JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit Mindset

On 7/23/2018 at 9:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

"Setting the mind on the things of the flesh" is to have worldly desires or to be conformed to this world.

Instead we must be transformed by the renewing of our minds and "set our minds on the things of the Spirit." By having a relationship with the Spirit and yielding unto Him, He will help us to not think carnally.

To have your mind "stayed" on Jesus means to focus on Him and Him alone. First we have to make the decision have Him be the center of our attention and all other things will fall into place.

It requires a lot of will-power. However, since we are mere humans we have the tendency to succumb to the flesh so we need to ask God for the strength, to give us that willpower.

The Spirit assists us in every walk of life and helps us in everything.

This can be a habit but it also should be our way of life.

• 3 weeks later...

Set the mind on the things of the flesh means to set mind in the sinful nature and do the things inspired by the sinful nature. This causes one to continue living in sin unless set free by His Spirit.

Setting the mind on things of the Spirit means to allow our mind to be inspired and led by His Spirit into the things of God and about His kingdom. This enables one to live in the Spirit or walk in the Spirit and not in flesh and not by sight.

To have our mind stayed on Jesus is to trust in Him and His peace to take control over our lives leading us in perfect peace and allow His power to renew our mind and be transformed continually. We will need to allow willfully to lean on Him and His understanding. When we yield to Him and His Spirit, Holy Spirit will continually work in us to make our Spirit man strong to trust in Him, His word and His promise. This will transform us from our natural or sinful thinking to walking in the Spirit and taste victory over sin and its nature. For this purpose Christ was revealed, to destroy all the works of the evil one, and Christ in us has overcome, so we shall overcome and be more than conquerors.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26: 3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “Stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

2a. To “set the mind on the things of the flesh” means, “Those living according to the flesh, set their minds on the things of the flesh” vs. 5a.

2b. What’s involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit” is how one live. The person according to 5b. “but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit”

2c. To have your mind “stayed” on Jesus involves our will, thought, and our emotion. It also involves a daily:  reading & studying God’s Words, being prayerful and staying connected by walking in the Spirit. The promise is for mankind who meet the condition of keeping the mind stayed on God, at all times and in all thing and in all places according to Isaiah 26:3

2d. It does require will- power, but most of all, it  requires the Holy Spirit dwelling in you.

2e.  The Holy Spirit is essential to connecting us to Christ. If we don’t have the Spirit of Christ we don’t belong to him. This can become a habit as we practice walking in the Spirit.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

Setting our mind on the things of the flesh, mean choosing to set our mind on our sinful nature rather than the Holy Spirit. If have our mind on our sinful nature we cannot please God.

What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"?

It involves having the Holy Spirit dwelling within us; therefore, we are not control by the flesh.

What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus?

The scripture tells us, “that is a promise for all men of all ages who meet the condition of keeping the mind stayed on God, and who trust in Him at all times, in all things, and in all places (ps.91)”.

How much of this requires will-power?

When we keep our mind on Jesus, His power transforms us.

How much does the Spirit assist us?

When we keep our mind on the Holy Spirit, the Spirit frees us from the power of our sinful naturel

Can this become a habit as we practice it?

Definite

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To set the mind on the things of the flesh means to live according to the sinfull nature and it's desires, thus giving in to sin which is disobedience to God.

Setting your mind on the Spirit means living in accordance with the Spirit, having the mind set on what the Spirit desires, yielding to Him walking in the Spirit and always focusing on the Spirit in your life.

We are saved by Jesus dying on the cross for our sins and. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to help us. Having the Spirit living in us connects us to Jesus. He helps us have our mind stayed on Jesus, constantly thinking about Jesus, pressing in to become Christlike, in trials and tribulations, always focusing on the love of Jesus, His birth, His death, His resurrection, acknowledging Him for everything and loving Him.

All of this requires will power. One has to be willing to surrender and walk in total obedience and humility. It takes both physical and spiritual discipline.

I believe the measure by which the Spirit assist us depends on every believer. How much we yield and partner in obedience with Him will determine how much He assist us. He is our helper sent from above to to empower, guide and lead us but we must play our part, that is cooperate with Him for full assistans. 

They say habit is second nature so yes, i believe it can become a habit the more we practise to yield to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

Making a priority, our own desires, fixing our hearts and minds on worldly things.

What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"?

Thinking about Our Father, making what He wants, and what is pleasing to Him a priority in our lives.

What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus?

To never forget what Jesus did for us on the cross and why. To never forget where He has brought us from. To remember His teachings, and commands. Those who have their minds stayed on Jesus are able to live a life of peace, love, and understanding.

How much of this requires will-power?

We have to want the life Jesus is offering us. We have to see Him as more important and beneficial to follow, even with all the trials and tribulations, than to follow the ways of the world and what in the long run, the world has or has not to offer.

How much does the Spirit assist us?

It can not be achieved without the Spirit. 
When we submit to Fathers will and have our minds stayed on Jesus, the Holy Spirit is able to re-create us, renew our hearts and minds, till all that remains is Jesus and His desire.

Can this become a habit as we practice it?

As we submit daily to Fathers will, to keeping Our minds on Jesus, His teachings, His ways, and His character, the more it becomes a natural part of our daily lives.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 7 months later...

Q2. What does it mean to set your mind on the things of the flesh? To live carnally, satisfying your own desires, rather than Godly minded

What does it involve setting mind on things of the spirit. 

Allowing Holy Spirit transforming your mind and thoughts, such that sinful nature no longer have hold on you

3.What does it mean your mind stayed on Jesus

Being focused on Jesus with alk your mind ans thoughts

4.Hiw much of this requires will power? 

Its the decision that you take that you will set your mind in Jesus in every situation in your life and making Him Centre if your life. 

5.How much if this the Spirit assist us. 

The Spirit assist us as we draw near to God, constantly and is able to help us, and remind us of the word in situations we face, a d we must choise to yield to His prompting

6. Can this be a habit as we practice it? Yes

• 2 months later...

What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

I've been confused about this for a long time: it seems that there are 1) ideas/deeds that are completely wrong and sinful (flesh), 2) those that are neutral (which book shall I read?), and 3) those that are godly or Spirit. Most of my life is spent in the neutral world of ideas and deeds. So, Paul is saying that we should not only NOT allow ourselves to think/do sin, but that we must positively and affirmatively try to live outside the neutral zone and do things of the Spirit.

I've also been confused about the willpower v Spirit working in me.

Will power is active, originates in my own desires (godly ones, too) and is another word for self-discipline. In contrast, when the Spirit works in me, I am a passive recipient, as I never know when/what the HS wants to do in me. I think it takes both my resolution as well as the help of the Spirit. I have to resolve to do/think in a Spirit-filled manner at the same time willingly submit to whatever the Spirit wants to do. Passively, he may be working without my knowledge. (I like that thought! ) I still feel responsible to do/think when it's in my power to do so.

This brings to mind the passage about not being tempted beyond what we can bear. Perhaps, the Holy Spirit takes control in those times of unbearable temptation or sorrow and sets our minds on Him at those times.

All changes in thought/behaviour take willpower and do become habitual.

Okay, here's what bugs me. I know many self-disciplined people who are not Christian. THey simply change their thoughts and behaviours on the basis of willpower. For many, this is sufficient.

Christians should have and be more than this. Since we have the HS in us, working in us, it should be manifested in ways that show to nonbelievers. We should be more moral. More thought-controlled. After all, God is in us!

I

• 1 year later...

Q2. To set the mind on the things of the flesh means living to satisfy the cravings of our sinful nature. There is no concept of God in this persons life, the object is to satisfy themselves only.

Setting the mind on the Spirit is desiring to please God. To do this we must spend time with God, be aware of the Spirit in our lives and acknowledge His presence, help, power and counsel in our lives. The more time we spend leaning on the Spirit and being conscious of His presence in our lives, the more we will get to know Him and experience His power at work in our lives. 
I think as we start the journey of being conscious of the Holy Spirit and getting to know and acknowledge Him it does take will power but the Holy Spirit will help us in our efforts. As we make this a way of life it will become easier, and the closer we get to God the more we will have joy and long for more and more. It will become a very important part of life, rather than a habit.