JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Power of the Spirit

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

• 1 month later...

Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

By means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him

Why is this important for us as his disciples?

As we adhere to His leading we too will glorify the Father according to His Will!

In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

John 5:19; Philippians 2:6-7

We are to die to Self

The power of the Lord is from the Holy Spirit which is indicated in Luke 4:14a and Acts 10:38a. Jesus being the son of God makes him divine in nature but still with the reality of being a man. So, as an example to us, the Holy Spirit was a part of him as it now is for us because it is the gift from Jesus. Because we have the Holy Spirit, we too have that same power within us to help us in our own walk and ministry for God’s Kingdom. I experience this a lot as a pastoral counselor because I admittedly don’t always have the answers or know what direction to take with a client but I pray always for the Holy Spirit to guide me and my thoughts, words and actions to be directed by him. He gives me the instructions like he gave Jesus instructions.

It’s clear to me that Jesus performed miracles by means of the power of the Spirit that was upon and within Him because, as Son of Man while on earth, He had set aside His rights and powers. And Scripture repeatedly records that He operated by the power of the Spirit.

This is certainly important for us as His disciples, since our desire as followers of Christ should be to live according to the life modeled by Jesus. If He was emptied of Himself in order to be filled and guided by the Spirit, how much more do we need to be!!! If His entire ministry of teaching and miracles, and even His joy to praise the Father, was dependent on the Spirit, how much more we need to surrender to the divine empowerment that dwells within us!!

(Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

Jesus did miracles by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him. 

Just as Jesus's power to minister is dependent on the Holy Spirit that is upon him and in him, so is it true with us as his disciples.

Jesus serves as our example because he shows us how we can minister by the Holy Spirit that has been poured on us.

If Jesus' power to work miracles traced only to His divinity, then it would have been impossible for the Apostles, much less us, to follow His example. The Holy Spirit's role is to confer power upon humans who have faith in God and who look to God for direction in serving Him and obeying His will for the good of the Kingdom. Jesus , through obedience to the Father, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, showed us how to be obedient disciples operating in faith.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

Jesus did miracles by the means of the Holy Spirit upon him.

It is important because we also have the power of the Holy Spirit  upon us to do the work of Jesus, that we may continue his work.

He showed us how to serve others, everything he did on this earth he showed that we must also do through the Holy Spirit.

Jesus had the power of the Holy Spirit upon Him that enabled Jesus to perform all His miracles. Jesus was the perfect example for us to pattern our lives after Him. Without the Holy Spirit we can do nothing. Jesus was obedient to the Father through the Spirits enablement. 

1.  He did it by the means of the Holy Spirit because him as the unique son does not have any power. The power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick." (Luke 5:17b)

2.  There is power in the Holy Spirit and not in us. We are nothing without the Holy Spirit.

3. Jesus clearly ministers through the power of the Spirit -- in the same way we are to minister. He has laid aside his heavenly glory and prerogatives (Philippians 2:5) to operate in our midst as a Man. In doing that, he shows us how we can minister by the Holy Spirit that has been poured out on us.

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) 
Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon Him? 
Why is this important for us as His disciples? 

When Jesus came to dwell among us He was still fully God in every way. He lived a sinless life and rose from the dead as only God could. However, He also was fully man and it is here that He needed to be anointed for service and granted strength for His ministry. He underwent baptism and even death as only a human could. We must not forget that like every human being Jesus became tired and hungry. There was never a time in our Lord’s life on earth when He was not full of the Holy Spirit, and this meant that He completely yielded and was completely obedient to every word of the Father. It was the Holy Spirit that empowered Him to cast out demons, to do miraculous signs and wonders, and to preach here on earth. This is important for us, for as His disciples, He has given us an example to follow. If we are to be effective in this world, we need to have the Holy Spirit empowering us to be His servant. The power of the Holy Spirit keeps us from yielding to a life of sin – we grow in our likeness to Jesus Himself. We know that it is utterly impossible for us to meet the tests of discipleship in our own strength – the Holy Spirit is the power that enables us to live the Christian life. 

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this

important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry? 

Jesus did miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is important to us as His disciples because the fact that Jesus was “depleted” of His divine nature when He came to the earth shows that He had no power than you, me, or the next person, but operated with a power that is freely available to all of us. This was just one way that Jesus served as an example for us in ministry. I know I’m going out on a limb saying this, but I once heard the comment that if you want to do what Jesus did, you must do what He did. Jesus lived with complete faith in the Father to take care of all His needs while here on Earth. No ands, ifs, or buts. Jesus preached the gospel to the poor but a trend I see which I find troubling is people going out in groups from churches to do what they call “door knocking”, etc., in an attempt to round up those who have nice places to live while traveling past a homeless encampment. Jesus would have done the opposite. The comment made by Jesus …Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. (Matthew 25:45). All I am saying is that for the most part Christians don’t follow Jesus’ example, I’m not saying all, but for the most part. But, getting back to the question, Jesus’ set the tone when He said to preach the gospel to “ALL” the people, even if it means dying in the process. To preach to the poor, heal the sick, visit the prisoners in jail, etc., Here’s a good one:

Matthew 6:19  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: It simply cuts to the heart in me when I hear of millionaire Christians who won’t give a dollar to a homeless person because of what he’ll just do with it, i.e., buy some cheap wine (to stay warm? Sidewalks are cold and cruel), buy marijuana (maybe to forget things). I know I’m getting way off track with this question but since we’re spending so much time in the book of Luke it would be hard not to come across these 2 verses: Luke 6:30-31:  30.Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31.And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. Just a couple more ways Jesus served as a ministry example for us. Every day I see new ones and I admit that I have not followed everything I should have but praise God for the saving grace he so freely gives and prayers that tomorrow will be a better day in His service.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

Answer: By means of the power of the Holy Spirit who is upon Him.

Answer: It is important for us as His disciple because just like Jesus received the Holy Spirit and was able to perform miracles and acts of God, we too, who also received the Holy Spirit can do what the Lord Jesus did before thru the empowerment of the Holy Ghost.

Answer: By being totally submissive and dependent upon God Father and thru the empowerment of the Holy Ghost and by living a life that is consecrated alone to God.

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

yes Jesus performed miracles by means of the power of the holy spirit.

it is important because without the presence of God in our lives we are capable of absolutely nothing.

Jesus led his complete life on the earth in the spirit. Whatever Jesus did He always talked with God by means of prayer and holy spirit guidance. And all Jesus did was for the glory of God. And Jesus was obedient to God.

Jesus did not the miracles because He was God’s Son. It was because of the Holy Spirit’s Power upon Him that they were performed. They were performed in order that they would prove He was God’s Only Son that could do things only God’s Son could do like calm storms and calm the raging sea and raise the dead. For He is the only one can do those things because His power is greater than we can ever imagine. But that doesn’t mean that His power didn’t come from the Holy Spirit because it did. However Jesus is part of the trinity. 
It is important for us as His disciples because we need to ask for the power of Holy Spirit whenever we do something for the Lord. We need to be on our knees either physically or spiritually asking for it. Knowing that He will answer us and give us what we need in our hour of need. He is never one to not give us what we need. He is our example in the areas of surrender, prayer, and devotion and obedience. 

Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

All the written evidence in the scripture indicates that Jesus performed miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit upon him. Acts 10:38 gives us the background of how God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit and power before he went on to heal the sick. In Luke 3:22 we learn, “and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove”. In Luke 4:1 we are told that, “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit left for Jordan…..and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.in the same chapter (Luke 4:18) “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me. Luke 5:17 is very clear and precise, it states that,” And the power of the Lord was with Jesus, to heal the sick.

Jesus shows us the way by his being obedient to God, in communication with God through frequent payers. He was reliable and loved by his father, Luke 3:22 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love, with you I am well pleased.” In Luke 10:21 Jesus expresses his love for God by praising the Lord of heaven and earth. We can benefit a lot in ministry by adopting the qualities that Jesus lived by.

It is very important for us because it is through emulating Jesus that we can share his experience with the Holy Spirit and with God the Father. We can be trusted to get the power of the Holy Spirit and God’s anointing to do his will. God can reveal things to us (little children) which have been hidden from the wise and learned. We can minister effectively if we comply to the example set by Jesus.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. By means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him.

b. Because by Jesus example we are to minister in the same way  through the power of the Holy Spirit.

c. In Jesus we see a Man who lives fully in the Holy Spirit. He is God, yet he has laid aside his heavenly glory and prerogatives to operate in our midst as a Man. In doing so he shows us how we can minister by the Holy Spirit that has been poured out on us.

Jesus performned miracles by virtue of the Holy Spirit working within him.

This is important for us today because we can only act ss God would have us do if we are empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is a great example for us heee on earth.  Before his Passion he was a man like us today.  We can follow hia example if we ket the Hoky Spirit work within us.

Jesus did miracles through the Holy Spirit that was upon Him. He could not do it Himself because he was only partly divine and partly human now. He did not have the power to do it in his own strength now. Jesus had to rely on the Holy Spirit just as we do. It is important because as his disciples we must follow his example and do things through the Holy Spirit as he did. We need to understand that we cannot do anything by ourselves either. Jesus serves as our example because he emphasized over and over that he did not do anything by himself but with the Spirit.  If he drove out demons it was with the Spirit's power behind him; if he healed people it was through the Spirit. Nothing was done without the power of the Spirit. And that is how we must live out our lives too.

Q3. Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him ?                                                                                                                 (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a)

The purpose of  Jesus doing any of the numerous miracles was to bring Glory to the Father above; as the Holy Spirit would empower His Fleshly body, He administered to the different needs presented to Him.

*  Why is this important for us as his disciples ?

Jesus passed on that power of healing and even reviving the dead, to bring attention to the Kingdom of Heaven and also to show us that we too could see miracles happen through us as we also surrender  and wait upon the Holy Spirit.

*  In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

In His love and obedience to the Father and submitting to the Holy Spirit for power He shows us that holy path.                                                                                                                                     Jesus was a 'Faithful disciple '  to the Father, then He discipled others and then Jesus showed us and told us ( as disciples )  to make other disciples for the Kingdom.  

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes He did, because of the power of Holy spirit upon Him

Because Jesus does not only promise us forgive our sin but follow Him in the new life.

In Baptize with water, He knows our Name and we are the Children of God.

1.Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

The above scripture supports that, Jesus did miracle by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him.

2.Why is this important for us as his disciples?

A disciple of Christ must be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit to be effective in ministry. as his disciple, we are to "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:" (Philippians 2:5)

3. In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

Jesus serve as our example in ministry when He: showed obedient to His father  and fulfilled every prophecy concerning himself by the power of the Holy Spirit, for example, He:  “…preached the gospel to the poor; heal the brokenhearted, preach deliverance to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, set at liberty them that are bruised.” Isaiah 61:1-2. It’s His example we are to follow and practice.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

By both being the Son of God and the power of the Holy Ghost in Him.  God was with Him always as well as the Holy Ghost for the three are one.  This concept is hard for us to understand, but it is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.  They always have unity and never disagree with each other for they are one.  God wanted to make sure He will destroy the devil and evil for ever when Jesus Christ died on the cross.  A innocent man unjustly accused by a traitor, a devil Judas Iscariot.   It’s important for us to know that Jesus is with us for He gave His apostles power over the enemy and the power to cure infirmities.  Jesus Christ said to His apostles, you could do nothing without me.  Jesus set the perfect example as a true leader, a Holy man, with power over all evil, He fed thousands with just a few loaves of bread and a few small fish and He did that on two separate occasions.  He cured all kinds of sicknesses, He made the blind to see.  He’s the Lord.  Amen 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.Jesus performed miracles by means of the power of the Spirit that was upon him  as Son of Man while on earth,

Nothing is left undone ,unspoken about the mission of Son on earth .

Son of God humbled to become and be called Son of Man .

Blessed be His Name 

2.We are filled with joy and peace due to this plan of God ,the important plan of God for His children that each one of us are called to seek and grow.

The weeds ( the temptation of sin)around us try to snatch His very own from Him and eternal promises 

If we say we are his disciples(called so) ,  we are commanded  to model our life in His ways.through the helper the Holy Spirit.

3.Jesus serves as an example by going through human life himself ,born of woman.,Being anointed with Holy Spirit at Baptism and living a Godly and Spirit filled life Jesus Christ is our Forerunner He Leadeth.

Love,Joy ,Peace .Humility ,Kindness ,Goodness,Faithfulness ,Gentleness ,Self control..Obedience ,Patience ..He taught us by practicing the fruits of the Holy Spirit .

In several places in Scripture the members of the Trinity are mentioned—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In the traditional words of the church, the one God exists in three persons but one substance. No amount of explanation can adequately portray the power and intricacy of this unique relationship. 

Jesus serves as an example by going through human life himself ,born of woman.,Being anointed with Holy Spirit at Baptism and living a Godly Spirit filled life that we have