin distort what you think you are hearing from God?

A. Sin blocks our communication channel with God and thus prevent us to hear Him (Isaiah 59:1). Consequently, we end up acting based on what we want to do and not what He wants. 

• 3 weeks later...

a.) Because we need to discuss with God what our desires are and then humbly  submit them to Him, letting Him know that we want His will in the situation.

b.) If we neglect to do this it will be our will instead of His.   It will not work out well and no fruit will come of it.

c.) If we hold on to sin, God will not hear us.  Unconfessed sin injures our relationship with God and a sin-calloused heart is less able to hear his whispers, detect his nudges, and respond. When we hold onto our sin, it distorts what we might hear from God, because when we hold onto our sins we are prone to justify them -- even against God's clear Word.

It is necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires so that we can be doing the things that God wants us to be doing. If we don’t we will follow the evils of this world. By holding on to sin we distort what we thing we are hearing from God because we are trying to justify our sin and therefore we will ignore that small voice.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because we need to follow what His will is for us.  In prayer we should ask for the things we desire if they are appropriate and a part of His will.  Let go of your earthly desires and seek out God and His righteousness.  We will be living contrary to what God has in mind for us.   Sin can make you feel so guilty that you’re afraid to even touch the Holy Bible or confess our sins.  We have to confess our sins to God and remember that Christ died for us.  

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Mark 14:36; 1 Peter 3:7) Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will.

God has created us humans with desires and will of our own. Sometimes our desires may not be in line with God’s will for our lives. That’s why it is necessary to surrender our desires to Him, if we want to walk according to His will. 

If we neglect to do this, we may think that God is someone who just puts His stamp of approval on everything that we want. We reduce Him to a level of genie who has to obey to our beck and call. But that’s not what we want from Him, but to be obedient to Him and walk-in His ways.

When we hold on to sin, our hearts become become calloused and hard and we will not be able to hear His still small voice speaking to us. If we sin, we need to to confess and seek His forgiveness so that relationship is restored. We need to keep short accounts with God.

• 1 month later...

Many times our desires are not His desires. Only by reading His word and spending time with God regularly by obeying Him, hearing His voice, we can know His character and Himself. Since if our desires - voice of flesh is not subject to Holy Spirit, we may be lead to obey wrongly. God’s will for us is the best and perfect and hence it is important to understand His will for us by hearing Him, his nudge or impression etc. if we neglect to recognize God, we might be led to hear wrongly and not from God.

Sin separates us from God and causes us to drift away from God and it causes us to become less sensitive to His voice, nudge etc.We may understand exactly the opposite of what God intends us to do. Holding onto sin hinders us from hearing God. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is necessary to recognise our desires when seeking God's will because hiding or pretending that they do not exist or denying them creates a lie between will and intentions and misaligns the truth.

It is necessary to surrender our desires when seeking God's will because we cannot say we do not want ice-cream and hold a dripping cone in the other hand.  Once recognised we need to give it up and the best way to do that is to surrender the desire to God's will.  This takes the form of acknowledging it (recognizing) and giving it willing over to God - to stop fighting, admit defeat and stop trying to prevent or control.

Holding on to sin can distort what you think you are heating from God because we already have a desire outcome or feeling towards what should happen.  The sin one holds on to distorts what we think we are hearing form God.

• 1 year later...

Why is it necessary to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeking God’s will.

It is necessary for us to recognize and then surrender our desires when we are seeing God's will so that God's will is done.

When we neglect to surrender to God and allow His will to be done we enter into a realm where we no longer are in the path of righteousness but rather we open ourselves to allowing the enemy to direct us.

Holding on to sin can distort what you think you are hearing from God as what can be purified by the word of God is being kept impure with sin, so what can be a clear word from God becomes blurry and you begin to question it.