JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fruit of the Spirit

The Holy Spirit works in our lives and changes us gradually, moulding, shaping us and making us holy in our Character. Believers must activate the process by walking in the spirit and allowing Him to restrain and break the power of the flesh that hinders them from cooperating with the Spirit. We bear fruit as we yield to and follow His leading in total obedience and humility.

Sanctification or spiritual formation is the theological term used for this process.

In my opinon if a person who has been a Christian for years display few or none of the fruits it could be different reasons. 

1. They yield or live more in the flesh than live in the Spirit and so they do not grow spiritualy. ( for those who display few of the fruits.)

Some Christians are skeptical about the Person of the Holy Spirit and His works, and so do not believe bearing Spiritual fruits is for members of the modern Church.

They are more theoretical than practical. ie. they are happy with knowing the Bible from Genesis to revelation. They have a form of godliness but deny its power. (2 Tim 3 : 5.)

They do not understand the ministry and power of the Holy Spirit.

These people could be saved but are immature.

James 2 : 17-19 says faith without works is dead. As believers it not enough to have faith and not produce works of our faith. Believers must be faith producers otherwise their faith is a dead faith.

Personally i don't think it is harsh. Rebuking and correction is part of the believer's growth. I think it is  very encouraging. Sometimes we need to be reminded of who we are in the Lord.

How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives?

Some fruits are produced immediately, on believing and receiving the Holy Spirit. For me it was love, peace, kindness, gentleness, and goodness. Others are produced as we mature, as the Spirit guides us through life. Through the trials and tests we go through as we seek a life of righteousness in Christ Jesus.

Joy was there for me at first, till I realised I was being left behind ?then it took a while to get use to this fact, for joy to return. ???

Patience was realised, and strengthened after being faced with people, or situations that tried it.

As for self-control, and faithfulness, I fell flat on my face a few times to receive these.

What theological term would you use to identify this process?

Not sure if it is theological, but I call it Gods School, where our lessons are a series of life experiences, which are literally life changing, where you graduate with a masters of the Fruits of the Spirit.

How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits?

Maybe some have not yet received the Holy Spirit. They believe for their own pleasure, or to please others, or believe that belief and faith is enough, so they dont need to change.

Maybe some have lost the fire they had at first through bad doctrine, laziness, or selfishness, and no longer see the importance of being, renewed, remoulded and Spirit led.

Maybe some have their minds still focused on the pleasures of this world, thinking they can do both, World and God. They are still walking after the flesh and not after the Spirit.

Are they saved, but just immature?

If they have received the Holy Spirit, maybe they are still immature, and maybe they have not studied enough, or have not been sharpened, by spirit led believers.

What does James 2:17-19 say about this?

That they have very little or no faith. That Faith is accompanied by action, a new way of life, a change of heart and mind. Without works, good deeds, faith is dead.

Is that too harsh?

No not at all.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 7 months later...

Q4. How does Holy spirit produces fruits of the spirit in us? 

By constantly staying in Him yielding to His prompting 

What theological term used to identify this process? 

Sanctification 

What can be that a person who has been saved for long display fewer or non of this fruits? 

Spending less time in the wird of God and not allowing Holy Spirit to lead us  and giude us 

Are they saved and could be immature? Yes they are saved 

What does James says about this? 

Faith without works is dead

• 2 months later...

How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? What theological term would you use to identify this process? How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

This was a long, hard section, Pastor Ralph!

The process is called sanctification -- conforming to Christ. How does this really happen in life is the question you're asking ... what does sanctification really look like as it happens to us?

You never once used the word "submission," but I think that's a key to sanctification, not the only key, but one of the keys on that ring. You mention both "being led" and "conforming" -- these are synonyms for submission, no?  So the process of sanctification which CAN occur in Christians, involves the active submitting of desires.  All desires falls under this category, whether they be sinful, neutral and godly. All must be submitted.

As I submit my desires, many of which are quite strong, the reality is I don't feel any oneness or sanctification. I believe I'm being sanctified as an act of faith, and to a lesser degree because I can look back and see the old, lousier me. But when/as I submit a desire or need to Him, I have never felt that holy glow that some people talk about. Instead, I feel empty. Lost. As if I'm waiting for something to come into me and fill the void. Eventually this happens, but not until I've gone through the empty stage first. Maybe others don't experience this, but one of the reasons why it's so difficult to give up on a dream or desire is that it's not immediately replaced, but emptied.

All Christians have the Holy Spirit, but only those who make a conscious, willful choice to grow, will endure the process of sanctification. Others take an easier route. Yes, they're saved, but they're barely used by god, (though God can use all people to accomplish his will on earth, even non-Christians.) This ties to the last question you ask regarding James 2, which deals with the behaviour and deeds of Christians. James tells us that living out our faith, by submitting to the Holy Spirit, will necessarily create not just a change of inner character but also a change in outer-directed behaviour, good deeds toward others. The process is not only interior, then, but has an exterior component, that of deeds.

• 1 year later...

Q4. As we walk with the Holy Spirit day by day, earnestly looking to Him for help, guidance and teaching we will gradually be changed and start to produce the fruit of the Spirit. We may not notice the changes as they happen gradually but over time they will become more obvious in our lives. This process of maturing and changing is called sanctification. 
Unfortunately there are Christian’s that feel they are saved and that’s it. They don’t take the time to learn or study anymore. Consequently they do not realise that their faith needs to be acted on, otherwise as James tells us it is dead. We are like God’s gloves in this world and we need to be about His business. 
I don’t know if these Christians are saved or if they are immature. Their growth is definitely stunted by their lack of study and learning. 
James tell us that even demons believe in God, and he also tells us that faith without good deeds is dead. I don’t think his words are too harsh, it is Scripture that is “God Breathed”.