JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

6. Commission

On 2/14/2021 at 1:52 PM, Bailey said:
  1. Who are the oppressed in your particular community?  How can you assist them and help them find justice?   Look that finding justice stuff is really over rated. I really need someone to shovel all this snow I got☺️.  As far as the oppressed, I'm one, I just deal with it through prayer. 

Bailey, I hope you found someone to shovel your snow.  If I lived near you, I would gladly come and do it.  Praying for you.

1.  Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?   It is reasonable to expect that the power of the Holy Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus Jesus because there are examples in the bible where people have experienced the power of the Holy Spirit. Also in the scriptures ,Jesus told his disciples ''I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing .He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the father.'' So Jesus  himself did confirmed it.

2.  How should you heal the broken hearted in your world? Who are the oppressed in your particular community?    As a believer who is called to serve and to proclaim  the Good News, I aspire to be like Jesus. Since Jesus' mission included preaching the Good News to the poor and healing the sick , now more than ever I would like to heal the broken hearted in my community by telling them about Jesus and all that He has done for us. This can bring them hope for the future knowing that all isn't lost. As a black person ,I am one of the oppressed people in my community .

• 2 months later...
  1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?Yes when we consider the fact that we as believers are ambassadors of Jesus Christ here on earth to give a testimony about the good news of Jesus Christ and what it had done for us.
  2. Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not? I believe that the premise is incorrect because as believers we are to be salt and light in this world; fishers of men; all for the glory of God. 
  3. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think? It can make sensitive to the needs of our community. Yes by learning how to be compassionate towards them w/o judging them. No I believe that they are unable to be separated because w/o integrity from the gospel. I believe in some cases He might have. 
  4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity? Those who are in jail or prison system or about to be sentenced to life imprisonment or death penalty.  By telling them about the Lord Jesus Christ and His death, and resurrection that redeems them.
  5. How should you heal the broken-hearted in your world? Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice? By learning? how to listen to them and their pain when they are talking to me. The people who have not yet found justice for the crimes committed against them that the justice system has not fulfilled.
Edited by Godswriter
Never finished my post

• 1 year later...

1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus? Hohn 14:12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  I must believe it because he said it. I am 13370 days post death experience 3 times. God pulled me back from where the beings are chained under the earth three times out of 7 code blue events. I do fully expect greater things than I have already seen.  . 

2. Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not? Yes quite valid. We each are a body part of christ present on the earth. The body of the betrothed to the son of God himself. Different parts with different giftings all working in unity as one body of Christ.  

3. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think? So very easy to be looking at a worldly view rather than God’s view. I have never seen more caring, sharing, helpful people than the down and out living just a breath above homeless. Jesus said the poor would always be with us. What a wonderful souce of prayer warriors, watchmen, and helps. And give them a bie extra and watch them share instead of hoard up. Being close in ministry with the poor iss a true eye opener.

4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity? A great many war veterans can not shake the sights, sounds, and smell of war. Right now we are loosing many to suicide. No matter how we try to reach them we have yet to find that grade of anointing. They slowly drift away, stop communicating, and then chose to depart by their own hand. Surely they are prisoners of the damage done to their hearts in combat.

5. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world? Bring them gently to a meeting with Jesus. 

6. Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice? Everyone not born again is oppressed of the enemy. The world about them is controlled by him. There is no justice in the world system. As long as someone seeks justice the question becomes have the failed to forgive and move on? Many are sick, unable to get prayer answered and worse by staying in unforgiveness. On the practical side many oppressed are bypassed in the efficient digital government scheme of administration. The total burn out couple has no cell phone, no computer, no vehicle, no money… and most if all systems they encounter have no front desk, expect to email, computer access our forms, we need your address. But they are in a homeless shelter.   How.. be christian, help, and keep them praying for their own solutions. As the successes arrive so their faith grows.

• 6 months later...
  1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus? I believe it can because Jesus said you would do greater works. In John 14:12-14 (NIV) it states: 12) “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13)And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14) You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”
  2. Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not? Yes, Jesus commission is our commission too. But it plainly states in Matthew 28:16-20 that some of the disciples doubted: 16)”Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17) When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. 18) Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19)Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20) and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” I agree that we must both embrace Jesus mission which was the commission (to go and make disciples)…. yet we must adopt it for ourselves (Paul and Peter went out to make disciples but their methods and assignments and missions were unique and different). I agree that one person’s mission need not be another’s mission but the commission is the same (to go make disciples)/(reference Paul and Peter). 
  3. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Being around the very poor can make me feel uncomfortable because I may want to do more for them but can’t (due to the lack of resources available). Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Yes, we can declare the good news (with integrity) to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty because the good news is Now faith and the belief in the resurrected Jesus to give us or them life and life more abundantly. Their faith in Jesus is a substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen… although they may not see the physical manifestation of things hoped for - they can be assured that God’s promises are yea and amen … and will eventually manifest itself in the process of time. Can the two be separated? Yes they can be separated - you may not have any money to give the poor but you can give them something far more valuable and eternal (which is the good news). In Acts 3:6 A lame man begged John & Peter at the temple gate called Beautiful 6) “Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.”Should they be? No they shouldn’t be separated, but sometimes they are due to the will and purposes of God. Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think? Yes, I believe Jesus gave alms to the poor, in Luke 18:22 he instructed would be followers to give to the poor. 
  4. Who around you is a prisoner? Anyone in bondage is a prisoner. Sinners are prisoners, or anyone who may be bound by strongholds or habits are prisoners. A person can also be a prisoner by being bound by sickness, disease, pain, trauma, anxiety, depression, mental health, disabilities, domestic abuse, violence, grief. Physically a person may be incarcerated in a medium or maximum jail. How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity? By prayerfully ministering to them by the Holy Spirit about the good news and the anointing to set the captives free. 
  5. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world? I would pray to God in the name of Jesus, using all types of prayers (intercession prayer, prayer of faith, binding & loosing, consecration prayers, petitions, supplications, etc.)…then, waiting to hear from God, on how He wants me to help the brokenhearted. Give them encouraging words, do something to make them laugh. Pray with them. Introduce them to Jesus and just be supportive and willing to listen and help in the uplifting of their down cast spirits. 
  6. Who are the oppressed in your particular community? The oppressed can be anybody in your community therefore (don’t judge a book by its cover, don’t judge people by their appearances). People who are always smiling or laughing are often hiding behind their smiles oppressive/painful things in their lives. So allow the Holy Spirit to lead you and direct you in your coming and going within your community… Also, remember to pray for discernment and for God to equip you to be used to help & minister to those oppressed and in need. How can you assist them and help them find justice? You can assist them by gathering information, being supportive, being available and helpful by doing research to find them resources, sharing helpful researched information with them, being an advocate for them, taking good notes, being an active listener. Staying alert, prayerful and watchful. 

• 1 month later...

1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?  
    Yes it is reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today, as it was in Jesus. Jesus in fact said that we would do greater works than what he performed in his day. 
  2. Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not?If we are to be followers of Jesus then Jesus commission is our commission too. Our mission need not be another’s it should be according and in line with Jesus commission. I believe any deviation from Jesus commission would not be the will of God. The mission and goals don’t change…an individual’s method may differ but the end results should and must be the same as Jesus’s commission. 
  3. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think? Being around the very poor can make us feel helpless to help them in their current situation. The poverty may not just be a financial one. A person may suffer from poverty of health:mental, spiritual or physical. There’s a long list of lack that someone may suffer from. We may feel uncomfortable when we feel powerless to help. But that’s the POWER of declaring and sharing the GOOD NEWS to the poor or to those who lack. The Good News is that our Heavenly Father is an All Sufficient God, who supplies all our needs according to his riches in glory. We may not have the power or means to alleviate their lack or poverty but our All Sufficient God does! Therefore the two should not be separated, the word & deed are forever linked. Faith without works is dead..even Jesus gave Alms to the poor, he just didn’t share  the Good News…he healed the sick, set the captive free, fed the hungry, gave sight to the blind, raised the dead. 
  4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity? There are many around me who are prisoners: neighbors, friends, relatives, sometimes I’m even a prisoner. We declare freedom to them by preaching or telling them about the gospel’s liberating message with love, gentleness, and with simplicity. 
  5. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world? We heal the brokenhearted with loving kindness, compassion, and with God’s love, his leading and his guidance.
  6. Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice? There are so many oppressed in my community: neighbors, friends, relatives, leaders, students, young people, unchurched, the spiritually blind and dead. I can help them by being a light, speaking up and standing up for truth and supporting and helping them get & find justice. Sharing with them scriptures about justice and keeping them lifted up in prayer and fasting.