JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Seeking God

This is a very important decision - the first time that a church has consciously sent missionaries out, and a trust in God's decision that the Good News is to be sent out not only to the Jews but also to the Gentiles.   Because of the fundamental nature of this decision, the church unites in seeking God's will.

God gives a clear directive that Paul and Barnabas are to be "set aside", i.e. earmarked for this ministry to which he has called them, i.e. the mission to the Gentiles, and the Holy Spirit then "sends them out."

Maybe we have lost the simple faith of the early church, and their reliance on God for major decisions.    Praying and fasting are still part of our decision making, but we also have our own decision-making bodies ... councils, management teams, sessions, boards  ..... and sometimes we forget that the ultimate decision is God's.

The early church must have seen this as a further affirmation that their decision to take the Good News to the Gentiles was, in fact, the correct one.   Paul and Barnabas must, therefore, have set out in their task strengthened not only by the support of the church at Antioch, but also by the revelation of God's will.

• 1 year later...

Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?

The church special time of seeking the Lord together. It isn't a human-focused "revival" to save souls or return backsliders; it is focused on Jesus, on drawing close to him and listening to him. Biblical knowledge of God is not enough the church need a practical knowledge which only come through fellowship and communication by prayers.

How does God respond to their seeking ?

God respond by speakings to them via the prophet and prophetess. He gave the church directives on who to send for mission and who to keep. Thus He directed "Seperet me Paul and Banabase for the work I call them"

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today?

We don't do more of this sort of thing because of self wisdom that have taken over the worship of Christ today, Again lack of knowledge of the apostolic doctrine and method. Finally may have refuse mentorship by good mentor. Only a man properly discipled can know this. Like me despite my many years in the Lord this my first time hearing this.

What was the importance of this to the church at large?

For growth. For successful mission and for good representation of Christ this communion with God by fasting and praying is very important.

• 5 months later...

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?It is through prayer that we can connect with God and with fasting it helps in laying down our personal weaknesses and come nearer to God.with the two added up thisy yields good fruits as per hearing and following the voice of God.

How does God respond to their seeking?By selecting among them those He wants to go on a special mission that's Paul and Barnabus.

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? praying and fasting are divine acts which are opposed in very many ways like having little love with Jesus for when love someone you do all they say blindly or not "there are some situations without  prayer and fasting they cannot be moved " Said Jesus.Not that without fasting you cannot listen to the holy spirit but considering what we listen ,see and hear it's worthy for us to pray and fast.

What was the importance of this to the church at large? By doing so the church was rest assured not to be misled in the decisions they were to follow since these came directly from the holy spirit.

To the chosen missionaries?This is important to prevent the missionary from becoming a tourist that's the worst a missionary can become once they are not led by the spirit since they're moving different places meeting different people with different spirits ruling in them so to remain in the spirit you have to keep pure and one the ways is by fasting and prayer.

Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?

How does God respond to their seeking?

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today?

What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

When Paul had his experience on the Damascus road and then was laid hands on to be healed, God had made it clear that he was going to use him as an instrument to further the Gospel among the Gentiles etc.  

The leadership in Antioch knew the right way to seek God would be through prayer and fasting. In Acts 12v25 we read that Barnabas and Paul had come back from their mission in Jerusalem. So, the next step would be seeking God for "Where/What next Lord?" 

Barnabas and Saul are separated from the rest for a specific work God has chosen them to do. 

(I am not sure why there is not more fasting and prayer. Personally i have experienced it to work). I guess it varies from assembly to assembly if they still practice 'fasting and prayer' or not. I guess there is lots to do with governing bodies and all sorts. I try to stay out of church politics, it sometimes makes me cringe. 

It was important to the church at large that it wasn't through favoritism or otherwise that Saul and Barnabas where chosen. But God had designated them for that task. Also to the chosen missionaries, all knew that it wasn't their choice, but it was God's choice. When it was hard times they knew they could go to God whose leadership they were following. 

• 1 year later...

I became distracted by Pastor Ralph's mention of the "Homogeneous Unit Principle" -- an idea I couldn't remember -- so spent the last hour reading about it. In many ways, this principle answers our questions.

To sum: The Homogeneous Unit Principle (HUD) was developed by a man whose family had been missionaries in India for three generations. India, he noticed, is communal. By this I mean that groups such a neighborhoods, families and congregations make decisions corporately, not individually. Perhaps this isn't the case as much anymore now that Western values have permeated every nook of the earth, but at the time he was developing this idea, in the 1970s, it made sense. Here's a quote:

Another contextual factor that McGavran was grappling with relates to how people in different cultures make decisions. The model of mission that McGavran was frustrated with assumed an individual decision-making culture. People were evangelised as individuals and invited to respond to the gospel one by one. But McGavran knew that in many cultures around the world, that isn’t how decisions are made. ... But in other cultures, communities make decisions together, not alone. One of McGavran’s co-workers was a man who is perhaps Australia’s most famous missiologist – Alan Tippett. Tippett and McGavran talked about cultures that are “multi-individual, mutually interdependent” decision making cultures.

That quote is from an online, four-part series, "Reflections on the Homogeneous Unit Principle," by David Williams,  https://www.cms.org.au/2021/06/reflections-on-the-homogeneous-unit-principle-part-1-of-4/

It's a good read.

So, to answer the question, "Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?" the answer is simple -- this is how they made decisions; decision were made corporately, not individually. The entire church prayed and fasted, not individuals within the church who "feel so led."

How does God respond to their seeking? God seems to have approved or rewarded their corporate prayers/fasts. 

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? We're individualized. As individuals we pray and fast, but I've never seen a church-wide fast, or even a request to fast. As a solitary individual, I fast for the needs of myself and others, and, at times, for a larger concern such as socio-political issues. I'm fasting now for God's revelation about my future. I want to know what God is calling me to do. I want His direction and leading. Where are the prophets today?

What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries? By this, I think Pastor Ralph is asking what sort of binding or lifting qualities are present when people fast and pray corporately. I'm not sure it's much different than the sorts of feelings or insights we get individually. Some people are very impacted by the people around them so could be more drawn into the experience: others shut their eyes and approach God as an individual who happens to be situated in a crowd.

The prophetic aspect which validates their calling is both specific and personal. Details beyond their names must have been revealed. God could have appeared or spoken to Barnabus and Saul when they were alone, but chose to use prophets.

When a congregation acknowledges the calling by God on someone set apart for His work, the fact that the church laid hands or prayed for that person does seem to validate or confirm his or her calling. The apostles and others must have felt more confident knowing that the congregation had, in essence, validated it publicly.